Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW6: Pick a book by the cover

Robin M

Well, the rest of you can read this afternoon -- I'll be sipping cold beer and eating nachos in front of the tv with dh! I may not last the entire game, but do enjoy watching football once in a while. Go Falcons!

I'm listening to A Man Called Ove, and clearly I'm a curmudgeonly old lady because I don't find it charming. Bits of it have touched me, but I'm annoyed with how predictable it is, and how I know there is going to be some lovely, pat, feel good ending. Actually, what really annoyed me was having Ove, at age 59, being described as elderly. That isn't old!! I'm only finishing it to fill in a space on my library system's reading challenge.

My other book-in-progress this weekend is the third in the Rivers of London series, Whispers Underground

ETA: About finding things to do other than watching the Super Bowl.... Apparently half of Southern California thought it would be a great afternoon to go to Disneyland, everyone thinking it would be empty because of the game. My ds just got to work and said the place is PACKED!

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 24

...I forced myself to finish Picture Miss Seeton  - it was ok. I couldn't get into it so won't be reading any more of the series...

... And I finished listening to Brat Farrar - I enjoyed this from beginning to end - good story, great atmosphere and Tey's writing is fabulous. I'm wanting to reread this in print now...

Waahh! So sorry you didn't like Picture Miss Seeton! The original 5 books by Carvic are among my favorite "comfort food" books that I've re-read a number of times, esp. when totally stressed out.

Brat Farrar -- However, I am looking forward very much to reading the last 2 Tey books that I haven't read yet: Brat Farrar and Miss Pym Disposes. I've been slowly savoring them a little at a time now for the past year. Tey's writing is SO yummy! Rich, complex, and very subtle. Both books were part of my "Christmas haul". ;)

....Today I finished "Dune." I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the second book in the series. There is still quite a story to be told. Has anyone read the sequel? Was it as good as Dune?...

I'm with Chrysalis Academy on Dune. I read the first 2 and part of #3. The original is so creative; #2 was interesting, and not a bad sequel. Couldn't get into #3 and didn't care for where he was headed with the world at that point, so I stopped.

...I made it through three chapters of Crocodile on a Sandbank by Peters on audiobook.  I found the combination of the narrator's voice and the first person style of the book annoying.  It made the main character annoying, and I decided that I would stop before I totally disliked her.  This way I can try again at a future point in print...

That was a case of the first book being such an authentic echo of actual Victorian writing that it was quite fun. I was so angry with the sequels -- they stripped the richness of the world, turning the characters into annoying caricatures, and giving just a bare, superficial nod to keeping up the pretense of the setting, and shifting the focus on to churning out unbelievable plots with just a superficial nod to Ancient Egypt/Victorian archeology and authenticity. SOOO disappointing! :( Anyways, hope you will persevere and READ the original book of the series and enjoy it!

• Like 18

book%2Bcover%2Bcristina.jpg

I like this one, but I'm a sucker for a gorgeous silhouette. Of all the books, this would be the one I'd pick up first to read the back blurb.

A giggle for the non-sports folks like me. The British Museum is tweeting with the hashtag #superbowl which has nothing to do with American sports rather "superb owls". I told The Boy this who commented that Superb Owl parties sound more fun than Super Bowl parties!

https://mobile.twitter.com/britishmuseum/status/828324958384300032

I think I'd enjoy a superb owl party!

We'll be watching the Super Bowl tonight. A friend is cheering in it, we used to live in a city that's part of the NFC South, and we lived in Boston for a bit. 

Today I finished "Dune." I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the second book in the series. There is still quite a story to be told. Has anyone read the sequel? Was it as good as Dune? I'm using this book to cover the "One Word Title" on the BINGO board.

I read the next three books and found them a slog to work through. The first book is definitely the best in the series.

• Like 17

I'm in a bit of a reading slump, partly due to stressful life events, and partly due to not really enjoying the books I started. I was initially really excited to read Euphoria; I had several friends in grad school who'd done their fieldwork in New Guinea, and I'd planned (at the time) to work in another part of Melanesia (Tonga). So I'd read quite a lot about Melanesian cultures. Knowing it was based on the lives of Mead and Bateson, I assumed it would end in vaguely the same way their lives did. Then, when I was partway through it, I accidentally discovered that my assumption was mistaken, and now I can't bring myself to finish it.  :sad: 

I also started The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break, since one of the themes I'm exploring this year is "ancient myths with a modern twist." But so far I'm not finding it very engaging. Not much to the story, and the writing isn't anything special either. I will probably keep plugging away, skimming it here and there, to the end. But I'm a bit disappointed by the banality of it, because I thought the premise had so much potential.

