Menu

Adulting Children fails - funny

PrincessMommy

I had to share with other moms who would get it.

I babysit my 2 grankids 2x per week.  My 21yr old daughter is home from college for winter break and it's been nice having her here to help me.  She's really been great... but today's episode made me laugh a little:

She offered to take my 23mo.old granddaughter to the library and then go by Dunkin Donuts, which is next to the library,  to pick up coffee and a treat or two for both grandkids.  I spend a little grandma time with my 3yr old grandson.  About 30min in I get a call from my daughter saying, "I'm going to bring C. home and then go back out to get the donuts.  It's really hard taking her places."  :huh:   :laugh: 

Why yes, it is hard to cart toddlers out to run errands.  Try doing it with multiple kids.  :lol:

She is filling my car up with gas while she's getting me donuts, so I'm not complaining. 

• Like 45

I had my oldest call me to see if it mattered which pharmacy she went to when she was picking up a prescription called in by the college medical clinic. 

Hum... what to say. Hum...

Maybe, "No, dearie, it doesn't matter at all. Just go to whichever one you want and ask for drugs. It'll be fine." (Sarcasm intended)

But I told her that yes it did matter. And sent her to the correct one because she gave them *my* phone number.

And then I checked with younger to make sure she understood this small but significant fact. She did. No clue what the oldest was thinking. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 9

My 18ds still lives home while going to college. I noticed he wasn't eating breakfast in the mornings before class and asked him if there was something from the grocery store I could get him for his breakfasts. He wanted some of those frozen breakfast sandwiches, so I got them. After a few weeks, I realized they were barely touched and asked him why. He replied that it was too much work to microwave them twice. (According to the directions, it needed to be defrosted first and then cooked.) I laughed so hard!

• Like 9

My 18yo college student flew back to college this weekend, and I noticed on the cc website (I just happened to be paying bills that day) that he was double charged for his airline ticket.  I told him to call them and get 1 of the charges credited back.  Later that night, he calls back to tell me that he had to wait on hold for like an hour, so he just gave up and hung up.  I sighed and told him he had just gone back to the end of the line and needed to call back.  He couldn't believe that this is what people go through.  Sorry bub.

• Like 14

These are making me laugh so hard.

My 16 year old son works at the same business I do.  He never thinks about his check.  I usually end up getting it for him when I get mine.  And I deposit it in my account and then transfer half to his savings and half to his checking.  He got paid last Friday....but I didn't work Friday so I didn't make the deposit until Monday.  Last night he asked me to buy him something and I said no, use your own money.  He says, 'but mom I have like .50 in my account..'  as he is looking on his phone to see the exact amount.  I already knew there was money there but just waited for him to see it....like a kid in a candy store....LOL.....looks up at me in amazement, 'like magic!  Is that my paycheck?'    A goose I tell ya.

• Like 7

I find that adult children who have not yet had children tend to be the most critical of others' parenting styles...

...at least that's how it was when I was an adult without any children! :tongue_smilie:

Yes.  My oldest was saying something to me one about how I was handling his much younger brother.  I put my hand up and said, simply, "Son, if I needed your help raising children, you wouldn't be here to give it to me."

In our case it wasn't a big issue, but I do know families who have had serious problems with adult children undermining the parents authority with the younger children.

• Like 7

I find that adult children who have not yet had children tend to be the most critical of others' parenting styles...

...at least that's how it was when I was an adult without any children! :tongue_smilie:

In my twenties, I sat with a coworker in our communal lunchroom.  We'd have loooong discussions about how to raise kids.  I used to cite how in Amish churches, the kids would sit on wooden benches, quietly listening for hours and hours and if the Amish could do it, then what the heck was wrong with everyone else?

I have no clue where I got the idea that Amish kids sat on benches for hours.  I don't know if they do that or not, but I was sure of it back then.

Our coworkers would wander through the lunchroom to heat up their food and eat it and we'd catch some raised eyebrows when they overheard our smug conversations, but we were confident.

