Menu

Math: an informal poll

Another Lynn

1) Which elementary math curriculum do you think is most rigorous?

2) Which elementary math curriculum seems to be cheapest?

3) Which elemenatry math curriculum do you think is easiest to teach?

I know there's a lot more to consider in choosing a math curriculum (and I'm not shopping right now anyway), but I thought it might be fun to see the hive's opinion on these three questions. Hope you think so too.

Thanks!

Probably EPGY, but we can't afford it. With my math adept 6yo, we're using Singapore Primary Maths textbook, IP, and CWP (i.e. not the basic workbook) in conjunction with Primary Grade Challenge Math (and soon, Challenge Math).

There are some free ones out there, like CSMP, though I suppose you'd have to pay printing costs.

I don't know. Probably something video based?

Saxon

Probably Singapore

I hear MUS is easy to teach. I think Saxon is too, with the teacher's guide when needed.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

I can speak to cheap (and rigourous but certainly needs an involved teacher).

We use this free math program . . . granted, I doubt myself now and again about my ability to teach this math program well. I read and get help from the MEP yahoo page and I probably would have given up on this program if I didn't have the support of the yahoo group.

MEP teaches "thinking math" - and just as we finished up the week, I saw the beauty of the program. My almost 10 year old is finishing up YR 3 . . . we were working on double, triple, quadruple multipliers(?) with a single digit multipland(?). (I struggle with math terminology - 865 x 3 etc) The "thinking games" asked us to work backwards by giving us the answer and we had to figure out the multipland. In the process, we figured out how to do long division without applying the rote method steps . . .the lights went on for both of us about what long division really is.

Working the question by partitioning and then working it by orderly long division steps really showed us what we were doing. My son could tell me before he worked the problem what the remainder would be. This might not be a big hoot for many of you, but because I'd never learned to do that as a kid, I was quite thrilled with ourselves. He says to me: "Mom, when we're working a math problem, we can think forward, backwards, estimation or partition." I think we're connecting the dots somewhere in the land of math.

This math moment helped me see that we are really learning mathiness, not just the steps of "doing math" - I was very pleased, because I second-guess myself at every corner when it comes to all things math. Next week, I might be insecure about this math program . . . but mostly, I'm insecure about my ability to teach it.

Good luck on your search to find a fit!

Singapore. Their word problems are fabulous.

MEP Math is free, except for printing.

Singapore seems inexpensive to me because you can buy it one level at a time.

Singapore again. My ds understands math easily and not having 4 gazillion problems per assignment makes it easy for me to teach. (long sentence, just got up)

I know there's a lot more to consider in choosing a math curriculum (and I'm not shopping right now anyway), but I thought it might be fun to see the hive's opinion on these three questions. Hope you think so too.

Thanks!

HTH

Thanks!

I think Singapore is the answer to all these although my daughter now teaches herself pretty much at NEM 2 level (Singapore High School). The Key To series isn't really a curriculum but is also fantastic on price and ease of teaching for older ages.

Well, I think depending on who you are asking, Horizons fits all three. Horizons was not hard or time consuming to teach so that my DD could do the work provided, I just felt that doing the work provided was not good enough.

Math Mammoth fits the easiest to teach and cheapest categories, but I would not call it rigorous.

MUS is not expensive after the initial purchase of the blocks and the DVD makes it easier to teach but the Mastery format makes it difficult to know when to move on, and many people supplement MUS, so that makes me wonder as well.

Big help, huh? ;)

ETA: I just saw your post above. I wrote this before I saw you mentioned Horizons.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Singapore Math with the Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice

Singapore Math

Math-U-See because it has the video program.

Singapore. Horizon comes next and that's what we use, along with Singapore WP once a week.

MCP with used TM

MCP

1) Which elementary math curriculum do you think is most rigorous? Singapore

2) Which elementary math curriculum seems to be cheapest? Singapore

3) Which elementary math curriculum do you think is easiest to teach? I've found Singapore very easy, but others may disagree.

Math-U-See because it has the video program.

That's exactly why I found MUS harder. My ADD brain screamed trying to coordinate the blocks and teacher's guide and workbooks and videos. Suffice to say we went to Singapore (with the MUS blocks) and poor old MUS will be sold soon.

We are all so different. I have ADD and I am loving MUS!

LOL! Maybe I didn't give it enough time or should have taken my meds. :D I just found it much easier to flip open Singepore and start working the problems rather then do the MUS. Or maybe it just didn't suit our style and I shouldn't be trying to pin it on ADD! :)

Thanks!