The one book I'm really enjoying, also on the "myths with a twist" theme, is XO Orpheus: Fifty New Myths. It's a collection of short stories, which range from fairly faithful retellings with an added twist to stories which simply use a mythological theme or idea as a jumping off point (e.g. labyrinths as metaphor). I originally bought it for the Madeline Miller story (she is the author of Song of Achilles, which I adored). Her story, on Galatea, did not disappoint. Others I've really liked include one on Daedalus ("The villagers watched as he touched down on the sand. Shoulder-sore, sun-pink, his arms caged in wooden shelves of feathers, he was not the harpy, not the geryon they feared.") that had an especially touching and unexpected ending. One of the most amusing stories portrayed the Bacchae as a group of New England spinsters, devotées of Emily Dickinson who occasionally devoured unwary PhD students.  :laugh:

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 20

I finished Spark, which was quite inspiring. I think I'm going to keep a running/fitness/exercise book going at all times through this year, to try and stay motivated. Today I did an hour long, 5.5 K walk/sprint routine and I am whipped now. So tired, but it felt really good. I'm making dd read this book next and I'm going to start dragging her out with me to run.   Next up is The First Twenty Minutes, a recommendation from . . . Mom-ninja, I think?

I'm going to skip the Superbowl, because I have the house to myself to cook and read, and the Superb Owl, because we don't have any around here. Although I was pleased to hear that my boy Tom Brady has still got it - I did watch a lot of football when I lived in Boston and was a fan of his at the time. It makes me happy that somebody a year older than me is still a high functioning professional athlete. 

(I asked dh for an update on the superbowl this morning, because I realize I didn't even know who was playing. I saw in the paper that Lady Gaga is performing. Truth? I actually don't even know if LG is male or female, gay or straight, cis or trans or . . . whatever. That's how much attention I pay to pop culture.)

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 19

I think this will be my choice for "pick a book by it's cover." I actually spotted it on a table in a bookstore and picked it up to see what the little dots were — from a distance I thought they were insects, but then discovered they were swimmers in an Icelandic hot spring. 

41KqgPxPF9L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 20

... I made it through three chapters of Crocodile on a Sandbank by Peters on audiobook.  I found the combination of the narrator's voice and the first person style of the book annoying.  It made the main character annoying, and I decided that I would stop before I totally disliked her.  ...

My husband and I also gave up on the audiobook when we tried it last summer.  I may give the written book a try at some point.

...Stacia, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about The Second Mrs. Hockaday. The subject interests me but it is an epistolary novel and I am not good with those so I haven't ordered it from the library yet....

I'm drawn to epistolary novels, so now The Second Mrs. Hockaday is actually looking more appealing. One man's treasure ....

I like this one, but I'm a sucker for a gorgeous silhouette. Of all the books, this would be the one I'd pick up first to read the back blurb....

I too am drawn to the cover of Cristina though all of the covers are intriguing.

I finished the historical romance anthology of linked stories Four Weddings and a Sixpence by Julia Quinn, Elizabeth Boyle, Laura Lee Guhrke, and Stefanie Sloane.  As with many anthologies, I found the stories differed in their appeal; I liked best the one by Julia Quinn.  It was pleasant but it's not likely a book I'll re-read.

“Each love story in this superbly crafted anthology is expertly imbued with the distinctive literary DNA of its creator, and the end result is a wonderfully witty, sweep-you- off-your-feet romantic experience for long-time fans as well as readers new to these marvelously gifted writers.†(Booklist (starred review))

In yesterday's mail, I received an unexpected package from Amazon containing Eidolon (Wraith Kings Book 2) by Grace Draven which is a book I've had on my wishlist for quite some time.  Might this be from you, Secret Sister?  If so, thank you very much!  Since this is book two in a series, I will be re-reading the author's Radiance (Wraith Kings Book 1) in the near future.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 19

Hello everybody! I missed a week (well, the thread anyway) - life got in the way. Happy to be reading what everybody is reading again!

I finished The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett, and started on Queens Play. These have slowed me right down, because I am looking up all the references all the time. Should just read it, enjoy it, and remain ignorant.

P.S. Can't work out how to post images of book covers....

for book covers, if finding online, you can right click - copy, then paste in the clipboard in the menu bar in the upper right.

Oh, Bummer! I thought this book sounded interesting, but I was hoping to see some positive reviews on here.

I read all the dune series way back when and the first book is the only one I've read twice.  The others were good and carry on the story but don't match up to Dune.  

(I asked dh for an update on the superbowl this morning, because I realize I didn't even know who was playing. I saw in the paper that Lady Gaga is performing. Truth? I actually don't even know if LG is male or female, gay or straight, cis or trans or . . . whatever. That's how much attention I pay to pop culture.)

She's similar to Madonna but has a better voice and more dignity.

• Like 18

I have several books in progress, but set them aside to focus on new reads. Such a good decision! I had a wonderful reading week and I'm excited to share them.

