Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW40: October Spooktacular Reading Month

Robin M

Out of town soccer game yesterday kept me away from this thread. Still busy with new puppy and fall activities here, so still not getting much reading done. Mostly just what I read on the treadmill (1/2 hour each morning) and maybe a little while waiting for the next kid thing to be done.

For my first spooky read, I'm reading Roald Dahl's Ghost Stories which were collected by him, not written by him. He was going to do a television series on ghost stories and read some 750 of them, then the series wasn't picked up. These are not gory--just good, eerie stories. I'm also reading The Remains of the Day for book club.

Sorry to hear about whooping cough and puppy losses.

• Like 12

For my first spooky read, I'm reading Roald Dahl's Ghost Stories which were collected by him, not written by him. He was going to do a television series on ghost stories and read some 750 of them, then the series wasn't picked up. These are not gory--just good, eerie stories. I'm also reading The Remains of the Day for book club.

The Remains of the Day is my all time favorite novel. I realized that somewhere in our four moves these past six years the book had gone missing. I had to buy another one. It's also one of my reads right now. I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 12

Speaking of The Remains of the Day, DS14 knows its my favorite novel, but I haven't encouraged him to read it because I don't think he's old enough to appreciate the premise. I'm one to read a book and toss it his way immediately so he thinks it a little strange for me to tell him to wait. In some ways, he's very mature, but I don't think a quiet novel about an English butler would interest him right now. I have talked about it with him, how much I love it, and I hope one day he finds it an interesting read. 

"The evening's the best part of the day. You've done your day's work. Now you can put up your feet up and enjoy it."

Does anyone else have any favorite books you're waiting to share with your kids?

• Like 13

Speaking of The Remains of the Day, DS14 knows its my favorite novel, but I haven't encouraged him to read it because I don't think he's old enough to appreciate the premise. I'm one to read a book and toss it his way immediately so he thinks it a little strange for me to tell him to wait. In some ways, he's very mature, but I don't think a quiet novel about an English butler would interest him right now. I have talked about it with him, how much I love it, and I hope one day he finds it an interesting read. 

Does anyone else have any favorite books you're waiting to share with your kids?

Yes, lots! This is on my mind right now, as we are about to take the plunge with The Great Gatsby, a novel I absolutely adore. Pride & Prejudice is another on in that category. Oh, and she just picked up Rebecca today! It's funny I do feel a bit nervous as to whether she will like it, but it's more the case that I don't want to ruin a book for her by pressing it on her too soon.  I know I've shared that when I tried to read Virginia Woolf in my 20s, I got nothing out of it - couldn't even finish the books - but when I've read them recently, I've really liked them.  Ditto with Faulkner and other authors that I know would have been totally wasted on me in my 20s, and which might have turned me off to that author if I had been forced to read it - as a heavy-handed allegorical interpretation of The Old Man and the Sea made me swear off Hemingway at the exalted age of 15.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 13

Well, earlier this year, I read & loved Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel by Tom Wainwright. I thought it was interesting &, at times, funny too (dry British wit). Ds (15yo) & I have similar reading tastes & I knew he would like it.

He attends a brick & mortar high school & always carries a 'fun' book to read. (He's a quick worker, so if there's an in-class assignment, he often has downtime to read.) He took that one in with him. :lol:

I told him that if any authority figures gave him trouble, to put them in touch with me since I was the one who recommended it to him. A couple of kids he knows laughed about it & a couple of teachers asked about it (in a curious but not 'in trouble' kind of way). Lol.

I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but I had to pipe up anyway. :laugh:

• Like 11

I don't read books that actually scare me too often.  I don't find ghost or monster stories that scary, but serial killer stuff can keep me awake for days - the idea that there are things going on every day that are scarier than anything you could dream up.  The evil within the heart of man is much scarier than anything supernatural, to me - In Cold Blood type stuff, or the non-mythology X-Files stories, or other crime dramas.  Bedbugs was very spooky, in a Rosemary's Baby kind of way.  Under the Skin. a book I read last year, was one that has definitely stuck with me in the creepy-and-shivers department, and again it was more that it was weirdly plausible, rather than the fact that it was so scary.  

