Menu

What to make for bake sale? (Peanut/nut free)

Raifta

Help!  DD's choir requires all families to contribute 3 dozen home made dainties/cookies to their bake sale held on the night of their winter concert.  The items need to be nut/peanut free but aside from that no other guidelines.

I don't suck at baking but I rarely bake and when I do it's the most basic of cookies.  These seem too boring for a bake sale.

So, what sorts of things seem bake sale appropriate and not too finicky?  I am not good with making things pretty with decorations so the actual recipe needs to have some sort of wow factor (until my kids were much older, they thought the most exciting thing about their birthday cake was that they got to choose between square and rectangular - after a while we moved up to some kind of plain frosting just spread over the cake as well).

TIA!

Snickerdoodles are one of my easy go-tos.  Instead of rolling the dough in cinnamon sugar, add the cinnamon to the dough itself, and then roll the cookie in holiday colored sugar. 

ETA: Cake pops and Oreo truffle balls are hugely popular, and are pretty easy to make.

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

Sugar cookie with a chocolate center.

Take a drop sugar cookie recipe like maybe this one - you want one that doesn't need rolling out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/allrecipes.com/recipe/9870/easy-sugar-cookies/amp/?client=safari

Make small balls of dough. Wrap a Hershey's kiss into the center of the dough ball. Sprinkle with colored sugar if you want or leave plain and bake.

I've seen these sprinkled with a little powdered

Sugar after baking too. Definite wow factor. To have a sugar cookie with a chocolate center.

If you aren't afraid of rolled cookies, pinwheels are easy. Sugar cookie dough, divide in half and color half the dough. Chill and then roll out into flat rectangles. stack the rectangles and roll up the long edge. Slice into thin cookies and bake. You get a fancy spiral without much work.

Apologies for typos - I'm on my phone today.

Sometimes the most basic cookies are what people like most: brownies, choc chip or sugar cookies. You could jazz it up by decorating the brownie squares with icing stars or trees. Or cut them into triangles and decorate like Xmas trees. Choc chip cookies using mini m&m's instead of regular choc chips. Or just the red and green m&m's.

• Like 1

This guideline makes me crazy. CRAZY

It's well meaning..well intentioned..blah blah...but if my kid had a nut allergy or if I had a nut allergy, I would not trust baked goods from people's homes. Nope. So that guideline is pointless. And I'd say so.

I totally agree, with one exception...let's say the kids are selling them. I have a friend who's son is so highly allergic that residue on bags would affect him. Yes, he should wear gloves. But for that level, I'm fine without nuts.

But yeah, a serious allergy and eating from a bake sale, that's sketchy!!

• Like 1

I totally agree, with one exception...let's say the kids are selling them. I have a friend who's son is so highly allergic that residue on bags would affect him. Yes, he should wear gloves. But for that level, I'm fine without nuts.

In order to make them truly nut free you also have to make sure every item you buy is labeled as being nut free.  You also need to make sure you clean all of your equipment thoroughly at home if you ever use any item containing nuts or possibly containing nuts. 

I bet no person who knows anything about nut allergies would actually suggest such a thing.  Our choir group used to ask people to make nut free things.  So then one of the organizers asked someone in the group (with a kid who had a nut allergy) if this was helpful.  She said she appreciates the gesture, but her kid can't eat the stuff.

• Like 1

If your kid was that highly allergic, would you trust a bunch of strangers to make baked goods nut free and have him stand there and handle the stuff at a bake sale?  No way would I do that. 

• Like 1

Mint Chocolate crinkles. Sorry, I don't have time to link a recipe for you. When I come back home tonight I can try to link one. The version I use has you use mint chocolate chips and to melt half and add half to the batter. It isn't a super quick cookie to make, but not overly complicated.  You mix the batter, chill, roll into balls in powdered sugar and bake.  The rolling is a bit sticky, but not hard to do. 

They look great in the winter.

In order to make them truly nut free you also have to make sure every item you buy is labeled as being nut free.  You also need to make sure you clean all of your equipment thoroughly at home if you ever use any item containing nuts or possibly containing nuts. 

I bet no person who knows anything about nut allergies would actually suggest such a thing.  Our choir group used to ask people to make nut free things.  So then one of the organizers asked someone in the group (with a kid who had a nut allergy) if this was helpful.  She said she appreciates the gesture, but her kid can't eat the stuff.

For my child is isn't so he can eat the stuff it is so he can be in the room with the stuff.  His allergy to almonds is that severe.  So I do appreciate things like that even if other parents with nut allergies have different comfort levels.  We do a baked goods auction in scouts every year and request all items be nut free.  We don't buy stuff from the auction to eat at home because we don't know about cross contamination, but at least my DS won't go into anaphylaxis if someone decides to open up their treat they bought and eat it in the room.  Last year parents didn't listen and DS had to leave the meeting and missed out on his last big party in Cub Scouts.  It made him feel pretty hurt.

To the OP, as far as peanut/nut free snacks.I think easy things like brownies and rice crispy treats sell well.  You can add festive sprinkles to either.

For my child is isn't so he can eat the stuff it is so he can be in the room with the stuff.  His allergy to almonds is that severe.  So I do appreciate things like that even if other parents with nut allergies have different comfort levels.  We do a baked goods auction in scouts every year and request all items be nut free.  We don't buy stuff from the auction to eat at home because we don't know about cross contamination, but at least my DS won't go into anaphylaxis if someone decides to open up their treat they bought and eat it in the room.  Last year parents didn't listen and DS had to leave the meeting and missed out on his last big party in Cub Scouts.  It made him feel pretty hurt.

To the OP, as far as peanut/nut free snacks.I think easy things like brownies and rice crispy treats sell well.  You can add festive sprinkles to either.