Books read last week:

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. Fantasy. Tiffany Aching, wielder of frying pans and scathing wit, discovers her world and herself aren't as they seem when her brother disappears one day. My second Pratchett book completed and an excellent choice it was. I have Reaper on hold (the second in the Death series) and now I'll need to find the second Tiffany Aching book. Wonderful clever read.

"Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!"

The Big Short by Michael Lewis. Nonfiction-Financial History. Lewis, author of Liar's Poker and Moneyball, returns to the financial world to document the beneficiaries of the subprime meltdown in 2008.  I worked in the banking world the years Lewis surveys and I think he accurately captures the environment and events. He does an excellent job explaining the various financial terms in plain English. But he has definite opinions and having worked in the finance world for many years, I have to disagree with him on those opinions. I'm speaking very generally, but I hope this is helpful.

Derivatives: These are financial contracts whose value depends on the price of something else. They take many forms and are used in many different ways. They've been misused (the Orange County bankruptcy is a notorious example), but they have real world use. Lewis states he dislikes derivatives and thinks they should be banned. But he makes no mention of the size of the derivative market nor how they're used, only how they're abused. Every private and public company I worked for has used some form of derivatives to help manage their cash flow and any blanket statement to ban them is coming from someone who hasn't seen how they're useful in the business (not banking) world.

Collateralized Debt or Bond Obligations (CDOs or CBOs): Lewis also dislikes these and also thinks they should be banned, which ignores their history and utility. Mortgage loans are attractive to pension funds and insurance companies because they are usually long-term (15+ years), but are unattractive because they can be repaid without penalty. So CDOs were created to shield these investors from early repayment. In the mortgage loan market, CDOs are mortgage loans bundled together with the monthly payments divided among different levels called tranches. Lewis claims tranches should be called floors, ignoring the fact that the finance world already uses the term floor for something completely different; business people, traders and investors really, really dislike re-using terms due to confusion that could lead to litigation. Mortgage holders pay their regular monthly note to a bank, but in simplest terms, the bank then pays out the funds in order of the tranche levels. The top tranche holder get its money first, then the next tier gets money, and so on down through several tranches. If mortgage loans are repaid early, the lowest tranche gets the loan money back first. If a mortgage holder defaults, the lowest tranche loses its money first. These are effective financial instruments and are still in use today because they are attractive to certain investors. Banks ran into trouble when the underlying mortgages were much riskier than rated, the banks held onto the lowest, riskiest tranches, property prices stopped rising as fast, and mortgage defaults increased. 

Despite all my verbiage above, it was a great book and Lewis is absolutely correct in that regulators didn't do their jobs and banks acted recklessly.  Similar books that are excellent finance reads are Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds and When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management.

Soulless by Gail Carriger. Fantasy Romance. A soulless spinster ends up entangled in supernatural activities.

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach. Science. Roach brings her humorous insight to all things digestive. 

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. Speculative Fiction. Lauren Olamina struggles to survive in a future world besieged by lawlessness and drought. This was a wonderfully insightful book and a painful, but powerful read. My Female Adventure Read for BAW bingo.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 20

Only finished one book this week - The Invisible Library, by Genevieve Cogman.  I think that can count for the Steampumk bingo square?  There were zeppelins and clockwork centipedes...  I thought it was quite enjoyable, but pretty fluffy, I'd give it 3.5 stars.  I ordered the next one from the library, but mostly to have something light and fun to read when I run out of other stuff, not because I'm dying to read it right away.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get done with The Warmth of Other Suns, which I've got on Overdrive ebook, as it's due in less than a week now and my hold on Lab Girl came through and now time's ticking on that one too. :tongue_smilie: 

And I'm plugging along with The Palace of Illusions (audio), which I'm continuing to enjoy very much.  I just put Homegoing on hold for my next audio, but there's a wait list and I'm not sure when it'll be available.  Any other good audio book recommendations to fill in?  I put Uprooted on hold on audio, but I listened to a clip and the narrator's voice, or cadence, or something, annoyed me...I think I may have to read that one hardcopy...

Still waiting on El laberintu de los espíritus... it seems Book Depository didn't actually have it in stock as advertised, and still doesn't.  I'm thinking of cancelling the order and ordering from another seller, just waiting to hear back if they actually have a copy on hand to sell, not just hoping to have one at some point...  :toetap05:

ETA: I'm thinking for book cover, I might just head over to the library and see what strikes my fancy :D

I also just put Sergio Y on hold for  Amethyst.  I was also contemplating Amethyst Road that someone else mentioned for that challenge, but the library doesn't have it, and I'm trying not to buy too many books; I'm already overflowing!!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 19

I'm listening to A Man Called Ove, and clearly I'm a curmudgeonly old lady because I don't find it charming. Bits of it have touched me, but I'm annoyed with how predictable it is, and how I know there is going to be some lovely, pat, feel good ending. Actually, what really annoyed me was having Ove, at age 59, being described as elderly. That isn't old!! I'm only finishing it to fill in a space on my library system's reading challenge.

