Menu

Donating curricula to homeschoolers

crazyforlatin

Is there such a place? Last resort for me is Goodwill as I'm not sure if people other than us would appreciate some of our books such as the classical writing books from CAP, All About Spelling, Athenaze. DD won't let me donate any AoPS books. Just trying to clear out shelves so I can get more books.  :tongue_smilie: 

• Like 1

Do you have a local homeschool FB page or yahoo group where you could post what you have and ask if someone knows anyone in a tight financial situation that could use the materials? Or if you have to report to an umbrella school, I would ask the staff there if they know of a family that needs curricula,

Edited by TX native

Do you have a local homeschool FB page or yahoo group where you could post what you have and ask if someone knows anyone in a tight financial situation that could use the materials? Or if you have to report to an umbrella school, I would ask the staff there if they know of a family that needs curricula,

In my experience.. someone will contact the poster, say "I need it" and then will turn around and sell it.   

• Like 2

In my experience.. someone will contact the poster, say "I need it" and then will turn around and sell it.   

In mine, people say they will come and pick it up and not show up.  Or they will send their husbands, who want to stop over at some unGodly hour like 5:30 AM and act like they are doing you a favor.

I hate donating it to thrift stores because I know they will probably just toss it.  I've considered donating it to a specific one, and then sending a list out to all the homeschooling lists around, saying what was donated there.

• Like 4

I often leave a box of books near the entry at co-op and whatever gets taken, gets taken.

If I know of a homeschooler who might be in need or could use whatever I have, I ask them.

We have a thrift store nearby run by a church that has a large number of homeschoolers. I've donated and purchased plenty there, too! 

• Like 3

I made a post on a homeschool group Facebook page a couple years ago...actually left the stuff out on my porch, and made it a first-come, first-serve deal, so I didn't have to deal with numerous inquiries. Got rid of a lot of stuff that way. If I was doing it now, I'd probably list it on our local garage sale page. I also donate to the freebie room of one of our local public programs for homeschoolers.

• Like 1

We do a big event for Save the Frogs Day in April, and I ask all homeschoolers to bring stuff they want to get rid of. People swap and donate to Save the Frogs for materials they take (at a whatever you wish to pay level), and I take everything left to the Friends of the library book sale. Usually there isn't all that much left.

• Like 1

You can sell your Singapore Math standard edition to half price bookstore.

I hate donating it to thrift stores because I know they will probably just toss it. I've considered donating it to a specific one, and then sending a list out to all the homeschooling lists around, saying what was donated there.

Have you tried Parkhoppers since they meet weekly at a local park.

I donated mine to neighbors since we often donate books to one another.

• Like 1

No, I don't want to haul it around bring it there and bring part of it back home.  Park hoppers is a nice group though!

I do have some math, CA version of some schooly textbooks and TE's, very expensive originally.  Maybe I'll send you a list and you can forward it?  I should probably put a list out on BAHFT too.  

I did just ask on a buy nothing facebook list whether anyone wants homeschooling curricula.  We'll see if I get any bites.  I don't mind giving it away, but I'd rather not just toss it--I'd rather give it to someone who wants to use it.

I've listed stuff here for free (buyer pays shipping). I didn't mind running to the post office.

^ I've been the beneficiary of other kind people doing this.  It was wonderful. :001_wub:  I got stuff I needed at a price that worked for my budget.  It truly was an answer to prayer.  

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 4

Goodwill has been a huge source of homeschooling materials for me, so please don't be shy about donating to thrift stores and Goodwill!  Believe me, they don't just toss it, as one of you worried! I have found a few pieces of Abeka there (everything from 3rd Grade Arithmetic Speed Drills to high-quality flashcard sets to high school English Literature), Lifepac (saw that and put it back) lots of 1990's and early 2000s school textbooks (Houghton-Mifflin Mathematics, Spelling and Vocabulary, and some Scott Foresman Science), some TOPS science idea books, DK Eyewitness books and Visual Dictionaries, and loads of geography materials, puzzles, manipulatives, Reproducible resource books, language arts workbooks, phonics materials, you name it, we've found it there over the years.

And since I was able to buy and try for such a low price, when I am done with something I just re-donate it back to Goodwill, knowing someone else will benefit.

So I do hope people keep donating homeschooling supplies to Goodwill!

• Like 4

There's a homeschool book shop about 50 minutes from my house. It's called a curriculum exchange, and works as a consignment shop. Looks like a lady who has a farm built a building on her land. Homeschoolers give her their old stuff, she sells it, and she and the seller each take a cut.

That little building is stuffed with curriculum.

I drop stuff off once a year there and after a few months get a check for a bit of money. It's effortless except for the drive.

• Like 1

I don't even have a problem with that.  Lot of times I'm just too lazy to sell stuff.  There is no easy means to sell stuff and I don't want to deal with ebay and all of that. 

I just announce come and get it if you want it.  If nobody comes I throw it out.  The library doesn't want it (they take donations for their used book store and most of the time what I have doesn't fit their criteria). 

• Like 2

I don't even have a problem with that.  Lot of times I'm just too lazy to sell stuff.  There is no easy means to sell stuff and I don't want to deal with ebay and all of that. 

I just announce come and get it if you want it.  If nobody comes I throw it out.  The library doesn't want it (they take donations for their used book store and most of the time what I have doesn't fit their criteria). 

Yes, that's how I am.   I do haul it to the library and they can do with it as they please - they will take it; some they sell, some they put on the shelves.  I assume whatever doesn't sell goes in the dumpster. 

My post was mainly sort of a cautionary tale for the OP.   It seemed like she wanted to find someone in need and I am not sure that a facebook posting is going to get her that.  

I actually was bothered once by someone taking some hand-me-downs from me, as if she needed the things for her kids.  Later I found she sold them.  I didn't really care what happened to the things, but it bothered me that she led me to believe she could use them herself.  What she really meant was she could use the money they would bring in. Which is fine - but I wished she had been honest about it in the first place, kwim?  I wouldn't have minded her getting the money for them.  I wasn't going to go to the trouble of selling them.  

Anyway, now I donate as best I can and whatever happens to it... it's out of my house.   :-)

• Like 3

I freecycle it. And have met some really cool local homeschoolers that way.

I've given away a ton of curriculum on freecycle.

I don't care if it sits on their shelf, if they use it, pass it along, sell it and use the money for something they need more. It's a gift.