I didn't find The Elementals to be scary. My favorite part of the book was definitely the characters, and they are definitely characters. I love books set in the South. I'm looking forward to discussing with you after you get a chance to read it. 

I am old enough now to differentiate between the scariest book I ever read (Danielewski's House of Leaves) which is still not finished from last year's spooky read, and the book that actually scared me the most: King's It. House of Leaves is much more terrifying but I read It when I was younger and more impressionable, and it actually caused changes in my behavior for a decade. I stopped leaning down over sinks, I crossed the street to avoid storm drains, and I fled from clowns in general. (The last one has stayed with me, actually.)

• Like 13

It is one of the scariest books ever. 

My brother to this day refuses to sleep in a room that has a large tree outside the window thanks to the movie Poltergeist. I, for one, am very very glad TVs don't do the snow thing when not broadcasting anymore. Do any TVs still do that? If my TV still showed snow I would still freak out and have to turn it off and unplug it. 

• Like 14

Glad you have been enjoying the Rivers of London series. I have good news The Hanging Tree is due for release in early November.

Amazon says not until Jan. and in the UK in Nov.    Which lead me to looking at Fishpond.com longingly thinking about ordering from the UK in Nov  (I must admit I did that once before -- to get the end of Melina Marchetta's trilogy, which was already out in Australia but had 6 months! to go before the US edition).  Thankfully Foxglove Summer did not leave me dying to know what happens next as badly as Broken Homes did, or I would already have ordered it  :lol:

• Like 8

Amazon says not until Jan. and in the UK in Nov.    Which lead me to looking at Fishpond.com longingly thinking about ordering from the UK in Nov  (I must admit I did that once before -- to get the end of Melina Marchetta's trilogy, which was already out in Australia but had 6 months! to go before the US edition).  

You can get a hardback through BookDepository (November 3 release date) with no shipping costs worldwide.  See here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I don't read books that actually scare me too often.  I don't find ghost or monster stories that scary, but serial killer stuff can keep me awake for days - the idea that there are things going on every day that are scarier than anything you could dream up.  The evil within the heart of man is much scarier than anything supernatural, to me - In Cold Blood type stuff, or the non-mythology X-Files stories, or other crime dramas.

I feel the same way, Rose.  As a kid I was never particularly afraid of the dark, spiders, etc. but freaky unstable people?  Yaaaassss.  I did do a bit of a search for "true crime" the other day on Overdrive.  Meh, all abducted-girl stuff...which is fodder for every single police procedural so I feel like I don't need to hear that story again, ever.  But In Cold Blood was a great book...and I am sad to admit that I have aged out of Stephen King-like horror.  (Though The Mist, sheesh, I might have to re-read that this month...)

The Kingdom of Speech by Tom Wolfe. Non-fiction Linguistics/Natural Science. A comparison between Wallace vs. Darwin and Everett vs. Chomsky. Wallace wrote to Darwin about a theory of natural selection, which prompted Darwin to finish his work on natural selection. When both men had their theories presented at a conference, Darwin, by way of alphabetical order and scientific prominence, took credit for the theory. Everett wrote about a group of native South Americans whose language disproved Chomsky's theory of universal grammar. Wolfe clumsily attempts to draw parallels between the two episodes. Relying too much on parenthetical asides and ellipses, it also gives the Chomsky/Everett controversy short shrift. I plan on exploring Everett's work more, but this book was a mess. Not recommended.

I hope your kids recover soon Erin.  Maybe I have outgrown Tom Wolfe too because that book looked like a hot mess...another 1980s NYC emperor wearing no clothes.  And why can't apocalyptic books stand up to The Stand?  Rose, I know you liked The Mandibles...

I feel like I am the dealer in the longest card game in history.  I dole out books one at a time to the kiddo as she's old enough to appreciate them.  Oh my there are some good ones once she reaches near-adulthood!

