Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW6: Pick a book by the cover

Robin M

img_1146.jpg?w=640&h=853

Four shelves of Shakespeare.

What a beautiful bookshelf.  I love how organized and all the nice hardback books.  Is that a picture of your son on the top shelf?  ((HUGS)) from one momma to another. 

Aggie Amy I grew up in Grandview... Harry Hey Days, baby!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatal

Are you still local-ish? 

• Like 11

A helpful reminder for Kindle and Audible users.  Check out the deals that Amazon offers where you can add the Audible book rather than using your credits on classics.  Based on Lori and Melbo's conversation on Northanger Abbey I wanted to listen to it. 

I could have purchased it for one credit - $10.

or

I could buy the Kindle version for $0.99 and then add on the audible version I wanted to $0.99.  Much better deal. 

• Like 15

It's pretty impressive that I finished anything since I had emergency (and awful) wisdom tooth issues this week!

Yesterday, when I told DS14 his appointment to get his braces was this morning, he replied "Hide Me!" He sends his sympathies.

Sending good thoughts to those suffering pain (tooth or otherwise).

A one day only currently free Kindle book ~  Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser,  This is a book I read many moons ago in either high school or college.  (It's all a blur these days!)

"The controversial classic novel of a young woman’s journey from poverty to stardom in capitalist America.

Dissatisfied with life in rural Wisconsin, eighteen-year-old Carrie Meeber travels to Chicago. With no money or prospects, her only means of survival is a job in a squalid factory—until Charlie Drouet, a charming, well-dressed man, offers to take her to dinner.

Lavishing her with gifts, fine clothes, and her own apartment, Charlie introduces Carrie to a life of wealth and sophistication far removed from the Victorian moralizing of her youth. But when Carrie begins an affair with another man—and a career as an actress—her ambitions and desires reach far beyond what Charlie, or any man, can offer.

Later adapted into the Academy Award–nominated film Carrie, starring Laurence Olivier, Sister Carrie is widely considered “one of the landmark novels of the twentieth century†and a masterpiece of literary realism (The New York Times). But when it was first published in 1900, it stirred controversy for its depiction of female sexuality. In his Nobel Prize speech, Sinclair Lewis declared that “Sister Carrie . . . came to housebound and airless America like a great free Western wind, and to our stuffy domesticity gave us the first fresh air since Mark Twain and Whitman.â€"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

What a beautiful bookshelf.  I love how organized and all the nice hardback books.  Is that a picture of your son on the top shelf?  ((HUGS)) from one momma to another. 

Thank you, aggiemy. No, that's my husband as a boy, sitting on the bench of his grandmother's organ. Here is my son in photo taken before his sisters' piano recital (circa July 2009):

Edited by M--
  • Like 19

Sending good thoughts to those suffering pain (tooth or otherwise).

A one day only currently free Kindle book ~  Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser,  This is a book I read many moons ago in either high school or college.  (It's all a blur these days!)

"The controversial classic novel of a young woman’s journey from poverty to stardom in capitalist America.

Dissatisfied with life in rural Wisconsin, eighteen-year-old Carrie Meeber travels to Chicago. With no money or prospects, her only means of survival is a job in a squalid factory—until Charlie Drouet, a charming, well-dressed man, offers to take her to dinner.

Lavishing her with gifts, fine clothes, and her own apartment, Charlie introduces Carrie to a life of wealth and sophistication far removed from the Victorian moralizing of her youth. But when Carrie begins an affair with another man—and a career as an actress—her ambitions and desires reach far beyond what Charlie, or any man, can offer.

Later adapted into the Academy Award–nominated film Carrie, starring Laurence Olivier, Sister Carrie is widely considered “one of the landmark novels of the twentieth century†and a masterpiece of literary realism (The New York Times). But when it was first published in 1900, it stirred controversy for its depiction of female sexuality. In his Nobel Prize speech, Sinclair Lewis declared that “Sister Carrie . . . came to housebound and airless America like a great free Western wind, and to our stuffy domesticity gave us the first fresh air since Mark Twain and Whitman.â€"

Regards,

Kareni

This is a terrific book. One particularly memorable aspect is how thoroughly Dreiser brings his reader into Chicago then -- the mud, the noise, the lack of infrastructure, the chaos, the vast differences between in town and just beyond, and so on.

And, yes, to all who are nursing tooth pain or helping their young ones through braces, all good and healing thoughts.

• Like 15

I've been reading By Gaslight this morning and can now comment on the lack of punctuation especially for dialogue. I don't dislike it this time. I actually think it might be a bit atmospheric in this book. In my recent Saramago https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7721933-the-elephant-s-journey I kept losing my place and was in a state of constantly having to reread. Wolf Hall I disliked almost from page one so I can't point at the lack of punctuation being much of a factor.

