Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW6: Pick a book by the cover

Robin M

I will freely confess that I do not get the Kate DiCamillo love at all. The only books of hers I've tried I did not like. I thought they were way to emotionally disturbing for the age of kids the stories seemed to target.  I'm sorry for your poor sweet girls, and agree with Lori D's suggestions - find something sweet and life-affirming for them, pronto! They will enjoy reading the dark stuff soon enough, but no need to rush it. My girls are 10 and 14 and one is one either side of that divide - my dd10 hates stuff where moms die or sad dark things happen. Dd14 has just in the past year started to enjoy a darker story that makes her think and question things. I'm not sorry to have waited with older dd till she was ready.

The few times we've done DiCamillo's books as read alouds, we have not enjoyed them either.  I've found the tone to be very off - we don't avoid dark subject matter but these ones have not had anything to balance that feeling IMO.  DD enjoyed Flora and Ulysses (I think - she claimed she did when she read it) but aside from that they've all been busts.

As for my reading, I finished The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom – a story set in the south during the late 1700s when slavery was an accepted fact.  Told in alternating perspectives between a young white girl/woman who became an indentured servant for a wealthy family after being orphaned on her way to America from Ireland and a young black woman who is the daughter of the husband of the family and who has had some advantages thanks to this.  Follows them over a period of 20 years or so.  It very much had the feeling of ‘and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened’ as if the author needed to cram in all the events and they were just happening one after the other and we didn’t ever get a chance to breathe, to reflect, to deepen the characters.  In short, it seemed superficial.  Also, I know that it was a time when women didn’t have a lot of power but it seemed very much a story in which things happened to the women, over and over and over, and they never controlled the ways things went.  I found it frustrating to read but it was for book club so I read it.  Part of my feeling might be coloured by the fact that it was recalled by the library and I had to rush through the last half of the book so I could return it on time.

Also read North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My counterculture Family, and How I Survived both by Cea Sunrise Person – well, I have no idea what draws me to these tales of families gone awry but I do enjoy reading them when they are well told and I felt this one was.  It was not overly dramatic but yet full of terrible things happening, and you got the feeling that the author was very much trying to figure out not only how she survived, but why she lived the way she did and how it impacted her later in life.  It was also a bit jarring in that she’s only a couple of years older than I am and many of the places she spent time in are places I’m familiar with so I feel like we could have crossed paths easily and I can’t imagine having my childhood be anything remotely like hers.  I devoured this in a day and feel somewhat ready to face the world again.  Some compare it to The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and I would agree.

Currently reading In the Shadow of the Banyan which is incorporating a lot of Cambodian folklore which is quite interesting as I know nothing about this.  And just started Books for Living by Will Schwalbe.  I read his End of Your Life Book Club a few years back and enjoyed his reflections on the books he and his mother read as she was dying.  I like the episodic nature of the books and the fact that they introduce me to new books that I have never heard of and that sometimes end up on my TBR list.

I've decided that I will start my French book Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky during our morning 1/2 hour reading time once I finish The Sky and the Forest.  I watched a movie in French (The French Doctor) a few nights ago - it had subtitles but I was knitting so I had to listen closely.  It's much harder for me to grasp spoken French than written French, especially with mumbling and different accents.  But I'm hoping the reading in French will help a bit.

• Like 17

I've decided that I will start my French book Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky during our morning 1/2 hour reading time once I finish The Sky and the Forest.  I watched a movie in French (The French Doctor) a few nights ago - it had subtitles but I was knitting so I had to listen closely.  It's much harder for me to grasp spoken French than written French, especially with mumbling and different accents.  But I'm hoping the reading in French will help a bit.

I read this (in English) this summer. The writing is quite masterful. I wished she had had a chance to complete it - only 2 of the planned 5 parts were written. The first part is full of just devastating characterizations. 

• Like 13

Currently reading In the Shadow of the Banyan which is incorporating a lot of Cambodian folklore which is quite interesting as I know nothing about this.  And just started Books for Living by Will Schwalbe.  I read his End of Your Life Book Club a few years back and enjoyed his reflections on the books he and his mother read as she was dying.  I like the episodic nature of the books and the fact that they introduce me to new books that I have never heard of and that sometimes end up on my TBR list.

I loved End of Your Life Book Club. Just seeing the title takes me back to the book and how much it resonated with me, how much a part of my relationship with my kids, even now that they are adults, is wrapped around the books we share. Will have to get my hands on Books for Living!

I see on Goodreads that Lady Florida gave In the Shadow of the Banyan 5 stars a few years back. Clearly this is another book I must read!

• Like 14

Boy, oh boy... Little Abby has had quite the year, hasn't she?  May her second be less stressful. Angela, you are a rock star as far as I am concerned.

Here are my updates:

One Thousand and One Nights: A pleasant read, but I never lost that feeling that I was reading a Junior Classics version of a classic.

An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments: I am reading this with DS, one bad argument each day. Stellar!! This little book is succinct and entertaining. We love it.

I started Dr. Zhivago, and every minute I spend in the book is sheer joy. But I have set it aside to read The Bear and The Nightingale. I just got it from the library, and it won't be renewable of course. I don't read quickly, and I want to make sure I get it done on time. So far it hits a trifecta for me: fairy tales, Russia, and winter. As Rose noted, the author deftly hits that intersection of time in the north when Christianity was overlapping with the older beliefs. It reminds me of Kristen Lavransdatter in that sense.