Then my son was born.  With ADHD.  All I can say is thank goodness we're not Amish.  My son wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in an Amish church.  :)

• Like 15

When DS26 was in high school he misspelled his middle name when he applied for a voter registration card.  I have tried to get the people at the polls to keep him from voting, but no luck... :glare:

Neither one of my boys know their address. 

And dss had been spelling the town wrong (where his mom lives) for about 4 years when I noticed it.  I thought he had just written it wrong.....but no he was convinced he was right.  He was 14 so not quite an adult.

• Like 6

dd28 and ds25's girlfriend offered to do the dishes after Christmas Dinner, which I greatly appreciated. They noticed we were running low on dish soap and asked if I had another bottle. I explained that I use dilute Dr. Bronners and told them the bottle was under the sink and you only use a little bit of soap and a lot of water--the instructions are on the bottle if you look close enough.

The dishes didn't feel very clean when I went to put them away the next morning and they smelled funny.

The girls followed my instructions except that they used Murphy's Oil Soap instead of Dr. Bronner's.

My firstborn son's father was adamant that he didn't want any Juniors and it's not my fault that he just happened to sort of kind of have a name I had always wanted to use for a son--think I had always loved the name "Thomas" and then I married a Tom or that I had always loved the name John and then married a Jack.

We worked it out by the birth, but ds never learned how to spell his name so when he was twelve, he swiped his father's.

Fortunately I don't have any grandchildren yet.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 5

dd28 and ds25's girlfriend offered to do the dishes after Christmas Dinner, which I greatly appreciated. They noticed we were running low on dish soap and asked if I had another bottle. I explained that I use dilute Dr. Bronners and told them the bottle was under the sink and you only use a little bit of soap and a lot of water--the instructions are on the bottle if you look close enough.

The dishes didn't feel very clean when I went to put them away the next morning and they smelled funny.

The girls followed my instructions except that they used Murphy's Oil Soap instead of Dr. Bronner's.

:ohmy:  :lol: 

• Like 2

Well, I'm going to give my oldest props. He gave me the BEST advice to get my teen daughter to listen and do her chores. (She's a good noodle for the most part)

He told me take away her phone!!! Lol I don't know why I hadn't thought of that, but it worked! :)

• Like 6

dudeling (aspie, hard since the day he was born), was born when 1dd and 2dd were at college.  1dd graduated, and moved home.  1dd commented he was so long because he needed to be surrounded by adults.

2dd . . . who is magic with kids ... was still at school, and would tell us what we needed to do.   1dd and my reactions were like: :mellow:  :rofl: 

then she moved  briefly moved home after she graduated :willy_nilly:.   she wanted a lock on her bedroom door, and would come up with ways to avoid him.  :smilielol5:   seems, he didn't respond the way she predicted he should respond.  gee, imagine that. . .  :001_tt2: 

I remember being so annoyed with my 2-3year old nieces that I said I was never having kids.

I have a niece who, as a teen, said she was never having kids. in her 20s, she seemed to have the same attitude, though it was clear her dh wanted them. she showed up at a family even six months pg after being married for 10+ years.  it was the biggest deal of that event.  more so than the niece who announced she was pg with twins.

another woman I've known since she was a teen (even more strongly anti-child than my niece) - announced to a large roomful of people "hell has frozen over, I'm pg." considering they had used ivf, it was very planned.  (yes, she made sure everyone knew that too.)

• Like 3

Neither one of my boys know their address. 

And dss had been spelling the town wrong (where his mom lives) for about 4 years when I noticed it.  I thought he had just written it wrong.....but no he was convinced he was right.  He was 14 so not quite an adult.

I spent a year in high school as an exchange student. This was before the internet of course, so I wrote lots of letters home. Halfway through the year, I suddenly realized that I had been misspelling my mom and step-dad's last name on every letter home. They had been married for a couple of years at that point. I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO SPELL MY OWN MOTHER'S NAME. And they never said a word about it.