• Like 11

I started I am Not a Serial Killer night before last, and read about half of it. What bugged me was how much it felt like The Young Dexter - his Dark Passenger, the rules he makes for himself to keep from escalating, the fact he has legitimate access to dead bodies - and then when I got to the part with a supernatural-ish twist, I stopped reading and went to sleep. When I went to pick it up again last night, I found that I didn't really care what happened, so I guess I'm letting that one go.  It's not that the character wasn't drawn well and effectively, it just felt too much like it had already been done - both in the HBO show and the novels by Jeff Lindsay that they are based on.

• Like 11

An interesting bookish piece ~

Here’s How Long It Took To Write Your Favorite Book by Claire Fallon

"Planning to write a world-changing work of fiction? You might want to set aside a substantial chunk of time.

This mind-boggling infographic compiles the purported lengths of time it took 30 authors to write some of their most beloved works, and the range is remarkable (from 2.5 days to 16 years). On the whole, though, it looks like the Great American Novel can’t be written during NaNoWriMo ― or any month, for that matter. ..."

A couple of old Book Riot posts as they're celebrating their fifth birthday ~

Best of Book Riot: 16 Things Calvin and Hobbes Said Better Than Anybody Else

10 Kick-Ass Secret Passage Bookshelves  (I'd happily take any of these in my library.  I think I need the library first.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

An interesting bookish piece ~

Here’s How Long It Took To Write Your Favorite Book by Claire Fallon

"Planning to write a world-changing work of fiction? You might want to set aside a substantial chunk of time.

This mind-boggling infographic compiles the purported lengths of time it took 30 authors to write some of their most beloved works, and the range is remarkable (from 2.5 days to 16 years). On the whole, though, it looks like the Great American Novel can’t be written during NaNoWriMo ― or any month, for that matter. ..."

Regards,

Kareni

:lol:  I just shared this with Shannon. She's doing NaNo this year, which is cool.  How to walk the fine line of *not* raining on their parade vs. gently suggesting that a 7-book series completed and published between now and 18 might not be a realistic plan to fund college?  :laugh:

• Like 13

For a Halloween read, I picked up The Spook House, a collection of Ambrose Bierce stories published in a Penguin series of scary lit, "Red Classics." See their full list here: https://penguinchecklist.wordpress.com/later-series/red-classics/

Nice! Spooky to-read list updated. Now I'm kinda wishing we could have an extra October this year.

• Like 10

:grouphug: Erin  :grouphug:

:grouphug: Angela  :grouphug:

I finished my audiobook of The Lake House. It was pretty good, though things wrapped up a bit to neatly at the end. 

Somehow I find myself immersed in English/British history of the late middle ages. Part of that is due to reading The Sunne in Splendour (still reading) and part due to a Dan Jones documentary I've been watching on the Plantagenets. I ended up getting his book, The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England, and am reading it now. I also downloaded a sample of his follow up, The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors, and will likely read that one soon too. I'm not sure where the sudden interest in revisiting this part of history came from, but I'm enjoying it. 

I finished Countdown City (Last Policeman #2) and put the final one on hold at the library. 

Oh, and Homegoing, which I heard about here came in, so I started that too.

I only have bad things to say about B of A too.  Really bad things!  I have found that local credit unions have been wonderful to work with. 

We haven't used a regular bank in years. When I met dh in 1992 we were both using credit unions, though not the same one. That was back when you had to have a connection to the CU. I was with the teacher's credit union, he banked with the one for space industry employees. We still use a credit union.

Thinking of you Jane since we're both in the path of Hurricane Matthew. We're currently under a Hurricane Watch and expect to feel it Thursday-Friday. Anyone else in the path is in my thoughts too. 

• Like 15

I did just convince my 14-yo to maybe tuck in a few more classics before trying out Catch-22. I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe the structure or maybe the particular humor or the difficulty of keeping track of so many wacky characters (or the combination of these things). I was feeling like it may be just a little beyond him.

Then my 12-yo asked me what my favorite book is, and I responded, "So far, The Once and Future King," and while the first book in that book of books would be great for him, I kind of hoped he wouldn't try reading more than that (and thankfully spooky reading month took his mind right off it) because, first of all, I don't think he'll understand the Arthur-Guenever-Lancelot thing. When I read The Princess Bride to my children they were shocked and a little confused about the author talking about ogling some young woman at the hotel where he was staying despite being married. Nor do I know how well he'll understand the ending with the change in war with the use of gunpowder. Then there's the thing with Morgause and Arthur, which just seems a little mature. 