1) MUS-upper levels

2)CLE or Singapore

3) CLE....NOT Singapore!;)

Smiles

1)Which elementary math curriculum do you think is most rigorous?

ABeka

Singapore

From what I have heard it is MUS.

Probably EPGY, but we can't afford it. With my math adept 6yo, we're using Singapore Primary Maths textbook, IP, and CWP (i.e. not the basic workbook) in conjunction with Primary Grade Challenge Math (and soon, Challenge Math).

:iagree:

I keep hearing EPGY and Singapore recommended for kids who are gifted in math. Miquon's another one, though that seems to be a "love-it-or-hate-it" type program.

A couple of inexpensive programs I haven't heard mentioned yet on this thread are MCP and Seton.

In terms of easy to teach, I would say any program with scripted lessons.

Christian Light Education

Rod & Staff

Modern Curriculum Press Math

And the question you didn't ask, but which matters most, Which elementary Math curriculum do I believe prepares my child best for success in later math programs?

BJU Math

Singapore is the spine (with Miquon to grade 3), but I use a number of other materials also like Quarter Mile Math, Calculadder, make my own, etc.

The easiest to teach? :001_huh: My daughter does very well with math, but she just does not like to do math, so there is no easy regardless of what method we use. This is why I try to switch between materials to make it more fun for her.

Christian Light Education

Rod & Staff

Modern Curriculum Press Math

And the question you didn't ask, but which matters most, Which elementary Math curriculum do I believe prepares my child best for success in later math programs?

BJU Math

Just curious.... if you think CLE is more rigorous, what does BJU do/have that makes you feel it is better preparation for later math programs?

(BTW, I think rigorous can mean different things. Many people have said Singapore is rigorous - maybe because of the kind of thinking it requires? But Horizons is sometimes used a year behind, or so I hear, which made me think of it as rigorous).

I kind of wish I just had my old math books... no bells, no whistles, just get 'er done!

Maybe my definition of rigorous is different. CLE has 4 pages of math assigned per day. BJU has 2 pages, with the optional addition of 2-3 more, depending on the teacher's wisdom/requirement.

CLE is a spiral program, while BJU is mastery. At our house, mastery style programs "git 'er done" while spiral programs cause frustration.

I also feel that the conceptual foundation laid by BJU is stronger than CLE (though the work done by the student in CLE is more rigorous).

Define "rigorous"? Do you mean advanced or accelerated? Or do you simply mean difficult? Everyone I know seems to think Abeka is "rigorous", but it didn't work for several of mine. MUS is often touted as advanced without the stress of rigor, but my oldest has a profound hatred of mantipulatives and doesn't learn well from DVD/computer teaching. Everyone said Saxon was rigorous w/o being too fast paced, but it didn't work for us either.

To me "rigor" is useless if the kid isn't learning. I'm not sure I value making a subject harder than it has to be to learn either. Some texts make things far more complicated than they really need to be.

MCP (Modern Curriculum Press) or Key To series... imo. Yes, there's some "free" online stuff, but it would cost WAY more than the cost of an MCP workbook to print off all the stuff on those free programs. Plus both of these are sans manipultives, which helps b/c manipulatives are very expensive.

MCP is very user friendly and clear. Or at least they were. I hear they just changed their workbooks, so I'm presuming they kept what worked. I love that it is NOT a spiral approach like Abeka or Saxon.

I also like the Key To ... series.

A couple of inexpensive programs I haven't heard mentioned yet on this thread are MCP and Seton.

I bought all of Seton's Math for Young Catholics workbooks (K, 1, and 2 grades) in place of MCP this year for 2 reasons. I wanted to support them as one of the few publishers of current materials developed specificly for Catholic homeschoolers. And because I love MCP for the younger grades and figured Seton's would be similiar to MCP since that's what they'd recommended for so many years.

I have to say... I'm a bit disappointed. The math is good, but it's not as clear as MCP. Also, for some nutty reason they put a lot more reading/ writing in it than in MCP, which requires one of two things. Either wait until the child can read/write decent to progress or sit right next to them the entire time so you can read the directions to them for each section on the page. I've always given my 4 yr old the MCP K book. I wouldn't be able to do that with Seton because the reading/writing required would hamper their progress unless I just skipped those sections. Which I would do and did do with MCP too, but there's a lot more that would have to be skipped if I did that with Seton.