We saw a great documentary over the weekend at a film fest. The Babushkas of Chernobyl tells the story of the babushkas who live in Chernobyl exclusion zone. I recommend it if you get the opportunity. It was interesting, and also quite funny in spots. For me, it is the perfect segue to my Eastern European bingo read, Voices from Chernobyl The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster.

I read Zinky Boys by Svetlana Alexievich last summer--not an easy book to read with its subject matter (Russian Afghan war veterans and their families--"zinky" refers to zinc coffins.)  Voices from Chernobyl is a book that I should read.  Thanks for the nudge.

A thank goodness for film festivals.  How else would some of us ever see documentaries? 

Kareni--I had a feeling that the Korean based owl lover would appreciate the hashtag.  We'll have to have a more formal owl celebration next year.

• Like 17

Ladies, as I said I'm tired tonight. I have also taken a couple of Alieves. So perhaps not fully functioning mentally. I read Jane's post regarding superb owls but thought it was Amy posting. My whole family had an "how cute is Chews " moment. For our new people our families actually in real life know each other so this was a bit of a how big he must be now event. I was busy thinking we could have an owl theme activity thrown in to future plans just for him. I love to have silly parties for little people and celebrated every event I could think of when my kids were little. Then I go back to quote it and discover it was Jane's ds. Somehow I don't think Jane's ds would enjoy my version of a superb owl party! I still haven't fessed up that it wasn't Chews.

Amy, at least she her priorities in order regarding the Super Bowl. My kids have been to a party a few years ago.....Steelers were playing. A friend is a huge fan and felt they needed the cultural experience. They had fun but still know absolutely nothing about American football.

Also dd enjoyed the Dragon books.

LOL.  That's too funny. 

Take it easy on those Alieves ... don't Alieve and drive!

I also finished a book by the same author  ~

I particularly enjoyed this whole series.  Are you reading on a Kindle?  I own all the books and would be happy to Kindle loan them to you. 

Book covers - There's a reason why I don't choose books that way. When I looked at Robin's post, Passenger seemed the most intriguing to me. Then I looked it up. It's nothing like the cover would lead me to believe, and on top of that it's a genre I really dislike. I'd have either wasted money or time if I chose that book based on the cover. 

I'm they same way.  I love the IDEA of reading a book based on it's cover but in actuality I just can't bring myself to do it.  Too little time to read and too much darkness I'm trying to avoid.  I research my books pretty thoroughly before reading them these days. 

I finished Spark, which was quite inspiring. I think I'm going to keep a running/fitness/exercise book going at all times through this year, to try and stay motivated. Today I did an hour long, 5.5 K walk/sprint routine and I am whipped now. So tired, but it felt really good. I'm making dd read this book next and I'm going to start dragging her out with me to run.   Next up is The First Twenty Minutes, a recommendation from . . . Mom-ninja, I think?

Good for you!  That's a great way to start the day.  Looking forward to your review of The First Twenty Minutes. 

• Like 17

I finished Death Comes to Pemberly by PD James. 

Wow.  What an incredible stinker of a book.  It failed on many levels - the mystery was randomly solved HIGHLIGHT HERE FOR SPOILER -> deathbed confession delivered at the last possible moment, the flattest most uninteresting characters possible,  random rants from Darcy about the state of the legal system and basically he was a proponent of our current legal system 200 years ago (yeah ... right), slow plodding pace, and about 75% of this book was repeating what characters had told each other in the previous scene.

It was a mess.  I'm being generous with two stars.

The usual suspects were all there but the only ones that maintained a trace of their previous (P&P) selves were the Bingleys.  I've read PD James mysteries before and they are great.  This wasn't even much of a mystery ... I thought Elizabeth and Darcy would be out solving the crime and investigating but they just sat by and watched as the mystery unfolded.

The only highlights of the book were the first part that was a fun retelling of the story and catching up with everyone where they were now and the fact that there was a fun mention of Emma and Harriet.  

• Like 19

Wow.  What an incredible stinker of a book.  It failed on many levels - the mystery was randomly solved HIGHLIGHT HERE FOR SPOILER -> deathbed confession delivered at the last possible moment, the flattest most uninteresting characters possible,  random rants from Darcy about the state of the legal system and basically he was a proponent of our current legal system 200 years ago (yeah ... right), slow plodding pace, and about 75% of this book was repeating what characters had told each other in the previous scene...

I was pretty disappointed with it too. Though, I thought it wasn't so much a stinker :laugh: , as just lifeless and dull -- more like it was James' ideas/outline for a novel than an actual fully-fleshed out work. 

I've enjoyed some of the Mr. & Mrs. Darcy mysteries (by Carrie Bebris) much more, as they don't try to be anything more than light and frothy mysteries, with Lizzie and Darcy meeting the main characters from other Austin novels, with a mystery in each. There are 7 in the series, and while 5 of them are varying degrees of fine to quite fun, 2 were quite disappointing -- North by Northanger (very weak), and Matters at Mansfield (ridiculously unbelievable).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 19

Interestingly enough, I've never read Miéville. Maybe I need to try something by him. Any recs from those who have read something by him?

