Menu

How would advise a friend who would like to lose 20 lbs?

three4me

You know what helped a couple of people I know?  

No carbonated drinks.  No sodas, not even artificially sweetened (and if you ask me, especially not those).

No high-fructose corn syrup.  

Another friend took it one step further and had faster weight reduction:  no wheat.  (I think it basically takes away the bulk of carbs we use for ballast--noodles, pizza, sandwiches...)

And move around.  Use your computer at counter-height, not desk-height.  Sit less.  (For a mom, that seems like a joke, right?)

Anyway, those are things that you can do fairly easily as a starter...and the benefit is that carbonated drinks and HFCS aren't doing you any good *anyway* so  you get the benefit of better quality food.  

Do that for 40 days and then you can see where you are going with it.  Actually, do it through the end of the year--get yourself through the Christmas season (which will be just after 40 days...and you don't want to backslide).  If you do a little faithfully, you will do a lot better than taking on the entire problem in one gigantic try--and failing.  Just start, and do a little faithfully.

Good luck to you!

I used to love carbs,too. But, I hit peri-menopause and the weight just started packing on quickly. Everything else I tried didn't work. Then, I got the book "Happy Hormones, Slim Belly", which is basically carb cycling and I've been on it 4 weeks and have lost 8 pounds. Honestly, after the first week, my carb craving really subsided. I didn't think it would happen, but it did. It's a fairly easy system and I'm not hungry. The first 2 weeks were hard because I had habits to break and I couldn't eat what I wanted, but you get used to it. The gist of it is - for 2 days a week you eat no more than 25g of carbs per day and then the other days you eat no more than 125 g of carbs per day,preferably less. But, you do eventually lose the cravings. Like last night, even though I'd budgeted for a bun with my burger, I topped the hamburger patty with sautéed peppers, mushrooms and onions, melted cheese and crumbled bacon. I didn't even miss the bun.

I so appreciate all of these replies! Two days now and I'm doing pretty good. I did buy a loaf of Ezekiel bread and had one slice toasted with natural peanut butter and half a banana for lunch and it filled me up. Normally I would have eaten two. 😳

Also, I've quit my nightly dessert and I'm only drinking water.

• Like 3

I stopped eating sugar.  It makes me jittery, or it makes me extremely sleepy.  It causes inflammation which causes joint pain in my elbows and pimples on my shoulders and arms.  Excess fructose gives me gas and sometimes diarrhea.  I stopped eating sugar for those reasons.  I feel better and, as a bonus, I've lost 12 pounds so far.  

• 1 month later...

For the first time in my life since junior high (besides pregnancy) I've gained weight. About 15 lbs since my two year old weaned a little over year ago. I've got a sweet tooth. And I love carbs. I've never been on a diet. I need something that will be sustainable, doesn't necessarily need to be a quick fix. 

So, if you were going to give a friend advice, what would you tell them?

I haven't read the replies yet and look forward to doing so. I would highly recommend The Obesity Code. Trust me. I've read tons of diet and weight loss books. This one is gold. You mentioned carbs and having a sweet tooth. I can relate. This book addresses all of that. 

• Like 2

No S ( no snacks, no seconds, no sugar) except sometimes on days starting with S. I would also focus on lots of fruit and vegetables.

Disagree with the snack part........ healthy snacks help sustain throughout the day. I'd agree to only occasional junk snacks/treats. I do better overall with weight loss or maintenance when I have a snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I eat breakfast at 6am, lunch around 11:30, I'd have major issues without something around 9. Usually some nuts or fruit or cheese.

• Like 1

Sustainable would mean that whatever you do, you still allow a "treat" day once per week. I hate the word "cheat" when it comes to your "way of eating" because it has such a negative connotation. If you know you're allowed to eat one of two of the yummy things you are avoiding on Saturday for supper, such as carbs and sugar, it's easier to make good choices the rest of the week yet still satisfy your craving.

I did lose 15 lbs playing Pokemon Go. :lol:

My housemate attributes much of his recent weight loss to the long walks he's taken due to Pokemon Go. He can go walking for hours with that as his motivation. Seriously, he once told me he was going on a "short walk to clear his head" and arrived back about...3+ hours later because there were charmanders all over our local park. He also got a stationary bike to use while he watches shows when the weather is too miserable for even that to tempt him out. 

In terms of eating, both he and my spouse found that they were both in this pattern where they would significantly undereat for days without noticing due to work or something, their bodies would crash, and they would overeat for days for comfort/cravings and repeat. Having a target amount for the day every day, help them both balance it out. Once housefriend was out of that, he could work on slowly lowering his target amount.

My spouse is still trying to get out of it. Because he works nights and goes straight to bed less than an hour after he gets back, his schedule for most things is pretty wonky and with the couple of years we've had [multiple deaths in the family, terminal illness in the family, his own health issues particularly with his lungs], he's still going through the stress/comfort cycle quite a bit. 

