Menu

soup recipes please

HollyDay

I have never mastered the art of good soup.  I can make a decent chicken noodle but I'm gluten free.  BTW, I've tried gluten free noodles in the soup and I don't like the texture.

So, with the holidays almost behind us and the winter stretching ahead of us, I'd like to make some really good soup.  I'd love some recipes!!!

Also, dd is allergic to onions and basil. 

Gluten-free here too. Soups I make frequently:

Lentil/sausage/spinach soup (recipe varies, I just google one when I need it)

Zuppa Toscana

Hot and Sour soup

Cauliflower Chowder (from Damn Delicious)

Baked Potato Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Baked Bean Soup (not great without onions, IMO)

Other than the chowder, I can't remember where the other recipes came from. Oops.

I used to make homemade tomato soup and pizza soup, but they really need onions and basil, and I can't have tomatoes anyway.

FWIW, I made chicken noodle last night. I used rice ramen (Lotus Foods brand, bought it at Costco) and the texture is fine. Very similar to Campbell's. DS8 just ate leftovers and the noodles held together well.

Edited: I have my cookbook out and was looking for soup recipes for today and tomorrow. I don't feel like doing heavy cooking and love to put on a soup and let it simmer.

Edited again: I'm GF, too. :)

--

I just found a great soup recipe: Chicken taco soup

1.5 pound cooked chicken (I used leftovers from the previous night's baked whole chicken.)

2 cans of drained, rinsed beans (I used 1 can each organic dark red and black beans).

1 container chicken stock (I used organic, low salt)

1 28 oz can of mild enchilada sauce

1 packet taco mix ( gluten free)

gluten free white corn tortillas

Mexican style cheese

I put the first 5 ingredients into a dutch oven and let it simmer for 45 mins. I then topped it the white corn tortillas (cut into bite sized pieces) and a bit of Mexican cheese.

We liked it.

--

Hamburger soup

2.5 # ground beef

1 onion, diced

2 stalks celery, diced (I do't like celery so I used a bit of celery seed)

1 can (14.5 oz) whole tomatoes (I don't like tomatoes so I used one small can of tomato paste)

3 cups beef stock

1 12 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables

5 red potatoes, cubed

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 tsps dried parsley

1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

In large dutch oven, begin to brown burger, when 75% done add onion and saute until burger is thoroughly cooked. Drain

Add all remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18-20 mins or until vegetables are tender.

This can be made without onions.  I just add a bit (and I mean just a little bit) of red or green pepper when I omit the onion.

Gluten Free Corn Chowder

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 small onion, finely diced

1/4 sweet rice flour 

3 cups milk, warmed

2-3 cups chicken stock (reduced sodium)

2 cups frozen corn (I like sweet corn niblets)

2 cups (about 2 medium potatoes), peeled and diced

1/2 tsp thme

salt to taste

black pepper to tastes

1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)

Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, until tender.

Use a whisk to add in flour. The flour will coat the onions and be very dry. Whisking constantly, cook for 3 mins. In a slow and steady stream, add milk. Allow the paste to absorb the milk as you add it. This will prevent clumping. Stir in the chicken stock, corn potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper.

Bring to a gentle boil. Lower heat to medium-low  or low and simmer for 45 mins.

Put about 2 cups of soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot and stir. Add hot sauce if using. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.

I don't know how this would taste without the onion.

Edited by Scoutermom

Is it onions only, or the whole allium family?  If it's just onions:

Clean and chop five or so leeks.  Sweat them gently in butter until they become translucent.  Add an equal number of large potatoes, thinly sliced.  Cover with good chicken stock/broth and bring to a simmer.  Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the potatoes are soft.  You can blend it if you like, but I like it as is.  It's very good with grated cheese mixed in.

1 part V8 or other tomato cocktail (I use my CSA farmer's and it is so good!) and chx stock, heat and add seasoning to taste and then some heavy cream. 

Start with the tomato/stock base, add chipotle chili powder (or chilies in adobo), poultry seasoning and cumin, rotisserie chx, black beans and veggies of your choice. Serve with tortilla chips, avocado, cilantro.

Italian sausage soup. Brown sausage, casings removed, in a stock pot, add some garlic. Stir in 1 Qt. beef stock, 1 can of tomatoes, 1 C chopped carrots, S &P. Simmer 15 mins. Add in 1-2 cans white beans (Rinsed and drained. I like Navy beans.) and 2 small zucchini, chopped. Cover and simmer 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 C. spinach. Adjust seasonings to taste.

