Menu

IF we get another dog...breed? UPDATE #142

ktgrok

Some kind of staffy or boxer? I know Staffies have a reputation for aggression issues but all the ones I have ever known have been calm laid back dogs and they are short hair non shedders. They do tend to smell a bit in the heat.

You can get short haired borders but then if you are looking for something less intense a border may not be what you are after anyway.

Staffie/pit is very much a possibility. Working in vet medicine they were a favorite. High pain tolerance, usually friendly with strangers, etc. And they are VERY common in rescue here. My biggest down side is that my mother will flip out, if it isn't at least a mix. When I was little our neighbor bred and fought pits, so she has bad memories with that. But most vet people I know love them, and most of my vet tech friends have them :)

• Like 3

If I were looking for an "old soul" dog I'd take a good look at beagles and hound mixes of all sorts. Also IME the lab (or golden) and pit mixes that seem to be calling to you often fit that description. I wouldn't be considering boxers, poodles or anything with livestock guardian breeds in the mix (I don't believe those should be kept as pets ever). Another thought is -- Greyhounds. They're large but don't shed a ton and are known as 40 mph couch potatoes. But they have a high rate of cancer, too. Most Greyhound rescues are very good about finding the right fit for a family. I don't know in general how well they tend to do with babies and toddlers, though.

I love greyhounds, but my kids would be too much for one. They like a quieter lifestyle than I can provide :)

• Like 1

I'm answering the underlying question(s) which weren't given a question mark...

No way would I add a new dog at the same time as a newborn. Remember the sleepless nights? Imagine just getting back to sleep and then having the puppy need to go out again. Etc etc

I'd probably wait a year or two (or three or four until the kid is old enough to be trained to be nice to the doggy).

I know you weren't actively seeking opinions on this, but there it is.

Well, the idea is either we do it before baby comes, so past the getting up during the night to go potty phase (I generally can housebreak dogs very quickly...I'm intense about it). I would NOT ever consider having a new born and housebreaking a new puppy at the same time. Mostly because I need to be mobile to housebreak the puppy.

So either before baby comes (aka, soon) or not until baby is say, 2 years old. The problem with waiting that long is that my oldest dog is showing signs she may not still be around then. And the other dog, our brain damaged (literally) border collie really can't be an only dog. He doesn't know how to be a dog, really....he needs a buddy to go outside with him, etc or he can't figure out what to do. I'm not exaggerating. (he was found on the side of the road unconscious at about 6 weeks old...we suspect head injury but could have been poison, distemper, etc...but head injury is the best bet. He had seizures every 2 hours for 2 days straight, then was blind for another day, then could finally learn to walk, but only go in circles for the first several weeks, etc. He's made a great recovery but is not normal.) He also would be terrible as far as socializing a new puppy, etc. Again, he doesn't know how to be a dog, so he can't teach any doggy manners, etc. The older dog can, and has great doggy manners. So although we weren't really thinking about getting another dog now, the idea is that it maybe better to get one before baby comes, and have it grow up around the baby and learn how to dog from the oldest one, rather than end up in a situation where we have to scramble to get a dog quickly because the old one died, the younger one can't function on his own, and we have a toddle in the mix. 

I'd much rather have a baby and a young dog than a toddler and a young dog. 

• Like 2

I do know where you are coming from. If it helps, I've adopted or taken in a dog with every pregnancy. Not sure why that keeps happening?  In many ways, the dogs keep me sane when I'm dealing with a young baby. I'm very much a dog person, and having that other "thing" in my life helps. I'm also a former trainer (went through my CPDT certification, went to conferences, ran classes and private lessons, etc) and worked in the veterinary field for 20 years, fostering several times. I do know it's a lot of work...and I also know my limits which is why I am not looking for say, a weimaraner or border collie or another working intense breed. And would have to be very careful in temperament selection. 

I work for a dog rescue. We get a lot of owner turn-in dogs because having a dog is too much additional work when the family has very young children and/or a lot of outside activities from which the dog is necessarily excluded. It is very common that families cannot handle having both a dog and a newborn. (There are other reasons for owners to turn their dogs over to a rescue -- this is just the reason that is in first place.)