Now back to my book! ;)

I had to return By Gaslight without even cracking it open. My library stack continues to grow while I'm off reading other things. I have many books I need to finish before I could get to it. Since it was the thickest book, I reluctantly returned it. Maybe I'll pick it up again later. Edited by ErinE
  • Like 13

A helpful reminder for Kindle and Audible users.  Check out the deals that Amazon offers where you can add the Audible book rather than using your credits on classics.  Based on Lori and Melbo's conversation on Northanger Abbey I wanted to listen to it. 

I could have purchased it for one credit - $10.

or

I could buy the Kindle version for $0.99 and then add on the audible version I wanted to $0.99.  Much better deal. 

What a great tip! We are considering getting an audible trial. 

• Like 12

Still too woozy to do anything but relisten to familiar audiobooks. Amazing how sick getting a few holes poked in you can make you. My poor husband is dealing with everything, working from home, and oldest flew home to lend support for a few days. How on earth do other people manage? We are reading The Penderwicks and enjoying it. I painted frantically up to the end and now have a bunch of little paintings to try to sell and some that will serve as sketches for larger paintings, eventually. And I learned a ton, since I focused on my town, a place I haven't painted much. My brother-in-law lent me two books of paintings in my style but by master painters. I have spent a lot of time deciding what makes them great. And then I switched to sleeping and trying not to be sick. I am looking forward to reading up on what everyone is reading, eventually. : ) Nan

• Like 23

My kids checked out a RIDICULOUS amount of stuff from the library yesterday. We're working on science fair projects and they claim it's all research. I claim it's all FINES waiting to happen!!!

I don't have a sophisticated reading plan, as some of you seem to... I am not making a serious effort at exploring a specific topic or area. I just read things that a)help to turn my anxiety off when reading before bed and b) make me feel like my brain isn't total mush. I [pick them nearly at random. But I really enjoy all your discussions... I do read or skim all of the thread.

Currently reading : The Unofficial Disneyland 1955.

• Like 17

Still too woozy to do anything but relisten to familiar audiobooks. Amazing how sick getting a few holes poked in you can make you. My poor husband is dealing with everything, working from home, and oldest flew home to lend support for a few days. How on earth do other people manage? We are reading The Penderwicks and enjoying it. I painted frantically up to the end and now have a bunch of little paintings to try to sell and some that will serve as sketches for larger paintings, eventually. And I learned a ton, since I focused on my town, a place I haven't painted much. My brother-in-law lent me two books of paintings in my style but by master painters. I have spent a lot of time deciding what makes them great. And then I switched to sleeping and trying not to be sick. I am looking forward to reading up on what everyone is reading, eventually. : ) Nan

Sending you air kisses and best wishes for a quick recovery, Nan.  I presume that you'll have physical therapy, yes? Nice that your oldest could return to lend a hand.

Take care.

• Like 14

No, that's my husband as a boy, sitting on the bench of his grandmother's organ. Here is my son in photo taken before his sisters' piano recital (circa July 2009):

Such a lovely portrait.  Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Nan!  I'm glad you are back with us.  Hope your recovery is speedy!!!

• Like 12

Thank you for sharing the beautiful picture of your son, Melissa  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  as well as the sonnet.  I don't think I have to say good luck with your year long Shakespeare read as I know you'll accomplish whatever you set your mind on.  

Take it easy Nan and sending you lots of virtual chicken soup and get well thoughts and prayers   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Braces - erg. Remember my trials and tribulations of having them.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Stacia - An idea for your library: Blind date with a book

Looks like a fun read -  Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to S*x, Marriage and Manners

Lydia Davis and Jhumpa Lahiri Learn New Languages

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 17

Waving hello and just quickly checking in before I catch up on this thread.

Eager to catch up, so I'm just going to link Goodreads  page that lists  what I've finished. I read 15 books last month and got a quite a bit done in two longer ones. I didn't like all of the books I finished but I didn't ditch anything in January, either. Alan Bradley's Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie was a nearly-abandoned one, to my surprise. But I finally finished it.

I have not finished anything except for a children's book this month and am not sure I'll finish anything other than a library book I'm in the middle of in the next couple of weeks. February blues have hit hard.

Thanks to the lovely Stacia, I have a copy of 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami to send a long if anyone is interested.

• Like 15

Well, dr. confirmed that my kids have the flu. I stopped by the library to pick up a hold. Robin, while there I saw a Blind Date with a Book display. I admit that I grabbed a book. I have no idea what it is! 