I did enjoy that book (and even laughed out loud a few times), but gosh, that part did really annoy me too.  59 isn't even close to old.  My dh is turning 58 next month.  Dh can not only buy a computer without problems, he can take one apart and rebuild it.  I thought the story would have made more sense if Ove had been 69, at least.  I can only think that the author must be really young?  

I did like the story better as it went along, and it was clearer from Ove's backstory how he ended up the way he was.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 15

She's similar to Madonna but has a better voice and more dignity.

DH took me to a Lady Gaga concert for my birthday years ago. She sings live, her show rivals Broadway in production quality, and her dancers are a beautiful, diverse group. At one point, she sat at the piano, framed in a spotlight, and played a lovely, intimate piece that rivals any I've experienced in excellent piano bars. She is a talented and dynamic performer.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 22

I'm with Chrysalis Academy on Dune. I read the first 2 and part of #3. The original is so creative; #2 was interesting, and not a bad sequel. Couldn't get into #3 and didn't care for where he was headed with the world at that point, so I stopped.

I have yet to read Dune - I picked it up many years ago, but didn't get into it and put it aside before I got very far.  It's on my to-read list, not sure if I'll get to it this year.  It's on Overdrive in audio.  Do you think it would work well as an audiobook, or should I read it?

• Like 13

I have yet to read Dune - I picked it up many years ago, but didn't get into it and put it aside before I got very far.  It's on my to-read list, not sure if I'll get to it this year.  It's on Overdrive in audio.  Do you think it would work well as an audiobook, or should I read it?

I can't think of anything inherent in the story that would make it bad for audio - it has a linear plot, essentially, doesn't jump around in time and space, isn't told from multiple POVs. Those are the kinds of things that tend to make audiobooks a no-go for me. So I'd try it if I were you! Hopefully it's a good reader.

• Like 12

It has been over a month since I have read anything Icelandic.  I return to the author who started this obsession, Arnaldur Indridason.  I read four of his novels last year, but somehow managed to read his fifth published work while skipping the fourth.  Serendipity or a larger plan?  Arctic Chill brings to the surface issues of immigration within an outwardly liberal culture as Inspector Erlendur investigates a crime while dealing  with his own complicated past.

Okay, I want to read one of these for my Mystery bingo square.  Should I just read the first one, or is there a really good one you can recommend to get me off on the right foot with the series?  I'm guessing that like with most mystery series, it's not super-important to read them in order, so I'd love it if someone could share which ones are their favorites! :bigear:

• Like 13

Okay, I want to read one of these for my Mystery bingo square. Should I just read the first one, or is there a really good one you can recommend to get me off on the right foot with the series? I'm guessing that like with most mystery series, it's not super-important to read them in order, so I'd love it if someone could share which ones are their favorites! :bigear:

I would start with Jar City (the first) due to the evolution of the background story.

After Arnaldur Indridason published the basic series, he wrote several novels set in the earlier part of the inspector's career. I'm not sure if it would make sense to read any of these before Jar City since I have yet to read them!

• Like 14

Finished two books last week, The Palace of Illusions, excellent. And Uprooted, very good but I need to go back and reread the last part. All of a sudden it became plot-driven at an alarming pace and I'm left a bit confused about a few things. 

Not sure what next. 

No energy to choose or post book covers. Dinner is in the oven for ds. He's currently memorizing his lines for Twelfth Night. Dh is at a friend's watching the Superb Owl as we don't have a tv. I've just been out with the pup for a hike on the ridge. Elements were wild with life force and power. Soaked it in while little pup trotted along in her rain gear. Life is!

• Like 18

I had big plans to carve a chunk out of today for reading. Didn't happen. Let's see: helped ds with homework cause he was having a hard time due to his feverish brain, worked out for an hour, got sucked into reading the news for way longer than I intended, prepared for my class tomorrow, went to the store, and in between all that tended to my sick boys. 

I did finish Three Men on a Brummel and gave it 4 stars instead of 5 simply because of the racist part. Library of Souls really needs to end now. Man, it's dragging on. 

• Like 18

I would start with Jar City (the first) due to the evolution of the background story.

After Arnaldur Indridason published the basic series, he wrote several novels set in the earlier part of the inspector's career. I'm not sure if it would make sense to read any of these before Jar City since I have yet to read them!

So, I've been wanting to read these in German (because I'd like to read good stuff in German and I'm having a hard time finding German I want to read, and Icelandic is Germanic and I'd be reading it in translation anyway...)

So I went and tried to figure out which the heck book was Jar City.  It is not the first book, at least in German!  It is listed as the third book in the original series (not the later prequel stories, which seem to start with Reykjavik Nights).  I had to go look at the copyright pages and figure out what the Icelandic original title was to match them up, as they've been translated all funky.  The original title is Myrin (moor).  The German is Nordermoor, which is kind of 'northern moor' but not really properly in German.  I'll have to figure out where "Jar City" came from...