Begin easy, by cutting out excess sweets and excess carbs.

So, no more sweetened beverages with or without meals.  Half your desserts when you eat them.  

You can cut carbs out of meals by adding an extra veggie.  I grew up in a family that had bread with every meal, even with meat and potatoes and veggies.  So for that type of meal, you could eliminate the bread on the side, and consider replacing the potatoes (or even just half the potatoes) with extra veggies.  One thing that really, really helped me do that was to learn how to cook veggies so that they actually tasted good and I began craving them!  Roasting them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper is so good!

You can also try cutting a meal in half.  Often, I found that half a meal was just as fulfilling for me as a whole meal.  Not for every meal of the day (at least not at first)!  I'd start with lunch. 

You have to figure out what approach works best for you.  Some people work best with an "all or nothing" approach and others do best taking steps one by one. I can share what worked for me, but it might not work for you. 

1. I changed my eating by focusing on adding foods, not subtracting foods. I worked for 9 servings of fruits and veges per day, added lots of plant-based fats (nuts, olive oil, avocado) and Omega-3 heavy fish such as salmon, and making sure I was getting a generous amount of protein per day (I do mostly fish and chicken). Doing that took care of many of my cravings because 1) I was FULL and 2) I think sometimes our bodies keep asking for more junk because they haven't gotten the nutrition they need. This was nutrition dense food.  I wasn't "on a diet" but lost 60 pounds over a couple years and have kept it off. 

2. I eat dark chocolate every day. It gives me a bit of a sweet fix but has relatively few grams of sugar (if you get a real dark chocolate bar, not something like Hersheys) look for around 7 g of sugar per serving. It will have fairly high saturated fat though. 

3. I exercise regularly. I don't exercise to "burn calories." I exercise to stimulate health. I believe that exercise also helps make changes in body chemistry that make it easier to lose weight. It's very effective at keeping off deep visceral fat that is the source of many health issues. 

4. Get enough sleep. It messes with your hormones if you don't and will cause you to overeat. 

5. Drink plenty of water, tea, healthy no calorie fluids. (Our bodies don't register the calories in fluids. Even "healthy" things like 100% juice need to go. Vege juice is ok) 

6. Consider a 12-13 hour window between your final food of one day and the first food of the next. That helps your insulin sensitivity. Also don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime. 

7. Whether you are "all or nothing" or "step by step" you have to plan: plan when you will exercise on which days, plan your shopping so that you have healthy food on hand (particularly healthy food that can be eaten quickly for those times when you're suddenly starving, plan what you are going to do about obstacles (holiday parties, what you'll do if you get home too late to cook dinner, what you'll do if your exercise plan doesn't work). Planning and focus is a key. 

8. Your environment gives you all kinds of eating cues. Google environment and weight loss and you'll get some good info. Stuff like: don't bring junk into the house. If you must, put it somewhere where it's not the first thing you see when you open the fridge or cabinet. You tend to eat the first thing you see.  The only visible food in your kitchen should be fruit or veges.  Buy 10 inch plates (Correl makes lunch plates the right size), and use those. You will eat less food. Also, choose a plate in a contrasting color from your food. Don't eat pasta on a yellow plate, for instance. Your brain doesn't take in the boundary between food and plate very well. Environmental fixes reduce the amount of "willpower" you have to use. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

I would say that you'll have more success if you don't focus on "what do I cut out to lose weight" but instead "what do I add to be healthy".

So eat more fruits and vegetables - as they make up a greater portion of your diet, they'll gradually displace cookies and candy. You're not "giving up ice cream", you're getting to eat yummy raspberries. Switch out the sodas for unsweetened tea or water with lemon - something enjoyable, anyway.

I'd also start using smaller plates and make one sacrifice rule - no eating anywhere in the house but the kitchen or dining room, off a plate, no screens. No eating outside unless you sit down somewhere for a full 15 minutes to do so. If you pay attention to what you're eating, you're less likely to just munchmunchmunch.

Also, plan for falling off the wagon. I think planning for how to get back on the wagon is probably the #1 strategy you can have to sustain longterm change. 

Here's what I mean: 

Most people plan as if they will only do what they've committed themselves to doing until they reach their goal. Almost nobody does that because obstacles come up .. So when the inevitable happens, and they don't follow through, they tend to either beat themselves up or pull back on goals. 

Most women react by saying stuff to themselves and others like, "I'm just not disciplined enough," or "I'm lazy, " or "I'm such a ______ (insert self-deprecating word) . or "Since I messed up, I might as well forget it."  

But what has actually happened, is that you have hit a situation that you didn't have an adequate plan for. Take time to analyze what happened and what you might do about it the next time. In other words, analyze the situation and choose a plan for the next time that obstacle arises. 

