Menu

My family is trying to give me a heart attack (aka Hurricane Matthew)

ktgrok

So, I posted elsewhere about my parents not wanting to evacuate despite being on a barrier island in the storm's path. Well, they are no going to go to my sister's. Who I called to see if she needed help with finding supplies, getting ready, etc, as she is a single mom, works, etc. She's inland, but East Orlando. Still very possible to lose power. 

She tells me "Oh, I have wine, and I picked up a 12 pack of water bottles. And cheetos. And my cell phone has a flash light app."  :svengo:

I didn't even think to ask about her patio furniture, etc. I guess my parents can handle that when they get there tomorrow. I messaged my mom warning her that she needs to bring snacks, supplies, etc. 

The only good news is my sister is a principal,a nd the school she works at is a shelter, so they have generators, ice machines, etc etc that she will have access to. 

• Like 1

Sorry, should have clarified, my parents have now agreed to evacuate. Partly because I begged and told them worrying about them wasn't good for my pregnancy, and partly because my sister it turns out needs to work at the shelter, and so she needs them to babysit her kids. Who it seems will be subsisting on cheetos. 

Oh, and she's not worried about the storm because it will be "mostly just wind" where we are. I didn't even know what to say to that. Yes, hurricanes are in fact, mostly wind. 

• Like 17

Sorry, should have clarified, my parents have now agreed to evacuate. Partly because I begged and told them worrying about them wasn't good for my pregnancy, and partly because my sister it turns out needs to work at the shelter, and so she needs them to babysit her kids. Who it seems will be subsisting on cheetos. 

Oh, and she's not worried about the storm because it will be "mostly just wind" where we are. I didn't even know what to say to that. Yes, hurricanes are in fact, mostly wind. 

Guess she missed the class covering the difference between a gentle breeze and hurricane winds?

Hugs.  Since your parents are going to be there, hopefully they can all help pull things together.

• Like 2

Well, that's the only food that doesn't require cooking or refrigeration. She also has milk and turkey and bread I found out, for sandwiches, but no ice really to keep it cool. Hopefully she will make ice between now and then, or get some from the school/shelter where there are ice machines. 

• Like 1

Cell phone batteries don't last long when you are using as a torch! Hope they have a backup plan for lighting now. Really hope things are ok for them.

I told my mom and dad to bring flashlights and such. And they are bringing the contents of their freezer and fridge although she has no way to cook if they lose power. And didn't like the idea of ice, but will have access to it at the shelter/school. 

We are 40 minutes further west from her, and north, and they can come here to cook after the wind dies down, or if my parent's house is ok and they can get back they have a grill there. 

I also offered for my sister's kids to stay with me, while she is at the shelter, if she wants. 

• Like 1

Katie, my parents and grandad (with dementia) live in a condo in pompano. On the beach. On the first floor. They said if there's a storm surge they'll go upstairs and hang out in the stair well. I can't even...

UGH!!!! Why do they have to be so stubborn! This isn't a Cat 2 storm, it's possibly going to be a Cat 4!!!

• Like 3

UGH!!!! Why do they have to be so stubborn! This isn't a Cat 2 storm, it's possibly going to be a Cat 4!!!

Right? I know. And some models are now saying the TS behind it could force it to circle and hit twice. I'm aggravated beyond belief but short of flying out there and dragging them inland there isn't anything I can do to convince them. You lived in Florida right? I was born and raised there too. I get it...after a few years of near misses everyone grows blase thinking this one will skirt up the coast. Do you remember Andrew? NO ONE thought it was going to hit until it was like 50 miles offshore

• Like 4

Right? I know. And some models are now saying the TS behind it could force it to circle and hit twice. I'm aggravated beyond belief but short of flying out there and dragging them inland there isn't anything I can do to convince them. You lived in Florida right? I was born and raised there too. I get it...after a few years of near misses everyone grows blase thinking this one will skirt up the coast. Do you remember Andrew? NO ONE thought it was going to hit until it was like 50 miles offshore

Yup, born and lived in Palm Beach County most of my life (Palm Beach Gardens) and then lived a short period in Port St. Lucie, now just west/north of Orlando. And yes, you get warned, prepared, and then it turns away. But that's the whole point, they are unpredictable! I think it was Charley that also landed in a different spot than predicted. And even a Cat 2 broke windows on my house, blew off shingles, etc. 

