Menu

urgent advice: fed allergen at an event? WWYD?

38carrots

I took my teen DD to a 1.5 day event with catering. We were asked to indicate any allergies, as lunch was catered.

We indicated anaphylactic allergy, and were assured that there would be allergen free food options.

She stayed for the morning session and then had lunch. She got a severe reaction after eating lunch--she only ate "allergen free" food.  Starting with itching, hives, scratchy throat, vomitting. Fortunately I was there and took her to our hotel room. She's very sick. She'll miss the second session of the day, which she is very upset about. We drove for 15 hours to get to this event.

I feel stupid, really stupid, for trusting the event host. I should've bought her her own food. Live and learn, I guess. I feel horrible for her, and feel like I failed DD.

But I also feel that the event host failed us. She knew DD was anaphylactic!

Main question: do I deserve a refund? Full refund? Partial refund? Nothing? Was it all my fault?

My feeling of discontent is also compounded by the fact that the session that DD did attend was NOT focused on what was advertised, but on preparatory work.

• Like 1

ETA: They were trying to tell me that it must have not been The Allergen, that she must have reacted to something else all of a sudden. They did call the caterer and inquired about each ingredient. They think that the hummus might have had the allergen, but they are not sure. There was nothing else she could've reacted!

was this a professionally catered event?  did the caterers label it as allergen free?  are the caterers and the host the same?

do you know where the contamination occurred? 

did the caterers serve?  or someone else supplied by the event host?   did your dd's allergy make it to the people who really matter?  the one's who cooked her food and served her.

the host could have said allergy free - but the kitchen staff didn't know it was supposed to be allergy free/or what that specifically meant.  (and sadly, the host could have said 'allergy free', but was merely paying lip service.)

the servers could have not known anything about allergens, and carelessly introduced cross contamination.  or they could have known, but didn't care and carelessly introduced an allergen.

what I did would depend upon the answers.   somewhere communication broke down - but it's figuring out where that was.

• Like 3

ETA: They were trying to tell me that it must have not been The Allergen, that she must have reacted to something else all of a sudden. They did call the caterer and inquired about each ingredient. They think that the hummus might have had the allergen, but they are not sure. There was nothing else she could've reacted!

is that the host?  it sounds like buck passing.

I'd demand a refund (and the price of an epi-pen!)  - and figure out what agency oversees her to report such a serious lapse.  

• Like 3

was this a professionally catered event?  did the caterers label it as allergen free?  are the caterers and the host the same?

do you know where the contamination occurred? 

did the caterers serve?  or someone else supplied by the event host?   did your dd's allergy make it to the people who really matter?  the one's who cooked her food and served her.

the host could have said allergy free - but the kitchen staff didn't know it was supposed to be allergy free/or what that specifically meant.  (and sadly, the host could have said 'allergy free', but was merely paying lip service.)

the servers could have not known anything about allergens, and carelessly introduced cross contamination.  or they could have known, but didn't care and carelessly introduced an allergen.

what I did would depend upon the answers.   somewhere communication broke down - but it's figuring out where that was.

I don't know all the details. Someone in the family of the host prepped the food, though I'm not sure if she a professional cook / caterer or just made it. We were assured it was an allergy free kitchen, as the person who prepped food is Celiac and has no crosscontamination.  DD does NOT need separate facilities or anything like that. Our home is NOT GF (as per our allergist). As long as she doesn't ingest, she is fine. She started eating one of the wraps and immediately told me that she felt it wasn't GF and stopped eating.

The food was on the tables, self-served. There was a clear announcement that everything was GF, except the soup (separate table).

How stupid I can be??? I feel so guilty.

• Like 1

is that the host?  it sounds like buck passing.

I'd demand a refund (and the price of an epi-pen!)  - and figure out what agency oversees her to report such a serious lapse.  

I'm not even sure who is who. The host. There are no overseeing agencies...it was a private event. They said that food was included and that they will accommodate allergies.