Getting a health coach to help support you as you think through it can be helpful if you try and get stuck on your own. (Health coaches help you stick with a plan that you have chosen that you think has the best shot of working for you and then help you with obstacles. They don't dole out advise so much as offer support and help you with analysis.) 

• Like 3

Also, plan for falling off the wagon. I think planning for how to get back on the wagon is probably the #1 strategy you can have to sustain longterm change. 

Yes. 

One of the most pernicious things is "Oh well that piece of cheesecake already blew my day I might as well eat the entire cheesecake and a quart of ice cream and start my diet tomorrow" instead of "Oh well that piece of cheesecake was off-plan" followed by eating the rest of the day on-plan. 

• Like 7

An accidental experiment that I carried out: I used to serve food onto plates, but after my mum moved in, I switched to having serving dishes on the table.  Previously, I used to serve lots of veg onto people's plates, but after the change, people served themselves less veg.  

It seemed to be that people were unconsciously dividing their plates by the number of dishes on the table.  If there was protein, carbohydrate, veg in three dishes, people ate a third of each.  If it was protein, carbohydrate, veg, veg, they ate one quarter of each.  More veg means more fibre and fewer calories.

• Like 2

My friend gained 25 lbs after the birth of her daughter with a very serious diagnosis. Total stress eating. She did 2 things: no eating after certain time (except water, I think for her 7pm) and no white foods (ie no white flour, no refined sugar, baked potatoes, white macaroni, etc.). For someone with no underlying issues, this seemed to work for her in about 4 months.

This is basically the best advice.  No sugar and white stuff.  Stop eating early. 

I've recently heard that alternative fasting seems to work.  I tend to to do that anyway, go long stretches between meals.  I don't seem to be as hungry.

Sugar is like crack though, at least for some people.    So long as you stay away from it, you are just fine, but one little taste, and watch out... :laugh:

• Like 1

I have always struggled with weight since I was 15. What has worked for me twice but I couldn't sustain, was Atkins, which I didn't like and couldn't stick with.

The only diet I actually can stick with and lose weight is simply counting calories and trying to eat low fat. It works for me.

Also, if I stay gluten and dairy free, my swelling completely disappears and I feel so good.

Exercise has never helped me with weight lose, but it does make me feel better about myself. :)

• Like 1

Ok, so we eat a lot of bagels or sandwiches for lunch. What are some good go-to options for meals? Things to keep around that are easy? I will plan to just drink water, and skip my dessert I treat myself with after the kids are in bed. 😳

Here are some of my go-to's. Lunch must be pretty quick to prep for me. 

Leftovers from dinner

In winter, soup. I make a big pot and freeze some of it in bowl-sized portions. Trader Joe's has a couple of low-sodium soups (most are sky high) that have the same kind of ingredients I would use if I made them. I like their tomato and roasted pepper soups. 

In summer, massive salads

I make sure there is some kind of substantial protein: I have frozen homemade cajun chicken in lunch-sized portions that I can get from the freezer and warm up. I do the same thing when we have turkey. Slice some meat and put in a dollop of juice from the meat so that it heats up moist. Canned salmon.

Sweet potatoes; just pop one into the microwave for about 4 minutes. I serve with cinnamon. 

Plain Greek yogurt and fruit. 

Personally, I'd let the kids keep eating sandwiches for now assuming that you aren't too tempted. 

Well to start pick a plan/way of eating that you can live with.  If you don't like certain foods and they make up the bulk of the diet, that isn't going to work out so well.

I'd say for many people it's a life long struggle.  Trying to cut out junk is the way to go for any diet, but you figure we are surrounded by junk.  Junk is yummy, easy, relatively cheap, etc.  I know, some people will say an apple is easy, not too expensive, yummy, etc., but compared with a piece of chocolate cake...mmm not so much if you are used to chocolate cake. 

Low carb works well for me, but I don't tell other people it will be great for them because they aren't me.  What makes it easy for me is it controls hunger well.  Too many carbs make me feel starved.  And I don't mean just sugar.  In fact I don't like sugary foods, never have.  I can't eat stuff like oatmeal for breakfast.  I avoid too many fruits.  That stuff leaves me feeling very very hungry. 

I also plan my cheats when possible.  Meaning yeah sometimes I allow high carb stuff, but I try to do it in a controlled way.  It's not just...oh I'll only eat this one bag of chips.  That isn't going to happen and I know it.  That'll turn into what's a bag of chips a week.  Then that leads to other issues.  LOL 

I haven't figured out the magic formula though.  Lot of it is changing habits and that's not easy when it seems so many things around us are working against us.  Thank goodness at the moment I don't have a lot of temptation.  My husband, forget it.  Every day at work right now someone is bringing in cookies, donuts, treats, candy, etc.  Of course he doesn't HAVE to eat it, but it's hard when everyone is eating it and it's right there in your face all the time. 