I'm SO glad my parents are evacuating...they are in the direct line of fire. 

• Like 2

Yup, born and lived in Palm Beach County most of my life (Palm Beach Gardens) and then lived a short period in Port St. Lucie, now just west/north of Orlando. And yes, you get warned, prepared, and then it turns away. But that's the whole point, they are unpredictable! I think it was Charley that also landed in a different spot than predicted. And even a Cat 2 broke windows on my house, blew off shingles, etc.

I'm SO glad my parents are evacuating...they are in the direct line of fire.

I don't know why I keep thinking you moved from Florida to NC. So you're in central Florida then. I'm going to try and remember that :)

What more does one need than wine, cheetos, and a flashlight app? :rofl:

I went through a cyclone alone with a 5 month old and a 6yr old, sitting it out on the upper floor while the water level reached 1m in the yard and my husband sat in Paris. I wish someone had offered me wine!

I hope everyone stays safe...

• Like 1

and a few sprinkles . . . (innocent whistle.)

I've been paying attention because ds' gf lives in orlando. (including expected rain totals.) she told him to not expect to hear from her for a while.

My brother was stationed at homestead in 92.   I was babysitting his grandfather clock, so it was undamaged.

My uncle lived in Miami, right in the part that was hit hardest by Andrew. My dad drove there the next day to bring supplies, avoiding police road blocks, and said that if he hadn't grown up there his whole life (my uncle lived in their childhood house) he never would have found it. Every land mark, every street sign, was just gone. And that was a Cat 4 storm if I remember correctly, which this is supposed to be.   Never mind,it was a Cat 5. 

Edited by ktgrok

My grandparents did this to me with Hurricane Rita. In fairness the assisted living center where my great-grandmother lived wasn't a good place for her to be during the storm and they didn't think she would survive the heat of evacuating to my cousin's house in Dallas. They were ok, but I was up most the night praying. They did actually have food and water, they just wouldn't leave their house.

We lost power at a hotel this summer (most of the town lost power in a big thunderstorm) and I was like, what do we do! I didn't bring a flashlight on vacation! The kids were like, but we have devices! We lit up the whole room with them. It was pretty funny.

• Like 2

Electric wine bottle opener?

Don't mist people use corkscrews.

Corkscrew! That's the word I was looking for! Good lord this fasting business and prep medicine is doing a number on my brain. But I sure did love my electric opener when I had one for the record. And when it broke I did not have a corkscrew on hand and it was a sad day indeed.

We lost our house in Hurricane Katrina (Mississippi gulf coast). I take hurricanes very seriously. And the house was fine during Hurricane Camille.

Good idea to have one of those wind up radios. It sucks but at least if you have to hear the news you aren't using up batteries. I think some of the wind up devices might even charge other things??

I don't know how serious it is in their area, but I highly recommended gasing up the tank. I still remember what gas stations looked like when we evacuated. You know, if the gas station had gas. Crazy town. We ended up staying with a complete stranger when we came back to town. He drove to Alabama to bring back a cooler of bologna and bread for us to all share. So even if you think you're staying put for a while, it could change.

• Like 1

We all have gas, which is good as there is none to be had now. I've got more than 3/4 of a tank, and husband is the same. We don't have the wind up radio, but have 3 different batter backups for the cell phones, one of which will charge it 6 times, so we should be okay checking now and then on the cell phones. 

and thanks, yeah, hurricanes aren't to be messed with. People think because they go through a bunch of minor ones that you can relax, but it doesn't work that way. So glad my parents are leaving today...looking like 130mph wind at their place tomorrow!

• Like 3

Frustrating!  We take hurricanes seriously here on the Cape too.  Old hands at prepping.  It's the power outages that last for days I hate the most.

I keep gallon bottles of water at the bottom of the deep freeze to rotate as needed into the fridge and coolers.  Gas stovetop thank goodness.  Woodstove helps with heating things up, drying things out and keeping warm.  Propane lanterns, flashlights and jar candles.  Emergency power thingy gets charged up, will charge phones and such for about a week.  Gas cans get filled for the chainsaw and such if trees come down and the cars get gassed up in case the pumps lose power too.  Cases of bottled water get stocked, we refill at a spring pump locally so its cheap.  We have a very protected basement if need be and only one window that we need to board over.