The first book in the series (at least that got translated into German - they subtitle it Erlendur's First Case) didn't get as many stars as later ones, so that's why I'd thought to maybe skip it (Icelandic Synir Duftsins).  The second book doesn't appear to have been translated into English either  (DauÄ‘arósir, which seems to mean Death Roses).  But I'll start with Nordermoor, as it seems to be a good jumping in point, and then I can talk about it with you all. :)

• Like 16

Another vote to give The Crocodile on the Sandbanks another try. I haven't heard the audio versions, but loved the series in print. Amelia takes everything very seriously, but over-the-top adventures, laced with humor and romance and unexpected characters in disguise, always manage to come her way. It's also fun to see her family develop over time as the books span decades. There are some sad events, as well. You have to expect a mixture of the serious and the silly -- if you expect it to be all one way or another, you might be disappointed that it doesn't measure up to your expectations.

You have to get used to Amelia as the narrator. She seems haughty and scoffs at things that she thinks are improper, while getting into many improper situations herself. Much of the humor comes from the juxtaposition of her sense of morality and duty with how she handles the unexpected situations that she stumbles into. She claims to like things that are proper and settled, but at heart she loves the adventure and excitement. Which is why she loves the amazing Emerson! You have to read far enough to meet him before you get a sense of what the series is like.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 18

The only book I finished last week was The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo. It was an audible daily deal a while ago. Reader was not great. While I thought it was supposed to be a children's book, it was very much more for adults. The characters were more caricatures of humanity. It made for a lot to think about but I didn't find it as magical as most of the reviewers. My poor children though.. Ugh. My 8 year old thought the moral of the story was "if your mom dies, try to get another mom to adopt you" and even worse, my 6 year old very petite daughter thought the moral was "Grow. If you are too small you will have to be given away" and she even asked if I thought that could happen to her. I'm still feeling sick to my stomach analyzing her little thought process. It is no surprise that those parts of the story struck her most, being that she's a little sister, tiny, and the girl in the book was also 6.

Thanks to the superbowl, I am only a few pages from finishing Outlander in French. Since their is my 4th time through I won't post about it again. I am reminded how much I love these characters and I have really enjoyed being back in the pages with them again. Every time I have a baby, I seem to re-read all the Outlander books. I said I wasn't going to do it this time but here I am being tempted again :)

I lost count on how many books I have read for the year. Goal for this week is to figure that out and put all the reviews in my document where I save these things, plus make a page in my bullet journal to keep track.

• Like 19

Finished Lolita. Five completed books for the year!

Book with my name:

1. Voyages, Richard Hakluyt [vols. 1, 2, 3]

2. The Interior Castle, St Teresa of Avila

3. The Octopus, Frank Norris

4. Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov

A-Z Author Challenge:

1. Amis, Kingsley: The Green Man

Read-Alouds:

1. Twain, The Prince and the Pauper

(Edited for formatting incompetence)

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 21

DD was just asking about some new audiobooks ... I love the suggestion for Dealing with Dragons.  That sounds perfect for her! 

I live just a about 15 miles away from Truman's home in Kansas City and just this year DH and I (both born and raised here) made it to his library for the first time.  Really impressive man.  So humble and just a good soul. 

I've added his roadtrip book to my to-read list.  My long never ending to-read list ...

Jolly good! When you posted that you were reading it I was a little bit worried if you wouldn't like it because it isn't a "Stacia book" at all.  Your books always seem to have a level of deepness and thought that Jeeves certainly doesn't.  

I vote for this one.  The cover and the title sound very intriguing.  Have fun with your son at B&N today.  My family is going to the late Mass because we know we'll be about the only ones there.

So either I'm stalking you or your stalking me with our reading choices this year.  Either way ... I'm good with it! 

Well lady you sound very British with that report on your garden. 

Haha, yeah I think we share a very similar taste in books! :)

• Like 12

Back from Barnes and Noble -   Picked up The Passenger, the Fifth Season by N.K. Jeminsin, Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time, Charlaine Harris's Midnight Road and my pick a book by the cover.  

Inheriting Edith by Zoe Fishman

28594365.jpg

James picked up a couple Star Wars books as well as comics at the comic book store. 

Caught the last quarter of the Superbowl.  John said as soon as I walked in the room, the Patriots began to win. Sorry Stacia. It's all my fault.  :lol:

Watched Lady Gaga's halftime show on youtube. Classy lady! 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 21

Waahh! So sorry you didn't like Picture Miss Seeton! The original 5 books by Carvic are among my favorite "comfort food" books that I've re-read a number of times, esp. when totally stressed out.