• Like 1

Disagree with the snack part........ healthy snacks help sustain throughout the day. I'd agree to only occasional junk snacks/treats. I do better overall with weight loss or maintenance when I have a snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I eat breakfast at 6am, lunch around 11:30, I'd have major issues without something around 9. Usually some nuts or fruit or cheese.

I prefer to eat foods that sustain me through to the next meal. Any eating causes insulin spikes - so the less frequently you eat the easier it is to lose weight.

• Like 2

I prefer to eat foods that sustain me through to the next meal. Any eating causes insulin spikes - so the less frequently you eat the easier it is to lose weight.

This works better for me too.  And when insulin spikes are controlled I can go a very long time without feeling hungry.  Sometimes I don't even realize I'm so hungry because it feels very different than that low blood sugar shaky feeling.

I have about 20 lbs to lose. I did Whole 30 last spring for one month and lost 11 pounds with only light exercise. Sadly, I gained it all back when I started eating dairy, sugar and wheat again. :( My plan now is Whole 30ish with occasional treats plus fairly intense exercise to build strength and therefore increase metabolism. I'm using a Beachbody program, Core de Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not diet at all.  I would look at your eating, at what is different or less healthful, and change one thing at a time like Erica suggested.  Anything obvious and easy like soft drinks or snacks that aren't your favorite I'd just ditch.  And then I'd look at limiting portions in some easy way and making sure your food groups are balanced, something easy like a half plate of fruit/veg and 1/4 carbs 1/4 protein.  Limit sweets.  (FWIW I think the No-S diet is a simple way for many people to do this, if it fits your lifestyle.)

What I would not do is cut out any food group or fast or anything that will be difficult to sustain long term.  Any weird eating becomes a chore.

It's slow, but effective unlke a lot of approaches that lose quickly.  If it gets no results after 6 months or so, then look at doing something more intensive.

I'd try hard to get some exersize as well, it proably won't make a big different to the weight aspect but it will make you feel better whether you lose or not.

• Like 3

I guess we're all different....... I gain weight if I don't eat nutritious snacks between meals but I don't eat huge meals.

• Like 1

Weight watchers is the only thing that has worked for me long term.  I can't sustain things like whole 30 or the 17 day diet.  Once the weight is off I don't know what to do. On WW I can still eat anything as long as I watch my portions.  The app makes it really easy.

Weight watchers is the only thing that has worked for me long term.  I can't sustain things like whole 30 or the 17 day diet.  Once the weight is off I don't know what to do. On WW I can still eat anything as long as I watch my portions.  The app makes it really easy.

This seems to work great for people who don't have blood sugar issues.

I love the idea of it because it is relatively realistic, but I think I'd be hungry all.the.time.  So how does one deal with that?  KWIM? 

I've been seeing a bunch of before and after photos of women who lost a lot of weight eating mega calories of crap food. They weight lift. If my body could do weight lifting, I'd try that first by getting a PT and joining a gym.

I lift weights regularly, but can't get away with eating that much crap!  It might be my age/hormones, though (I'm 49 and almost in menopause).  I used to be able to eat more and not gain.

• Like 2

I've been seeing a bunch of before and after photos of women who lost a lot of weight eating mega calories of crap food. They weight lift. If my body could do weight lifting, I'd try that first by getting a PT and joining a gym.

Although to me this is another one of those "probably can't sustain for the long term".  If you stop the intense workouts...then what?  Anything too extreme that you stop probably leads back to where you started

• Like 1

Did the friend ask for advice? Because unless they asked, they probably do not want your advice. If they did ask, they still probably do not really want an answer. 

Everyone has a different body and system. IF worst came to worse, I would tell the person to see their doctor. Thyroid problems can be under diagnosed and if the person is asking my advice, then chances are, they already tried conventional things and whatever else on the internet for advice.

• Like 1

I lift weights regularly, but can't get away with eating that much crap! It might be my age/hormones, though (I'm 49 and almost in menopause). I used to be able to eat more and not gain.

The articles I read were 20-30 somethings, it looked like to me. You're so right. Makes total sense they could eat donuts and whatever.

• Like 2

Although to me this is another one of those "probably can't sustain for the long term".  If you stop the intense workouts...then what?  Anything too extreme that you stop probably leads back to where you started

This is where I am now.  I exercise a lot.  I enjoy it, but I also feel trapped by it because of the fear of what will happen to my weight if I stop.  If anything interferes with my workout time, it makes me anxious because I worry about weight gain.  

• Like 1

Yeah, they aren't really meant to be sustained, and Whole 30 at least isn't meant for weight loss. 

• Like 1