I have Perdido Street Station that I've been trying to work through the past year and I've attempted The City & The City. He is weird, but it's more from a world building perspective. The characters don't do much for me so I haven't been able to finish one of his books. Edited by ErinE
  • Like 12

...Interestingly enough, I've never read Miéville. Maybe I need to try something by him. Any recs from those who have read something by him?

I was dazzled by Embassytown. It's very dense and complex, and I had to start it FOUR times, because I didn't read far enough into it the first three times to know "where I was" in the world of this book. So plan on enough time to read at least 80 pages into it in ONE sitting so you can get enough of a "grip" on the world to not feel lost when you pick it up the next day. The linguistics aspect was fascinating to me, and he absolutely creates an incredibly believable and thoroughly alien world of this other planet and its native inhabitants. 

I just finished Un Lun Dun last month. It is Mievelle's one young adult work. It was... okay. A creative premise and lots of interesting bits and pieces, but eventually it just felt like a lot of random stuff thrown together, and not a cohesive world. The characters were quite flat, and hard to care about. The Amazon review by BookWyrm entitled "Razzle Dazzle but no substance" echoes a lot of my thoughts (esp. about characters being alternatively passive or taking random actions), although I think BookWyrm disliked the book more than I did.

I've had The Scar sitting on the bookshelf for quite awhile. It was a recommendation from a very-long time friend (like a brother to DH and a BIL to me), who was terminally ill and we walked closely with him through his last year. He passed away a year ago today. Still not quite ready to read a few of the books he gave me; we used to pass books back and forth a lot, and I really miss having my "book buddy".

Probably my favorite two books so far that *might* fit this "New Weird Genre" category are: Shades of Gray (Fforde) -- dystopian -- and Anathem (Stephenson) -- sci-fi.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 15

Wow.  What an incredible stinker of a book.  It failed on many levels - the mystery was randomly solved HIGHLIGHT HERE FOR SPOILER -> deathbed confession delivered at the last possible moment, the flattest most uninteresting characters possible,  random rants from Darcy about the state of the legal system and basically he was a proponent of our current legal system 200 years ago (yeah ... right), slow plodding pace, and about 75% of this book was repeating what characters had told each other in the previous scene.

It was a mess.  I'm being generous with two stars.

The usual suspects were all there but the only ones that maintained a trace of their previous (P&P) selves were the Bingleys.  I've read PD James mysteries before and they are great.  This wasn't even much of a mystery ... I thought Elizabeth and Darcy would be out solving the crime and investigating but they just sat by and watched as the mystery unfolded.

The only highlights of the book were the first part that was a fun retelling of the story and catching up with everyone where they were now and the fact that there was a fun mention of Emma and Harriet.  

There was a reference to the Elliott too, Anne's brilliant marriage to a naval captain and mention of her father and sister. Although if I recall correctly, the reference didn't include the fact that Sir whoever Elliott had remarried . . . 

I enjoyed the book, particularly that first section that fills you in on the happenings over the past six years. It had Austen-worthy satire. The rest of the book definitely didn't stay at that high of a level, but I like James enough to have enjoyed it as an homage to P&P.

Love in the Time of Cholera: I dislike so many of the same things about it that y'all have mentioned. But there's one thing that I love, that makes the book soar for me: he does such a good job of allowing his elderly protagonists to have full emotional lives. Not a lot of books deal have old protagonists - truly old, 70s-80s, who are fully realized, fully emotional, fully sexual and physical characters. Too often the aged are a type or a placeholder or a flat character put in for effect. I really loved that about this book - the eventual love scene on the boat was so touching, to me.  I can remember my grandmother saying how she'd look in the mirror and think, "Who is that old lady?" You don't stop feeling desire and love and other emotions, but maybe you never quite catch up, image wise, with the body that you eventually have. I like how Marquez wrote that, and it's the saving grace of a book that is otherwise fairly distasteful.  For me.

Guess it's my turn to disagree with reviews today! Happy to do it.  ;)  :D

• Like 13

Happy Birthday to Abby!!!

Also I hope everyone who is ill feels better soon! :grouphug:

I managed to read most an easy cozy mystery during that night and was able to finish it today. Ripped from the Pages https://www.goodreads.com/series/46593-bibliophile-mystery is part of the Bibliophile series which I have been reading my way through for the past year. This series features a main character who is a book binder specializing in preservation. It's interesting from a craft perspective, occasionally I see classes in book binding as a hobby but haven't had time to try one yet. The setting is San Francisco and wine country which brings back memories of some great holidays many years ago. Nothing special but I like this series......

• Like 14

I was pretty disappointed with it too. Though, I thought it wasn't so much a stinker :laugh: , as just lifeless and dull -- more like it was James' ideas/outline for a novel than an actual fully-fleshed out work. 

I've enjoyed some of the Mr. & Mrs. Darcy mysteries (by Carrie Bebris) much more, as they don't try to be anything more than light and frothy mysteries, with Lizzie and Darcy meeting the main characters from other Austin novels, with a mystery in each. There are 7 in the series, and while 5 of them are varying degrees of fine to quite fun, 2 were quite disappointing -- North by Northanger (very weak), and Matters at Mansfield (ridiculously unbelievable).

Thanks.  What is your favorite of the series?  I'll start there.

• Like 12

Hello, Robin & all. Brand-spanking-new member here!