Box wine is indeed, very handy. ;)

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2

If you've got propane tanks on grills/outdoor cookers, make sure you have full tanks and maybe an extra. Comes in handy if power is out for days. Gotta have coffee, and if everything in the freezer thaws, a cookout.

Yup! My husband had to go to multiple places, but he did find propane yesterday, so we are set. I've got hotdogs and hamburgers to cook on it, plus some chicken breasts that are frozen. And we can use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches, heat up soups, etc etc. Ad of course to boil water for coffee. I also have cold brew made and stored for coffee :)

• Like 1

Frustrating!  We take hurricanes seriously here on the Cape too.  Old hands at prepping.  It's the power outages that last for days I hate the most.

I keep gallon bottles of water at the bottom of the deep freeze to rotate as needed into the fridge and coolers.  Gas stovetop thank goodness.  Woodstove helps with heating things up, drying things out and keeping warm.  Propane lanterns, flashlights and jar candles.  Emergency power thingy gets charged up, will charge phones and such for about a week.  Gas cans get filled for the chainsaw and such if trees come down and the cars get gassed up in case the pumps lose power too.  Cases of bottled water get stocked, we refill at a spring pump locally so its cheap.  We have a very protected basement if need be and only one window that we need to board over.

Box wine is indeed, very handy. ;)

Stay safe everyone.

this is why we didn't have a problem with a builder coming in, tearing down two houses on heavily wooded large lots, and building six. the stinkin' trees would come down in a big storm and take out the overhead power lines.  a couple times they were across the road. of course, it was only in the winter.

eta: because there were only about 15 homes with no power - we were *way* down the list for restoration.

Edited by gardenmom5

Katie, my parents and grandad (with dementia) live in a condo in pompano. On the beach. On the first floor. They said if there's a storm surge they'll go upstairs and hang out in the stair well. I can't even...

I'm sorry.

Your family, Katie's, and everyone in the path are in our thoughts tonight!

• Like 2

No way. Please tell me they have left. Once the water is in the home, then what? My neighbors lived in their upstairs while they repaired their downstairs, but even that doesn't sound appealing (mold issues, etc.).

We all have gas, which is good as there is none to be had now. I've got more than 3/4 of a tank, and husband is the same. We don't have the wind up radio, but have 3 different batter backups for the cell phones, one of which will charge it 6 times, so we should be okay checking now and then on the cell phones. 

and thanks, yeah, hurricanes aren't to be messed with. People think because they go through a bunch of minor ones that you can relax, but it doesn't work that way. So glad my parents are leaving today...looking like 130mph wind at their place tomorrow!

The battery may not be as big of a problem as cell phone service. We didn't have any real service for some time. It was torture. That was way before I had a smart phone and I'm sure cell service options may have differed. But still.

Over the years we've moved around the state. Sometimes we were the place where my family evacuated to. One time some family came to our home and we lost power, but since our house had a gas stove we could still cook. Problem was that it was so hot that the last thing you wanted to do was heat up the kitchen lol. At least you have the grill.

I don't understand that thinking either. We live in NW Houston, so we didn't bear the full brunt of Ike, but it still came through here as a Cat 2. We lost a fence, lots of people lost vehicles, holes in roofs, roofs torn off, roads completely impassable, we lost power for 3 days, and our in laws for over a week! 

Sure, we don't have a ton to fear as far as the worst happening, but "only wind" does a ton of damage, and the first storm that heads our way in any given year means it's time to exchange the propane, buy batteries and water, and make sure we'll be able to eat with no power! 

I hope your family weathers it fine!

• Like 3

I just saw something about filling the washing machine (upright) with ice for a cooler. and you don't have to worry about draining it.

That's kind of genius in a pinch.

4am here in west Orlando area and not bad yet. The storm is now a Cat 3 instead of a 4 which is great news, and is going to stay off the coast and not make landfall!

The people on the East Coast of FL and nearby states are in our prayers and good thoughts.  I'm happy that Matthew weakened. Hopefully, it will not circle around and hit FL again, in about 6 days, as the models indicate at this time. Be careful and stay safe at all times.