And I'd be so uncomfortable with this limitation at a bake sale that I would not bake something myself.  I'd buy something packaged or just not bring something.  I can't guarantee stuff to be nut free and I'd feel terrible if something happened.

• Like 1

If your kid was that highly allergic, would you trust a bunch of strangers to make baked goods nut free and have him stand there and handle the stuff at a bake sale?  No way would I do that. 

I definitely wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't let my kids eat anything from a bake sale either and they're not allergic to anything; I can't get past the gross issue of eating things from people I know zero about!

I would hand the fundraiser person $50 and call it a day. 

In regards to the nut allergy issue....

Having the items nut free isn't so that people with allergies can eat them, it is to reduce the chance of incidental exposure.  Less airborne allergens and less chance for it on a door knob, arm rest etc.   Things like peanut brittle can cause problems for someone standing next to them etc.

Yes, anyone can walk in with nut residue on them and accidentally rub it on any surface, but by asking that items are nut free, it reduces the chance of exposure. 

Very unlikely to have exposure.  Definitely a bit more restrictive than necessary.  But a kind gesture none the less. 

I know a family who really don't attend any event with food, solely due to the chance of incidental exposure.  Unfortunately for them, they miss out on a lot. I don't know if they would attend an event that is supposed to be nut free or not.  My guess is yes, but the mom would definitely be scoping out the food for potential problems before they stuck around. 

• Like 2

Rice Krispie treats with Christmas sprinkles mixed in? There are lots of cute Christmas Rice Krispie ideas out there.

This. We recently had a bake sale for our band. Someone brought Rice Krispie treats made with red, green, and uncolored cereal. They were festive and very popular with the kids.

Something else I found helpful was some people who prepackaged their treats so it was easy to sell them. The Rice Krispie treats were wrapped in plastic wrap; some of the other cookies were in Ziploc baggies.

I made chocolate crinkle cookies and ginger cookies. Very quick and easy to make and didn't make a mess. 

Help!  DD's choir requires all families to contribute 3 dozen home made dainties/cookies to their bake sale held on the night of their winter concert.  The items need to be nut/peanut free but aside from that no other guidelines.

I don't suck at baking but I rarely bake and when I do it's the most basic of cookies.  These seem too boring for a bake sale.

So, what sorts of things seem bake sale appropriate and not too finicky?  I am not good with making things pretty with decorations so the actual recipe needs to have some sort of wow factor (until my kids were much older, they thought the most exciting thing about their birthday cake was that they got to choose between square and rectangular - after a while we moved up to some kind of plain frosting just spread over the cake as well).

TIA!

Brownies always go well at Bake Sales

I usually do the rice crispy treats for bake sales because they are so quick and easy. If you want something "pretty", maybe try meringue cookies. They are quick to make up but do take some time to bake depending on the recipie. They can be sprinkled with colored sugar before baking to make the looked more Christmasy. I like them best with a Hershey Kiss inside but chocolate is often contaminated with nut.

Edited by City Mouse

7layerbars  (or however many layers)

stick of butter - melt it in a 9x13 pan

pkg of graham crackers, finely pulverized.  add to the melted butter and evenly spread it out

evenly sprinkle :

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup butter scotch chips

1 cup coconut

evenly drizzle on top

1 can sweetened condensed milk.

bake  at 350 for approx 25 minutes.

left out nuts. I do vary ingredients, but along those lines.  super easy,

I agree with Rice Krispy treats. I just made some for a bake sale, actually, and delivered them today. I used the holiday version of the cereal, which has red and green pieces mixed in with the regular. I don't know if you can find the colored kind at your store, but look at the ends of the aisles where they stock specialty Christmas items.

If you can't find the red and green kind, you can mix regular Rice Krispys with Fruity Pebbles for a colorful look. Or use half regular and half Cocoa Krispies for a chocolatey version.

My go to holiday cookie is 'Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies. 

These are like a snickerdoodle but with more flavor-- soft and chewy with a lovely crinkle top and super easy to make.

I made these for a cookie exchange last year-- and while they are not 'showy'-- I was asked over and over again for the recipe-- they were a BIG hit!

Here is the link to my favorite recipe for them... in fact I've got butter setting out right now and will be making a double batch  today so I can mail cookies to family members on Monday!  My house is gonna smell awesome!!

To be honest I'd probably go for the dye-free Rice Krispies if I was buying, but I'd eat either kind. I am a sucker for homemade RK treats. The store bought ones are gross to me.

A well-made Snickerdoodle is a treat to me. Of course everyone's idea of what is well made varies. Some like soft cookies, some like crispy.

I was going to suggest pumpkin bars or even brownies, but you said cookies. Basic chocolate chip cookie that isn't going to break my teeth is fine with me lol. In other words, simple is fine so long as it's yummy. Dh makes some really good oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies. I can't figure out how to search for profiles on allrecipes.com to find the exact recipes but I know the choc. chip cookies have vanilla pudding mix in them.

I agree that the guideline is strange is some ways.  DH is allergic to nuts and other things and we would never buy something at a bake sale and expect him to eat it regardless of how it was labelled.  I guess the only minor consolation is that the kids won't be asking if it's safe to kiss daddy after they try some of the baking from this bake sale.  And, like Tap said, this way any of the kids/adults attending the concert who might have serious allergies will be less worried about accidental exposure.

Be that as it may, I'm going to bake something.

I like Oreo Truffle Balls!  That looks like something I can do that also looks fancy.

And some Rice Krispie treats.

We might try Brownies with some crushed candycanes on top.  (Although I will avoid DD's favourite Brownie recipe "Never Fail Brownies" which she keeps on making and keeps on proving a disaster.)

And now I have some ideas for baking for our family next week too!

Guess I need to make my way to the grocery store.