My vote:

269364f0b67b40bf2f22f6671858a89f.jpg

Ballerina's reaching posture, clock face with Roman numerals (and an actual IV instead of IIII!), fine gold flourishes, black background, the word "Dance" in the title....

My choice for me:

e0deefbeed203c3231d26f603628b726.jpg

Pulled from my home library's dustiest shelf.

• Like 16

Do be aware that the series do have a very broad "arc" to them, as they start right at the Darcys' wedding, and each succeeding story takes place 6-9 months after the previous one, so that there are a few family events (marriages, births, deaths) that crop up in each book to help give you the sense of what happened to the characters after the original Austin novels. So if you don't mind "spoiling" a few of those details by reading out of order, then my favorites are:

The Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match (highlights Lizzie of P&P, and Mr. Knightly and Emma of Emma)

The Deception at Lyme; Or, The Peril of Persuasion (highlights Mr. Darcy of P&P working well with Captain Wentworth of Persuasion)

I also enjoyed the first two books, but just need to give you a heads up that they both have a strong supernatural tinge to them, esp. book #2 which is strongly influenced by The Picture of Dorian Gray. The remaining books of the series lose that supernatural flavor and are much closer to Austin's world as-written.

Books #1 (Pride and Prescience; Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged) and #2 (Suspense and Sensibility; Or, First Impressions) are also slightly connected by the introduction of a new side character and a plot device, so those should probably be read together, and in order.

Enjoy!

• Like 15

I'm listening to A Man Called Ove, and clearly I'm a curmudgeonly old lady because I don't find it charming. Bits of it have touched me, but I'm annoyed with how predictable it is, and how I know there is going to be some lovely, pat, feel good ending. Actually, what really annoyed me was having Ove, at age 59, being described as elderly. That isn't old!! I'm only finishing it to fill in a space on my library system's reading challenge.

I didn't mind the predictability but I must have missed his age somehow. That would have annoyed me if I realized it.

Super Bowl - We watched at my inlaws' house but missed the exciting conclusion because we were taking tired kids home. We ate birthday cake. Yesterday was Abby's first birthday. For new people to the thread, I joined last year when I was very pregnant with #9. When she was born in early February, we learned she had Down Syndrome. She had several heart defects, which were thankfully able to be repaired with one surgery in July. (I brought Don Camillo with me on the recommendation of VC and Kareni and it turned out to be an excellent companion for the ICU.) So anyway, yesterday she turned 1 and we rejoiced. I made a sponge cake with chocolate pudding icing (it had to be something without dairy, and the sponge cake has no butter, but almond milk subbed for the milk) and she was quite happy with her first taste of chocolate. A good time was had by all.

Happy Belated Birthday Abby! I can't believe it's been a year already.

Currently reading In the Shadow of the Banyan which is incorporating a lot of Cambodian folklore which is quite interesting as I know nothing about this. 

I see on Goodreads that Lady Florida gave In the Shadow of the Banyan 5 stars a few years back. Clearly this is another book I must read!

I'm a bit more stingy with stars now than I was then, but I did enjoy the book. I learned things I didn't know about Cambodia and I loved the way the story was told. I would probably give it 4 stars if I was rating it today, so still very good.

• Like 13

Loesje, Before I forget I am going to remove to Susan Parry Yorkshire Dales mysteries from my Goodreads shelf because I want to return them to the library. I read part way through one and am not that enthused with the mystery. The setting is quite accurate, my family is actually from about tens miles away and I have never lived there but have visited and done loads of research.

Dd read tye first one in this series last fall and really liked it.

My vote:269364f0b67b40bf2f22f6671858a89f.jpg

Ballerina's reaching posture, clock face with Roman numerals (and an actual IV instead of IIII!), fine gold flourishes, black background, the word "Dance" in the title....

My choice for me:e0deefbeed203c3231d26f603628b726.jpg

Welcome to BaW!

• Like 14

Concerning the John Pickett Mysteries by Sheri Cobb South:

I particularly enjoyed this whole series.  Are you reading on a Kindle?  I own all the books and would be happy to Kindle loan them to you.

My library has some of the series in paper.  If I run across a missing entry, I shall let you know.  Thanks for the kind offer, Amy!

Interestingly enough, I've never read Miéville. Maybe I need to try something by him. Any recs from those who have read something by him?

My husband and I listened to The City and the City on a summer trip.  It was a curious book that I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend.  My daughter loved Un Lun Dun as a teen; I recall her sharing some witty language and names.

Welcome, Ailina!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 14

Welcome Ailina, jump right in and please feel free to share a dessert recipe. :D

Still incredibly busy here with kid activities and my own math class. I did feel a sense of accomplishment in finishing Love in the Time of Cholera this week. It was okay. Sometimes male authors annoy me with their view of love or sex and this fell into that category. Rape is not romantic, pedophilia is not romantic, awkward guy having sex with 622 different women while "waiting" 50+ years for his true love's husband to die is not romantic. 

Agreed. Although, there are female authors who try to pass off rape as romantic. Looking at you Ayn Rand.

I will freely confess that I do not get the Kate DiCamillo love at all. The only books of hers I've tried I did not like. I thought they were way to emotionally disturbing for the age of kids the stories seemed to target.  I'm sorry for your poor sweet girls, and agree with Lori D's suggestions - find something sweet and life-affirming for them, pronto! They will enjoy reading the dark stuff soon enough, but no need to rush it. My girls are 10 and 14 and one is one either side of that divide - my dd10 hates stuff where moms die or sad dark things happen. Dd14 has just in the past year started to enjoy a darker story that makes her think and question things. I'm not sorry to have waited with older dd till she was ready.

