Menu

City vacations like San Francisco? Any ideas?

Joules

I love vacationing in San Francisco.  There is so much to see that is easy to access on foot or by bus.  There are active things to go like biking or hiking that dh loves, but also museums and shows that I love.  Just wandering around a city with such interesting history is fun, even if we aren't *doing* anything.  We both love to eat, and there are plenty of gluten-free, healthy options.  And IMHO, the weather is perfect ;-)

My second favorite place to vacation is Disney World, because even though it is all artificial, it has all of the above (plus Mickey!) I prefer to visit in February, since I'm heat-averse.

I know there is nothing that is exactly the same as those two choices, but what other cities do you love/recommend?

Edited by Joules
  • Like 1

US only?

Seattle, Portland, New York, DC, Charleston, Santa Fe, Salt Lake, Boston, Philadelphia, Savannah, New Orleans.

My health is poor, so getting to another country may be challenging, but I'd love suggestions.  I can't do anything where I would have to get immunizations or take prophylactics.  Europe, maybe?

And thanks for the great list!

Edited by Joules

My health is poor, so getting to another country may be challenging, but I'd love suggestions. I can't do anything where I would have to get immunizations or take prophylactics. Europe, maybe?

And thanks for the great list!

Mexico sounds perfect for you. It's easy to get there with no jet lag and there are lots of amazing cities. Morelia, Guanajuato, Mexico City, Merida, Campeche, and San Miguel de Allende would all be wonderful.

• Like 2

Mexico sounds perfect for you. It's easy to get there with no jet lag and there are lots of amazing cities. Morelia, Guanajuato, Mexico City, Merida, Campeche, and San Miguel de Allende would all be wonderful.

How safe would those cities likely be for someone with Celiac and food allergies?  Communicating about cross-contamination seems like it might be hard in another country (since it is already hard in local restaurants where English is not the first language of the staff.)

Chicago is a great vacation. Friendly people. Lots of nice hotels in the downtown Loop which is full of energy and excitement. Great museums. You can ride the EL to interesting historic neighborhoods. Absolutely no need for a car, as there is public transportation around town and to the airport. I've lived in a lot of cities and Chicago is really a gem.

vancouver/victoria BC.   vancouver has easy access - old growth forest within the city, lots of different things.  salt water beaches, china town (actually, the largest outside asia - bigger the SFs)  McDs in richmond (suburb) has rice balls. (we were eating at a restaurant near by - but it hadn't opened and kids needed a restroom.)  I love queen elizabeth park.  UBC has some great first nations exhibits.

sun-yat sen chinese garden - the ring the bell, and the koi come en mass. 

there is also a good science museum, an observatory, the suspension bridge, mass transit 

we generally prefer victoria becasue it's smaller.  provencial capitol. the provencial museum. street performers in the inner harbor.

I'd rec seattle - but I prefer to go places outside the city.  (well, the locks, ray's boat house for seafood, watching the sunset from sunset hill park.  (great view, easy parking, neighborhood park.)  the science center currently has the terracotta warrior exhibit.  museum of flight - and the boeing tour, etc.

both areas have great hiking if you go outside the city.

I had a great vacation to Chicago in June two years ago.  DC area has a lot of museums, restaurants and there are active things you can do too outside of the mall.  THe C and O canal path is really nice.  Taking a trip to Roosevelt Island is a nearby nice walk (it is between DC and Arlington VA).  There are lots of other things than musuems around too including gardens, parks, a fort, historic houses like Mount Vernon and others, and there are opportunities to rent canoes in nearby VA if not in DC itself.   But we have had really nice times in lots of cities though some you need cars.  Phoenix-car.  Memphis-car/  Mobile- car.  Chattanooga- car.  Portland- has transportation but you probably want a car to drive up the Columbia River somewhat which is very beautiful, 

Great cities we have vacationed in:  DC (I lived there for several years), Charleston (SC), New Orleans, Savannah, Key West, St. Augustine, Vancouver.  I have never been to Chicago but my DH used to travel there a lot and always said it would be great for a vacation.  My aunt and uncle just returned from Nashville and absolutely loved it. 

When we went to New Orleans we got these city passes that were good for 3 days and cost something like $80/person, but it gave you free admission to 25-30 attractions in the area.  They more than paid for themselves.  We got free entrance to the zoo, botanical garden, historic mansions, museums, cemetery tours, hop on/hop off tours, swamp tour, paddle boat ride - this list was endless.

How safe would those cities likely be for someone with Celiac and food allergies? Communicating about cross-contamination seems like it might be hard in another country (since it is already hard in local restaurants where English is not the first language of the staff.)

I never noticed strictly gluten free restaurants or anything like that (although I would assume there are some in the tourist zones on the coasts and probably also in the cities I mentioned). I have American friends living in Guadalajara and Mexico City who have kids with lots of food allergies and they're fine, but they're usually eating at home. There are gluten free products in the grocery stores. Since corn is the staple grain in Mexico, it's a lot easier to avoid gluten, but you can't be sure it's not cross-contaminated.

It looks like there are some gluten free places in Morelia and Guanajuato which are my two favorite cities.

The food in Mexico (and a lot of other places) is so fresh and from scratch that I think it might be easier to find meals without gluten than in the US where even in restaurants we often have processed foods. But it would depend what the food allergies were, of course.

I second many of the above - I also really love city vacations - but I'll chip in with a different thought - you might enjoy Colonial Williamsburg.

We just got back from a trip to Dallas. We actually camped (with a motorhome) at a campground just south of the city, Cedar Hill State Park, for $30 a night. There is so much to see and do in the area. With Dallas and Fort Worth, it's like getting two cities for one. This is our second trip in a row, and I'd love to go back because we haven't even seen the half of it. Some of the things we've enjoyed are the Kimbell Museum (art museum in Fort Worth), the Meadows Museum (focusing on Spanish Art) on the SMU campus in Dallas, The Dallas World Aquarium, the Perot Museum and the Fort Worth Zoo. There are also many nice parks and botanical gardens in the area. I highly recommend a visit to the area. I was pleasantly surprised the first time we went. I had no idea there was so much wonderful art in Texas!

Edited by Serenade