Menu

What was that great treat recipe using saltines?

Oh Sword, what HAVE you done?

I not only opened the thread, I read the other recipes...

Chocolate Mug thingy--mmmmmmm.

I did. And you know what? As it happens, you do not have to refrigerate the stuff first.

You do have to keep from burning the roof of your mouth with the hot sugar,though.

Dawn. You're on my list. :glare:

The one I used calls for a mix of choc and peanut butter chips. I also use the rapid release foil for this. Keep it handy and don't let anyone use that expensive stuff for anything else. Just the important stuff.:001_smile:

BTW, we store ours in the freezer and eat it from there. :tongue_smilie:

Does it work with Ritz?

:::throwing boxes out of pantry, none of which are saltines:::

Does it work with Ritz?

:willy_nilly:

CAN I MAKE IT WITH RITZ???

I made it with part whole wheat saltines.

It will taste more buttery with Ritz.

I think you should take one for the team, make it, and report back here.

We'll wait.

ohhh now that wasn't very nice!! Now I have to make it, then if I make it I"ll have to taste it. If I taste it & like it I have to hide it from the kids.

Did you even give a second thought when you posted this that you were making me LIE to my innocent children!?!?

Cool actually that this was posted. I was just telling dh that I accidentally purchased two costco sized boxes of saltines & the kids opened both. Now I know what to do with them!!!

I made it with part whole wheat saltines.

It will taste more buttery with Ritz.

I think you should take one for the team, make it, and report back here.

We'll wait.

Okay.

Let me get my shoulder pads and helmet on.

I'm going in. Wish me luck.

Should my experimentation meet with a ... less-than-optimal result ... I hope you will all remember my sacrifice.

humming theme to Brian's Song.........

This stuff is just *evil*. I flat out refuse to make it, because once it's available, I have *zero* self-control. Just none. Sometimes students give it to me around Christmas, and I have to find someone else to eat it *immediately*, 'cause if I take a bite, I will eat then entire bag at one go.

Really, lol, I find this stuff more addictive than almost anything else... Salt! Sugar! Fat! Chocolate! It's almost a perfect food... And apparently I don't care at all how bad it makes me feel, lol... :)

My apologies to anyone else that I led down the dark, sugary path...but it was yummy, wasn't it?

Rabbit here.

Reporting in. With respect, sir, to the chow, sir, made with substituted Ritz, sir, I say:

:mellow:

:drool5:

:001_tt1:

:svengo:

That is all.

Goodnight.

Rabbit here.

Reporting in. With respect, sir, to the chow, sir, made with substituted Ritz, sir, I say:

:mellow:

:drool5:

:001_tt1:

:svengo:

That is all.

Goodnight.

:lol::lol: I always make mine with Town House crackers, and I like it better with those than with saltines...I think it's because there's more fat in them. Because with a recipe like this you really need to work hard to get enough fat into it. ;)

And now I hear they can be made with graham crackers...more evil information! Because the only non-graham crackers I have in the house have sesame seeds and flax and stuff...but we have graham crackers...hmm...

I thought my recipe used brown sugar?

it's a good thing i feel like garbage.... or i'd be making them....

My recipe calls for brown sugar and we call it Christmas Crack.

1 box saltine crackers, you won't need the whole box

1-2 cup butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1 cup finely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 350F degrees.

Line a cookie sheet with foil.

Arrange crackers snugly in a single layer, filling the sheet completely, about 40 crackers.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.

Add the brown sugar and mix well.

Pour the butter mixture evenly over crackers, spreading as necessary.

Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the butter is bubbly.

Remove the sheet from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the crackers.

When the chips have softened, spread them over the crackers with a knife.

Sprinkle immediatly with the nuts.

Let the cookies cool before breaking apart.

I tried the original recipe and had difficulty spreading the chocolate chips. Frankly, I made a big mess. It tastes pretty good - but, it looks a bit unappetizing. Is it possible to melt the chocolate in the sugar mixture while it is still in the pan and then pour it all over the crackers? Has anyone tried that? I hate to try it and have it fail since the ingredients are a bit pricey for me. (butter, chocolate).

ahem...well, I didn't have chocolate chips, so I drizzled a little chocolate syrup on them after I took them out of the oven. It was a little more messy, but we were just making them to be devoured. Does it count that it was the vitamin fortified chocolate syrup with calcium?

I tried the original recipe and had difficulty spreading the chocolate chips. Frankly, I made a big mess. It tastes pretty good - but, it looks a bit unappetizing. Is it possible to melt the chocolate in the sugar mixture while it is still in the pan and then pour it all over the crackers? Has anyone tried that? I hate to try it and have it fail since the ingredients are a bit pricey for me. (butter, chocolate).

What I do is sprinkle the chocolate chips on and then put the pan back in the oven for just a minute or two. Once the choc chips are softened up they can be spread with a spatula pretty easily.

My recipe calls for brown sugar, FWIW.

Do you want to take it over the top?

Break up some pretzels and press them, along with some M&Ms into the melted chocolate chips.

But you didn't hear it from me.

:leaving:

You are so Baaaaad!

I'll try it this weekend and let you know what I think.

• 4 weeks later...
In the spirit of COLD (hey, it's like 39 here in Florida right now).

I think it's a good day to make some Christmas Crack :D Anyone care to join me for, um, breakfast? :tongue_smilie:

Hmmm, i don't think i had my butter and sugar cooked enough before i started. Oh well, i'll just have to eat it all instead of sharing it :D

My son made this (purposely did NOT look at any recipe linked here) for Halloween and we handed it out. We used PB and other stuff. It is definitely crack! :)

Good thing we can't get chocolate chips down here. We can get Lunetas (like M&Ms) and NO! STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER! This is INSANITY!

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. I am SO disappointed in you.

(but it is cooooollllldddd (75F) and we neeeed sweeeeets to warm us uuuuuuppppp....)

(i wonder how many miles i'd have to run if i made some of this...)

Saltine Toffee is one of my favorite recipes ever! I got it off these boards from Jill in OK a couple of years ago. How many truly delicious recipes have only *four* ingredients?? And they are fairly inexpensive kitchen staples at that: butter, sugar, chocolate chips, and saltines. I think it's amazing that something so extremely delectable can be made in minutes from just those four things!

Saltine Toffee is one of my favorite recipes ever! I got it off these boards from Jill in OK a couple of years ago. How many truly delicious recipes have only *four* ingredients?? And they are fairly inexpensive kitchen staples at that: butter, sugar, chocolate chips, and saltines. I think it's amazing that something so extremely delectable can be made in minutes from just those four things!

...lies its biggest danger...it's easy to make, and you usually have the stuff around. :-o

I'd rather have a pan of this than a birthday cake. Or even a steak dinner, most of the time, lol.

It's scary how good it is.

I use club crackers in place of the graham crackers in this because I like the salty/sweet. But this is my favorite. We call them coffee crackers at my house because then they are acceptable for breakfast. Right?

20 to 24 club crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°.

Line a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with graham crackers. Bring butter and sugar to rolling boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. When bubbling subsides, add chopped pecans. Spoon over crackers. Bake crackers for 10 minutes. Cool slightly; cut crackers into 1-inch squares.

OK, this thread has to stop popping up in my User CP, because once again, the only crackers I have in the house are whole wheat with all kinds of seasonings and seeds, and that just does not seem like it will work in this recipe. So will you people please quit torturing me already? :toetap05:

(Though, now I'm contemplating making these for our holiday cookie swap in December. Interesting!!!)