Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW6: Pick a book by the cover

Robin M

Happy Super Bowl Sunday my lovelies!  This is the beginning of week 6 in our quest to read 52 books. Welcome back to all our readers, to those just joining in and all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is also below in my signature. 

52 Books Blog - Pick a Book by the CoverTime for a mini challenge!  A few years ago I did a reading challenge in which one of the tasks was to pick a book by its cover. The hard part - don't read the blurb and find out what it is about beforehand.    Easier said than done. The temptation is just too much.  Especially in person.  However it is a bit easier to do when on line.  Since then I have chosen books a few times using this method and usually end up with something excellent.  Also, I couldn't pick books by authors I've already read. In the past I've utilized Amazon and wandered through the new releases.   This time, I  googled book covers 2016 and viewed images. I selected books with both covers and titles that caught my eye and intrigued me the most. 

book%2Bcover%2Bpassenger.jpg

book%2Bcover%2Bmidnight%2Bdance.jpg

book%2Bcover%2Bcristina.jpg

book%2Bcover%2Bfrost%2Blike%2Bnight.jpg

book%2Bcover%2Bamong%2Bthe%2Bliving.jpg

What do you think?  Which one should I read?  I dare you to try picking out a book based on its cover alone and see what you end up with.   Of course, you have to share. 

The Story of Western Science - Chapter Two 

What are you reading this week?  

Link to week 5 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 22

I'm back to reading The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.  Took a break after came down with the energy sucking cold which had me resorting to rereads. Fuzzy brain syndrome - couldn't handle anything new.  Even though James and I are still feeling a little meh, we are still going on our traditional super bowl jaunt to the comic book store and Barnes and Noble. Will buy at least one book based on its cover.   :coolgleamA:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 22

What do you think?  Which one should I read?  I dare you to try picking out a book based on its cover alone and see what you end up with.   Of course, you have to share. 

Robin, those are some gorgeous covers. I like them all and would have no idea which to read first. The first two and the last one stand out the most for me. 

I read Your Beauty Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Eccentric Glamour- 3 Stars - From the time I was about nine or so, I started devouring beauty tips in women’s magazines. A year or so later, I’d sometimes spend my pocket money on beauty books. It was no surprise really that I went to beauty school at the age of 16 and was a beauty therapist for a few years. Beauty has always interested me, not so much make-up and hair, but specifically skin care. I don’t wear any make up really. I’m also not one for plastic surgery. I just enjoy taking care of my skin as much as is reasonably possible. My daughter seems to have taken after me. We both talk about skin care quite often and have fun with all that. I borrowed this book from her. This is not the sort of beauty book that I would have bought myself, although I would have loved it when I was younger.

Dita Von Teese is a burlesque artist, and conservative, old-fashioned me is really not into things like that at all! The pictures are definitely pretty, but also quite provocative to say the least, in other words, not the sort of book that one wants to necessarily have lying around. Mind you, I simply adore the whole vintage look which she embraces. I wish that I could do all that she does – the beautifully styled hair, the make-up, the all-over glam, but I don’t believe that I can. I’m terrible with hair and I’m certainly outdated when it comes to make up. I like her approach to gentle exercise. I also like her friendly writing style.

Overall, I can’t say that I learned much from this book. The tips are mostly things that I already know, but I’m happy that I read it. I enjoy beauty and health books and find them motivating. I remember watching an interview with Martha Stewart many years ago. The interviewer was basically asking her if the average person is really going to do the things that she suggests. Martha’s reply was something to the effect of: even if someone does only one thing, follows only one suggestion or tip, that’s still a good thing, to take what you want from it and to go from there. This is my approach to books such as this. All in all, this is a fun and enjoyable read for all those who are into girly things, vintage glamour, and all things feminine. 

9780060722715.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 24

I'm back to reading The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.  Took a break after came down with the energy sucking cold which had me resorting to rereads. Fuzzy brain syndrome - couldn't handle anything new.  Even though James and I are still feeling a little meh, we are still going on our traditional super bowl jaunt to the comic book store and Barnes and Noble. Will buy at least one book based on its cover.   :coolgleamA:

Sorry to hear that you were sick. I'm excited for your new book purchase, however! 