OTOH, I don't remember how Calvino's Invisible Cities came up, but it did, and he said he wanted to read that. I doubted that he would enjoy it yet, but handed him the Kindle and wow, he is so into it! He has stopped once or twice to ask me to explain a section to him that was particularly dense, but he loves the ideas. (And in hindsight, that is what he loved about Catherynne M. Valente's Fairyland series, too, so it makes sense.) It is so nice seeing him love something that I love, something that nobody else I know (irl) would like. 

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 12

Somehow I find myself immersed in English/British history of the late middle ages. Part of that is due to reading The Sunne in Splendour (still reading) and part due to a Dan Jones documentary I've been watching on the Plantagenets. I ended up getting his book, The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England, and am reading it now. I also downloaded a sample of his follow up, The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors, and will likely read that one soon too. I'm not sure where the sudden interest in revisiting this part of history came from, but I'm enjoying it. 

I finished Countdown City (Last Policeman #2) and put the final one on hold at the library. 

Oh, and Homegoing, which I heard about here came in, so I started that too.

I listened to both Dan Jones books on audio earlier this year. I liked them - it definitely provided a good overview of the people and the period. Not too in-depth on anything, but gave me a good frame to hold all those monarchs in mind. I never set out consciously to memorize all the kings/queens of england (that always seemed like a silly thing to do, at least for an American) but I think I have them all down now.  

And, Countdown City and Homegoing were both great! We're doing kind of a parallel reading life here lately.

I just finished The Garden Party and other stories by Katherine Mansfield.  Some of the stories were just stunningly amazing.  The Garden Party is good, but I like The Daughters of the Late Colonel, Mr & Mrs Dove, Marriage a la Mode, and The Stranger even more.  And Miss Brill! devastating.  We'll be reading several of these together for school. What an amazing writer, so sad her life was cut short (she died at 34 of tuberculosis).

• Like 11

And, finished Gatsby: The Cultural History of the Great American Novel. This book was tough to rate, because the content was excellent, but the writing was the most uneven I think I've ever seen in a scholarly work of nonfiction. Parts were fine, as if the central parts of the chapters had been previously published (and heavily edited) as journal articles, maybe? But the intro and conclusion to each chapter, and all the "From my perspective" bits in the author's voice were just horrifically written - like bad essays turned in by 9th graders who have a foggy clue of what they want to say, but no idea how to convey it in academic English. I was really shocked, and kept wanting to read sentences aloud to my dd as an example of how *not* to write.  So strange that the book wasn't more thoroughly and evenly edited for style.  Again, the content was thought provoking, well researched, and interesting, but the writing style was extremely distracting.

• Like 10

:lol:  I just shared this with Shannon. She's doing NaNo this year, which is cool.  How to walk the fine line of *not* raining on their parade vs. gently suggesting that a 7-book series completed and published between now and 18 might not be a realistic plan to fund college?  :laugh:

But, but ... it's such a lovely plan.  I shall send Shannon an umbrella -- perhaps this one.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Only had time for light/fast reads this past week. Finished Diane Stanley's upper elementary/YA Silver Bowl trilogy:

The Cup and the Crown

The Silver Bowl

The Princess of Cortova

Mixed reaction.

On the plus side, it was enjoyable, a creative world. I esp. like the spunky protagonist as she appears in book #1. Also, the series was better written than I expected -- I did like that all three books had numerous moments that were not what were expected or what an average writer does -- a unique turn of phrase or description, an unexpected character choice, etc.