My kids liked Because of WinnDixie, hated The Tiger Rising, liked The Tale of Despereaux, and love the Mercy Watson  books. 

Jean Craighead George is another author that they like/hate depending on the book. 

I'm they same way.  I love the IDEA of reading a book based on it's cover but in actuality I just can't bring myself to do it.  Too little time to read and too much darkness I'm trying to avoid.  I research my books pretty thoroughly before reading them these days. 

Same here. Love the idea but too afraid to do it. There are things that once read can not be erased from my brain.

Rose, I think you'll like The First Twenty Minutes as it has a nice mix of science in it. I should reread it. Although, be aware that I read somewhere (can't recall at the moment) that the study about chocolate milk was funded by a dairy corporation so may not be unbiased. My favorite post exercise snack is a banana and of course water. (I can't drink milk anyway whether the study was legit or not.) My pre-exercise snack (if I have one) is applesauce. I love those squeezable fruit/applesauce blend things for when I need a boost of carbs before a hard or long workout. 

Anyone care to join me doing Fitness Blender each morning?  :D I'll let you pick the schedule. Maybe I should join Rose with the running. 

I'm now going to put my sick kids to bed and then climb into bed to read. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 16

Rose, I think you'll like The First Twenty Minutes as it has a nice mix of science in it. I should reread it. Although, be aware that I read somewhere (can't recall at the moment) that the study about chocolate milk was funded by a dairy corporation so may not be unbiased. My favorite post exercise snack is a banana and of course water. (I can't drink milk anyway whether the study was legit or not.) My pre-exercise snack (if I have one) is applesauce. I love those squeezable fruit/applesauce blend things for when I need a boost of carbs before a hard or long workout. 

Anyone care to join me doing Fitness Blender each morning?  :D I'll let you pick the schedule. Maybe I should join Rose with the running. 

Now that's cool!  Fitness Blender, I mean.  I had never heard of it. What do you do?

I can't run every day - some days it rains, even in CA, and my knees won't let me. I'm looking for other things I can do at home - I have a Jillian video, and a couple Yoga videos. But this looks pretty cool. Do you have any programs you like?

• Like 12

And another book-ish post ~

8 Ways to Read (a Lot) More Books This Year  by Neil Pasricha

And some enjoyable posts from the Word Wenches site ~

What We Are Reading

The Fictional Cities

On Porridge

Aprons

Regards,

Kareni

Not really book related but aesthetically I like how your list of links tapers down.  It's somehow pleasing to an organized mind.  

• Like 15

Here's a currently free historical romance by an author whose work I like (though I haven't read this one):

Silk and Shadows: Book 1 of The Silk Trilogy Mary Jo Putney

also a re-release of a romance that was contemporary at the time of its release ~ The Broken Wing by Mary Burchell

Here's a review of the book:

REVIEW: The Broken Wing by Mary Burchell - Dear Author

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

We ate birthday cake. Yesterday was Abby's first birthday. For new people to the thread, I joined last year when I was very pregnant with #9. When she was born in early February, we learned she had Down Syndrome. She had several heart defects, which were thankfully able to be repaired with one surgery in July. (I brought Don Camillo with me on the recommendation of VC and Kareni and it turned out to be an excellent companion for the ICU.) So anyway, yesterday she turned 1 and we rejoiced. I made a sponge cake with chocolate pudding icing (it had to be something without dairy, and the sponge cake has no butter, but almond milk subbed for the milk) and she was quite happy with her first taste of chocolate. A good time was had by all.

Woot Woot! Happy Birthday dear Abby!!!

I also think it might be time for reading glasses. I've been doing all sorts of odd tricks in order to be able to read. I've used reading lights or sitting in direct sun to brighten the pages. I've been tilting the books in multiple directions in order to see the print better; first I tilt the top half of the page then I tilt the bottom half of the page. I wanna cry. I know it's silly but this is the first time I've felt like I'm getting old.

Aw, sorry.  Once you quit fighting having to wear readers, you'll discover it isn't so bad and more restful for your arms and eyes.  Hugs! 

My vote:

269364f0b67b40bf2f22f6671858a89f.jpg

My choice for me:

e0deefbeed203c3231d26f603628b726.jpg

Welcome Ailina not only to our 52 books thread but also to WTM and the wonderful hive mind.  Lots of lovely ladies here with plenty of information.  I fell in love with the Midnight Dancer cover and can't wait for the book to come out.  Your pick is intriguing too!   

• Like 15

Not really book related but aesthetically I like how your list of links tapers down.  It's somehow pleasing to an organized mind.  

Sadly the next post did not carry through similarly.  (Though it does have something of an ABABC rhythm to it.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

This week I reread Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I love the humor in this one.

I also read Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. It started out with a lot of violence so I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I enjoyed it once I got into the story. I haven't read anything in this genre for a while.

My nonfiction reads are still waiting for me on my nightstand.

• Like 19

This week I reread Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I love the humor in this one.

