Menu

Where should we go on our honeymoon? Madrid...

lisabees

So we always said we'd go to Spain.  Not sure why.  Europe, romantic, good food.  Now that we are about to plan it, we wonder if there is not a more perfect place for us.

We hate the beach.  We prefer mountains and lakes, but that is not necessary for the honeymoon.

For me, I imagine a romantic city or village, filled with GREAT food (total, absolute foodies here) and historic sites and galleries.  I imagine food markets and people-watching.  We honestly just like being together, talking and walking and discovering new corners in new towns. I have actually never been to Europe, so the idea intrigues me.

Last year, we went to Japan.  Best trip ever.

Ideas?  

Edited by lisabees

So we always said we'd go to Spain.  Not sure why.  Europe, romantic, good food.  Now that we are about to plan it, we wonder if there is not a more perfect place for us.

We hate the beach.  We're prefer mountains and lakes, but that is not necessary for the honeymoon.

For me, I imagine a romantic city or village, filled with GREAT food (total, absolute foodies here) and historic sites and galleries.  I imagine food markets and people-watching.  We honestly just like being together, talking and walking and discovering new corners in new towns. I have actually never been to Europe, so the idea intrigues me.

Paris. Romantic, great food, historic sites, galleries, people watching, walks along the Seine. That's what we did for our honeymoon ;)

No mountains/lakes, though.

I liked Paris much more than Madrid which I did not find to have as much character. I did love Granada in Spain. 

• Like 2

I was in Madrid last year. The transit system is great the city has a lot to do and see, and there are a number of great day trips you can take - Segovia, El Escorial, Toledo. We had our kids with us, so we didn't completely adjust too the late dinner hour, but I imagine two adults would not have any issues with that.

We saw Roman ruins, Moorish architecture, and lots of castles. I could easily have spent more than one day at the Prado.

But, I'm sure the rest of Europe is nice too. 😊

• Like 2

I always love Paris, but for something a little different you could try Portugal. There's Lisbon, of course, but then a stone's throw away is Sintra which is totally different. And it continues like that - cosmopolitan, fantastic, ancient, modern, rustic, rugged. Lots of opposing adjectives in a very short period of time. Also great food and very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

I actually mentioned Paris yesterday.  Off to look at it more deeply.

Did you stay in a hotel?  Not sure whether to rent a place or not.

We did  - in the tiniest hotel room I have ever been, with tiny wobbly furniture. We were in graduate school and had no money and did the cheapest week in Paris we could manage ;) We chose the honeymoon instead of a wedding dress.

• Like 4

I always love Paris, but for something a little different you could try Portugal. There's Lisbon, of course, but then a stone's throw away is Sintra which is totally different. And it continues like that - cosmopolitan, fantastic, ancient, modern, rustic, rugged. Lots of opposing adjectives in a very short period of time. Also great food and very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the idea!

We did  - in the tiniest hotel room I have ever been, with tiny wobbly furniture. We were in graduate school and had no money and did the cheapest week in Paris we could manage ;) We chose the honeymoon instead of a wedding dress.

Wedding dress?  Dang.  I gotta find a simple, white sundress.  That means I have to go shopping?  Not a fan!

• Like 2

For romantic, I enjoyed Austria. If you like lakes and mountains, castles and art. I would go there. And the pastry shops.......... :drool5: . Sorry, I thought they were better then French. :leaving:

Another flavor would be Venice. I stayed at a B&B there, very nice. Totally different feel.

ETA: I always wanted to check out a cruise on the Rhine.....

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 3

If you like mountains and lakes then Southern Switzerland is stunning.  Also just over the border in Italy.  

My dh found a deal for 5 nights in paris (flight + hotel) for $1300.  We have a big anniversary coming up,so we are looking for a way to celebrate.

• Like 1

How about the Salzammergut region of Austria?

http://www.austria.info/au/activities/lakes-nature/salzkammergut-lake-district

I'm not positive about the foodie-aspect of that area, as when I traveled there I was poor, lol. But, it's super beautiful (mountains, lakes, adorable villages) and I am sure you can google up info about the food. 

• Like 1

So we always said we'd go to Spain. Not sure why. Europe, romantic, good food. Now that we are about to plan it, we wonder if there is not a more perfect place for us.

We hate the beach. We prefer mountains and lakes, but that is not necessary for the honeymoon.

For me, I imagine a romantic city or village, filled with GREAT food (total, absolute foodies here) and historic sites and galleries. I imagine food markets and people-watching. We honestly just like being together, talking and walking and discovering new corners in new towns. I have actually never been to Europe, so the idea intrigues me.

Last year, we went to Japan. Best trip ever.

Ideas?

Florence, Italy. So many wonderful cities a train ride away (Venice, Milan, Pisa, Rome, and Naples if you want to take short side trip). Florence has gorgeous architecture, tons of history, plenty of unique and interesting art museums and churches, and the people watching is fantastic.

• Like 3

I was not impressed with Paris' food scene, and I sought out some highly recommended restaurants. The food was way overpriced and under-seasoned; I'd had far better meals in the States. If you shop for fresh food (like bread, cheese, fruits, veggies), it's delicious, but my planned sit-down meals were not very good. The desserts were excellent, and the cafes were okay, but the best meal I had on the trip was the Air France plane ride back.

Austria is gorgeous and definitely worth a trip, but I wouldn't call it a foodie destination, unless you like desserts.

• Like 1

For romantic cities with lots to see and incredible food, I would recommend Florence and Venice. They are only about 2 hours apart by train, so you could easily spend a few days in each. You really can't beat Florence for museums and historical sites, and there is the lovely tradition of "la passaggiata," where people enjoy a leisurely evening stroll around the city. And I find Venice to be incredibly romantic and almost otherworldly. It can make you feel like time is suspended and you are almost in another dimension. 

