• The forehead
    • The mouth
    • The eyes
    • Okay, so it's a full-face gesture, but mostly it's the forehead
    • Okay, so it's a full-face gesture, but mostly it's the mouth
    • Okay, so it's a full-face gesture, but mostly it's the eyes
    • I have no idea
    • Other
  2. 2. What feeling does a frown primarily denote?

• Sadness
    • Anger
    • Disapproval
    • Concentration
    • Frustration
    • I have no idea
    • Other
  3. 3. Please list ALL feelings which can be expressed by frowning

• Sadness
    • Anger
    • Disapproval
    • Concentration
    • Frustration
    • Other

Apparently, there is some British/American disagreement over the subject. Brits are more likely to think frowns are in the forehead and denote anger. Americans are more likely to think frowns are in the mouth and denote sadness. At this point, all I know is that the word "frown" looks very silly when you see it typed out a bazillion times.

(It's worth reading the comments both at MetaFilter and Separated By a Common Language, btw.)

• Like 1

I split the difference - I think the action of a frown is in the forehead, muscles around the eyes and brows, and mouth. If one component was missing it wouldn't be a 'frown'. I'd say it denotes negative emotion like upset, but it could be tinged with sadness or anger.

Expressions are tricky things :p

I think it's a multipurpose word that can denote various facial expressions linked to a variety of emotions. I guess the puckered forehead angry look could definitely also be called a scowl. However the word frown is used in the phrase "frowned upon" which definitely denotes disapproval not sadness.

• Like 1

Although, as an American, the notion is that the mouth frowns mainly, my thoughtful response was "forehead mainly." Also, American norms say frown denotes sadness, but it's really more of an anger/disapproval/contempt expression. In America, we say, "turn that frown upside-down," as if it is mainly in the mouth and mainly sadness, but honestly, who frowns when sad?

I would say a furrowed brow with no other trace of contempt on the face is concentration, which hints that the forehead does not carry ALL of the expression.

Eta: typo

Edited by Quill

I didn't take it as snark.  I took it as a self-depreciating, gently humorous comment.

Frowns are in the forehead. 

They do not indicate sadness. 

They indicate frustration or disapproval mostly.  When my computer won't work the way I want, my forehead puckers and I am frowning.  When someone says they're going to go out cat hunting my forehead puckers with extreme disapproval.

(No one has ever actually told me they were going cat hunting.  But if they did, I would be full of disapproval.  I would frown at them.)

I can easily frown without any mouth movement at all.  I would say the mouth is a tiny part of a frown, if any.

• Like 3

This is so interesting to me, because when I was younger I always wondered where the symbol for a frown face came from when that didn't look like anything anyone actually did.  Most of us don't make that shape with our mouths unintentionally.

If you google frown and look at images, all the images with the downward mouth look totally fake and forced.  No one I have ever seen does a downward mouth like that. It really seems to me mostly in the forehead.

This is so interesting to me, because when I was younger I always wondered where the symbol for a frown face came from when that didn't look like anything anyone actually did.  Most of us don't make that shape with our mouths unintentionally.

If you google frown and look at images, all the images with the downward mouth look totally fake and forced.  No one I have ever seen does a downward mouth like that. It really seems to me mostly in the forehead.

In most frowns, I would describe the mouth as tight or compressed, maybe even pursed in some people.  But there is that kind of frowny looking mouth that seems to have a lot to do with lines on the face.  I'm not sure that is really people who frown more, or just look like they do.

• Like 1

I think of frowns as a full face gesture using mostly the mouth, but sometimes it is more in the forehead.

I also think a frown can indicate a range of emotions including but not limited to sadness, anger, disapproval, frustration, irritation, and concentration. In determining which emotion is being shown you need to look at the forehead with the mouth.

Apparently, there is some British/American disagreement over the subject. Brits are more likely to think frowns are in the forehead and denote anger. Americans are more likely to think frowns are in the mouth and denote sadness. At this point, all I know is that the word "frown" looks very silly when you see it typed out a bazillion times.

(It's worth reading the comments both at MetaFilter and Separated By a Common Language, btw.)

Brit here.  Forehead.  Disapproval mostly, perhaps frustration and anger.  I don't connect the word with mouth shape or with sadness.