Me too! Of the 3 by Austen, this is my favorite! Totally laugh-out-loud funny, and I actually think it's one of the best for connecting with teens because it's really like watching the insecurities and flirtings and showing-offs of high school.  :laugh:

I also love both of the 1987 and 2007 TV movie versions -- each hilarious for different reasons and each with strengths of their own.

• Like 14

DD was just asking about some new audiobooks ... I love the suggestion for Dealing with Dragons. That sounds perfect for her!

I live just a about 15 miles away from Truman's home in Kansas City and just this year DH and I (both born and raised here) made it to his library for the first time. Really impressive man. So humble and just a good soul.

I've added his roadtrip book to my to-read list. My long never ending to-read list ...

Jolly good! When you posted that you were reading it I was a little bit worried if you wouldn't like it because it isn't a "Stacia book" at all. Your books always seem to have a level of deepness and thought that Jeeves certainly doesn't.

I vote for this one. The cover and the title sound very intriguing. Have fun with your son at B&N today. My family is going to the late Mass because we know we'll be about the only ones there.

So either I'm stalking you or your stalking me with our reading choices this year. Either way ... I'm good with it!

Well lady you sound very British with that report on your garden.

Aggie Amy I grew up in Grandview... Harry Hey Days, baby!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Me too! Of the 3 by Austen, this is my favorite! Totally laugh-out-loud funny, and I actually think it's one of the best for connecting with teens because it's really like watching the insecurities and flirtings and showing-offs of high school. [emoji23]

I also love both of the 1987 and 2007 TV movie versions -- each hilarious for different reasons and each with strengths of their own.

I've got my teenager reading Emma right now... he's not super happy with me but I can't give him a credit for British History without Regency Romance!! And I thought he'd find the character of Emma appealing. He complained a lot but then asked to watch more of the Rommola version of the miniseries so he's at least sort of interested :) I even let him start out with the Marvel graphic novel thinking that if he just focused on plot first he'd be less hung up on the manners and language...

• Like 14

Hope you feel better, loesje. I will be curious to know what you think about the hygge book.

It is not a substantial book. But it is a enjoyable book like several standard lady magazines are enjoyable when one is ill or on holiday :)

For those in search or need for help to create more sphere at home, it is not the best 'how to ...' - guide. Although I have never found a book to help with that.

It feels like a 'jump on the wagon of the hygge hype' book, while I secretly hoped for more.

But it is a nice read :)

And DH and dd loved all the little facts in it :)

• Like 15

Just... NOOOOO! :eek: :crying:

Quick! Time for something sweet and funny and affirming to read aloud and wipe out THOSE thoughts! Perhaps something like:

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Trumpet of the Swan,

Half Magic

The Enormous Egg

Ivy & Bean

Fortunately The Milk

Owls in the Family

You are always so good with the book lists, Lori! I only know two of those. I'll have to check them out.

I will freely confess that I do not get the Kate DiCamillo love at all. The only books of hers I've tried I did not like. I thought they were way to emotionally disturbing for the age of kids the stories seemed to target. I'm sorry for your poor sweet girls, and agree with Lori D's suggestions - find something sweet and life-affirming for them, pronto! They will enjoy reading the dark stuff soon enough, but no need to rush it. My girls are 10 and 14 and one is one either side of that divide - my dd10 hates stuff where moms die or sad dark things happen. Dd14 has just in the past year started to enjoy a darker story that makes her think and question things. I'm not sorry to have waited with older dd till she was ready.

Fortunately, I think I am more traumatised by my children's responses than they were. My 6 year old is super tough. This is the same girl who, as a 4 year old, insisted on The Gulag of Archipelago as her betime story for 3 weeks straight. (And I only agreed because she had been trying to read it to herself). But yes we are definitely looking for something a little more positive for the next audiobook for sure !

• Like 15

Now that's cool!  Fitness Blender, I mean.  I had never heard of it. What do you do?

I can't run every day - some days it rains, even in CA, and my knees won't let me. I'm looking for other things I can do at home - I have a Jillian video, and a couple Yoga videos. But this looks pretty cool. Do you have any programs you like?

I big puffy heart Fitness Blender. It has been my main source of exercise for 5 or 6 years now. I like all their programs even the ebook plans. Sadly, I can't access them because I saved them to my old hard drive and that computer crashed. Always back up your stuff!

I am doing FB Fit Round 2 at the moment. My dh is doing their low impact program. I suggest starting there for people not used to exercise on a regular basis. You don't have to purchase a program of course, but I'm lazy and love the convenience of it. I love that you do a new video each day. I get really bored with DVDs. Plus it's not good to do the same thing over and over. I have a very large collection of exercise DVDs that just gather dust because I'm full on Fitness Blender. They have a video about how to put together your own schedule. They also have a cross training schedule that you can use if you do other forms of exercise on your own like running or playing a sport. So if you keep up your running that might be a good one for you. 

All the videos (mostly) show you ways to make things easier or harder. The level 5 videos (hardest) don't usually have modifications because well if you are doing level 5 then you better be an experienced exerciser and be very fit. I did a level 5 a couple days ago and my legs are still angry with me. :)

I love that the two of them keep things simple. No diet plan other than eating whole foods. No cutting carbs, no high protein, no supplements, etc. as they tell you that you only need to eat healthy, whole food and drink water to get what you need and lose weight (or gain weight or maintain weight depending on your goal). 