The same library is also having a reading challenge that is like our bingo. Read a book from each category and win a prize. Some of the categories overlap.

Book by local author

Book set in my local area

Book with a blue cover

Book published my birth year

Graphic novel (this will be hard for me so suggestions welcome)

Picture book (too easy...read those to ds all the time)

Award-winning book 

YA book

Recommended by staff

Biography/Autobiography

I'm making chicken soup for my invalids. 

• Like 16

I'm listening to A Man Called Ove, and clearly I'm a curmudgeonly old lady because I don't find it charming. Bits of it have touched me, but I'm annoyed with how predictable it is, and how I know there is going to be some lovely, pat, feel good ending. Actually, what really annoyed me was having Ove, at age 59, being described as elderly. That isn't old!! I'm only finishing it to fill in a space on my library system's reading challenge.

I ran into some of the same issues and was, therefore, so relieved when a friend commented:

A Man Called Ove seems to be wildly popular but I didn’t really like it. A cranky, aggressively rude man is loved by generous, warm-hearted women — why?

I knew everyone and her mother and uncle had read Ove, which is part of the reason I had resisted it, but then it came up as a possible book club selection. I appreciated that she validated my “Blergh.â€

• Like 16

Just finished The Nightingale. I'm misty eyed and sitting here trying not to cry and make a fool of myself in front of my hubby. What a wonderful story. More later after I've digested it a bit

Robin, I have The Nightingale waiting for me on my phone. I have been hesitant to read it because I didn't like All the Light You Cannot See. I think all the hype pushed my expectations too high. I am afraid that the same thing will happen with The Nightingsle. But in reading your reaction I think I might crack it open soon

• Like 18

I did enjoy that book (and even laughed out loud a few times), but gosh, that part did really annoy me too.  59 isn't even close to old.  My dh is turning 58 next month.  Dh can not only buy a computer without problems, he can take one apart and rebuild it.  I thought the story would have made more sense if Ove had been 69, at least.  I can only think that the author must be really young?  

I did like the story better as it went along, and it was clearer from Ove's backstory how he ended up the way he was.

Fifty-three here. I was beyond perplexed by fifty-nine being depicted as so old and clueless. What?!? My knees and feet are feeling old, but that's about it.

Edited by M--
  • Like 16

I will freely confess that I do not get the Kate DiCamillo love at all. The only books of hers I've tried I did not like. I thought they were way to emotionally disturbing for the age of kids the stories seemed to target.  I'm sorry for your poor sweet girls, and agree with Lori D's suggestions - find something sweet and life-affirming for them, pronto! They will enjoy reading the dark stuff soon enough, but no need to rush it. My girls are 10 and 14 and one is one either side of that divide - my dd10 hates stuff where moms die or sad dark things happen. Dd14 has just in the past year started to enjoy a darker story that makes her think and question things. I'm not sorry to have waited with older dd till she was ready.

Sigh. I actually angered someone by confessing my ambivalence about KD. I appreciate your observations.

• Like 15

And another book-ish post ~

8 Ways to Read (a Lot) More Books This Year  by Neil Pasricha

And some enjoyable posts from the Word Wenches site ~

What We Are Reading

The Fictional Cities

On Porridge

Aprons

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you! I know I am not alone in my appreciation of cool curated link lists. I keep the FB for our library group, and the BaW thread often supplements the links I provide there.

• Like 12

The sonnets

It is a reflection of my limitations, obviously, and not the poet’s, but the sonnets, with one exception, hold little appeal for me. The exception is Sonnet 74, which was sent to me with a note that read, in part:

Below is Shakespeare’s Sonnet 74, where the poet addresses his beloved, advising that his spirit will live on after his death in what he leaves behind (his poem) and his spirit in his beloved’s heart. Bold emphasis is mine.

But be contented: when that fell arrest

Without all bail shall carry me away,

My life hath in this line some interest,

Which for memorial still with thee shall stay.

When thou reviewest this, thou dost review

The very part was consecrate to thee:

The earth can have but earth, which is his due;

My spirit is thine, the better part of me:

So then thou hast but lost the dregs of life,

The prey of worms, my body being dead,

The coward conquest of a wretch’s knife,

Too base of thee to be remembered.

The worth of that is that which it contains,

And that is this, and this with thee remains.

Forgive the self-referential quoting, but I wanted to add that the person who sent the note and sonnet mentioned the death of his mother. Shakespeare is amazing, no? The sonnets are love poems, but readers can readily appropriate lines, phrases, passages that speak to their specific experience.

• Like 13

Aggieamy! I am sorry I spelled your name incorrectly above.