From the dog's point of view, at least until we find it a great home, this is a terrible situation. They are very stressed because they have lost their families and cannot understand what is going on. The families are also very upset. It takes a rescue dog about 6 months to adjust its new situation ... regardless of whether it appears to the new owners that the dog has adjusted immediately.

True, a lot of families keep the dog in this situation, and it results in there being a lot of lonely, bored, untrained dogs who have owners who feel guilty about that or who are too overwhelmed to change the situation or who don't care about their dog all that much. It is a double-edged sword. I know a lot of families (and dogs) in this situation.

I advise you to wait to get a dog until your children are older. I know this is difficult. I waited until my kids were 7 years old before we got a dog, simply because I didn't think it would be advantageous to the dog or to me to add one to the mix. (I do realize that since my kids are close in age that my wait was shorter than it could have been.)

My thoughts on this are based solely on what I've seen happen in nearly 3 years of working for the largest rescue in the U.S. for my breed. It is heart-breaking to deal with families that have made the mistake of adding a dog to their family at an inappropriate time. These families love their dogs, but there is a limit to the time and energy they have to devote to their dog. Everyone has time and energy limits, whether or not they have a dog or kids.

I am not someone who castigates people for giving up their dogs to rescue. We always find great homes for the dogs ... but it would have been better for the families and the dogs not have been in that situation in the first place.

The other issue with older versus puppy, is getting an older dog while having a toddler in the house seems a bit risky. Mind you, I've gotten an adult dog when pregnant (weird situation....a relief vet worked in the clinic with me one day while my boss was out of town, found out I had a weimaraner, and it turned out she was fostering one, because her neighbor had died. I ended up taking the sweet thing, who thought she was a lab or a hound, very laid back, etc. Perfect dog, except what i wasn't told at first was that while her owner was sick for 2 years in bed with bone cancer, the dog was by her side 24/7. Then the other weim was giving away. Then the owner died, and Rosie was taken by the son, who kept her crated 13-18 hours a day, on her own, after never being away from her person for years. Perfect storm to create terrible separation anxiety. we medicated and trained and consulted experts and didn't leave her alone for months, and got her stable. I literally hired dog sitters to stay with her while I went to childbirth classes, lol. She did okay for years, and then my other weim got cancer and had to be put down. I think losing her doggy friend triggered something, reminding her of the sequence of events that she'd been through before, and she lost her mind. We also suspected the onset of doggy dementia, which made it worse. We again did meds, adopted another doggy friend, did all the training again, etc, but it was hopeless. I had to leave her sometimes, and she broke through multiple windows. (and when animal control picked her up she managed to unlock one of the locks on her kennel at the shelter, lol). We finally, reluctantly, crated her after giving her lots of sedatives on top of her anti depressants  and I came home to find she'd chewed through the crate and pulled out her own teeth when they got stuck in the plastic. I doped her up on pain pills and sedatives for the night, then had her put down the next day. Just typing this has me crying.It was terrible...the fear she  must have felt to cause that level of damage. Anyway, not sure why I shared that...but I think honestly, we are looking for a puppy/young dog this time around. 

I realize that scenario is unlikely to happen again, but I don't know that I trust bringing an adult dog into a house with a toddler. And going without another dog, once my oldest dies, won't be feasible due to the special needs of the other dog. 