My dh bought me the adjustable weights they use, and it is one my favorite presents ever along with the exercise mat I figured out that they use. He also just bought me a pair of Inov-8 shoes (he even got them on sale!) for my birthday. Best shoes ever. I am in love. That is one of my best tips for someone who exercises, get excellent shoes. Shoes make a huge difference. I didn't believe it at first, but now I know.  

Ok, enough about all this non-book stuff. 

I read two more chapters in Waldon. I will get this book done! I was supposed to finish it in Jan. Is it my fault that other books distract me? 

And now I'm late for my Fitness Blender date this morning. One more plug....everyone go check them out. Very fun, free if you put together your own schedule and very affordable if you go the easy route and buy a schedule, they are a super cute couple, their philosophy is that everyone should be able to afford good health and fitness, they donate money to different charities, and the programs work.  

Yoga with Adrienne is another great youtube channel if you like yoga. I always try to do her videos but it's hard for me to fit them in too. I need to work on that. If I read less......

ETA: I forgot that they have 5 day challenges. These give you an example of how their longer schedules are set up. 

It's pretty impressive that I finished anything since I had emergency (and awful) wisdom tooth issues this week!

Ouch! Tooth pain is one of the worst!

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 13

I've been reading By Gaslight this morning and can now comment on the lack of punctuation especially for dialogue. I don't dislike it this time. I actually think it might be a bit atmospheric in this book. In my recent Saramago https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7721933-the-elephant-s-journey I kept losing my place and was in a state of constantly having to reread. Wolf Hall I disliked almost from page one so I can't point at the lack of punctuation being much of a factor.

Now back to my book! ;)

• Like 15

It's pretty impressive that I finished anything since I had emergency (and awful) wisdom tooth issues this week!

Feel better soon! 

On a related dental note: Yesterday, when I told DS14 his appointment to get his braces was this morning, he replied "Hide Me!" He sends his sympathies.

((HUGS))

Feel better soon! 

On a related dental note: Yesterday, when I told DS14 his appointment to get his braces was this morning, he replied "Hide Me!" He sends his sympathies.

That's a long appointment! We are just on the last four weeks of DD having braces and it feels like it's been a long journey.  My DD recommends that you fix your son mashed potatoes for dinner and let him eat as many milk shakes as he wants.  

• Like 11

((HUGS))

That's a long appointment! We are just on the last four weeks of DD having braces and it feels like it's been a long journey.  My DD recommends that you fix your son mashed potatoes for dinner and let him eat as many milk shakes as he wants.  

Great recommendation! He'll vote for that! 

Here is an article on how fiction tackles economic insecurity. There is a special reference to Iceland just for Jane.

Ethel, my ds just got braces a month ago. It was a 45 min. appointment. I wanted to get a nice chunk of reading done, but the lady next to me was talking loudly on her cell phone. I heard everything about her finances, her son's behavior, his personal hygiene habits, her parents financial status and that of her husband's parents.  

Soapbox: please have the proper etiquette to step outside when you are speaking on your cell phone. At least go to an area/corner that is as secluded as can be if you can't go outside. No one wants to hear your conversation. You are disruptive to others. Privacy has gone out the window and I disapprove of public conversations on a cell phone. 

Had to get that off my chest.

Ds agrees that for the next few days mashed potatoes, ice cream, pudding, oatmeal, and chocolate milk are all essential. 

Just read this Tiffany Aching quote, "Being a witch is a man's job. That's why women do it."  :thumbup:

• Like 14

Ethel, my ds just got braces a month ago. It was a 45 min. appointment. I wanted to get a nice chunk of reading done, but the lady next to me was talking loudly on her cell phone. I heard everything about her finances, her son's behavior, his personal hygiene habits, her parents financial status and that of her husband's parents.  

Soapbox: please have the proper etiquette to step outside when you are speaking on your cell phone. At least go to an area/corner that is as secluded as can be if you can't go outside. No one wants to hear your conversation. You are disruptive to others. Privacy has gone out the window and I disapprove of public conversations on a cell phone. 

Had to get that off my chest.

Ds agrees that for the next few days mashed potatoes, ice cream, pudding, oatmeal, and chocolate milk are all essential. 

Just read this Tiffany Aching quote, "Being a witch is a man's job. That's why women do it."  :thumbup:

Love the quote! Our boy has now been in the appointment for an hour and 45 minutes. I have a feeling it will be a video day for homeschool. And, yes, about the cell phone conversations!

img_1146.jpg?w=640&h=853

Four shelves of Shakespeare.

Now knee-deep in this project, I feel confident discussing my progress. So. Using this plan, a number of readers are attempting to read all of Shakespeare’s works in 2017. At this writing, I have completed the Sonnets through 18, Venus and Adonis through line 432, and the following plays:

â–  The Taming of the Shrew
â–  The Two Gentlemen of Verona
â–  Henry VI, Part 1
â–  Henry VI, Part 2
â–  Henry VI, Part 3
â–  Richard III

Because the Shakespeare Project of Chicago presented King John (a play for our time, to be sure) in January, I have also read that. Why am I off schedule? Early voting for the consolidated primary begins next week. This, coupled with my other pursuits, requires that I work ahead to keep up.