On the downside: as with so many books in a series, the writing quality starts to decline a bit (probably due to rushing forced by the publisher). But worse, each new book has to get "bigger" and more sensational to "top" the previous -- which tends to push the author into unbelievable events and character choices. Book #1, the protagonist has an interesting gift. Book #2, that's not enough -- now she also has super-hero proportioned magic powers. And worst of all, book #3 takes a character who has been pivotal in book #1 and #2, marginalizes him for most of book #3, and then throws him under the bus in the last chapters -- forcing the whole story arc into a more "traditional" fairytale ending -- and goes against everything the author set up in book #1 and #2 for the series being about something other than "traditional fairytale". Aarggh!

But, setting that aside, book #1 is definitely a fun fantasy read, and book #2 is worthwhile for the interesting and creative world-building; book #3 -- read at your own peril. ;)

Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 13

I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night. This is my first time through the Potter universe, so that's pretty exciting.  I liked it a lot, although I haven't processed my review yet and writing about it helps me to do that.

I started the newest kindle-available Joan Smith It Takes a Lady ... I'm not very far into it, but it seems to be one of the better ones than recently. Did I mention that I think I've read all of the Joan Smith titles available for Kindle in the last two years? 

Ahem. 

• Like 18

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter (Not really sure how spooky this one is, but there ought to be at least a little blood in a chamber, I'm guessing, and it will count for my fairy tale adaptation for BaW Bingo.)

I read some Angela Carter earlier this year and really enjoyed her. She can pack a punch, so I stopped after one book of short stories, but I look forward to that one. 

For my spooky book, I've decided finish Cormac MacCarthy's Blood Meridian (the evil, evil, so much bloody evil choice) or Karen Russell's Vampires in the Lemon Grove (the come on, you only have 1 more story left choice). 

Recently I finished: 

The End of the Affair (I was fooled by the '90s movie, this was more than a ill-fated love story...it even had some good lines I should go back and copy into my notebook.)

Lost Worlds: rewriting prehistory ice age mariners archaeology kind of thing (more information dense than I was expecting and well explained but needed a different organization I think)

Struggling with: 

The Master and the Margarita (I don't dislike it, but struggle to make myself read it. I'm about ready to return it and try again later.)

• Like 13

Mom-ninja, you were a short car ride away and I had no clue!

ErinE, I hope everyone is on the mend soon.

Mumto2 (Sandy), I loved the post card from you. It came on a day that I was unbearably grumpy and completely brightened my day! 

JennW, My kids are Bunnicula junkies. We're reading the entire series right now and are on Return To Howliday Inn. My husband was highly amused that there is a character named Hamlet in there who is a Great Dane but no longer identifies as great because he's so melancholy. 

Angela, I'm sorry to hear about the puppies. :( 

I just put a hold on a the latest Aurora Teagarden mystery, Bedbugs, and the Roald Dahl Ghost Stories. I loved Roald Dahl as a kid so I have no idea how I missed that this existed... 

• Like 15

Another currently free Kindle book ~ this one is described as romantic suspense with a strong music component:

NO LONGER FREE ~

Reverie by Lauren Rico

and a few mysteries ~

Death in the Quadrangle  by Eilís Dillon

“The mutual relations of the professors crackle with well-expressed malice.†- Times (London) Literary Supplement

Goldengirl  by Peter Lovesey

‘Surpassing ingenuity’ - Kirkus reviews
‘Superb ‘ – Publishers Weekly

NO LONGER FREE ~

The House of Godwinsson: A Bobby Owen Mystery by E.R. Punshon

“What is distinction? … in the works of Mr. E.R. Punshon we salute it every time.†Dorothy L. Sayers

NO LONGER FREE ~

Death in the Dentist’s Chair: A Golden Age Mystery  by Molly Thynne

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

This hurricane is starting to look scary - anyone in the southeast want a family of 5 to visit them this week? :001_unsure: We may need to evacuate tomorrow.

I watched in horror yesterday as each update brought it closer to us. We're now hearing it will be less than 25 miles of our coast. My brother lives on a barrier island and is under mandatory evacuation orders. They'll be leaving today. We're putting up our shutters later this morning.

• Like 12

I really don't do spooky. We had storms and power outages over the last week so spooky would have been a really bad thing to do! 1984 is probably the scariest thing I've ever read. I guess I could do a Northanger Abby re read to fit the theme ... 😆

Stay safe everyone near hurricanes, and I hope the kids with pertussis get strong and well! That sounds a little scary and not very pleasant.

