Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW40: October Spooktacular Reading Month

Robin M

Just in case this link has never been posted in this thread...

Writer Ann Morgan set her reading challenge to read a book from each of the countries recognized by the United Nations in one year.

And, here is her list. Surely, this has been posted before, yes?

I tried to read her book , The World Between Two Covers:Reading the Globe, at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016, but I just had to abandon it about halfway through. The book was so very dry and mostly about the state of publishing worldwide. I had hoped it would mainly be about the books. I think her list is interesting, but several of her books were mailed to her by translators and authors and are not currently available to the general public in English.

My oldest dd and I are doing a read-around-the-world year of sorts this year, but I think we are going to have to mix settings with authors, and we probably won't hit half the countries of the world. We spent some time reading from the American South, where we live, and now we're headed to Canada, with Barry Lopez's Arctic Dreams. My dd is a dedicated birder and plans to major in biology next year when she goes to college, so we will probably mix in a fair amount of nature writing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 10

My sis & bil rode out Hurricane Matthew at home -- a few miles inland from the coast, just north of Charleston. Overall, ok, though they still have strong gusting winds that are supposed to last until this evening. Lots of big tree parts down, part of their fence down, lost power earlier this morning (surprised it stayed on so long).

No word yet on my parents' beach house. (It was boarded up & nobody was out there.)

Hello BaW Friends. I'm back after evacuating for Hurricane Matthew. We drove all the way to NC from FL and waited it out up there. I'm so glad we did - we are right near the St. Johns River and surrounded by massive trees. We were very, very lucky. The storm jogged slightly east as it passed our house. We lost two trees but amazingly our power never went out. I'm sad for the devastation up and down the coast. We are so much more fortunate though than the people in Haiti. Praying for all those affected by the storm. St. Augustine, Flagler Beach, Jacksonville Beaches, Amelia Island - all have major damage.

You would think I would have gotten some reading done but no, we were glued to the Weather Channel.

Glad that everyone is OK. :)

This is my fourth time trying to respond. :huh:

Book list 2016 so far

1. The Blessing Way- Tony Hillerman (mystery series with Navajo Police set mostly in New Mexico where I lived for 4 years)

2. The Girl of His Dreams - Donna Leon (mystery series with Venetian Police. I have visited Venice twice and love the city)

3. Death of a Policeman- M C Beaton (mystry series with middle aged female private detective set in Cotswolds)

4. The Blood of an Englishman - M C Beaton

5. No Man's Nightgale- Ruth Rendell (her last novel, Inspector Wexford is now retired from English policing)

6. Kisscut by Karin Slaughter (mystery series with p/t pediatrician/p/t coroner set in small town Georgia)

7. Dance Hall of the Dead- Tony Hillerman

8. A Thief of Time- Tony Hillerman

9. A Question of Time - Crearin Slaughter

14. Cat's Claw- Susan Wittig Albert (mystery series with Herb store owner solving mysteries in Hill Country, Texas)

15. Widow's Tears- Susan Wittig Albert

16. The Dark Wind- Tony Hillerman

17. People of Darkness- Tony Hillerman

18. Hunting Badger- Tony Hillerman

19. The Fallen Man- Tony Hillerman

20. Death at La Fenice- Donna Leon

21. Some Buried Treasure- Nero Wolfe (an old mystery series set in NY)

22. Go Down Moses- William Faulkner

23. Winesburg, Ohio- Sherwood Anderson

24. All Creatures Great and Small- James Herriot

25. Poisoned Pins- Joan Hess (mystery series with female bookstore owner in small town Arkansas solving crimes)

26. Skeleton Man- Tony Hillerman

27. The First Eagle- Tony Hillerman

28. Sinister Pig- Tony Hillerman

29 The Shape Shifter- Tony Hillerman

30. Driving Heat - Richard Castle (NYPD female detective)

31. Something in the Water- by Charlotte MacLeod (mystery series with botany professor set in New England)un

32. Thunderstruck- Eric Larson

33. Gator Ade- Jessica Speart-   (mystery series set in New Orleans area with female National Fish and Wildlife inspector)

34. Death Prone- Claire Curzon (mystery series ith Thames Valley Police)

35. Halsey and the Dead Ringer (mystery series set in Marin County, CA with independently wealthy male detective)

36. Moving is Murder- Sara Rosett (mystery series with USAF wife solving murders)

So I am a bit behind but hope to catch up.

Have you read one of Anne Hillerman's books yet? I listened to one last week but haven't read any of her father's books in years so my memory of the series wasn't very clear. I think she did a pretty good job of continuing where her dad left off. This is one where I didn't care for the narrator that much but couldn't find anything else better, at least it was a book I wanted to read. :lol: I may have to go back and reread this series at some stage.

• Like 7

Well, things took an unexpected turn here. For the past few days, our news and weather stations had been telling us Matthew wouldn't affect this area that much. It was supposed to turn out to sea before it got here. We will only get some rain out of it they said. My daughter decided they didn't need to come. She went to work last night (night shift). In fact this whole area was pretty relaxed about it because of how the media had been handling the weather over the last few days. Late yesterday, that changed. We had not been watching the news. The storm move further north than they had been predicting. My daughter is stranded at work. The whole tidewater area is flooded or under flood warnings. She tried to leave work and encountered a flotilla of pumpkins. Her husband and son are stranded at home with water lapping their doors. We are in a high area but won't be going anywhere because all around us conditions are impassable.