Brat Farrar -- However, I am looking forward very much to reading the last 2 Tey books that I haven't read yet: Brat Farrar and Miss Pym Disposes. I've been slowly savoring them a little at a time now for the past year. Tey's writing is SO yummy! Rich, complex, and very subtle. Both books were part of my "Christmas haul". ;)

I was surprised that I didn't like it - I'd heard good things about the series and thought it would be right up my alley. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime in the future. :)

I hope you like Brat Farrar. I have Miss Pym Disposes on my TBR list, too!

• Like 16

I just finished 738 Days by Stacey Kade.  Here's the blurb ~

"At fifteen, Amanda Grace was abducted on her way home from school. 738 days later, she escaped. Her 20/20 interview is what everyone remembers―Amanda describing the room where she was kept, the torn poster of TV heartthrob Chase Henry on the wall. It reminded her of home and gave her the strength to keep fighting.

Now, years later, Amanda is struggling to live normally. Her friends have gone on to college, while she battles PTSD. She’s not getting any better, and she fears that if something doesn’t change soon she never will.

Six years ago, Chase Henry defied astronomical odds, won a coveted role on a new TV show, and was elevated to super-stardom. With it, came drugs, alcohol, arrests, and crazy spending sprees. Now he's sober and a Hollywood pariah, washed up at twenty-four.

To revamp his image, Chase’s publicist comes up with a plan: surprise Amanda Grace with the chance to meet her hero, followed by a visit to the set of Chase’s new movie. The meeting is a disaster, but out of mutual desperation, Amanda and Chase strike a deal. What starts as a simple arrangement, though, rapidly becomes more complicated when they realize they need each other in more ways than one. But when the past resurfaces in a new threat, will they stand together or fall apart?

With charm and heart, Stacey Kade takes readers on a journey of redemption and love."

The book is not too graphic (as regards the 738 days); however, the subject matter might prove troubling to some.  There is also some adult content in the present day.  It seems a tad odd to say that I enjoyed the book, but I did.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 18

So, I've been wanting to read these in German (because I'd like to read good stuff in German and I'm having a hard time finding German I want to read, and Icelandic is Germanic and I'd be reading it in translation anyway...)

So I went and tried to figure out which the heck book was Jar City.  It is not the first book, at least in German!  It is listed as the third book in the original series (not the later prequel stories, which seem to start with Reykjavik Nights).  I had to go look at the copyright pages and figure out what the Icelandic original title was to match them up, as they've been translated all funky.  The original title is Myrin (moor).  The German is Nordermoor, which is kind of 'northern moor' but not really properly in German.  I'll have to figure out where "Jar City" came from...

The first book in the series (at least that got translated into German - they subtitle it Erlendur's First Case) didn't get as many stars as later ones, so that's why I'd thought to maybe skip it (Icelandic Synir Duftsins).  The second book doesn't appear to have been translated into English either  (DauÄ‘arósir, which seems to mean Death Roses).  But I'll start with Nordermoor, as it seems to be a good jumping in point, and then I can talk about it with you all. :)

Oops, I had forgotten about the two that are truly the first in the series. Not translated into English so they don't exist? Ouch.

• Like 11

Hi, All! I let last week pass by me without posting. I subscribe to the thread though so I always get to enjoy all your wonderful posts.

Today I finished "Dune." I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the second book in the series. There is still quite a story to be told. Has anyone read the sequel? Was it as good as Dune? I'm using this book to cover the "One Word Title" on the BINGO board.

I'm sorry to tell you that the other books in the series are not as good as the first book. Most readers will tell you to stop reading after Dune. I'm probably the only reader in the universe who really liked book 5 and 6 :lol: so I would tell you to keep reading :D. But whatever you do, do NOT read the prequels written by Frank Herbert's son....those are really, really bad.
  • Like 16

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not.  Elspeth Morrison published a two volume set of companion books to Dunnett's Lymond and Niccolo novels.  These companions have translations, explanations of the geopolitics of the time, even additional verses of poetry.  You'll still look things up but I found this was more efficient than turning to the internet. For Lymond you only need the first volume.

513qOEMngVL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks, that will help a lot!

• Like 11

I am already behind on the thread again! I've been enjoying reading it at night when the kids are in bed (well, except for the baby, but she's going to sleep at that point at least... usually...) but it seems like I can either read or post but not both. So this morning I thought I'd try to slip in a quick update before the boys are out of their room.

Book covers... I would be cheating, because I would pick the first book not only based on its cover but also because my dd bought it with some Christmas money last year and gave it 4 stars or so. I have been meaning to read it since then.

The Queen's Thief series -- a book 5? Hurrah! Although if it's a standalone, I guess there might not be much about Eugenides, who has made it onto my list of favorite fictional characters.