Also hoping for puppies to all be doing well, it's so horrible when baby animals are struggling and there's so little you can do except hope.

• Like 11

It looks like we will just be getting the tail end of Matthew. My daughter, who lives near the coast, isn't taking any chances. We are preparing for weekend guests. We never know how these things will affect us, but the coast is guaranteed to get some flooding. Here, the biggest problem will be trees, depending on the wind we get. Wishes for safety and little to no damage for those in the direct path.

I'm half way through World War Z. So far, it's been much more engaging than I expected. The format is short interviews with a variety of survivors around the globe, after the war. The distance from the events makes it less intense than if it was happening in the moment. (It's still disturbing) You get many different perspectives, military, commercial, government, child. It's interesting how the power shifts from white collar to blue collar workers, because they are better equipped for survival and teaching practical skills. The author seems to have worked very hard at making the resulting scenario believable.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 14

To all of you in the path of the hurricane :grouphug:. I am hoping the really recent tracking that has things shifting out to sea a bit more proves correct. Lots of rain is far better. Please check in when you get a chance. I know many of us will be watching the thread....

On the spooky front I started The Passage https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/jul/18/the-passage-justin-cronin-orion. I am not far but am intrigued. It's 800 pages long and the first in a trilogy so this is definitely a commitment!

For those who don't do traditional spooky remember there are some lighter cosy mysteries with ghosts as characters:

Aunt Dimity https://www.goodreads.com/series/42315-an-aunt-dimity-mystery by Nancy Atherton

Bailey Ruth in Carolyn Hart's series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2914002-ghost-at-work

Jetty in the Sarah Booth Delaney series by Carolyn Haines https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/905887.Them_Bones

• Like 12

I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night. This is my first time through the Potter universe, so that's pretty exciting.  I liked it a lot, although I haven't processed my review yet and writing about it helps me to do that.

That is my favorite.  Half-Blood Prince is a close second.

#98: Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.  It's the follow-up to Stargirl.  It gives an interesting perspective on Stargirl after her disastrous year in public school.  I really liked it.  I especially liked how Stargirl, at 16, was best friends with a 6 year old and good friends with an 11 year old and an older adult because age and being friends with those of our own age is not necessarily a must-be thing even before adulthood.  My best friend is 4 years older than I am and no one bats an eye.  My 10 year old's best friend is 2.

• Like 11

I started I am Not a Serial Killer night before last, and read about half of it. What bugged me was how much it felt like The Young Dexter - his Dark Passenger, the rules he makes for himself to keep from escalating, the fact he has legitimate access to dead bodies - and then when I got to the part with a supernatural-ish twist, I stopped reading and went to sleep. When I went to pick it up again last night, I found that I didn't really care what happened, so I guess I'm letting that one go.  It's not that the character wasn't drawn well and effectively, it just felt too much like it had already been done - both in the HBO show and the novels by Jeff Lindsay that they are based on.

Dan Wells has talked about Dexter, that essentially it was a similar idea and Wells claims he came up with the idea for a teenage potential serial killer independently.

I'll admit I was intrigued more by the character then the plot. In the second book, there's more development of the character and me, as a parent of a young boy, thinking, You know that's a bad idea!, as the character makes rationalization for doing the wrong thing. How much can you influence your child to make good choices, particularly one diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder? I was once tempted to read We Need to Talk About Kevin, but I think I would struggle with the subject. The character of John Cleaver has certainly stayed with me.

• Like 12

Spooky authors:  Many of you upthread (crstarlette, Little Nyssa, Rose) mentioned Shirley Jackson, she of The Lottery and We Have Always Lived in a Castle. 

There's a new biography out about her, and here is a review which I found enlightening...but then again it's by Laura Miller and I admit I have a bit of a fangirl book-loving crush on her.  The biography, written by Ruth Franklin, was also positively reviewed in The Atlantic.  I am intrigued to read the biography.  I read The Lottery a million years ago but that is it...but reading more about her frustrated ambitions as a writer, plus the third-rail touchstones of "fat" "housewife" and "woman writer" during the Feminine Mystique era of the early 1960s...well, color me interested!  I may not like horror, but reading about Shirley Jackson's life might be spooky in its own way. 