• Like 16

Finishing up Lolita, my "L" book for spelling out my name. Dh loves Nabokov, so I'm gamely trying him out. But the cascades of literary references, French puns, and generally Novel as one Grand Acrostic Mystery is wearing me out. The notorious subject matter is not bothersome, as the wordplay of the literary surface takes up all of the reader's attention. I don't know; I recognize Nabokov's genius, but this is too, well, modern for me.

Robin, I was just thinking I really wanted the Book By Its Cover Challenge back, as several paperbacks with Edward Gorey covers have recently flung themselves into my hands. I might need to take this on as a long-term challenge.

Wee Girl recently finished Pinocchio. Her review: "Strange in some places but quite exciting in others. It easily changed from happy to sad." Which, on reflection, is rather a good summary of her own personality.

• Like 25

What are you reading this week?  

Ack! I checked my email just before going to bed last night and saw that two, TWO books I had on hold came in and were automatically borrowed. Apparently the Overdrive update reset some preferences. I usually want a notice that a hold came in, then I can go an check it out when I'm ready (within the time period it will remain available). I had my February reading plans all set and now this.  :lol:

I downloaded both of them - Song of Solomon and These is My Words - and if it comes down to it I have enough books on my Kindle that I won't have to turn the wifi on if the loan period ends before I read them.

Currently reading -

Hidden Figures

A Place Beyond Courage

Three Men in a Boat

Alexander Hamilton

Listening to -

Lab Girl

I've finished 11 books so far this year.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 23

Robin, I was just thinking I really wanted the Book By Its Cover Challenge back, as several paperbacks with Edward Gorey covers have recently flung themselves into my hands. I might need to take this on as a long-term challenge.

Flung themselves at you, did they? :laugh:   Love Edward Gorey art.  All I can think is gothic and spooky.  Please share!

• Like 17

Hmm, if I had to choose one of your four based just on the picture on the cover, I'd pick the first one, but if it's a combination of picture and title, I'd pick the 4th.

I think I've said before, I pretty much never pick books based on their cover. Sometimes covers appeal to me, sure, but I almost never pick a book out that way. Sometimes a book has a nice cover on goodreads, and it tempts me, but then when it comes from the library it has a boring library binding! I'll keep an eye on the New Arrivals shelf, though. There is a book that somebody posted here that I keep looking at, based solely on the cover, but I have no idea what the title is.  One word, looks like an abstract painting, starts with E maybe?  That's all I got. Last year for that Bingo category I read this, after Stacia had posted the cover.  It was erratically good - some sections great, some horrible. I learned some things I didn't want to know.

13585601.jpg

I'm currently reading too many books, again. For school-prep, I'm reading Katherine and Three Gothic Novels. For Black History Month I'm reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and The Fire This Time. For Bingo, I'm reading Cloud Atlas, The Bear and the Nightingale, and Dragonflight. I'm still listening to The Goldfinch, but I might shift over to reading it because Evicted came in on Overdrive and I'm eager to get started on that.

As expected, I finished books at a blistering pace in January, due to a bunch of carryovers, a bunch of short things, and time off for the holidays. I've slowed way down, only finished one so far this month, The Color Purple, read in honor of Black History Month and the gem Amethyst.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 23

Hello everyone! 

I forced myself to finish Picture Miss Seeton  - it was ok. I couldn't get into it so won't be reading any more of the series. 

Babes in Tinseltown by Sherri Cobb South. Fun, light read. I had this on my kindle and had started it several months ago but got sidetracked. Likeable characters and a time and place (1930s Hollywood) that I don't usually read about.

The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny. Really liked this one, the food descriptions just about do me in in this series! I'd love to live in Three Pines - it sounds like such a lovely place to live (excepting all the murders).

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. Liked this one a lot, one of my daughters is reading it now. 

