Menu

You know the news stories where a car drives right into a house...?

I never thought it would happen to me! Friday morning a pickup truck driven by an 18 yo (no license) who fell asleep went off the road, across a field, across the alley, through my 6 foot wooden fence with steel poles, through my back yard, and in through my French doors into my living room. Unfortunately, the truck didn't quite fit. So it knocked down the part of the wall into my bedroom and punched a hole into the garage. It was very surreal! We thank God that no one, not even the driver, was injured. My dd 12 was sitting in the living room at the time but the glass did not shatter and nothing hit her.

Now we are dealing with insurance and contractors and hotels and all that loveliness. The city doesn't want us sleeping here until further evaluation.

I didn't want to redecorate! The doors and the floor were new. Oh, well--just thankful for our blessings.

I never thought it would happen to me! Friday morning a pickup truck driven by an 18 yo (no license) who fell asleep went off the road, across a field, across the alley, through my 6 foot wooden fence with steel poles, through my back yard, and in through my French doors into my living room. Unfortunately, the truck didn't quite fit. So it knocked down the part of the wall into my bedroom and punched a hole into the garage. It was very surreal! We thank God that no one, not even the driver, was injured. My dd 12 was sitting in the living room at the time but the glass did not shatter and nothing hit her.

Now we are dealing with insurance and contractors and hotels and all that loveliness. The city doesn't want us sleeping here until further evaluation.

I didn't want to redecorate! The doors and the floor were new. Oh, well--just thankful for our blessings.

No. Way! Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry. And I'm so happy everyone is ok.

That must have been surreal! I am glad no one was hurt.

You know the news stories where a car drives right into a house...?

Yep. My DD15, learning how to drive, drove into our neighbor's house this summer. :ohmy: :blushing:

It's a long story, but one with a (relatively) happy ending -- no one was hurt inside the house (they weren't even home) or inside the car (although air bags deployed and the car was totaled), and insurance covered all repairs, 100% (the entire front of the house had to be re-bricked, among other things) ... but we did give the neighbors an additional $1000 as an apology "gift" to cover incidentals.

Yes, it did turn out all right. But, it was scary there, for awhile, because I didn't see how in the world all the repairs on the house were going to be completed for less than our coverage.

Just an FYI, since I see you have a teenager who will be driving soon... make sure your auto insurance coverage for your teen covers property damage, and that you set it to a fairly high limit.

This happened to us when I was a kid! The neighbor's cars would somehow slide or roll down his hill and onto our property--once over the mailbox, once in the yard, and once through the picture window. At that point my father apologized for parking the house wrong, and, after it was remodeled, suggested he try for the kitchen on the next go.

Needless to say, the neighbor moved out soon thereafter.

:D

Susan

When I was pg with dd, we had a lady drive over the front of the Pizza Hut delivery driver's car stopped at the stopsign by our drive, up over our yard and hit the cement steps outside our door. If she had gone 3 feet either way she would have gone through the house. She said her son had started vomiting and she was trying to care for him. It took about 4 years before we stopped being asked about it everytime we ordered pizza.

This happened to us when I was a kid! The neighbor's cars would somehow slide or roll down his hill and onto our property--once over the mailbox, once in the yard, and once through the picture window. At that point my father apologized for parking the house wrong, and, after it was remodeled, suggested he try for the kitchen on the next go.

Needless to say, the neighbor moved out soon thereafter.

:D

Susan

:lol: Sounds like your dad had a great sense of humor. Just glad that no one was hurt.

Someone did something similar at my Dad's - the driver hit the gas instead of the break at the stop sign, ramped over a giant rock in his yard and landed in the foundation just below my Dad's bedroom window.

Before he even got that repaired, his house burned down. His response to that was, "I needed a new roof....":D

DH and I once found a dream house for very cheap on the bay. We could tell the realtor was being pretty cagey about the whole thing. So, I googgled the house. It turns out that since this house was on a winding road on the bay where it's windy quite a lot throughout the winter, THREE people had driven onto the roof of this house. (It sat below street level.)

THREE times. No one ever got hurt but I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to a car on my roof, thankyouverymuch.

Great view of the water. Great beach. GREAT price. Cars randomly appearing on your roof. That's all.

So glad no one got hurt in your incident! I hope insurance covers everything nicely and the driver learns his lesson. No driver's license though?

• 2 weeks later...