Stacia, guess what book I received this week? The Vonnegut Encyclopedia: Revised and Updated Edition (October 2016)!

I would like every. single. post. in the BaW thread every. single. week. Just so you all know.

Wishing everyone a wonderful rest of the week!

• Like 14

book%2Bcover%2Bpassenger.jpg

What do you think?  Which one should I read?  I dare you to try picking out a book based on its cover alone and see what you end up with.   Of course, you have to share.

<snip>

What are you reading this week?  

I like this one best.

I picked this one for me (granted it wasn't *just* the cover... I only compared Kindle books that were free).  It looked happy.  With how sick my daughter is, I need happy.

51Kg%2Bq7-ncL.jpg

I am currently reading The Train to Crystal City by Jan Jarboe Russell.  It's the San Antonio Mayor's Book Club pick this season.  I haven't gotten far into it, but I didn't even know more than just Japanese-Americans were put in internment camps.  Other nationalities were, too, including German.  My great-grandparents were third generation Germans.  Most of the farmers around them were also children/grandchildren of German immigrants.  It made me wonder if they were every worried because of anti-German sentiment or the internment camps.  Or if they even knew about the internment camps.  It's crazy what fear can do.  It just kind of hit close to home because my mother's father's side is mostly German.  They even spoke Pennsylvania Dutch at home and everything.  My middle boy is named Frederick after my grandfather and great-grandfather and is called Fritz because that was my grandfather's nickname.  People would always say to me, "Did you know that's German?" when he was a baby.  Yes.  Yes, I most definitely did.

I live just a about 15 miles away from Truman's home in Kansas City and just this year DH and I (both born and raised here) made it to his library for the first time.  Really impressive man.  So humble and just a good soul. 

I'm jealous.  I told my husband we need to go on vacation to Missouri.  He knew immediately why I'd want to.

I did enjoy that book (and even laughed out loud a few times), but gosh, that part did really annoy me too.  59 isn't even close to old.  My dh is turning 58 next month.  Dh can not only buy a computer without problems, he can take one apart and rebuild it.  I thought the story would have made more sense if Ove had been 69, at least.  I can only think that the author must be really young?  

I did like the story better as it went along, and it was clearer from Ove's backstory how he ended up the way he was.

59 old?!?!  My dad just turned 72 on Christmas Eve.  My middle son blurted out, "He's old!"  My dad said the kid is right, 72 is old.  59, though, is definitely not old.

I finally finished Library of Souls last night. I liked the series but I do feel the last book went on for too long. 

It did go on a bit too long.  But at the same time I hated for it to end!

On a related dental note: Yesterday, when I told DS14 his appointment to get his braces was this morning, he replied "Hide Me!" He sends his sympathies.

:(  My big two got their braces off a few months ago.  They told me their little brothers are not allowed to ever get braces because they are so miserable to have (I never had to have them).

Well, dr. confirmed that my kids have the flu.

I'm sorry.  Our taekwondo instructor's middle daughter was confirmed to have the flu yesterday.  We all (except my daughter because she reacted badly to last year's shot) got flu shots so I am hoping they work.  We all (except the littlest) have/had nasty colds.

In the last couple days I've finished two books.  One was Stories From Separation, Texas by John J. Asher.  That's my collection of short stories square for the 52 Books Bingo.  It was okay.  The stories were mostly seriously depressing.  The other was D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths.  I read it to my 8 year old and my 10 year old listened in a bit.  I can totally see why people love this book.  The pictures are beautiful and the stories are lovely.

• Like 16

Back from Barnes and Noble - Picked up The Passenger, the Fifth Season by N.K. Jeminsin, Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time, Charlaine Harris's Midnight Road and my pick a book by the cover.

Inheriting Edith by Zoe Fishman

28594365.jpg

James picked up a couple Star Wars books as well as comics at the comic book store.

Caught the last quarter of the Superbowl. John said as soon as I walked in the room, the Patriots began to win. Sorry Stacia. It's all my fault. :lol:

Watched Lady Gaga's halftime show on youtube. Classy lady!

That cover is gorgeous...