And I finished listening to Brat Farrar - I enjoyed this from beginning to end - good story, great atmosphere and Tey's writing is fabulous. I'm wanting to reread this in print now.

• Like 25

From Robin's covers, I'd go with the last--the hat on the coat rack.

This one just came to my attention.  It is InCoWriMo month, i.e. International Correspondence Writing Month.  Participants pen a letter a day throughout the month of February.  So we have missed a few days.  No biggie. 

It has been over a month since I have read anything Icelandic.  I return to the author who started this obsession, Arnaldur Indridason.  I read four five of his novels last year, but somehow managed to read his fifth sixth published work (ETA:  in English) while skipping the fourth fifth. Serendipity or a larger plan?  Arctic Chill brings to the surface issues of immigration within an outwardly liberal culture as Inspector Erlendur investigates a crime while dealing  with his own complicated past.

I continue to be astounded by the gorgeous poetry of Abdellatif Laâbi. The Poetry Translation Centre shares a number of his poems in case you are curious.   A section of the poem Address from Arab Hill (this in the volume In Praise of Defeat) led me to gasp.  He writes of the prison torturer:

The torturer has woken up

Beside him

his wife still sleeps

He slips furtive from the bed

puts his jungle suit back on

and leaves the house

On the way to the lockup

where his instruments await

and his victims of the day

he thinks about the ordinary things of life

rising prices

his house being too cramped

when the fifth baby arrives

the rain that is so late this year

the ending of the latest TV series

And then off to his dehumanizing work he goes.

Never forget.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 28

Finishing up Lolita, my "L" book for spelling out my name. Dh loves Nabokov, so I'm gamely trying him out. But the cascades of literary references, French puns, and generally Novel as one Grand Acrostic Mystery is wearing me out. The notorious subject matter is not bothersome, as the wordplay of the literary surface takes up all of the reader's attention. I don't know; I recognize Nabokov's genius, but this is too, well, modern for me.

Back in December when Robin asked about themes and books for '17, I had considered offering to do a readalong of Lolita.  I was concerned that there might be too much discomfort from the "notorious subject matter" as you so aptly refer to it.

Lolita has been on my list of rereads. I think I read Nabokov when I was too young to comprehend his nuance.  But if VC's husband loves his work, I need to revisit it.  (VC's DH and I share many favorite authors!)

• Like 21

I tried very hard to simply use one of Robin's covers but unfortunately couldn't find my favourite Midnight Dance for my overdrive account. I did find Passenger but it comes with a five person queue. I did add myself to the list, I just hope I remember why I put a hold on it when it comes in! At some point I will go hunting on my own.

Last night I fininhed the second book in The Seventh Miss Hatfield series. It's called The Time of the Clockmaker. These books are a nice relatively light YA break. I have been enjoying the slightly different time travel theme...after becoming immortal the main character is able to travel through time with the aid of a very special clock. In this instalment she found herself accidentally back in the Tudor court without her clock. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23607751-the-time-of-the-clockmaker

Not much reading today. I made it to 2%in By Gaslight. I am happy to report that my garden is looking much nicer which means I'm exhausted. Probably not much reading tonight.

• Like 25

I bet you're thinking of:

18467802.jpg

I'm a visual person so I mentally file my books based on the cover art.

ETA: No, I haven't read Euphoria, but a few BaWers have.

That's the one! I figured somebody would remember it. Funny what sticks in your mind - one word, starts with E - and what falls right out.  Unfortunately having read the blurb and seen that some BaWers only gave it 3 stars, I'm not convinced. I do like the cover though.

I like the looks of the cover of The Many Deaths of the Firefly Brothers.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 18

I tried very hard to simply use one of Robin's covers but unfortunately couldn't find my favourite Midnight Dance for my overdrive account. I did find Passenger but it comes with a five person queue. I did add myself to the list, I just hope I remember why I put a hold on it when it comes in! At some point I will go hunting on my own.

Unfortunately Midnight Dance is a teaser as it won't be out until October 2017. 

• Like 15

I bet you're thinking of:

18467802.jpg

I'm a visual person so I mentally file my books based on the cover art.