Edited by ktgrok

The other issue with older versus puppy, is getting an older dog while having a toddler in the house seems a bit risky. Mind you, I've gotten an adult dog when pregnant (weird situation....a relief vet worked in the clinic with me one day while my boss was out of town, found out I had a weimaraner, and it turned out she was fostering one, because her neighbor had died. I ended up taking the sweet thing, who thought she was a lab or a hound, very laid back, etc. Perfect dog, except what i wasn't told at first was that while her owner was sick for 2 years in bed with bone cancer, the dog was by her side 24/7. Then the other weim was giving away. Then the owner died, and Rosie was taken by the son, who kept her crated 13-18 hours a day, on her own, after never being away from her person for years. Perfect storm to create terrible separation anxiety. we medicated and trained and consulted experts and didn't leave her alone for months, and got her stable. I literally hired dog sitters to stay with her while I went to childbirth classes, lol. She did okay for years, and then my other weim got cancer and had to be put down. I think losing her doggy friend triggered something, reminding her of the sequence of events that she'd been through before, and she lost her mind. We also suspected the onset of doggy dementia, which made it worse. We again did meds, adopted another doggy friend, did all the training again, etc, but it was hopeless. I had to leave her sometimes, and she broke through multiple windows. (and when animal control picked her up she managed to unlock one of the locks on her kennel at the shelter, lol). We finally, reluctantly, crated her after giving her lots of sedatives on top of her anti depressants  and I came home to find she'd chewed through the crate and pulled out her own teeth when they got stuck in the plastic. I doped her up on pain pills and sedatives for the night, then had her put down the next day. Just typing this has me crying.It was terrible...the fear she  must have felt to cause that level of damage. Anyway, not sure why I shared that...but I think honestly, we are looking for a puppy/young dog this time around. 

I realize that scenario is unlikely to happen again, but I don't know that I trust bringing an adult dog into a house with a toddler. And going without another dog, once my oldest dies, won't be feasible due to the special needs of the other dog. 

That is so awful. Thank you for showing compassion to that doggie. 

• Like 1

That is so awful. Thank you for showing compassion to that doggie. 

Thanks. She was such a sweet, sweet dog. Somewhere I have a photo of her wearing my bra on her face, lol, because my toddler at the time (now 17 years old) put it on her. He also used her to learn to stand, by holding onto her. She was the sweetest, happiest, most loving dog. She loved everyone. But she could unlock and open windows, break out of anything, and was unable to be left alone. So sad. but she had 5 years with us, good years, before all that came back again. 

• Like 2

I actually do like standard poodles. But nervous in any breed won't work. I need more the calm, old soul type dog for this phase of life I think. Which is so not my norm, lol. 

I had a super calm standard poodle that came from a shelter. She died suddenly at only 10, and I got a goldendoodle, who is highly trainable, calm with family, but gets way over excited with strangers. Our other dog is a pit/lab mix (probably). He was a stray that was dumped near us. He ran the neighborhood for a couple of months before we finally adopted him. He is the most laid back guy, and is actually a lot smarter/easier to train than I expect, but these would definitely be case by case.

This thread is making me so sad!  I miss my Brittany so much.  I love the breed but she needed a lot of exercise when young.  And I wish we had done a better job of training her....if she ever got free she ran like the wind.  She only came home when she was totally exhausted.  

Interesting she was highly tolerant of kids....ds was 4 when we got her at 12 weeks.  My friend got her litter mate, another female who was very nervous her entire life. So you just never know about temperament.

• Like 1

Ok, I have to vent now. Why on EARTH do all the dog breed quizzes keep saying a Viszla is good with kids????????? I mean, they are sweet, but SO hyper. No one with small kids has the time to give that kind of dog what they need. What a horrid suggestion!

We have a Viszla mix. She loves playing outside and running around, but she's pretty calm inside. She tends to be anxious, though, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. She's sooo sweet  :)

I had a super calm standard poodle that came from a shelter. She died suddenly at only 10, and I got a goldendoodle, who is highly trainable, calm with family, but gets way over excited with strangers. Our other dog is a pit/lab mix (probably). He was a stray that was dumped near us. He ran the neighborhood for a couple of months before we finally adopted him. He is the most laid back guy, and is actually a lot smarter/easier to train than I expect, but these would definitely be case by case.

We had a boxer/pit mix. Mostly boxer.  I loved that dog too although most of his life he lived outside.  He was very protective of his yard, but while walking him he would sniff at cats and keep on walking.  Very weird.  I was pregnant with ds when we had to put him down so I am not sure how he would have been around kids.....I think ok.  