• Like 15

I've just finished this: The Mission of Friar William-- it's the 13th century memoir/travelogue of a Franciscan friar as he goes to preach to the grandson of Genghis Khan! It's a fascinating story. It involves politics and religion, danger, weather, travel, cultural practices, descriptions of food & drink, alphabets, languages, cross-cultural misunderstandings... it's so interesting. I've been reading a lot about the Mongols lately (Weatherford's books) and this one was referred to. I was glad to find a modern edition. In addition to the fascinating text, there is a brilliant introduction and notes and bibliography. The amount of scholarship required to produce this edition is phenomenal: the editors had to study scholarship from China, Persia, Baghdad, the crusades, plus medieval Europe, in all kinds of different languages, in order to provide context. [Of note, one of the British scholars they refer to was mentioned by Edith Nesbit in the Story of the Amulet as 'the nicest gentleman at the British Museum. :)] Hope the picture comes through- it's a nice cover. :)

ETA: Oh the picture is teeny! But if you click on it you can see it better. :)

post-20905-0-98335200-1486527275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Nyssa
  • Like 16

About Love in Time of Cholera... I have really mixed feelings about this book. I read it first about 20 years ago (or more!) and I absolutely hate, hate, hated it! The guy was so selfish, getting involved with tons of women, with his supposed eternal devotion to that one lady as an excuse! When anyone else would have said, 'Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be, I'll go find someone else.' Blech. It just made me mad.

But now that I am 25 years older... even though that is still all true... I can't help thinking that there is something about that devotion that is... rather fine.

Wonder how I'll feel about it when I'm as old as they were at the end!

Edited by Little Nyssa
  • Like 16

:grouphug: to all who need them. I have not been doing much reading because we have a cold running around the house. I knew it had gotten bad when I popped into the library last night to try to grab a book and the librarian was shocked that I had no holds to pick up. She kept asking if I was ok. It was very sweet and my husband couldn't stop laughing.

• Like 11

I'm sorry.  Our taekwondo instructor's middle daughter was confirmed to have the flu yesterday.  We all (except my daughter because she reacted badly to last year's shot) got flu shots so I am hoping they work.  We all (except the littlest) have/had nasty colds.

Flu vaccine did not prevent the flu in my house this year. The dr said we aren't the only ones he's seen this season who have the flu yet gotten the shot. People seem to assume that one didn't get the shot if you come down with the flu. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 12

Flu vaccine did not prevent the flu in my house this year. The dr said we aren't the only ones he's seen this season who have the flu yet gotten the shot. People seem to assume that one didn't get the shot if you come down with the flu.

We all got hit last year. My ds was scary sick as in hallucinations etc. Both kids were in the time window for taking Tamiflu and they ended up being healthy before dh and I who were sick first. It was amazing how well it worked. We had the 3 strain flu shot this year but apparently there is a 4 strain one too. Our whole family is a bit paranoid about the missing strain.

• Like 13

Flu vaccine did not prevent the flu in my house this year. The dr said we aren't the only ones he's seen this season who have the flu yet gotten the shot. People seem to assume that one didn't get the shot if you come down with the flu. 

Well, I know that my taekwondo instructor's daughter did not get the shot and someone else I know locally who was tested for flu (but was strep rather than flu) also didn't.  But I know they don't always pick the right strains which is why I am hoping ours work for whatever strain is going around here.  Cameron's fever went away by the next morning and he's just coughing now, so, but acting mostly normal otherwise, so I'm going with he just has another cold.

• Like 14

I swear I thought I posted yesterday but it seems to have vanished into cyberspace. The most likely explanation is human error by this particular human. ;) I'll repost an abbreviated version.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Nan.

Hugs to all who need them.  :grouphug:

I finished Three Men in a Boat yesterday and loved it. It did drag a bit near the end, but mostly it was hilarious. I could relate to so many of the descriptions of camping experiences. Thank you Mom-ninja for posting updates as you read  it. That's what caught my eye and made me decide to read it.

Did you notice the new re-reading feature on Goodreads? :hurray:

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/817-rereading-is-here-let-s-say-it-again-rereading-is-here

:hurray:  This is great news!

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 16

I've just finished this: The Mission of Friar William-- it's the 13th century memoir/travelogue of a Franciscan friar as he goes to preach to the grandson of Genghis Khan! It's a fascinating story. It involves politics and religion, danger, weather, travel, cultural practices, descriptions of food & drink, alphabets, languages, cross-cultural misunderstandings... it's so interesting. I've been reading a lot about the Mongols lately (Weatherford's books) and this one was referred to. I was glad to find a modern edition. In addition to the fascinating text, there is a brilliant introduction and notes and bibliography. The amount of scholarship required to produce this edition is phenomenal: the editors had to study scholarship from China, Persia, Baghdad, the crusades, plus medieval Europe, in all kinds of different languages, in order to provide context. [Of note, one of the British scholars they refer to was mentioned by Edith Nesbit in the Story of the Amulet as 'the nicest gentleman at the British Museum. :)] Hope the picture comes through- it's a nice cover. :)

ETA: Oh the picture is teeny! But if you click on it you can see it better. :)

This is very intriguing to me.  Off to see if they have it in our library system.  Thanks for the review!

• Like 13