ETA: No, I haven't read Euphoria, but a few BaWers have.

Euphoria was a pick a book by the cover find from  either last year or the year before that.  It's in my virtual stacks waiting to be read.

• Like 14

A giggle for the non-sports folks like me. The British Museum is tweeting with the hashtag #superbowl which has nothing to do with American sports rather "superb owls". I told The Boy this who commented that Superb Owl parties sound more fun than Super Bowl parties!

https://mobile.twitter.com/britishmuseum/status/828324958384300032

• Like 25

Poppin in to say a quick Hi! I've been keeping up with the thread but life is a little busy now. I, too, have yet to find my reading groove. Sigh. We are headed to Siesta Key on vacation soon so I hope the groove is found there lol!

Of non-reading news...Aly got her driver's license this weekðŸ˜ðŸš˜. I'm pretty excited for her.

A weird thing has happened in January, I've listened to more books than I have read!

January books...

Jotham's Journey - leftover from 2016

Etiquette and Espionage - audio - leftover from 2016

Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler - interesting but a bit too much of the plot focused on the end of the world global warming

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - audio

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede - also audio, and a great one at that! It's been years since I've visited these stories and they are so good! Rose and Amy your girls might like these!

DD was just asking about some new audiobooks ... I love the suggestion for Dealing with Dragons.  That sounds perfect for her! 

Thank you!  I read that book years ago in paper form and Truman is my very favorite president ever (like, I was so upset when I learned he died before I was even born) so now I have it on my Kindle :)

I live just a about 15 miles away from Truman's home in Kansas City and just this year DH and I (both born and raised here) made it to his library for the first time.  Really impressive man.  So humble and just a good soul. 

I've added his roadtrip book to my to-read list.  My long never ending to-read list ...

I finished Carry On, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. It was rummy & plum, if a bit repetitive between some stories. I was going to give it 4 stars, but had to up it to 5 because of the smiles & laughs I had while reading.

A charming bit of British humor.

Jolly good! When you posted that you were reading it I was a little bit worried if you wouldn't like it because it isn't a "Stacia book" at all.  Your books always seem to have a level of deepness and thought that Jeeves certainly doesn't.  

book%2Bcover%2Bamong%2Bthe%2Bliving.jpg

I vote for this one.  The cover and the title sound very intriguing.  Have fun with your son at B&N today.  My family is going to the late Mass because we know we'll be about the only ones there.

Hello everyone! 

I forced myself to finish Picture Miss Seeton  - it was ok. I couldn't get into it so won't be reading any more of the series. 

Babes in Tinseltown by Sherri Cobb South. Fun, light read. I had this on my kindle and had started it several months ago but got sidetracked. Likeable characters and a time and place (1930s Hollywood) that I don't usually read about.

The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny. Really liked this one, the food descriptions just about do me in in this series! I'd love to live in Three Pines - it sounds like such a lovely place to live (excepting all the murders).

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. Liked this one a lot, one of my daughters is reading it now. 

And I finished listening to Brat Farrar - I enjoyed this from beginning to end - good story, great atmosphere and Tey's writing is fabulous. I'm wanting to reread this in print now.

So either I'm stalking you or your stalking me with our reading choices this year.  Either way ... I'm good with it! 

I am happy to report that my garden is looking much nicer which means I'm exhausted. Probably not much reading tonight.

Well lady you sound very British with that report on your garden. 

• Like 24

I have two goals today -

Finish Death Comes to Pemberly because I've been reading it for weeks.  It has to be finished!

Start my taxes so I'm not up until 5 am tomorrow night.

• Like 21

A giggle for the non-sports folks like me. The British Museum is tweeting with the hashtag #superbowl which has nothing to do with American sports rather "superb owls". I told The Boy this who commented that Superb Owl parties sound more fun than Super Bowl parties!

I love this!  Just shared it with my whole family. 