Ok, I have to vent now. Why on EARTH do all the dog breed quizzes keep saying a Viszla is good with kids????????? I mean, they are sweet, but SO hyper. No one with small kids has the time to give that kind of dog what they need. What a horrid suggestion!

I'm pretty sure I've played around with just about every dog breed quiz available and IMO they vary from very bad to horrible.

Dd got a 1yo rescue dog, which they said was a lab/doberman mix. She is not a real large dog, but not small--has the racer dog build. She is quite sweet, never barks, fully housebroken. She needs a lot of attention, and does shed a good bit of her short hair. She has surprised me at how easily she settled in. A good pup.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi! I've worked with dogs for years as a pet sitter and vet tech. A well trained corgi has always been the most agreeable dog in my opinion. Only downside is the fur but if you brush them regularly the hair isn't too bad.

I really love a lot of breeds but since finally getting to own my own corgi I'm not sure I'll ever be able to have another breed.

My DF has two and they do not win the agreeable award. After these two pass, she says she will never own another corgi again. I will not ever watch those two again.

We recently got a English bulldog/pug aka the mini bulldog from a rescue. He is a puppy but he likes it play and nap. While I will always want another giant breed, he really fits where we are in life right now. We also have two dachshunds that are wonderful.

Hubby loves bull dogs, but here in florida, with the humidity, their skin folds get infected constantly. It's a real nightmare. 

Another thought- what about a golden doodle since you like the golden retriever. I have worked with a few and great dogs.

Well, I ADORE the golden doodle my friend got. She's SO amazingly good for a puppy! But.....cost is $1,500 from a breeder and they aren't really in rescue that I'm finding. Not sure DH would go for that, and not sure I want to either, honestly. 

Also, some shed as badly as a golden, no way to know until they are older. 

Edited by ktgrok

I've had two different boxers (one female, one male) at the same time as babies/toddlers and they were both amazing with them. Calm, gentle, would never, ever dream of snapping or nipping. Boxers are just such sweet dogs. My experience is that once you give them some good play time, they're ready to doze and be couch potatoes for a good stretch (very unlike my little herding breed girl!). The only problem I see with boxers being around young ones is that they seem to not know they're big dogs, meaning accidentally bumping or running into/over toddlers toddling around. Re cancer, my girl did have a couple of small skin growths removed at a young age, which were cancerous, but removal was all that was needed. She lived to be a month shy of 14 years old. :) So far, my boy hasn't had any of the skin growths, thankfully!

• Like 1

Chesapeake Bay Retriever! We have hit the dog jackpot with our Chessie. We got her from the Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue group and they think she may be mixed with lab, but it doesn't matter to us. She is seriously the best dog ever! Well, she does pull on her leash, but beside that she is sooooooo mellow, so well-behaved, everyone who meets her loves her. She is super polite, and seems to be the perfect balance of affectionate but not needy. If we had the space, I would have more Chessies.

Also, their rescue group, which has branches all over the US do a fantastic job of evaluating their dogs and making sure that the families and dogs are good matches. We told them we were looking for a dog good with kids, cats, and strangers given our family/living dynamics. Maggie was being fostered in a home with 5 kids, one other dog and a cat. They knew her temperament and it was such a great experience.  

• Like 1

every doodle I've met has either been incredibly dumb or incredibly hyper or both. 

& I say this as the besotted owner of a slightly dim & very hyper setter. I know some people have been happy with theirs but honestly, it seems like a crapshoot to me &  if I were thinking that route I'd go for a standard poodle (from a reputable breeder or rescue of course...)

Also, the doodle inventor regrets it. 

• Like 2

every doodle I've met has either been incredibly dumb or incredibly hyper or both.

& I say this as the besotted owner of a slightly dim & very hyper setter. I know some people have been happy with theirs but honestly, it seems like a crapshoot to me & if I were thinking that route I'd go for a standard poodle (from a reputable breeder or rescue of course...)

That was very interesting.