I didn't administer the epi-pen. DD is exhausted now, sleeping.

Does your allergist want you to administer Epi pen with two systems involved? I'd be worried she has a rebound reaction. Did you go to ER?

I'm not sure. She had a similar reaction a year ago, which resulted in the ER and the allergist appointment (and epi pen prescription). Since then she was successfully gluten free with no reactions.

We are Canadians and are in the US right now for this event. I didn't buy travel insurance. I'm terrified of the ER bill--I'm not sure what is covered for us.

I did NOT administer the epi pen. She is sleeping now. She does not want to go to the ER. I'm a bit lost on what to do.

Help me write a convincing letter, please?

I want to sound non-pissy, non-threatening, confident, but deserving of a refund. I guess a sublte guilt-trip? Or maybe not a good idea? How should I end it?

This is what I have so far:

Dear X,

DD ended up having an anapylactic allergic reaction on the way to our b&b. Hives, constricted breathing, and vomitting. After she vomited the reaction started to subside. Such anaphylactic reactions (involving more than one body system), however, are often followed by a secondary reaction, which we are watching for. She is currently exhausted and is sleeping, which is typical after such a severe reaction.

She was recently allergy tested and the only allergies that she has are gluten / wheat and cats. We've also successfully avoided gluten for over a year. I find it frightening to be assured that food was gluten free, and then to have my daughter so sick.

Who was responsible for food preparation? Did you use a catering company? What were you assurances that all ingredients were gluten free?

I'm sorry for your daughter and this disappointing experience all the way around. :0(

This has happened to me MULTIPLE times, at every age. It took me until I was in my 30s to learn to carry Benadryl with me *all the time*. Until my 50s to learn to say no to everything I had not personally prepared or read the ingredients label on. I've been at a wedding reception where I got something from the"safe" table--and had to be driven to the store where I downed half a bottle of children's Benadryl in the car.

Your daughter might be a quicker study than I.

I still don't carry an EpiPen. Told ya I'm a slow learner.

You can't keep kicking yourself. You and she both learned something from this. Hard lesson, so learn it.

One thing I had to learn to do in restaurants was to be very clear and not embarrassed or giggly, or dismissive about the serious nature of my allergies. A lot of patrons claim allergies to get meal substitutions so waitstaff can become dubious. I am very clear and very firm now. If I feel like the waitstaff isn't taking me seriously, I will explain to them what will happen if there is a mistake, and tell them I csn eat something else if there is any problem at all.

Events: Never go to events hungry. Even going out for dinner. Eat something before you go so you don't HAVE to eat.

Carry non-allergenic snack bars with you, in the car, in the locker, in the backpack. I was just at a three day event where three of 5 meals were ... inadequate. But the snack bars saved the day.

As far as the event and a refund, I might ask for one. They didn't deliver the expected content for the first session, and because of their provisions, your dd missed the rest.

By the way, I'm not scolding you in the above suggestions--just giving some ideas about how I live a pretty normal life, even with serious allergies. It's meant to cheer you up. :0)

In future always gave food with you. I think you know that now.

I think it's reasonable to request some refund. I'm not sure I'd make a big deal if I didn't get it.

You have two issues on which to base the request:

1. The promise of allergen free food was not fulfilled and resulted in DD not being able to participate.

2. The only session attended was not as advertised.

I'd keep it short.

• Like 5

The kicker is, I always have GF food for her...They made such a big deal of the lunch being GF, that we thought it would be fun to eat some "free" (well, included in the price) yummy GF food. They even kept saying, "Isn't it nice that everything is GF and she can choose whatever she wants?" Ugh.

Kicking myself so hard. Something she waited for 5 months. Ruined because of their "GF accommodation" and me trusting them. Expensive,  rare, and far from home. :sad:  When will I learn???

As for the rest of what to do now, if she's breathing peacefully, let her sleep. Allergic reactions are exhausting. That is what really ticks me off--it costs me at least a day of my life.