On an amusing note - DD just got invited by some family members to go to their super bowl party.  She made her decision to go based on what food would be there.  I feel as if I'm installing either really poor social graces in her or really good ones.  Undecided.  I'll have to give it another 13 years and see how she turns out. 

• Like 23

Robin - I'd go for Passenger. Love the ship in the bottle cover!

My cover picks:

The Last Runaway

or

The Matchmakers of Minnow Bay

I'm on a Susan Wiggs reading binge. I finished reading these two and have another downloaded.

14. Summer at Willow Lake – Susan Wiggs

15. The Winter Lodge – Susan Wiggs

I'm also reading The Market as God by Harvey Cox. Timely read.

Then there's the huge stack of books beside my chair...

On an amusing note - DD just got invited by some family members to go to their super bowl party.  She made her decision to go based on what food would be there.  I feel as if I'm installing either really poor social graces in her or really good ones.  Undecided.  I'll have to give it another 13 years and see how she turns out. 

:smilielol5:

(Seems as good as any other vetting process.... <shrug> Of course, I have a 15yo boy who is hungry about ever three hours or so. So, I totally get the food connection being important!)

I think that was a good choice. If you aren't crazy about football you should at least like the food.  :) My non-sport fan ds went to a renaissance fair today, where some of his nerdy (and D&D group) friends are performing. I'm not sure he even knows there's a Big Game today. 

• Like 18

Unfortunately Midnight Dance is a teaser as it won't be out until October 2017.

I still haven't read the description but am in love with the cover. Thanks for letting me know that I still might be able to find it in October!

Ladies, as I said I'm tired tonight. I have also taken a couple of Alieves. So perhaps not fully functioning mentally. I read Jane's post regarding superb owls but thought it was Amy posting. My whole family had an "how cute is Chews " moment. For our new people our families actually in real life know each other so this was a bit of a how big he must be now event. I was busy thinking we could have an owl theme activity thrown in to future plans just for him. I love to have silly parties for little people and celebrated every event I could think of when my kids were little. Then I go back to quote it and discover it was Jane's ds. Somehow I don't think Jane's ds would enjoy my version of a superb owl party! I still haven't fessed up that it wasn't Chews.

Amy, at least she her priorities in order regarding the Super Bowl. My kids have been to a party a few years ago.....Steelers were playing. A friend is a huge fan and felt they needed the cultural experience. They had fun but still know absolutely nothing about American football.

Also dd enjoyed the Dragon books.

• Like 18

Hello everybody! I missed a week (well, the thread anyway) - life got in the way. Happy to be reading what everybody is reading again!

I finished The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett, and started on Queens Play. These have slowed me right down, because I am looking up all the references all the time. Should just read it, enjoy it, and remain ignorant.

P.S. Can't work out how to post images of book covers....

Edited by EmmaNZ
  • Like 20

Perfect! We never watch the superbowl. However, we've committed to donating to charity an amount for each touchdown and field goal (what's a field goal?) the Patriot's make.

Wow! I just read the description of Among the Living which I selected from Robin's covers. It is a Jane book-- now on my library list.

Thanks Robin.

Me too! 

I posted this earlier today in last week's thread ~

A currently free classic ~ (this may be today only; I'm not sure)

Anthem by Ayn Rand

"Ayn Rand’s searing portrait of a dystopian future in which all ego has been erased 

In a world where science and learning are banned and the simple utterance of the Unspeakable Word, I, is punishable by death, a man named Equality 7-2521 struggles with his unquenchable desire to investigate, to think, to know. His instincts are a “curse†that threatens to bring him to the attention of a government dedicated to the elimination of the self. But Equality 7-2521 cannot ignore his true nature, just as he cannot ignore the fruits of his curiosity: the discovery of the mysterious “power of the sky.†His great awakening—in heart, mind, and soul—represents the inevitable triumph of the individual over the collective.

A riveting, thought-provoking parable based on the author’s experience of life in a socialist state, Anthem serves as an invaluable introduction to Ayn Rand, her fiction, and her philosophy."

