Menu

Kansas City

SquirrellyMama

We were in KC for a couple days, and ate at a Gates BBQ today. Good food, but stressful to order. It reminded me a little bit of the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode. We were not ready with our order ;) A guy in line next to me said, "It's your first time here, isn't it." We decided we need to eat there again sometime since we understand their menu now.

I'd also never eaten at a place where they yell back the orders with words that aren't even close to what you ordered. It all makes sense to them.

The weirdest things stress me out :)

ETA: We loved the Nelson Atkins Art Museum. That is a must see if you are planning a trip there.

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

Kansas City Joes > Gates. :)

You want to order the Z-Man.

https://www.joeskc.com

Good to know:) I really enjoyed KC, so we'll go back again. It's only 3.5 hours south of us. We decided to get away from the snow here, and weren't disappointed. It was a perfect 76 degrees today.

It was only 50 when we got back home, but the snow is gone.

Kelly

Not sure that place is any less stressful! Waiting in a line wrapped around a gas station in pouring rain with two little kids at 10:45am for BBQ... I can't even remember what I had. That trip was a blur.

Maybe we should go back this summer.

Walk in and place your order to go.

ETA: And enjoy the food at one of the near by parks.

Edited by Χά�ων

We were in KC for a couple days, and ate at a Gates BBQ today. Good food, but stressful to order. It reminded me a little bit of the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode. We were not ready with our order ;) A guy in line next to me said, "It's your first time here, isn't it." We decided we need to eat there again sometime since we understand their menu now.

I'd also never eaten at a place where they yell back the orders with words that aren't even close to what you ordered. It all makes sense to them.

The weirdest things stress me out :)

ETA: We loved the Nelson Atkins Art Museum. That is a must see if you are planning a trip there.

sounds like ivar's fish bar on the waterfront. . . . you know the locals by how they order.  tourists line up neatly. 

and be sure and plan on giving some (or all) of your fries to the seagulls.  they'll remind you if you forget.

• Like 1

Wow, this brings up memories for me! I went to UMKC, and most Fridays, a friend and I went to Gates for lunch. It stressed me out, too, and I was a regular! Walk in the door, and BAM! 

The Nelson... my favorite field trip as a kid and one of my favorite places to take my kids as a grown-up. It's weird to me entering through a garage, but that's progress (I guess ;))

• Like 2

Dh's grandmother was a slide curator for decades at the Nelson; when we lived in the area she took DD11 to the Gallery for a tour and lunch every week for just about 2 years.  She had short term memory problems but had retained all of her long term memory, so she gave great tours - but every week was the same tour, as she'd forgotten that she'd given that tour (her favorite parts) the week before.  

I went one week and took DS8 (then 5). He was impressed by the full suit of armor (and horse?  my memory is unclear) and a lion statue, and then needed to go run around outside.  Art galleries and 5 year old boys are not natural companions.

Good to know:) I really enjoyed KC, so we'll go back again. It's only 3.5 hours south of us. We decided to get away from the snow here, and weren't disappointed. It was a perfect 76 degrees today.

It was only 50 when we got back home, but the snow is gone.

Kelly

You must not be far from me.

For pizza you want Waldo's (vegan, esp.)

My favorite pizza in the whole world. One summer while in college I worked there. Every night we were allowed to take a pizza home and at the time I lived with my grandma so she and I would have a pizza at 10 o'clock every night. It's no wonder I didn't gain 50 pounds this summer.

• Like 1

I live in the KC area now, used to live in San Antonio, TX, and I prefer the KC BBQ. I just like the sweeter taste. But I love South Carolina BBQ as well. However, I will eat ANY BBQ that is set before me!

We love the Nelson Atkins! And the World War 1 museum is fantastic; my 18 yo son is heading down there today...he loves to pop in a couple of times a year.

• Like 1

I moved to SC from KC.

The thing about SC is that most places only have pork, one can get pretty much anything BBQd in KC.

My favorite BBQ places in KC are Joes and Jack Stacks.

My favorite places for touristy things are the WW1 museum and Truman Library (which is actually in Independence) 

One day we thought we were smart going to Joes while the tornado sirens were going off, thinking there wouldn't be a line. There was still a line but it was all locals complaining they didn't think there would be a line while the sirens were going off. :lol:

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Wow, this brings up memories for me! I went to UMKC, and most Fridays, a friend and I went to Gates for lunch. It stressed me out, too, and I was a regular! Walk in the door, and BAM! 

The Nelson... my favorite field trip as a kid and one of my favorite places to take my kids as a grown-up. It's weird to me entering through a garage, but that's progress (I guess ;))

:ohmy: Whoa!! What garage???? Guess I need to check out their website. 

KC girl, born and raised, but I haven't been back since my parents passed in the late 90s. I went to UMKC also and had a pass to the Atkins every year. Spent my time between classes there or on the plaza.

And let's just say they don't know what BBQ is in California. :smilielol5:

• Like 1

I remember Gates being billed by everyone I knew in KC as the best BBQ ever.  Um... no.  I hated the sauce.  Some people love it, though. 

Minsky's Pizza, now, THAT was good! 

We had Minsky's in Columbia, MO, back in the day!  I had totally forgotten about that YUMMY pizza! Thanks for the memory!  

"Is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."

Haha...I wouldn't go that far. Born and raised in Nebraska...transplanted to FL for ten years, now in Iowa. They aren't big fans of my Husker gear here...or my Royals. 😂

THEY STILL EXIST??? ROADTRIP!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. We had it one night in Overland Park and the next day for lunch in K.C. north on Barry Road. They were both excellent, completely lived up to my memories.

My kids were thrilled because they've been GF for years and Minsky's had great GF pizza.

• Like 1

Love the Nelson-Atkins, so overdue for a visit.

We need to meet there sometime!

:ohmy: Whoa!! What garage???? Guess I need to check out their website. 

KC girl, born and raised, but I haven't been back since my parents passed in the late 90s. I went to UMKC also and had a pass to the Atkins every year. Spent my time between classes there or on the plaza.

And let's just say they don't know what BBQ is in California. :smilielol5:

I know! It's weird! They built a garage on the side near the Art Institute, and the entrance is underground now from the garage. It's so strange. We're a couple of hours away now, but still visit fairly often. The Plaza is really different, too. Some of the landmark stores are now gone.