The second thing to do is get som Buffered (vitamin) C. I use powder and stir about two tbsp of it into a glass of water 2x a day for the next couple Of days. It helps move the allergens through her body faster. Not regular C. Buffered. If capsules, take about 4000 units 2x a day.

I don't know all the details. Someone in the family of the host prepped the food, though I'm not sure if she a professional cook / caterer or just made it. We were assured it was an allergy free kitchen, as the person who prepped food is Celiac and has no cross contamination.  DD does NOT need separate facilities or anything like that. Our home is NOT GF (as per our allergist). As long as she doesn't ingest, she is fine. She started eating one of the wraps and immediately told me that she felt it wasn't GF and stopped eating.

The food was on the tables, self-served. There was a clear announcement that everything was GF, except the soup (separate table).

How stupid I can be??? I feel so guilty.

not professional. :svengo:     

well - they used something that wasn't. 

you live and learn and will know better next time.  she recognized the symptoms and stopped eating.  she's recovering.  she'll also remember in future and not trust someone just because they say it's fine.

• Like 2

The kicker is, I always have GF food for her...They made such a big deal of the lunch being GF, that we thought it would be fun to eat some "free" (well, included in the price) yummy GF food. They even kept saying, "Isn't it nice that everything is GF and she can choose whatever she wants?" Ugh.

Kicking myself so hard. Something she waited for 5 months. Ruined because of their "GF accommodation" and me trusting them. Expensive,  rare, and far from home. :sad:  When will I learn???

Hey I would have done the same.  It's understandable.

• Like 2

Don't rule this out as a possibility. Allergies can pop up out of nowhere, and testing doesn't cover every possible food/spice.

I know...I guess I'm thinking, what are the chances? It was all "clean food"-- sweet potatoe wrap with lettuce, organic turkey breast, hummus, tomatoe, cheese. Watermelon, cantalupe, pineapple.

I think it was either the sweet potato wrap (DD even said it was too good / flexible / soft for GF) or the hummus that contained gluten.

• Like 1

I know...I guess I'm thinking, what are the chances? It was all "clean food"-- sweet potatoe wrap with lettuce, organic turkey breast, hummus, tomatoe, cheese. Watermelon, cantalupe, pineapple.

I think it was either the sweet potato wrap (DD even said it was too good / flexible / soft for GF) or the hummus that contained gluten.

My first guess would be spices in the hummus, but I'd wonder about the ingredients in the wrap also. Food can be "clean" and still be, or contain, an allergen.

Is it reasonable to ask for complete list of ingredients? They did call the person who either bought some of the food or made some of the food while we were still there, to ask for ingredients, and they were told there was no gluten.

If she's reacting that badly to something else, I'd like to know.

• Like 1

My guess is the wrap too. Such a bummer. ðŸ™

Don't rule this out as a possibility. Allergies can pop up out of nowhere, and testing doesn't cover every possible food/spice.

This is indeed a possibility. New allergies can crop up any time, I'd want to get your dd back to her allergist as soon as possible, with a list of all the ingredients that were supposed to be in the food she ate. It might be cross contamination or some wheat/gluten ingredient somehow having snuck in, but it might also be a brand new allergy manifesting itself.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Is it reasonable to ask for complete list of ingredients? They did call the person who either bought some of the food or made some of the food while we were still there, to ask for ingredients, and they were told there was no gluten.

Yes, it is reasonable.

• Like 2

Perfectly reasonable.  And then the complete list of ingredients should be taken with you to the allergist.

• Like 3

Yes, get a complete list of ingredients, including brands. This was a life-threatening incident.

• Like 4

Yes, you should absolutely ask for a refund. You are missing part of an event you paid for. Explain calmly and clearly that the food was not safe for your daughter as indicated. You were not able to attend your session. Do not back down to the guilt of a new, unexplained allergen. It is possible for you to track this down if you need to.