I also finished a book by the same author  ~
In Milady's Chamber (John Pickett Mysteries Book 1)  by Sheri Cobb South

I'd previously read some of her historical romances but this is the first of her historical mysteries that I've read.  I enjoyed it and will happily read more.  It reminded me a bit of Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey Regency mysteries; the first of which is still free: The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 1).

The description of In Milady's Chamber follows:

"Lady Fieldhurst chose the wrong time to finally agree to a lover, as they discovered her husband stabbed to death in her boudoir. John Pickett, Bow Street Runner, questions whether her ladyship is guilty of the murder, and his superiors question his impartiality, given his interest in her. But there is the presumptive heir, near bankruptcy, and the disappearing butler, and the nocturnal visitor and ..."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 19

book%2Bcover%2Bpassenger.jpg

I think this cover is the most intriguing!

One year, DD chose her co-op classes based solely on whether food was offered. She took a cooking class and a class where every week they read a story and had a corresponding snack from different countries. We all have our priorities!

I did not complete any books this week except for the Warriors special edition, which only counts for something in DD's eyes. I just couldn't summon the mental stamina to stick with anything else for very long. It wasn't a bad week though, just lots of things competing for attention.

• Like 18

Hi, All! I let last week pass by me without posting. I subscribe to the thread though so I always get to enjoy all your wonderful posts.

Today I finished "Dune." I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the second book in the series. There is still quite a story to be told. Has anyone read the sequel? Was it as good as Dune? I'm using this book to cover the "One Word Title" on the BINGO board.

The week before last, I finished "Miss Julia Takes Over." I was introduced to Miss Julia by someone on this board, and I'm glad. I just love her! I also finished, "Royal Blood." This is the 4th book in the Royal Spyness series. I adore listening to these books. The reader does such a great job. The last book I finished was "The Peril at End House." I have been chomping at the bit to read "Murder on the Orient Express." However, I have this problem with having to read books in order. So I've been working my way through the Hercule Poirot books. I finished the 8th book in the series, "The Peril at End House." Even though I guessed the murderer early on, I still enjoyed this mystery. This week, I will finally be reading, "Murder on the Orient Express."

• Like 19

Hello everybody! I missed a week (well, the thread anyway) - life got in the way. Happy to be reading what everybody is reading again!

I finished The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett, and started on Queens Play. These have slowed me right down, because I am looking up all the references all the time. Should just read it, enjoy it, and remain ignorant.

P.S. Can't work out how to post images of book covers....

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not.  Elspeth Morrison published a two volume set of companion books to Dunnett's Lymond and Niccolo novels.  These companions have translations, explanations of the geopolitics of the time, even additional verses of poetry.  You'll still look things up but I found this was more efficient than turning to the internet. For Lymond you only need the first volume.

513qOEMngVL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 17

We are actually going over to my mom's for a hot dog & chili night while the Super Bowl is on. We will probably watch parts of it (because my dad will have it on for sure), but I suspect dd & ds will end up reading their books rather than watching the game.

My husband went to his brother's house for the day to visit and watch the Super Bowl. He told me he thought I would be bored by myself at home. I told him that I would be the opposite of bored. A quiet house and stack of books = Happy Mamma! Edited by AllSmiles
  • Like 16

Book covers - There's a reason why I don't choose books that way. When I looked at Robin's post, Passenger seemed the most intriguing to me. Then I looked it up. It's nothing like the cover would lead me to believe, and on top of that it's a genre I really dislike. I'd have either wasted money or time if I chose that book based on the cover. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 21

I actually finished four books this week :driving: and dropped my first book of the year.  I made it through three chapters of Crocodile on a Sandbank by Peters on audiobook.  I found the combination of the narrator's voice and the first person style of the book annoying.  It made the main character annoying, and I decided that I would stop before I totally disliked her.  This way I can try again at a future point in print.