The math concepts are fine, but not presented as clearly in the directions on the page as in MCP imo. Some are downright confusing. It's like they are trying to make some of the concepts difficult.:confused:

We're going to finish with the Seton math workbooks this year because it's what we have, but I'll be getting MCP next year. I'm crossing my fingers that the changes MCP has made to their workbooks are positive minor ones b/c I do NOT want to be on the hunt for something else. That and I have all the MCP teacher guides and don't want to pay the small fortune for new ones!

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

I can speak to cheap (and rigourous but certainly needs an involved teacher).

We use this free math program

THANK YOU!!! I had forgotten about this math website/program. We use Rod & Staff which is great for drill, but I'm not sure my kids (myself included) actually "get" math. I think this may help with that.

We used Singapore for kindergarten and first grade. I'm wondering if it gets more rigorous in the upper elementary grades? Because I didn't think of it as particularly rigourous, but perhaps that's because dd is somewhat advanced and intuitive? I think it can be a great program and would recommend it, but I don't know that I would describe it as rigourous.

We switched to Righstart as our core program. I find it to be more user-friendly and believe that it has helped me learn how to teach math. I also find that it helps dd to understand what is happening in math operations rather than just requiring her to memorize facts. It's definitely not the most economical, though.

We use Miquon as a supplement and find it good for challenging kids to think and to approach problems in a different way than they might have if they had just been told how to solve the problem.

We used Singapore for kindergarten and first grade. I'm wondering if it gets more rigorous in the upper elementary grades? Because I didn't think of it as particularly rigourous, but perhaps that's because dd is somewhat advanced and intuitive? I think it can be a great program and would recommend it, but I don't know that I would describe it as rigourous.
Singapore 1A/1B is not representative of the rest of the program, especially if you add in IP and CWP or substitute IP for the workbook. It's a great fit for my advanced 6yo.

Singapore 1A/1B is not representative of the rest of the program, especially if you add in IP and CWP or substitute IP for the workbook. It's a great fit for my advanced 6yo.

Yep, you have to use all of the pieces, not just the workbook and textbook. The IP and CWP are what sets it apart from just the average program.

I'm another who isn't sure what you mean by rigourous... Do you mean difficult and frustrating or challenging in a positive way? Do you mean accelerated for the typical scope and sequence of a particular age? I have a negative connotation for the word rigourous so I'd vote for Saxon because I believe it is so thorough it is often maddening to kids.

Cheapest... probably Rod & Staff or CLE. Singapore isn't much more expensive.

Easiest to teach... I'm surprised no one has mentioned Teaching Textbooks. Maybe they're assuming you're looking for something inexpensive? If you're just asking the question, my answer would be that TT is very easy to teach. Saxon with the DIVE cds was also very easy to teach, though our issues were more with dd's frustration with the whole "boring" program than with understanding. LOL

Yep, you have to use all of the pieces, not just the workbook and textbook. The IP and CWP are what sets it apart from just the average program.

I used both the CWP and the IP with dd for first grade. I still didn't consider it rigorous. Maybe, way too much work if you insist that the student do every page of each separate book, but not necessarily rigorous. I guess the word rigorous to me denotes a curriculum that is extremely challenging, moves at a faster pace and, consequently, covers more concepts and more challenging concepts. Now don't get me wrong, I think Singapore is a terrific curriculum. And I plan to continue using it in the future whenever we are finished with Righstart. Perhaps, too, my ideas have been skewed by my dd's abilities. Perhaps it was rigorous for a typical first grader. I'm not certain that my son will be ready for all of it when he is in first grade, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I used both the CWP and the IP with dd for first grade. I still didn't consider it rigorous. Maybe, way too much work if you insist that the student do every page of each separate book, but not necessarily rigorous.
As I said above, 1A/1B is not representative of the rest of the program; it's a gentle start. I usually advise people to skip IP and CWP for the first year because there's not much value added. Right Start B is more comprehensive than 1A/1B, but the programs converge quickly after this. Right Start drove my oldest crazy because (1) she didn't want new information doled out in little chunks, and (2) she chafed at the teacher led nature in the early years. I didn't like Right Start solely because I found it to be too much work to compress to meet her needs (otherwise I love it).

Those of us using Singapore with math adept kids typically don't have them do every problem. Because of the way its laid out, if DD the Eldest already knows the material I can have her do only the most challenging problems and move on quickly.