Menu

Teenagers who defaced historic black schoolhouse sentenced to read books

cintinative

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/us/black-school-racist-sexist-graffiti.html

Check out the list. These were assigned by the judge as a "disposition."  They must also write papers and visit the Holocaust museum and the exhibit on Japanese American internment camps.

THE READING LIST

"The Color Purple," Alice Walker

"Native Son," Richard Wright

"Exodus," Leon Uris

"Mila 18," Leon Uris

"Trinity," Leon Uris

"My Name Is Asher Lev," Chaim Potok

"The Chosen," Chaim Potok

"The Sun Also Rises," Ernest Hemingway

"Night," Elie Wiesel

"The Crucible," Arthur Miller

"The Kite Runner," Khaled Hosseini

"A Thousand Splendid Suns," Khaled Hosseini

"Things Fall Apart," Chinua Achebe

"The Handmaid’s Tale," Margaret Atwood

"To Kill a Mockingbird," Harper Lee

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," Maya Angelou

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," Rebecca Skloot

"Caleb’s Crossing," Geraldine Brooks

"Tortilla Curtain," T.C. Boyle

"The Bluest Eye," Toni Morrison

"A Hope in the Unseen," Ron Suskind

"Down These Mean Streets," Piri Thomas

"Black Boy," Richard Wright

"The Beautiful Struggle," Ta-Nehisi Coates

"The Banality of Evil," Hannah Arendt

"The Underground Railroad," Colson Whitehead

"Reading Lolita in Tehran," Azar Nafisi

"The Rape of Nanking," Iris Chang

"Infidel," Ayaan Hirsi Ali

"The Orphan Master’s Son," Adam Johnson

"The Help," Kathryn Stockett

"Cry the Beloved Country," Alan Paton

"Too Late the Phalarope," Alan Paton

"A Dry White Season," André Brink

"Ghost Soldiers," Hampton Sides

• Like 18

Part of me agrees that this is great.

Part of me wonders, like Diana P, if they can actually read and understand them.

Part of me cringes at the thought of reading as a punishment.  Will these kids always look at reading as a punishment?  Will they be so resentful that they won't get the message the books are trying to convey?

I don't have a better answer, though.  I do like the idea of visiting sites such as the Holocaust museum to help them understand.  

• Like 1

I think it's a great idea, it should be very broadening for them. Anyone who was defacing property probably is not a reader anyway, they are going to view it as a punishment. But it's still good for them to read the books. Some of those books were painful for me to read as an adult. I don't think I read more than a couple of those as a teen. The Color Purple was painful for me to read as a teen but I knew someone who left the book at my grandmother's house and I read it there. 

• Like 2

That's quite a list.

I hope it works.

I can picture it creating empathy or backfiring.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

IMO they should take out "The Handmaid's Tale", which is futuristic and dystopian, and replace it with something like "The Women's Room", which, like all of the other books on the list that I have personally read, is historical fiction.  Maybe "Other Women" would be better--it's much shorter and a bit more contemporary--80s rather than 60s.  

I would also add "Their Eyes Were Watching God" and "The Other Rosa".

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

I pass by this school every time I go to my sister's (it's about 1/4-1/2 mile from her house). I was so sad when I heard about the damage. The only positive from it was that their fundraising efforts went through the roof after word got out about what happened. They are working on fully renovating it as an educational site.

• Like 7

This -- or if they can't read the books.

Just for the sake of conversation, having children with LDs (who have friends with LDs), this would be impossible for such children. It would have nothing to do with unwilling, and everything to do with not possible.

Quick question -- does anyone know what will happen if they don't bother to read the books or write the papers?

• Like 1

Quick question -- does anyone know what will happen if they don't bother to read the books or write the papers?

Depends on the terms of the plea deal. They took a deal to avoid prosecution, so they would need to be prosecuted before they could be given another sentence. (Or whatever the jurisdiction calls prosecution in juvenile court if that's where they are.)

• Like 1

Just for the sake of conversation, having children with LDs (who have friends with LDs), this would be impossible for such children. It would have nothing to do with unwilling, and everything to do with not possible.

I do not think in this day and age this is an impossible task.

Can't read it - audiobook to read it to you.

Can't write it - dictation to a machine or other person.

If they accepted the deal, I'm sure they found the task possible.

• Like 2

Audiobooks. My dyslexic daughter reads well below grade level. There are free audiobook programs for dyslexics (I'm thinking of Bookshark).  There are also CDs you can get at the library.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 1

Sounds like an appropriate punishment.

I hope someone volunteers/mentors them with the project. I imagine for many teens this being an impossible task to handle alone.

They have parole officers visiting regularly, which is..... probably a nice change of pace for that job.

'They must also listen to a recorded interview of Yvonne Neal, a Virginia woman who described her experiences as a student from 1938 to 1945 at the Ashburn Colored School, its official name in tax records.' 

• Like 1