Finished This Week (reviews linked)

• The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin- This is my first nonfiction book of the year.  I found it well-written and very practical.  5 stars
  • Adventures of a Vegan Vamp by Cate Lawley - I downloaded this cozy mystery from the Prime library simply because the title caught my attention.   It gets 4 stars for making me laugh. 
  • The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher - Another book from the Prime library.  This fairytale fills my prime number bingo slot and was an entertaining way to while away a couple of hours.
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley - I read the first three books of the Flavia de Luce series a couple of years back.  I picked it to complete the gemstone challenge for January and am using it for my bingo mystery slot as well.

Long term reads:

• ESV Bible - almost done with Leviticus
  • History of the Ancient World - finished chapters 9 and 10 this week

Current reads (always subject to change on a whim)

• Audiobook:  I have a couple on Overdrive hold that I'm waiting on.  I'm leaning towards listening to Casino Royale by Fleming which I can get free on Audible as a backup plan. 
  • Fiction books:
    • Slathbog's Gold by Forman - Have to either finish or set aside this week as it is due at the library on Tuesday.  I also have quite a large library stack waiting on me.
    • Samantha Watkins:  Chronicles of an Extraordinary Ordinary Life by Venem - another Prime book I started on my kindle while waiting on the kids the other day.
    • Nonfiction book:  The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Covey - I picked this up to preview for dds after seeing it on a previous thread

Finished for the year

10.  The Happiness Project by Rubin

9.  Adventures of a Vegan Vamp by Lawely

8.  The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher (Bingo:  prime number)

7.  A Red Herring Without Mustard by Bradley (Garnet book and bingo: mystery)

6.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams (Bingo: outer space)

5.  Stormbreaker  by Horowitz (Bingo: one word title)

4.  Moon Dance by Rain (Bingo: flufferton)

3.  The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Doyle (Bingo: collection of short stories)

2.  The Strange Library by Murakami

1.  Written in Red by Bishop

• Like 21

I love the Miss Julia books! Sadly, I finished the last one, though there is a new one coming out sometime this year.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the series. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series. I'm glad to hear this series is still being continued.

Edited by AllSmiles
  • Like 14

I actually finished four books this week :driving: and dropped my first book of the year. I made it through three chapters of Crocodile on a Sandbank by Peters on audiobook. I found the combination of the narrator's voice and the first person style of the book annoying. It made the main character annoying, and I decided that I would stop before I totally disliked her. This way I can try again at a future point in

I really loved the Amelia Peabody books. I'm pretty enamored with all things Ancient Egypt though. I think there was one or two books that didn't quite catch my fancy. I never listened to the books on audio though. Just a plug for keeping this series as an option in the future.
  • Like 16

Robin, I'd have to pick The Midnight Dance, plus it gives me time to read down my list by release time (like that'll ever happen... haha)!

Amy, I'm all for picking out which Super Bowl party to attend based on the food.

Books I Finished This Week:

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - enjoyed it more than I anticipated, thanks for the recommendation ladies

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman - eh, probably won't read the next in the series

Books I Started and Then Abandoned This Week:

The Regional Office Is Under Attack by Manual Gonzales - I got over halfway through this book, but I found I just wasn't interested in the anymore. Plus, I was listening to it, and I think it made following along so much more difficult than if I had the book in my hand

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben - I really, really wanted to like this book, but I'm not sure if it's the translation or if it just needs a better editor, but I found it annoying. The author would introduce a fact, then a couple of pages later re-introduce the same fact. It's like he forgot that he'd already gone over the fact previously. 

Book I Started This Week and Didn't Abandon :) :

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Books I'm Still Reading:

Tales from the Odyssey Part 2 by Mary Pope Osborne (read aloud with little kids)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey (study with the older kids)

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier (family read aloud)

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards (read aloud with little kids)

• Like 19

Hi, All! I let last week pass by me without posting. I subscribe to the thread though so I always get to enjoy all your wonderful posts.

Today I finished "Dune." I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the second book in the series. There is still quite a story to be told. Has anyone read the sequel? Was it as good as Dune? I'm using this book to cover the "One Word Title" on the BINGO board.