Super Bowl - We watched at my inlaws' house but missed the exciting conclusion because we were taking tired kids home. We ate birthday cake. Yesterday was Abby's first birthday. For new people to the thread, I joined last year when I was very pregnant with #9. When she was born in early February, we learned she had Down Syndrome. She had several heart defects, which were thankfully able to be repaired with one surgery in July. (I brought Don Camillo with me on the recommendation of VC and Kareni and it turned out to be an excellent companion for the ICU.) So anyway, yesterday she turned 1 and we rejoiced. I made a sponge cake with chocolate pudding icing (it had to be something without dairy, and the sponge cake has no butter, but almond milk subbed for the milk) and she was quite happy with her first taste of chocolate. A good time was had by all.

Now for the books... I finished 2 books, The Obesity Code by Jason Fung (somewhat ironic given the cake I just made) and Different by Sally and Nathan Clarkson. I put a long review of The Obesity Code on Goodreads, but the short version is that I thought he made a good case for his assertion that chronically high insulin levels cause obesity, but I think his assertion that "calories don't matter" needs some work because all of his recommendations (fasting, no snacking) will generally result in lowering calorie intake as well. I'm down to my prepregnancy weight, which unfortunately is about 30 lbs over where I ought to be, but I'm not sure I can use any of his recommendations while still nursing. That's it for me for diet books for this year (I hope. Unless something really interesting comes along.)

Different was excellent, highly recommended if you are the parent of a child whose special needs set him or her outside of society's "normal". Nathan, a grown man now, was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, and severe OCD at the age of 15. Neither mother or son sugarcoats the difficulty involved. I dogeared many pages in my copy to mark passages I found particularly true or moving.

Currently reading Right Ho, Jeeves by Wodehouse because I needed a Kindle book to read in the dark and on my phone in waiting rooms. I had forgotten it was on there and was pleased to see it when Stacia mentioned she had finished it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 19

I finished The Bear and the Nightingale and liked it much more than I thought I would. It turned into quite the gripping tale. I really like how the author took Russian legends and really . . . I can't think of the right word. I want to say she embedded them or embodied them in a specific time and place - Russia, or Rus' in the 13th-ish century, a feudal society owing homage to the Mongol empire, only somewhat recently Christianized, and she really did a good job with the conflict between Christianity and the older spiritual traditions. That aspect reminded me of Mists of Avalon, vaguely, though the stories weren't at all similar. In any event, I'm glad I read it. I know others are working on it right now so don't want to say too much more. 

• Like 19

I have three books started. Ugh. I am not a person who can have three books going at the same time. If I pick up one I feel guilty for not reading the others.

Here are my three: Spark, The Underground Railroad, and Signature Wounds (one of the Kindle First books this month). Plus I've been doing quite a bit of research and reading for work and that doesn't help maintain my focus on pleasure reading.

I also think it might be time for reading glasses. I've been doing all sorts of odd tricks in order to be able to read. I've used reading lights or sitting in direct sun to brighten the pages. I've been tilting the books in multiple directions in order to see the print better; first I tilt the top half of the page then I tilt the bottom half of the page. I wanna cry. I know it's silly but this is the first time I've felt like I'm getting old.

• Like 17

I finally finished Library of Souls last night. I liked the series but I do feel the last book went on for too long. 

Boy #3 woke with a fever so now they all are sitting here sick. I'm feeling fine so far so I will drive to co-op to teach my class. One (of many) perks of having teens. You can leave them at home when you have to go somewhere and they can watch the younger siblings. 

Speaking of teens, I can't believe I have two now!

Started The Shephard's Crown last night. It's the last Tiffany Aching book. Sad times. However, the great thing about books is that you can read them again.

• Like 16

Still incredibly busy here with kid activities and my own math class. I did feel a sense of accomplishment in finishing Love in the Time of Cholera this week. It was okay. Sometimes male authors annoy me with their view of love or sex and this fell into that category. Rape is not romantic, pedophilia is not romantic, awkward guy having sex with 622 different women while "waiting" 50+ years for his true love's husband to die is not romantic. I'm sure I'm missing something that makes this book great. Anyway, I've finished my mini January goal of getting a few books from my shelves read and off to the library book sale--The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, Gilead, and Love in the Time of Cholera. There are more books awaiting a similar fate, but I'm ready to read for interest for awhile. After I finish my February book club book that is, which is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Just started it, but don't think I would have picked it for myself.

Thanks Ethel for the post on books by Black authors. Looks like my library has How to be Black which I might pick up for Black History Month.

Happy Birthday Abby!!

• Like 18

Here are my updates:

One Thousand and One Nights: A pleasant read, but I never lost that feeling that I was reading a Junior Classics version of a classic.

An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments: I am reading this with DS, one bad argument each day. Stellar!! This little book is succinct and entertaining. We love it.