& I say this as the besotted owner of a slightly dim & very hyper setter. I know some people have been happy with theirs but honestly, it seems like a crapshoot to me &  if I were thinking that route I'd go for a standard poodle (from a reputable breeder or rescue of course...)

Strange that a lab/golden poodle cross would be dumb... aren't labs, goldens, and poodles all considered to be among the intelligent breeds?  I would assume any cross of those breeds would inherit the intelligence of the parents...

I felt the same way until I met this puppy. She's smart as a whip, and yet so mellow (for a puppy...so energetic, but not hyper crazy). Honestly, I had no idea they could be that way. But yes, most were hyper. 

Strange that a lab/golden poodle cross would be dumb... aren't labs, goldens, and poodles all considered to be among the intelligent breeds?  I would assume any cross of those breeds would inherit the intelligence of the parents...

yeah, you'd think so & yet is doesn't always work that way.  For one thing there's a lot of argument about what constitutes intelligence in dogs. What many people call intelligence is actually more linked to biddability, ie, how keen are they to follow your instructions. for ex northern dogs (I have a malamute mix) are notoriously independent thinkers. They're super smart but not in a way that most people appreciate. 

Poodles are pranksters and since they were originally hunting dogs, can be quite independent. Labs & goldens too - it really depends. And the biggest problem with most doodle breeders is since they're breeding mutts, they often are more concerned with appearance than temperament.  

I think with many of the doodles they're so hyper that they can't keep a thought in their head long enough to learn. They also have little impulse control... like hyped up preschoolers on a sugar bender. 

bottom line is  - it's a mutt.  An over priced mutt.  I'm opposed to deliberate breeding of mutss on principle so this definitely biases me ....

• Like 2

Xoloitzcuintli

That breed is not the sort you want, but I just wanted to share the interesting breed name I found.  Imagine trying to explain to your neighbors your dog's breed!

I had a friend who had a huge dog, that had black curly (short) hair.  She was smart, and pretty chill.  She sort of gave the watchful vibe of a rottie, without the "I might eat you" demeanor.  I can't remember what she was, though.  Looked sort of like a water dog, or a Russian black terrier, without all the floppy face hair.  I do think it was a Russian breed, but I've read through a lot of lists and can't come up with it.  

ETA: The Xolo...etc...breed actually claims to be a lot of what you mention.  It does say they tend to be wary of strangers, which gives me serious pause.  I don't want a dog that is extra hard to socialize.  Anyone, probably could never find one, but I still think the name is neat!

yeah, you'd think so & yet is doesn't always work that way.  For one thing there's a lot of argument about what constitutes intelligence in dogs. What many people call intelligence is actually more linked to biddability, ie, how keen are they to follow your instructions. for ex northern dogs (I have a malamute mix) are notoriously independent thinkers. They're super smart but not in a way that most people appreciate. 

Poodles are pranksters and since they were originally hunting dogs, can be quite independent. Labs & goldens too - it really depends. And the biggest problem with most doodle breeders is since they're breeding mutts, they often are more concerned with appearance than temperament.  

I think with many of the doodles they're so hyper that they can't keep a thought in their head long enough to learn. They also have little impulse control... like hyped up preschoolers on a sugar bender. 

bottom line is  - it's a mutt.  An over priced mutt.  I'm opposed to deliberate breeding of mutss on principle so this definitely biases me ....

I get the idea of different types of intelligence in dogs. We have two bichon/poodle crosses and they're both fairly intelligent, but in different ways.  The female isn't  particularly interested in pleasing her people and has a little stubborn streak.  She's a problem-solver, though, and can figure out how to get past baby gates and up onto the kitchen counter when there are no chairs/stools in reach. Some might think she's dumb because she seems a bit slower to obey commands. The male is a huge people pleaser and, even though he CAN get over gates and up onto tables (he's a keen jumper), he doesn't even try because he understands that we don't want him to "go beyond the barrier" (even when food is on the other side... and he's a big foodie). He is quick to obey and learn new commands, and so he's a clear favorite among the humans here.