The week before last, I finished "Miss Julia Takes Over." I was introduced to Miss Julia by someone on this board, and I'm glad. I just love her! I also finished, "Royal Blood." This is the 4th book in the Royal Spyness series. I adore listening to these books. The reader does such a great job. The last book I finished was "The Peril at End House." I have been chomping at the bit to read "Murder on the Orient Express." However, I have this problem with having to read books in order. So I've been working my way through the Hercule Poirot books. I finished the 8th book in the series, "The Peril at End House." Even though I guessed the murderer early on, I still enjoyed this mystery. This week, I will finally be reading, "Murder on the Orient Express."

I've read all the original Dune novels, and all the prequels written by Frank Herbert's son Brian. I've enjoyed them all, but no, I don't think any of the following books in the Dune series are as good as the first one. It was quite amazingly brilliant.

• Like 20

Robin, I am intrigued by the Frost Like Night cover. The Midnight Dance one is good, too. The last cover is already on my TBR list.

I tried to read Euphoria, I think it was when Robin posted it on here due to it's cover but I couldn't get too far in it. I gave up.

Stacia, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about The Second Mrs. Hockaday. The subject interests me but it is an epistolary novel and I am not good with those so I haven't ordered it from the library yet. I am giving myself time to think it through. 😃

• Like 17

Ug. Been scrambling for MONTHS now to keep up with yard work, then the holidays, getting over 2 rounds of colds, and my Film Analysis & Essay Writing class, and... well, life! I have managed to keep a small trickle of reading going, but just can't seem to manage to onto these weekly threads before a month or more at a time has flown by!  :eek:

Anyways... Back again in the book thread after an unintentional hiatus... I asked for, and received, a STACK of books for Christmas, and am slowly making my way through that, saving the "big boys" for this summer...(looking at YOU, 900+-page Sunne in Splendor -- and looking at YOU, WTMers, for the multiple recommendations last year for making me put that one on my list to get and read... :laugh: )

I started the new year off with a bang: Death Comes for the Deconstructionist (Taylor). The title alone boosts this one up a notch or two for me.  :laugh: Thoroughly enjoyed this one, up until the last 1/4, when it felt rushed and a bit unbelievable -- probably because of the lack of detail and depth that marks the first 1/2, and which makes the first 1/2 of the book so delicious.

From there I slipped off into Diana Wynn Jones' Dalemark world and read all 4 of the quartet. Top marks for creativity and quality of the world she builds; love that many of the characters -- main characters -- are not likable; makes them so much more real and believable. The characters of the Old Ones reminds me a lot of the gods in Megan Whelan Turner's Queen's Thief series. (And speaking of which, is anyone else impatient for the May release of book 5 in that series -- which looks like it will actually be a separate stand-alone entry in the series?) I have a few minor quibbles, esp. with the final book (Crown of Dalemark), but because it's getting so rare to find such a well-developed fantasy world that doesn't look like a carbon copy of a video game with predictable plot and flat characters, I'm happy to forgive minor quibbles. ;)

I just finished off The Golem and Jinni (Wecker) this afternoon. While Wecker's writing is rather modern and ordinary, and doesn't soar or delve into the depth of character in the way I think her terrifically creative world deserves, it's still a worthy read. I would never have guessed someone could blend the ideas of an ancient Arabian genie, an Eastern European golem, and end of the 19th century New York City immigrant cultures into a novel that works so well... ;)

Even though Robin's challenge comes, for me, just as I *finish* the book, I'll submit The Golem and the Jinni for my "pick a book by the cover" challenge. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else likes the look of! :)

post-600-0-08544500-1486333627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 23

I really loved the Amelia Peabody books. I'm pretty enamored with all things Ancient Egypt though. I think there was one or two books that didn't quite catch my fancy. I never listened to the books on audio though. Just a plug for keeping this series as an option in the future.

I think it was the audio format that I disliked. I'll try them as ebooks in a few months when my stack of books to read goes down.

Books I'm Still Reading:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey (study with the older kids)

Thanks for the idea. I' m going to read it this week for dds.

Robin - My first choice would have been book 2, but I also thought the first cover looked interesting.

• Like 17