• Like 11

Well, things took an unexpected turn here. For the past few days, our news and weather stations had been telling us Matthew wouldn't affect this area that much. It was supposed to turn out to sea before it got here. We will only get some rain out of it they said. My daughter decided they didn't need to come. She went to work last night (night shift). In fact this whole area was pretty relaxed about it because of how the media had been handling the weather over the last few days. Late yesterday, that changed. We had not been watching the news. The storm move further north than they had been predicting. My daughter is stranded at work. The whole tidewater area is flooded or under flood warnings. She tried to leave work and encountered a flotilla of pumpkins. Her husband and son are stranded at home with water lapping their doors. We are in a high area but won't be going anywhere because all around us conditions are impassable.

I hope the water recedes quickly though I looked at the Weather Channel this morning and it still seems to be raining.

• Like 7

I haven't read either of the two books Anne Hillerman wrote yet. I am working through the Tony Hillerman books mostly in order of writing and then I will move on to Anne Hillerman. I read a number of the Tony Hillerman books before but it was about 15 years ago so I am rereading the ones I read and reading for the first time the ones I didn't.

• Like 8

I can just imagine the pumpkins!

We,re getting rain and wind here that appears to be the top edge of a band stretching between you and me.

Stay safe!

Nan

• Like 7

We wish we cold take some of the water from you. The only effects we got was wind which just made the fires worse. A very large section of my state is in extreme drought. Part of it is in exceptional drought, the worse category. At least our city gets water from the Tennessee River and while it is probably lower in volume, it is still a huge river. I have been watering a lot and have started trying to water our woods. We aren't expecting any chance of rain until at least ten days from now and we haven't had any this month and very little last month too. Our area normally gets over 50 inches a year.

• Like 10

We wish we cold take some of the water from you. The only effects we got was wind which just made the fires worse. A very large section of my state is in extreme drought. Part of it is in exceptional drought, the worse category. At least our city gets water from the Tennessee River and while it is probably lower in volume, it is still a huge river. I have been watering a lot and have started trying to water our woods. We aren't expecting any chance of rain until at least ten days from now and we haven't had any this month and very little last month too. Our area normally gets over 50 inches a year.

Wow. I wish we could send you some of our water. It's crazy how too much or too little are both big problems.

• Like 8

I tried to read her book , The World Between Two Covers:Reading the Globe, at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016, but I just had to abandon it about halfway through. The book was so very dry and mostly about the state of publishing worldwide. I had hoped it would mainly be about the books. I think her list is interesting, but several of her books were mailed to her by translators and authors and are not currently available to the general public in English.

My oldest dd and I are doing a read-around-the-world year of sorts this year, but I think we are going to have to mix settings with authors, and we probably won't hit half the countries of the world. We spent some time reading from the American South, where we live, and now we're headed to Canada, with Barry Lopez's Arctic Dreams. My dd is a dedicated birder and plans to major in biology next year when she goes to college, so we will probably mix in a fair amount of nature writing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right about how hard it is to source the titles she mentioned. I'd like to do a little more reading around the world, but will be doing well to get each continent represented. And, how cool about your daughter-the-birder. My spouse and son are avid birders as well and at this moment are tramping around a wild life refuge two states away trying to add more species to their year lists.

Hope flood waters recede soon! We're getting the same weather as Nan with higher winds expected later in the day, though none of it is from Matthew.

Once, I'm so glad your daughter made it home safely. :grouphug:

It really is amazing the accuracy of many of the weather predictions we can get on a day to day basis which makes it all the more devastating when they are wrong. Especially extreme weather. Just the little stuff like my laundry gets caught out on the line all the time because I believe that the rain won't start until a certain time and go run errands! I think I have way too much faith in the predictions.

• Like 8

Oh no! I"m sorry you had to deal with that, though I'm glad to see from your later post that your daughter is home and safe. There was a pumpkin flotilla in St. Augustine, which got the brunt of Matthew in Florida (they got what was forecast for my area). People here are talking about how we dodged a bullet but we all recognize that the bullet still hit somewhere.

My library Kindle copy of World of Trouble (final Last Policeman novel) is in. I downloaded it, but I'm really into The Sunne in Splendour right now. I usually like flipping around and reading more than one book but I don't want to put this one down in favor of anything else.

• Like 11

I probably should wait for the new week and I might even repost on the new thread, but I can't decide on my next audio book. I have an Audible credit and I like to get a book that costs more than my monthly membership fee. 

Four that fit my price requirement on my wish list are: Twelve Years a Slave, Belgravia, Ways to Disappear, and Anna Karenina. I've read the last one but never listened to it. The others are all books I'd like to read but I don't know if they'll be good as audio books. Even after listening to the samples I'm unsure. Any suggestions or recommendations for something else are welcome.

I only linked two because I feel the others are well known enough not to need a link.

• Like 7

You know, I started to listen to Anna Karenina, but I quickly realized that it wasn't going to be a good candidate for listening.  I can't put my finger on it exactly - something about the pacing or the tone or maybe it just wasn't a good fit between the reader and the material. I generally like audio books but there are a few books that just don't work for me in that format.  AK was one of them.  FWIW,

• Like 8