IMO, the key to good soup is good stock. Homemade is easy and inexpensive to make in the crock pot. 

Edited by ScoutTN

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/

Check out this site. Ms. Harris wrote a book titled "Ladled," and it has some very good recipes.

I am sure many are still on her blog in the recipe section.

I would start with basic chicken stock:

Get some chicken bones (either whole carcass or thigh/drumstick). Cover with water and add a little Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar. Let sit for about 45 min - 1 hour. Then bring to boil and add carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf, garlic, ginger (really any veggie you have on hand) and let the stock simmer for 12 hours.

Discard all the veggies (or feed to dog :)) and strain the stock into a container and refrigerate.

Beef stock is made the same way with beef bones.

Bone broth / chicken or beef stock is the base for many good soups.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13062/cheeseburger-soup-i/

This is my favorite soup to make right now. I double the beef, hold the potatoes, increase the veg amounts and sub half the cheddar for Velveeta to make it smoother.

This is a favorite at our house too. I take it a lot to families when I deliver meals, and hear even kids who usually don't like soup like Cheeseburger Soup.

Pioneer Woman's Italian Chicken Soup is a good one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/italian-chicken-soup.html

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/

You can substitute rice for pasta in any noodle soup. I make mulligatawny soup a lot, which is nearly the same as chicken noodle - saute veggies, stir in some curry powder, add broth, chopped chicken, and some rice, and cook until rice is done. Add some cream at the end to make it delicious.

We also like ham & white bean or ham & lentil soup.

What about butternut squash soup? I just found a recipe that uses coconut milk, and I'm going to try that soon.

• Like 1

I like soups, but dh doesn't, mostly because it's not filling enough. Do you usually make a huge pot and everyone eats 3 or 4 bowls or do you serve the soup with something else on the side?

Ther are several recipes I'd love to try! Thank you for posting the recipes!

Beans or lentils make soups more filling.  Adding grated cheese helps too if he's used to a fattier/umami taste.

I like soups, but dh doesn't, mostly because it's not filling enough. Do you usually make a huge pot and everyone eats 3 or 4 bowls or do you serve the soup with something else on the side?

Ther are several recipes I'd love to try! Thank you for posting the recipes!

We usually have cornbread (Krusteaz honey cornbread mix is fabulous if you're in a hurry) or some kind of crusty bread, rolls or biscuits to go with most soups. And if possible some fruit for dessert.

I love making soup but would also like some more good recipes. Some that I make fairly regularly:

- Giada's lentil soup

- pioneer woman's creamy tomato soup

- pioneer woman's tortilla soup

I was puttering around on her website and came across this:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chicken-and-dressing-sheet-pan-supper/

Where she says that this is the perfect opportunity to use a half stick of butter and that the Land o' Lakes product is perfect for when you only need half a stick.  When exactly would that be? That you'd ONLY need half a stick?  I'm not sure I can trust this woman anymore.

:lol: :lol:

Beans or lentils make soups more filling.  Adding grated cheese helps too if he's used to a fattier/umami taste.

He loves cheese, so I'll add some to the soup. I like beans, in part because I can decrease the amount of meat. However, if I didn't decrease the meat and still added beans, it would help fill him up better. Thanks for the suggestions!

We usually have cornbread (Krusteaz honey cornbread mix is fabulous if you're in a hurry) or some kind of crusty bread, rolls or biscuits to go with most soups. And if possible some fruit for dessert.

Fruit for dessert is a good idea. Our HEB has good rolls I've served with soup, but I'll look for other crusty rolls, too. Thanks!

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

(adapted from "30 Delicious Soup Recipes You Should Try," by Linda Hall)

Ingredients:

1 head cauliflower

2 cups chicken broth

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup diced ham

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup milk

1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire

salt & pepper to taste

8 deli slices Muenster cheese (We substitute Havarti.)

1/4 cup heavy cream (Optional: See "Tips" below.)

Directions:

1. Boil cauliflower in chicken broth for about 30 minutes or until tender. (Don't bother chopping the cauliflower -- it will collapse as you stir it with other ingredients.)

2. Sautee garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add Worchestershire and diced ham.

3. In a small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons cornstarch into milk until dissolved. Stir into ham mixture. Heat until it begins to bubble. Add all into cauliflower and broth.

4. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add seasonings and cheese.

5. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until warm and cheese is melted.

6. Serve with warm rolls or bread of choice.

Tips:

. To thicken, add heavy cream 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency.

. For thinner soup, add more chicken broth 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency.

Edited by Ailina