To complement my reading, I chose Tony Tanner’s Prefaces to Shakespeare. Garber, Bloom, and Van Doren were well exercised during our home education years, so it was time to turn to another resource. That said, I may supplement with a rerun of the Saccio lectures. For the sonnets, I am using Don Paterson’s Reading Shakespeare’s Sonnets and the app that features the filmed performances coupled with Paterson’s comments. (By the way, I purchased the Tanner seven years ago. It has given all of the stockpiled companions around the house hope: “Maybe she will read me next!†Heh, heh, heh.)

The plays
Going forward, I will try to be more methodical about my notes. As I recall, my remarks about Taming centered on how I would direct the final act as if Kate were complicit in the wager. I’ve written about my experience of Gentlemen a few times, including here; my reread was swift. The Henry VI plays were not tedious for me (some find them so) because I read them last year to prepare for the Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Tug of War. (Foreign Fire and Civil Strife covered three plays each: Edward III, Henry V, and Henry VI, Part 1; and Henry VI, Parts 2 and 3, and Richard III. Yes, three plays, one meal, two snacks per event. It. Was. Awesome.) The “read a synopsis or retelling / watch a(t least one) production / listen to an unabridged recording with text in hand / dig into additional resources†approach works well for me, and this go-around, I watched The Hollow Crown, Cycle 2, and read the plays while listening to the Arkangel productions. Margaret interests me greatly; what a role that would be!

Richard III more naturally follows the Henry VI plays than Titus Andronicus (the next play on the plan), so I reread Richard III first. In addition to the CST production in the fall, we saw the Gift Theatre production of Richard III at the Steppenwolf last year. Wow. What a mesmerizing performance. Yes, he rose from his wheelchair and encircled Anne with his walker. Brilliant. (Review here.) Over the weekend, I also watched Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard in The Hollow Crown, Cycle 2. Maybe it was Richard III overload (or Benedict Cumberbatch overload, for that matter), but his Richard lacked the dark wit that usually makes the character such a delicious role.

Speaking of delicious, ahem… ‘gainst my wont, I have begun reading Titus Andronicus, one of the few plays I have not already read and studied, before seeing a production. Amazon Video had nothing, nor was there anything on our shelves, so I await word on my library holds. Spoiler alert: As many folks know, Titus Andronicus is a horror show of a play. Even if you choose to reconcile the violence as purposeful camp, it’s still rough going, especially if, like me, you use the Arkangel recording to complement your reading. You’ve been warned.

The sonnets
It is a reflection of my limitations, obviously, and not the poet’s, but the sonnets, with one exception, hold little appeal for me. The exception is Sonnet 74, which was sent to me with a note that read, in part:

Below is Shakespeare’s Sonnet 74, where the poet addresses his beloved, advising that his spirit will live on after his death in what he leaves behind (his poem) and his spirit in his beloved’s heart. Bold emphasis is mine.

But be contented: when that fell arrest
Without all bail shall carry me away,
My life hath in this line some interest,
Which for memorial still with thee shall stay.
When thou reviewest this, thou dost review
The very part was consecrate to thee:
The earth can have but earth, which is his due;
My spirit is thine, the better part of me:
So then thou hast but lost the dregs of life,
The prey of worms, my body being dead,
The coward conquest of a wretch’s knife,
Too base of thee to be remembered.
The worth of that is that which it contains,
And that is this, and this with thee remains.

This reminds me of the following commonplace book entry from King John:

CARDINAL PANDULPH
You hold too heinous a respect of grief.

CONSTANCE
He talks to me that never had a son.

KING PHILIP
You are as fond of grief as of your child.

CONSTANCE
Grief fills the room up of my absent child,
Lies in his bed, walks up and down with me,
Puts on his pretty looks, repeats his words,
Remembers me of all his gracious parts,
Stuffs out his vacant garments with his form;
Then, have I reason to be fond of grief?
Fare you well: had you such a loss as I,
I could give better comfort than you do.

Yes, I have mentally SCREAMED this:

He talks to me that never had a son.

And this:

Fare you well: had you such a loss as I,
I could give better comfort than you do.

…

Once I finish Titus Andronicus, I will use the rest of this week’s Shakespeare time to read through Sonnet 27.

The long poems
Which leaves Venus and Adonis. While tame by today’s standards, this is certainly naughty Shakespeare. Chuckle. According to my husband, this poem merits my eyebrow face — when my eyebrows rise so high, they all but disappear. My reading / listening, though, has been a powerful reminder that so much of human narrative — perhaps especially Shakespeare — is meant to be heard. I blame the Q Brothers for this, but my imagination’s ear *totally* heard an ad-rap-tation of the poem! My goal, in addition to Sonnets 19 through 27, is to read through Line 576 this week.

• Like 19

Just finished The Nightingale. I'm misty eyed and sitting here trying not to cry and make a fool of myself in front of my hubby. What a wonderful story. More later after I've digested it a bit

Picked this up early this year. Your post has prompted me to move it up the TBR stack.

• Like 11

I've read all the original Dune novels, and all the prequels written by Frank Herbert's son Brian. I've enjoyed them all, but no, I don't think any of the following books in the Dune series are as good as the first one. It was quite amazingly brilliant.

Based on people responding it sounds like the first is definitely the best. I might eventually read a few more, but I think I'll put them at the bottom of the tbr pile for now.

• Like 12

Feel better soon!

I remember when my daughter first got her braces on. This year she finally got them off, and that was a much happier milestone. I hope is appointment goes as well as possible.

• Like 12