We had a corgi who, I SWEAR, needed only one repetition to learn any command or behavior (and got into a LOT of trouble).  He was manipulative and smarter than a dog should be (IMNSHO).  Heh. It's too bad he used his brains for evil...  He was ADORABLE though and every human who passed him on walks looked at him adoringly. (I think it went to his head.)

• Like 3

That's exactly how the ones I'd known before acted. But seriously, this one I saw this week...it was VERY much like the ideal golden retriever puppy, but with curls. Happy, sweet, not pushy, smart, calm....seriously, I actually asked for the breeder info just because I've never ever seen one like this. And my friend said all her dogs are like that (meaning the breeder's dogs). She must very much breed for temperament. So if I could get one from that particular breeder, I'd do it. But I won't, lol. 

Of course, my friend is not as much a dog person as I am, and is struggling a bit with having a puppy and three kids....maybe she'll just sell her to me cheap, lol. 

It was funny, she's complaining how hard the puppy is and then I met it and I was like, honey...this is the world's easiest puppy. If you can't hack this one, you can't do a puppy. At one point, it was barking in it's little crate while we were making Christmas cookies and we just tossed a blanket over the crate and it went right to sleep. 

As someone that has survived weimaraner puppyhood, I was amazed, lol. 

And yes, biddability is what I'm looking for this time around. Not smarts. Heck, super smart dogs are HARD!!! And I say that as someone that one day would LOVE to get a Malinois. But not until I have an empty nest and the time to dedicate to a "project dog". 

• Like 3

We have had an Airedale as well. Awesome dog. They are a bit more independent - I like a dog who wants to cuddle and she would rather sit near you and watch for bad guys! We lived on 6 acres and had animals at the time - worked out wonderfully. She was loyal to the end. On the last day of her life, she followed the boys as far as she could to the barn and sat and watched for them to return. It was terribly sad. Awesome dog! Never worried about safety with her on the job. Excellent with kids! Non shedding. Smarter than smart.

• Like 1

So mellow personality at least as an adult, kid friendly, medium to large, and low shedding doesn't seem to be a thing. (I'd hoped it was just my pregnancy brain fart but no, there really aren't many/any). Now I'm wondering if DH would settle for a dog that sheds, but sheds a color that matches his clothes, lol. 

Our current dogs shed white and tan, and then there is the orange cat. Dh wears mostly black/grey/dark colors. Maybe a black lab would at least blend in, lol?

• Like 1

We have a one year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever now. She's much better with the kids, including the baby, than I thought she would be, and the hair isn't bad either.  She does seem to have about two sheds a year when she loses aa ton of fur, but the rest of the time it isn't bad, much less than a lab.

The personality is a lot different than a lab in some ways - she's more of a one family dog, and is quite suspicious of strangers.  She's more sensitive than a lab, too, and more scent oriented though I don't know if that is typical.  But she's bright, so far, and quite trainable.

My favorite dog is still the pit/boxer cross I had (proportions unknown.)  He was so gentle and patient with kids and puppies.

• Like 1

His complaints seem a little weird to me - aside from the warning that not all are hypoallergenic, it pretty much seems to be, people get them because they are trendy, without doing the research to know what they are really getting or if it will fit their needs.

Which you could equally saw about Dalmations, JR Terriers, and every other breed that has some kind of surge in popularity, and a heck of a lot of people buy purebred dogs for all the wrong reasons.

I think in the end, getting any dog requires realizing that it may not grow up like you expect. 

• Like 2

You would not want any of the herding dogs, because a puppy now will mean a grown up dog with his or her herding instincts kicking in when your baby is a toddler, which can mean nipping, etc. as they try to herd baby. As a former trainer, probably you can manage that, but I wouldn't want to. And if you have to narrow down, might as well use that as a criteria.

I agree with this completely!  We have a German bred German Shepherd and the herding/prey drive is intense sometimes.  My kids were older, 8&9 years old when we got him.  He would nip them and chase after theme like crazy because of the herding instinct.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

So, I think I give up. I did alert my friend/former coworker who does foster for a rescue to keep an eye out for me, but I'm not hopeful. 