• Like 13

Dan Wells has talked about Dexter, that essentially it was a similar idea and Wells claims he came up with the idea for a teenage potential serial killer independently.

I'll admit I was intrigued more by the character then the plot. In the second book, there's more development of the character and me, as a parent of a young boy, thinking, You know that's a bad idea!, as the character makes rationalization for doing the wrong thing. How much can you influence your child to make good choices, particularly one diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder? I was once tempted to read We Need to Talk About Kevin, but I think I would struggle with the subject. The character of John Cleaver has certainly stayed with me.

I did read that one, and it was a really tough book. I've thought about the same issue many times. Kevin is a character that has haunted me, as has his mother.  Maybe that's what made Shriver's book work better for me? Told from the POV of the mother, I could relate to it a lot more.  I feel like John Cleaver's mother, and the other adult characters in his book, are very flat compared to how well developed John himself is.  I guess I relate more to the mother character in Kevin than I do to the teenage sociopath in Well's book.

• Like 9

I finished Bitter Legacy by Dal Maclean today after starting it last night; I enjoyed it very much.  It's a contemporary mystery set in London.  I did not figure out whodunit and was kept guessing until the end. This is a book I’m going to want to re-read (high praise), and I look forward to reading the author’s next book.  (Adult content)

"Detective Sergeant James Henderson of London’s Metropolitan Police Murder Investigation Team is no ordinary police officer. His remarkable gut instincts and relentless detective work have put him on a three-year fast track to becoming an inspector.

When the murder of barrister Maria Curzon-Whyte lands in his lap, he finds himself drawn back into the insidious world of London’s privileged elite―where men like James’s father possess wealth and power enough to hold the law in contempt. As James navigates the promiscuous, secretive and corrupt spheres of the rich, the murderer strikes again.

Soon James begins to fear that these crimes lead dangerously close to his own heart and home. And now, he risks losing everything he’s made of his life unless he can expose the sordid truths that have bred this bitter legacy."

I recently read Liora Blake's contemporary romance  True North (The True Series Book 1)  which I also enjoyed.  (Adult content)

"While most novelists would consider jetting off to Hollywood for a TV interview rather exciting, small-town Montana writer Kate Mosely finds it all a bit exhausting. After losing her husband in a car accident where she was behind the wheel, Kate has finally found her bearings in the world again, rebuilding a simple but stable life. And even if that means a lot of lonely nights watching old movies and quiet days writing obituaries for her hometown newspaper, Kate’s not sure she’s ready for her life to change—again.

Until she shares the stage—and a whole heap of carnal gazes—with rock star Trevor “Trax†Jenkins. Despite his intimidating on-stage bravado, underneath it Kate discovers a man with a Rilke poem tattooed on his arm, an appreciation for cronuts, and a snarky wit that matches her own.

As she and Trevor explore their heated chemistry, the scarred parts of Kate’s heart begin to heal, making room for a love so passionate it makes her want long-forgotten things equal parts naughty, heart-swelling, and joyful. But when a searing exposé in a trashy gossip magazine sends Kate running, will it threaten their chances at forever?"

I also re-read with pleasure  The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata

"Vanessa Mazur knows she's doing the right thing. She shouldn't feel bad for quitting. Being an assistant/housekeeper/fairy godmother to the top defensive end in the National Football Organization was always supposed to be temporary. She has plans and none of them include washing extra-large underwear longer than necessary. But when Aiden Graves shows up at her door wanting her to come back, she's beyond shocked. For two years, the man known as The Wall of Winnipeg couldn't even find it in him to tell her good morning or congratulate her on her birthday. Now? He's asking for the unthinkable. What do you say to the man who is used to getting everything he wants?"

