• Wyoming
    • Other North America
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • Australia/Oceania
    • My place is not on this list.

Obviously, this is US dominant (poll), but there are other continent options at the end.  I used as many responses as I could.  I wish I could divide up more world-wide.

Curiosity has remained with me after the "region" poll.

All answers are anonymous, of course.  The goal is to try to "see" our general locations, not anyone specific unless one cares to share.

Let me know if I missed anything or spelled anything incorrectly.  It's morning and my attention has been a bit divided - or - let me just admit I'm human!

I can't add any more areas though.  I've maxed out options.  I could fix spelling.

• Like 1

Asia is a really, really big category. But there's not much you can do about it on this poll.

:iagree:  It would have been really neat if I could have broken it down a lot more - not just Asia, but Europe, Oceania, Canada, etc - places where I know we have Boardies.  I was limited and opted not to combine states, so only continents fit afterward.

Another time (as I have to get outside now before rain comes) perhaps someone can do major countries and just use the US as one entry.  That would be cool to look at.  One can have 57 options (since the last one of each question has to be "not on this list" in order for people to vote).  If anyone has the time to do this - feel free.  I'm curious.  I don't have to create the poll to satisfy my curiosity.

• Like 2

I am still in CA, that's where I was during the last poll as well. :laugh: :laugh:  Last I looked there were four of us - we are a rare breed.

Only two so far in PA, but I know I've met (IRL) more than two of us just in my area, so I'm thinking there are many who still need to vote (if they want to join the poll).  I kept it 100% anonymous (so there's no tracking) hoping to appeal to as many as possible.

• Like 2

We're sleeping in, because of the lovely PA weather!

That lovely weather (and not being at work) is WHY I'm on the board more.  It beats cleaning the house.   :lol:

I need to go out Christmas shopping, but hubby and I do that together, so it's probably happening tomorrow as he needs to work out in the field (engineering) today.

I might work on Christmas cards... and/or grocery shopping.  (sigh)  How long until spring?

At the moment, TX (8) and MI (7) are leading.  I'm not sure I'd have guessed TBH. 

That doesn't surprise me at all.  I think we (TX) have the largest homeschool population in the country.  They don't even know how many of us there are, because we don't have to register with anyone.

• Like 1

I'm thinking 20 more weeks this go 'round. Fingers crossed.

You're probably right.  If things go as planned, at least we'll be skipping four of them.  However, with needing to be farther north for family issues quite a bit in the near future, we'll probably have more than twenty.  Can't win.  Snowbirding from Jan - March is looking awfully enticing.

That doesn't surprise me at all.  I think we (TX) have the largest homeschool population in the country.  They don't even know how many of us there are, because we don't have to register with anyone.

It's currently 12 for TX and 8 each for MI and GA (8 for Australia/Oceania too).

Populations of each (rounded) are:

TX - 27 million

MI -  10 million

GA - 10 million

A/O - 38 million with Aust/NZ being 28 million of that

Source = google

This means of the 4 places, the highest nod should actually go to MI and GA.

I don't have time to do all the others, but might do some after more folks have had time to vote and we see who the "leaders" continue to be.  It's hardly scientific... just interesting to see where we draw from.  I love the wide variety TBH.  Many places are represented.

• Like 1

That doesn't surprise me at all. I think we (TX) have the largest homeschool population in the country. They don't even know how many of us there are, because we don't have to register with anyone.

Michigan is the same. It lead the charge in homeschooling and requires no registration, tests, etc. We have a huge homeschooling population but the actual total is unknown.

• Like 1

I am still in CA, that's where I was during the last poll as well. :laugh: :laugh: Last I looked there were four of us - we are a rare breed.

There is five now. There are more than five WTMers in SF Bay Area alone. Another cluster in Monterey county, and in LA/SD.

People aren't voting yet, maybe busy decorating their lawn. We saw many decorated lawns last night on the way home.

• Like 3

There is five now. There are more than five WTMers in SF Bay Area alone. Another cluster in Monterey county, and in LA/SD.

People aren't voting yet, maybe busy decorating their lawn. We saw many decorated lawns last night on the way home.

I am in San Diego, and I know at least three other boardies just in SD. But, I didn't vote until just now because I thought it was the same poll as before (which I had already voted in). Perhaps others are thinking it is the same poll.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

Hawaii, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, South America, & Africa residents... where are you?  Your area needs you!

TX (17), GA, and VA (both 11) are still leading...

PA, I know we have more than 6... but at least I'm not alone with my representation at this point.

This is fascinating. I love the make-up of this board.

When I was a kid, I'm sure I could not imagine there would be a way I could communicate daily - and even in real time - with people ALL over the world. It is absolutely amazing!

• Like 6

This is fascinating. I love the make-up of this board.

When I was a kid, I'm sure I could not imagine there would be a way I could communicate daily - and even in real time - with people ALL over the world. It is absolutely amazing!

I love this too - it's kept me here years after I've finished homeschooling.  The depth and variety of knowledge/experience on this board is pretty darn helpful with that "Learn Something New Every Day" goal.  One can't really get that in my IRL circles.  There's a bit of knowledge, but not nearly as wide and deep on so many topics.

• Like 5

It says I am not eligible to vote until I have at least one post.  I guess the last 5 years of posting do not count.

Or... maybe you're from a state I don't like.   :lol:

More seriously, that's why I need the last option for each question.  This polling system requires an answer from everyone for each question or it gets miffed.  

• Like 1

I am fairly sure there are more than 2 of us in AL.  And I really think there probably is someone in Hawaii, Wi and some of the other states that have no one.  And of course, Lanny hasn't marked South America and Hannah hasn't marked Africa.

We're up to 221 voters, so are gradually getting a few more.  It's the Christmas season so I imagine most of us have limited time on the Hive due to extra busyness.  I know I do.  I suspect I miss a fair number of threads I'd otherwise look at.

I have wondered if the Dakotas are represented at all.  I know when I've looked at college demographics, the Dakotas are often two states missing from schools that usually have representatives from most states.  It's an interesting comparison.  The other states I feel certain have members here - somewhere.

• Like 1

Another thing I've noticed about Texas homeschoolers...all the homeschoolers I've met here have been strict, school-at-home types.  So, I would expect a number of them surfing here (no offense WTM peeps).  I wonder if specific areas of the country have more of a certain type of homeschooler.  (And that sounds weirdly negative, but I can't think of a different way to word it at 6:00 in the morning.)

• Like 1

Another thing I've noticed about Texas homeschoolers...all the homeschoolers I've met here have been strict, school-at-home types. So, I would expect a number of them surfing here (no offense WTM peeps). I wonder if specific areas of the country have more of a certain type of homeschooler. (And that sounds weirdly negative, but I can't think of a different way to word it at 6:00 in the morning.)

Very true. I know a lot of homeschoolers and when I mention WTM the response is, "What's that?" I know of no other classical education homeschoolers IRL outside of this board, and according to my UPS driver Alpha Omega is the number one curriculum delivery he makes. We have talked about it since I get a ton of amazon books. He laughs about this house being a default county library.

The estimate, by percentage of populaton of school age children, for Michigan homeschooling is higher than any other state because it is so ridiculously easy here and was where the state supreme court battle took place that drove the movement with many Michigan colleges being among the first to accept homeschool graduates, but this state does not appear to be a classical education strong hold.

I know some former Michigan boardies who are still homeschooling but the kids are older and playing serious competitive sports like rowing, soccer, swimming, and gymnastics with lots of traveling involved so not hanging out here anymore.

• Like 1