Basically, what we want right now  - mellow,easy to train, good with kids, etc would = sheds. Or giant breed, which we don't have room for. We are going to be a family of 6 living in 1,500 sq feet and already have 2 large dogs and 2 cats. And my husband can't take more shedding. And even if we get past that, the best dog for our situation right now would be one from a reputable breeder, and i'm certainly not going to talk him into spending $1,000-1,500 on a creature that adds more hair to our house. Not when we have other expenses coming up with the new baby, etc. 

But I do think I've decided that we may be at a point in our lives that when we do add a dog, it will be from a breeder, which is not our usual MO. But with young kids, toddlers, chaos, etc I think a well bred labrador (NOT from field lines) is probably what we are looking for. Or a golden. But at least a black lab would match my husband's dress slacks and socks, lol. 

But I just don't see it happening right now. Maybe i'm wrong, we will see. 

(and part of the issue with going with a rescue is I know too much. I know how important early socialization and experiences are, as well as genetics. My current lab/pit/shepherd mix was born at a shelter, and although we did EVERYTHING right with her, she STILL had major issues as an adolescent and ended up on prozac for more than a year. Her mother was possibly aggressive...the shelter didn't discuss her much, other than she was very protective of the puppies. Which means my dog's first experiences were of her mother dog growling at humans. Plus, a shelter environment for those early weeks of life. I had only one child then, who was 6, and was able to handle it. And now she's a great dog. But i don't have the energy or the safety to take on a "project dog" for the next many years. I need to stack the deck in my favor for this time in my life.)

But lab rescues in parts of the US get tons of very stable adult dogs where you already know what you're getting. 

I've checked the local ones, and only lab mixes that look to be lacking the qualities I'm after, or very very senior dogs, which doesn't really address my needs right now. My whole issue is I have a senior dog I need to have a "back up" for. (which sounds very cold and heartless, but I don't know how else to say it, lol). Oh, or they aren't good with kids or cats. Lots say no cats :(

I also am not positive my older girl would be as welcoming to an adult strange dog as she is with a puppy. She HAS adapted to an older dog coming in once before though. 

But I am still checking. 

I do worry even with a rescue that has been checked and fostered....most although they have been exposed to kids might not have been around toddlers. Of course, with a real bomb proof lab, that probably isn't an issue. 

(again..too much knowledge is a bad thing. Did I mention that the only dog I know of that actually put a baby in the hospital was a lab? That damn dog had to have had a brain tumor or something..it was scary as heck. It had attacked their small shih thus repeatedly, for no reason...like rage syndrome almost. Nearly killed them. Then the couple had a baby, and we BEGGED them to put the dog down or at least rheum it.They ignored us. Baby was a few months old when it ended up in the hospital with a skull fracture and needing plastic surgery because the dog attacked it. THEN they put it down, and told the news and everyone else that there was "no warning" that the dog was dangerous. Ugh. Anyway, I just am so super cautious about dogs and young children..sigh.)

Edited by ktgrok

And in case anyone wants to correct me, the breeds that consistently come up as good with kids that are also mellow are mainly labradors (show style, aka English style, not field lines  - many/most of the ones in the south are field lines and way too active for what we are looking for), Golden Retrievers, English Bulldogs, and Newfoundlands. 

Newfies in Florida...plus SO much hair and shedding, plus huge dog in a small house with soon to be 6 people, two other dogs, and a cat. 

Goldens - shedding, of a color that doesn't match our furniture or clothes, lol. And hard to find in rescue...they actually have waiting lists. 

English Bulldog - health issues. SO many health issues. Skin infections, snoring, heat stroke in Florida, etc. (although my husband loves the look). Maybe I'm overthinking this?

Labrador - shedding, but maybe a black one to match DH's clothes might work...but again, don't want the hyper field type which is most of what I'm finding in rescue. 