In the future, always bring food in. Do not trust. Remember celiac and anaphylaxis are two different animals. Never assume one understands the other. (No guilt, just saying)

• Like 2

This is indeed a possibility. New allergies can crop up any time, I'd want to get your dd back to her allergies as soon as possible, with a list of all the ingredients that were supposed to be in the wrap she ate. It might be cross contamination or some wheat/gluten ingredient somehow having snuck in, but it might also be a brand new allergy manifesting itself.

This. I was highly allergic as a child and occasionally would have a food reaction erupt out of the blue. ie one day I could eat black olives, and a month later I broke out in hives. Tried again few months later, no reaction. Reactions can be really unpredictable. 

At this point I'd be most concerned about having a specific plan in place that is agreed upon by DS, parent, and doctors. It's important you all sit down and talk this latest reaction through with her doctors to see what they would recommend should she ever have a similar reaction in the future. I don't even have a history of anaphylaxis, but for constrained breathing and vomiting my allergist also would have had me use my Epipen, and follow up immediately with medical care. 

Edited by Pippen

not good enough.

I'd want every last ingredient listed, including brands/labels.   there are all sorts of hidden ingredients in things. even substituting one brand for another, the ingredients can be completely different.

any prepared food that was purchased, I'd want to know where and exactly what it was.  then that store can give the exact ingredients.

and it can still be gluten to which she reacted - you have to know all the names by which it hides out.

• Like 1

THis is what I got from the event host:

>>>I'm so very sorry to hear this. We went up to meet up with the caterer after you left to see if they could figure it out. They checked labels on everything. The hummus was made by sabra and is gluten free. They did check all the labels. All the bread and wraps and meat were gluten free. The only possibility is that the sweet potato wraps are made in a facility where wheat is processed, but they themselves are GF. So it may indeed be a reaction to something besides the gluten. Do keep up posted. I will send some healing energy your way and I hope you can join us tomorrow.<<<

Is her allergey to wheat, or to just gluten? Could something have say, wheat bran or starch in it, but not gluten, and have set her off? I'm wondering if there was some starch as a binder for the meat, or what not. 

Wheat and gluten. I told the host "wheat / gluten" to cover both. She's never had any issues with deli meats that are labeled GF, though.

Is your DD sleeping now? Are you familiar with rebound reactions? They can happen up to 12 hours after the first reaction. They are often worse. Watch your DD like a hawk. All night.

Two body systems = epipen.

Please. I don't mean to sound alarmist, but I'm alarmed for you. Our allergist would have insisted we epi for the symptoms you describe. Fortunately, it didn't progress, but goodness, that's fortunate!!! A rebound reaction tonight could be worse - please epi for another reaction tonight.

((Hugs))

I can't help with the other info, I'm just alarmed for you and grateful she's ok.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

Kicking myself so hard. Something she waited for 5 months. Ruined because of their "GF accommodation" and me trusting them. Expensive, rare, and far from home. :sad: When will I learn???

If one of their selling points was a GF meal then yes I would request a full refund.

• Like 3

No facility should advertise allergen free. They just shouldn't because they cannot control for cross contamination.

If not the wrap, I would suspect the hummus because someone on the staff may have stirred something with gluten and then stirred the hummus with the same utensil. I have witnessed this being done by a professional caterer who didn't think it was a big deal. Sigh... I know someone anaphylactic to nuts who nearly died at a church event. She brought her own food, labeled it, put a warning "allergies do not touch my food please", and left it separated from all of the potluck food in the kitchen. One of the women decided she was going to be "helpful" and warm it up. Never mind it said do not touch. Never mind it said. Allergies. Never mind that the worker had just put 3 dozen peanut buttet cookies out on a platter.

No advice, just hugs. It would be nice to trust other people, but as a person allergic to wheat - not anaphylactic, just very sick - I have learned not to teust anyone. Not even my hubby. He tried to get me to try a new flavor of pringles potato chips. I asked him if he had read the label. Nope but he was just sure there would not be wheat. I showed him the ingredients list. There was the allery warning - WHEAT!!!