Paris and Madrid are big, cosmopolitan, international cities, so it's more like being in New York but in a different country. Florence and Venice are more intimate and unique and more romantic, IMO.

• Like 3

Florence/Venice and Vienna/Salzburg are both great choices.

I love Spain, but I think Madrid is boring.  I love Andalucia - Sevilla being my favorite city, but I did live there for 6 months, so I know it well.  Granada and Cordoba have some great things to visit, but I've only seen the tourist sites. Barcelona is also wonderful, but very far away from Andalucia.

But if you want mountains and lakes, the former two choices in Italy and Austria are better.  Florence and Venice themselves don't have those, but Venice is near the Dolomites, so you could head up there for those.

Or Switzerland.  That is the Mecca of mountains/lakes.

The most awesome thing about mountains in Europe is that you can hike all day or even take gondolas to the tippy top of snowy mountains covered in glaciers, and there is, without fail, a civilized little cafe where you can sit on a balcony under an umbrella and have coffee and dessert and enjoy the view before you head back down.  I highly recommend Luzern in Switzerland.  So, so, so beautiful, interconnected lakes surrounded by mountains.  And Grindelwald and Zermatt (Matterhorn).  I find the big cities less enchanting than those places (although, yeah, they don't have the galleries...).  

• Like 3

Florence, Italy. So many wonderful cities a train ride away (Venice, Milan, Pisa, Rome, and Naples if you want to take short side trip). Florence has gorgeous architecture, tons of history, plenty of unique and interesting art museums and churches, and the people watching is fantastic.

This was the first place that came to my mind, and I've never even been there! It's number two on my list of places I wish I could visit, right behind London.

• Like 1

DH and I did the big Europe trip (24 days!) for our honeymoon 32 years ago...

We flew into Germany and immediately took a train to Paris.  We stayed 2 nights in Paris then took a train to Austria-- 2 more nights then on to Switzerland.  LOVED Switzerland-- we stayed in Interlaken for a week then Zermat for another 5 days. Our last 5 days were spent back in Germany (Munich area--touring Ludwig's castles!). 

I agree with the previous posters-- if you want beautiful mountains choose Switzerland. 

Our middle dd is in grade school in the UK this year-- we are in the planning stages of a trip there this summer...

• Like 1

I am going to put a plug in for Madrid. Some people have recommended Seville, but for someone who loves art and museums, Madrid will satisfy that and more. Lots of good food everywhere, night life, strolls through historic streets and parks. Also, you can do a lot of day trips if you want to get out of the big city: Toledo, Cuenca, Segovia etc are just an easy short train or coach ride away. I am pretty sure you can get the high speed train (AVE) to some of those as well as Seville and many other destinations.

• Like 1

I loved Madrid.  The art museums are fantastic.  The botanical garden is very nice too.  Nearby is Toledo which was interesting too.  IF you do go there, make sure you go to a cafe and get the hot chocolate in the morning.  It is out of this world if you love chocolate.  It is somewhere between hot chocolate and pudding but words can't express how delicious it was. 

• Like 2

Thank you all!  We spent the weekend checking out your ideas.  

I think we have settled on Barcelona, with some day trips.  I am not sure if I am feeling 100% good about it yet!

We may also split the trip into two destinations.  More discussion on that tonight.

Unfortunately, Italy is not an option for several reasons.

I'll take any more ideas!

Thank you all!  We spent the weekend checking out your ideas.  

I think we have settled on Barcelona, with some day trips.  I am not sure if I am feeling 100% good about it yet!

We may also split the trip into two destinations.  More discussion on that tonight.

Unfortunately, Italy is not an option for several reasons.

I'll take any more ideas!

My husband just got home from a business trip to Barcelona on Saturday. It's the second year in a row he has had the opportunity to go there, and he has enjoyed it both times. He said they serve ham with everything! :)

• Like 1

My husband just got home from a business trip to Barcelona on Saturday. It's the second year in a row he has had the opportunity to go there, and he has enjoyed it both times. He said they serve ham with everything! :)

You should feel 100% good about Barcelona! It is such a gorgeous, interesting city. You're going to love it. :)

Thank you so much!  I am starting to get excited, as I look at food options and the nearby towns and hiking to be explored!

Florence/Venice and Vienna/Salzburg are both great choices.

I love Spain, but I think Madrid is boring.  I love Andalucia - Sevilla being my favorite city, but I did live there for 6 months, so I know it well.  Granada and Cordoba have some great things to visit, but I've only seen the tourist sites. Barcelona is also wonderful, but very far away from Andalucia.

But if you want mountains and lakes, the former two choices in Italy and Austria are better.  Florence and Venice themselves don't have those, but Venice is near the Dolomites, so you could head up there for those.

Or Switzerland.  That is the Mecca of mountains/lakes.

The most awesome thing about mountains in Europe is that you can hike all day or even take gondolas to the tippy top of snowy mountains covered in glaciers, and there is, without fail, a civilized little cafe where you can sit on a balcony under an umbrella and have coffee and dessert and enjoy the view before you head back down.  I highly recommend Luzern in Switzerland.  So, so, so beautiful, interconnected lakes surrounded by mountains.  And Grindelwald and Zermatt (Matterhorn).  I find the big cities less enchanting than those places (although, yeah, they don't have the galleries...).  

My brother lives in Andalucia!!! We were able to visit him a couple of years ago, including Cordoba and Granada in our tour; also Ronda and a couple of other coastal-hill-country towns.

Yes, my brother says pork is the meat of choice in Spain -- whole pig legs in the cafe, with paper thin slices carved off.  They are very proud of their Iberian ham, and eating pork is sort of a holdover from the public declaration of NOT being jewish or muslim in the middle ages.