Pitt bull mix. They are so sweet-tempered and usually very short haired. One nice thing about them is that they look intimidating so they "look" like they are a guard dog. My sister has two. They are wonderful with the 5, 6 and 9 year old. 

We have a hound mix. She is red tick coonhound in color and look, but she's not full blooded. She's about 50 lbs and also a really great temperament for with kiddos. Drawback is she loves to bay at other dogs and people passing by her house. She's loud, but man, I love her to death. She is such a people oriented dog. 

post-80078-0-10824700-1481657108_thumb.jpg

She's actually a little bit bigger than she looks. About lab sized, but thinner. 

post-80078-0-10824700-1481657108_thumb.jpg

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 2

Pitt bull mix. They are so sweet-tempered and usually very short haired. One nice thing about them is that they look intimidating so they "look" like they are a guard dog. My sister has two. They are wonderful with the 5, 6 and 9 year old. 

We have a hound mix. She is red tick coonhound in color and look, but she's not full blooded. She's about 50 lbs and also a really great temperament for with kiddos. Drawback is she loves to bay at other dogs and people passing by her house. She's loud, but man, I love her to death. 

We actually have a pit bull mix now. And I'm not ruling one out, but I'm just hesitant to get a dog with an unknown background. Also a bit worried as we may be moving in the next year, and I worry about breed restrictions with homeowners insurance. (mine also sheds like CRAZY...but that's the lab and shepherd ancestry, sigh)

One thing to keep in mind with labs is their exercise requirements.  Our labs and lab mixes have all needed tons of exercise, especially in their younger years, or they will just bounce off the walls.  

We live on 50 acres with two large fenced yards for the dogs, so in addition to walking them,  I can send them out to the yard to chase each other and play to wear off energy.  I imagine if we lived in town, it would really be a pain to have to walk them all the time or take them to a dog park, especially if I had young kids.  

One thing to keep in mind with labs is their exercise requirements.  Our labs and lab mixes have all needed tons of exercise, especially in their younger years, or they will just bounce off the walls.  

We live on 50 acres with two large fenced yards for the dogs, so in addition to walking them,  I can send them out to the yard to chase each other and play to wear off energy.  I imagine if we lived in town, it would really be a pain to have to walk them all the time or take them to a dog park, especially if I had young kids.  

We do have a fenced yard, and two other dogs to play with, plus kids that like to throw balls for dogs :)

But, if we go lab, I'm looking for the more mellow version. There seem to be two types of labs...the field type that can run for days and not get winded, and the more show type, with the blockier body and more mellow attitude towards life. 

We do have a fenced yard, and two other dogs to play with, plus kids that like to throw balls for dogs :)

But, if we go lab, I'm looking for the more mellow version. There seem to be two types of labs...the field type that can run for days and not get winded, and the more show type, with the blockier body and more mellow attitude towards life. 

We have a blocky black lab.  He is a very mellow couch potato now that he's seven years old, but in his younger years, he was full of energy.  He's the only one of our dogs who has ever scaled the 6' fence in our back yard - not to run away, but because he wanted to go say hi to my husband who was plowing the driveway.  :001_smile: I love labs (and lab mixes, because we have two of those) - they are just the sweetest things! 

There are also people who breed labs for ctually hunting, and they may be more mellow than dogs bred for field trials.

We lucked into a rescue of what I now believe to be the best dog breed ever imagined. We could not have been luckier. The breed info on petfinder said gordon setter, the breed info from the rescue said Burnese mountain dog, the vet thought GSD mix, but no, a fancier of this breed saw us on the street, ran up to us and asked if we knew what we had. I said "a mutt?". He replied, "No you have the best dog in the world."  Quite rare in the US, the hovawart is shaped a lot like a golden without the shedding problem. They come in black, golden, and black and gold. They are very handsome, home oriented dogs, love children, love other dogs, are intelligent, and very, very calm in the house. Our dog is fun loving and joyful without being wild. The only minus (and some would think this good) is that he has an incredibly deep bark. It is startling. There are a few breeders of this dog in the US.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hovawart.htm

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 4