I am so sorry your daughter had this happen.

• Like 2

When I was a kid, a beloved neighbor made me a jelly sandwich using a knife she had used to make a PBJ. SHE HAD WIPED THE KNIFE...and the amount of peanut butter left in the small serrations sent me down for three days.

It happens. My neighbor was the best of people. She meant no harm. You--you and your daughter will really have to master this.

I am very thankful to my mom for teaching me this. I feel stronger--not a victim and not weak--because I know how to take care of myself.

THis is what I got from the event host:

>>>I'm so very sorry to hear this. We went up to meet up with the caterer after you left to see if they could figure it out. They checked labels on everything. The hummus was made by sabra and is gluten free. They did check all the labels. All the bread and wraps and meat were gluten free. The only possibility is that the sweet potato wraps are made in a facility where wheat is processed, but they themselves are GF. So it may indeed be a reaction to something besides the gluten. Do keep up posted. I will send some healing energy your way and I hope you can join us tomorrow.<<<

I think you have your answer.  Often, being produced in a facility where wheat is processed is fine, but sometimes it's not because of whatever else was being produced at the same time.  Wheat can easily get airborne and "infect" something wheat/gluten free.  With an anaphylactic wheat allergy, they should not have used anything produced in a facility where wheat is processed.  The item itself being gluten free does not guarantee anything.  They assured you the food would all be gluten free, but then used something in the meal that could be cross contaminated.  They did not uphold their end of the bargain.  I believe they should give you a refund for the event.  (Cross contamination possibility in a factory is why I now ask to personally see all labels and to know what brands of things are being used beforehand.  So many people are gluten free by choice that something made in a factory where wheat is processed wouldn't matter one bit to them.  For someone who has Celiac or a wheat allergy, it could matter a lot.)

• Like 3

Help me write a convincing letter, please?

I want to sound non-pissy, non-threatening, confident, but deserving of a refund. I guess a sublte guilt-trip? Or maybe not a good idea? How should I end it?

This is what I have so far:

Dear X,

DD ended up having an anapylactic allergic reaction on the way to our b&b. Hives, constricted breathing, and vomitting. After she vomited the reaction started to subside. Such anaphylactic reactions (involving more than one body system), however, are often followed by a secondary reaction, which we are watching for. She is currently exhausted and is sleeping, which is typical after such a severe reaction.

She was recently allergy tested and the only allergies that she has are gluten / wheat and cats. We've also successfully avoided gluten for over a year. I find it frightening to be assured that food was gluten free, and then to have my daughter so sick.

Who was responsible for food preparation? Did you use a catering company? What were you assurances that all ingredients were gluten free?

Well, first you need to lay your groundwork, and remember, your letter needs to stand alone, meaning include all facts, so that anyone who reads it knows exactly what your claim is and why.

You will have to adjust the following because I do not know the timeline, but write something like this.

Dear X,

On (date),  my daughter, X, was enrolled into the (class or event) that was to occur on (date).  At this time of enrollment, the following questions were asked (name them).  We were specifically informed that the meal would be (whatever claims they made).

On (date), my daughter attended the event.  An announcement was made at lunch that the meal was prepared in an allergen-free environment and that it was safe for people with (whatever allergies she has) to eat.  Upon consuming the first bite of the (whatever it was) wrap, she was fully aware that this item was not, as represented, gluten free.

Immediately, she developed (specific symptoms).  In the following hours, these events occurred (name them).

Based on long experience, clearly this meal was not allergy nor gluten free, as specifically represented to be, causing (name) significant medical reactions that required (name what you did).

She was unable to attend the event at all, due to this lapse.

Based on the facts, we are requesting a full refund in the amount of (add up costs, including hotel) due to the fraudulent misrepresentations.  Please issue a check in the amount of (amount) to (name address).

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.  I trust that we can resolve this issue between ourselves, and that more accurate representations will occur at future events.

Respectfully

Your full name

• Like 1