And I've been re-reading  Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson  by Patricia Briggs.  This is a book that contains werewolves, vampires, witches and more.  It may be spooky, but it is not scary.  I'd recommend it in any event, but it's a good choice if you're looking for something spooky for Halloween.  It's a collection of stories of various lengths.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Here's another currently free Kindle book that has some very positive reviews ~

The Clay Lion (The Clay Lion Series Book 1) by Amalie Jahn

"Jahn adeptly blends science fiction elements with strong character development and elements of faith." - The Booklife Prize in Fiction by Publishers Weekly

"A lovely, tear-jerking tale of time travel, familial love, and sacrifice... This poignant, well-written story puts mortality-and readers' reactions to it-front and center." - Kirkus Reviews

One of the "13 Books That'll Make You Feel Like a Kid Again" by Bustle - "If you loved A Wrinkle in Time, then read The Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn. Both novels' success centers on the endurance of sibling bonds and explore time travel as a means of recalibrating a painful and inexplicable loss."

"What if you could go back in time to save the person you love the most?

The rules are simple. If you want to travel back in time, you need to be at least eighteen years old. You can only travel within your own lifespan for a maximum of six months. And above all else, you must never, ever, change the past.

But that's exactly what Brooke Wallace plans to do.

As Brooke faces existence without her beloved brother, his life cut short by a rare disease, she can think of only one solution - travel back in time to prevent his death. However, her attempts at fixing the past challenge her to confront everything she believes to be true about herself. And ultimately, she is forced to discover whether or not we can ever truly be in charge of our own destiny."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

47. "The Story of Science" by Susan Wise Bauer.  I haven't read the suggested readings yet.  That will be the next pass!  I love learning how one thing led to the next.  So much of my education was pieces here and there with no context, even at the college level.  

46. "The Kids' Guide to Staying Awesome and in Control" by Lauren Brukner. 

45. "Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome" by Luke Jackson.

44.  "Seven Miracles That Saved America" by Chris Stewart and Ted Stewart (LDS). 

43. "The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared" by Alice Ozma.

42. "Unsolved Mysteries of American History" by Paul Aron.

41. "The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. 

40. "Look Me in the Eye: my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison.

39. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods.

38. "A Buffet of Sensory Interventions: Solutions for Middle and High School Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Susan Culp. 

37. "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin.

36. "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by Jack Thorne, et al

35. "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum. 

34. "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  (We listened as we traveled in Missouri!)

33. "Blue Fairy Book" by Andrew Lang.

32. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume.

31. "Greenwich" by Susan Cooper.

30. "Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

29. "Clash of Cultures" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

28. "The Story of US: First Americans" by Joy Hakim.

27. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick. 

26. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.

25."Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink.

24. "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

23.  "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown.

22.  "My side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

21. "Cheaper By the Dozen" by Frank Butler Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

20. "Murder on the Ballarat Train" by Kerry Greenwood.

19. "Over See, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

18. "Sing Down the Moon" by Scott O'Dell.

17. "Soft Rain" by Cornelia Cornelissen.

16. "The Collapse of Parenting" by Leonard Sax.

15. ""Flying Too High: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 13

Kathy, you stay safe too! :grouphug:  (And for everyone else who crosses paths with Matthew!)

I'm worried about my sister & bil & all their pets (in Charleston, SC).

Hunker down & take cover away from the coast & flooding/wind areas, if possible.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 12

I'm worried about my sister & bil & all their pets (in Charleston, SC).

:grouphug: :grouphug:

You mean sith lord sexy pants?! His fan club hopes he takes care of himself and his family. 

And Stacia, I worry about any pets coming to your house if folk evacuate to you. You don't need any more dog-tripping adventures!

Thinking of you, Shawn and Kathy, and hoping prep and/or evacuation has been smooth. And that you have full tanks of gas.

• Like 10

You mean sith lord sexy pants?! His fan club hopes he takes care of himself and his family.

The same!

Btw, Berkley Breathed sent Sith Lord Sexy Pants an autographed print of the comic strip & even drew a personalized Opus on it! Super-cool!

And Stacia, I worry about any pets coming to your house if folk evacuate to you. You don't need any more dog-tripping adventures!

Tripping over pets would be the least of my worries. I love (most) animals so it's just an occupational-hazard, imo.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 11