I started Dr. Zhivago, and every minute I spend in the book is sheer joy. But I have set it aside to read The Bear and The Nightingale. I just got it from the library, and it won't be renewable of course. I don't read quickly, and I want to make sure I get it done on time. So far it hits a trifecta for me: fairy tales, Russia, and winter. As Rose noted, the author deftly hits that intersection of time in the north when Christianity was overlapping with the older beliefs. It reminds me of Kristen Lavransdatter in that sense.

We saw a great documentary over the weekend at a film fest. The Babushkas of Chernobyl tells the story of the babushkas who live in Chernobyl exclusion zone. I recommend it if you get the opportunity. It was interesting, and also quite funny in spots. For me, it is the perfect segue to my Eastern European bingo read, Voices from Chernobyl The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 19

Still incredibly busy here with kid activities and my own math class. I did feel a sense of accomplishment in finishing Love in the Time of Cholera this week. It was okay. Sometimes male authors annoy me with their view of love or sex and this fell into that category. Rape is not romantic, pedophilia is not romantic, awkward guy having sex with 622 different women while "waiting" 50+ years for his true love's husband to die is not romantic. I'm sure I'm missing something that makes this book great. 

I read it last year for book club and had pretty much the same thoughts as you. 

• Like 17

Yesterday was Abby's first birthday. ...

A belated "Happy  birthday"  for Abby.

Jane, thanks for the Superb Owl link. It was a definite hit with the Korean based owl lover.

A one day only currently free Kindle book ~

Up from Slavery by Booker Washington

"Booker T. Washington’s classic memoir of enslavement, emancipation, and community advancement in the Reconstruction Era.

Born into slavery on a tobacco farm in nineteenth-century Virginia, Booker T. Washington became one of the most powerful intellectuals of the Reconstruction Era. As president of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, he advocated for the advancement of African Americans through education and entrepreneurship. In Up from Slavery, Washington speaks frankly and honestly about his enslavement and emancipation, struggle to receive an education, and life’s work as an educator.

In great detail, Washington describes establishing the Tuskegee Institute, from teaching its first classes in a hen house to building a prominent institution through community organization and a national fundraising campaign. He also addresses major issues of the era, such as the Jim Crow laws, Ku Klux Klan, and “false foundation†of Reconstruction policy.

Up From Slavery is based on biographical articles written for the Christian newspaper Outlook and includes the full text of Washington’s revolutionary Atlanta Exposition address. First published in 1901, this powerful autobiography remains a landmark of African American literature as well as an important firsthand account of post–Civil War American history."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 18

Yesterday was Abby's first birthday. For new people to the thread, I joined last year when I was very pregnant with #9. When she was born in early February, we learned she had Down Syndrome. She had several heart defects, which were thankfully able to be repaired with one surgery in July. (I brought Don Camillo with me on the recommendation of VC and Kareni and it turned out to be an excellent companion for the ICU.) So anyway, yesterday she turned 1 and we rejoiced. I made a sponge cake with chocolate pudding icing (it had to be something without dairy, and the sponge cake has no butter, but almond milk subbed for the milk) and she was quite happy with her first taste of chocolate. A good time was had by all.

First of all, hats off to you, Angela, for sticking with us throughout your stressful, busy year!! You add so much to the conversation.

And most importantly, a warm happy 1st birthday to little Abby from all her honorary aunties here at BaW!!!

:party:

• Like 18

The only book I finished last week was The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo. It was an audible daily deal a while ago. Reader was not great. While I thought it was supposed to be a children's book, it was very much more for adults. The characters were more caricatures of humanity. It made for a lot to think about but I didn't find it as magical as most of the reviewers. My poor children though.. Ugh. My 8 year old thought the moral of the story was "if your mom dies, try to get another mom to adopt you" and even worse, my 6 year old very petite daughter thought the moral was "Grow. If you are too small you will have to be given away" and she even asked if I thought that could happen to her. I'm still feeling sick to my stomach analyzing her little thought process. It is no surprise that those parts of the story struck her most, being that she's a little sister, tiny, and the girl in the book was also 6.

Just... NOOOOO!  :eek:  :crying: 

Quick! Time for something sweet and funny and affirming to read aloud and wipe out THOSE thoughts! Perhaps something like:

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Trumpet of the Swan,

Half Magic

The Enormous Egg

Ivy & Bean

Fortunately The Milk

Owls in the Family

• Like 21

I will freely confess that I do not get the Kate DiCamillo love at all. The only books of hers I've tried I did not like. I thought they were way to emotionally disturbing for the age of kids the stories seemed to target.  I'm sorry for your poor sweet girls, and agree with Lori D's suggestions - find something sweet and life-affirming for them, pronto! They will enjoy reading the dark stuff soon enough, but no need to rush it. My girls are 10 and 14 and one is one either side of that divide - my dd10 hates stuff where moms die or sad dark things happen. Dd14 has just in the past year started to enjoy a darker story that makes her think and question things. I'm not sorry to have waited with older dd till she was ready.

• Like 16