• Like 9

Well, I'm going to give my oldest props. He gave me the BEST advice to get my teen daughter to listen and do her chores. (She's a good noodle for the most part)

He told me take away her phone!!! Lol I don't know why I hadn't thought of that, but it worked! :)

YOU'RE SO MEAN!!!!!!!  

:lol:

• Like 3

I spent a year in high school as an exchange student. This was before the internet of course, so I wrote lots of letters home. Halfway through the year, I suddenly realized that I had been misspelling my mom and step-dad's last name on every letter home. They had been married for a couple of years at that point. I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO SPELL MY OWN MOTHER'S NAME. And they never said a word about it.

Oh, the other day I called a man about a house he has for sale.  His wife answered and said she would have him call me back.  I gave her the wrong number.  Yep, the cell phone number I've had for 25 years somehow left my brain.  As in say my last 4 digits is 3055.  I said 3005.  The weird thing is as I was giving it to her it felt 'wrong' but I dismissed it. About 4 hours later he had not returned my call and it hit me what I had done.  I had to call back and explain my fool self.  He said he had been calling me for hours.  :eek:

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 4

Oh, the other day I called a man about a house he has for sale.  His wife answered and said she would have him call me back.  I gave her the wrong number.  Yep, the cell phone number I've had for 25 years somehow left my brain.  As in say my last 4 digits is 3055.  I said 3005.  The weird thing is as I was giving it to her it felt 'wrong' but I dismissed it. About 4 hours later he had not returned my call and it hit me what I had done.  I had to call back and explain my fool self.  He said he had been calling me for hours.  :eek:

:laugh:   Poor guy!

Maybe subconsciously you don't really want the house! 

• Like 3

My brother got married last spring. He was 27. It was like comedy of errors. He put off getting a marriage license until the day before and my dad was sure something was going to go wrong (it didn't, but for a moment we weren't sure if he'd need his birth cert., which was two states away). He bought a new suit and left it hanging in the car for several days. My mom had been after him to pull it out so it wouldn't get further crumpled. About 2 hours before the wedding he finally brought it in so she could iron it. She asked where his shirt was and he produced a brand new one still in the package. Then it was discovered that he'd bought a different color jacket and pants. They literally had to run to the mall and buy him another suit about 90 minutes before he got married. :D

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 6

My brother got married last spring. He was 27. It was like comedy of errors. He put off getting a marriage license until the day before and my dad was sure something was going to go wrong (it didn't, but for a moment we weren't sure if he'd need his birth cert., which was two states away). He bought a new suit and left it hanging in the car for several days. My mom had been after him to pull it out so it wouldn't get further crumpled. About 2 hours before the wedding he finally brought it in so she could iron it. She asked where his shirt was and he produced a brand new one still in the package. Then it was discovered that he'd bought a different color jacket and pants. They literally had to run to the mall and buy him another suit about 90 minutes before he got married. :D

Oh, wow. You just gave me a glimpse into my future.  I have a son who will be like this for sure!   :glare:

Edited by Chelle in MO
  • Like 5

My 17dd just wrote a thank you email to an admissions officer at a college who interviewed her and showed us around. In the glowing email, she referenced the WRONG COLLEGE. The college she wrote is not even one she is applying to.  :blink:

Thank goodness I proofread before she sent it. 

• Like 8

My 17dd just wrote a thank you email to an admissions officer at a college who interviewed her and showed us around. In the glowing email, she referenced the WRONG COLLEGE. The college she wrote is not even one she is applying to. :blink:

Thank goodness I proofread before she sent it.

When we went to a college visit, the admissions officer was giving tips for applying. One he pointed out was: "And by the way, the mascot is 'The Terps'. Don't write a glowing essay about how you can't wait to be a Blue Devil or something! You would not think people do this, but it happens every single year."

• Like 3