Menu

Independent workbook curriculums that are good?

MouseBandit

I am having a very hard time dealing with it, but the fact is, I am needing an open-and-go, independent workbook style curriculum, at least for a while.  Life is changing again, and our time factor has gone to almost zilch.  My 8-yr-old dd can read really well independently, and follow written directions, and I'm looking for something for her (2nd-3rd grade levels) that she can do on her own. 

The only curriculum I can think of off the top of my head is AO Lifepacs.  Are there any others?  THANKS!!!

mousebandit

Explode the code

Critical Thinking Company Logic Books

Maybe ELTL

We haven't started SOTW yet but what about getting the CD and activity book?

Science? I know it's pretty hated (if you haven't heard of it the book is pretty clunky as far as writing goes) but Sassafrass could be read by her and then she could fill in the log book. You can get extra library books for the different topics.

I love MP Enrichment, what about looking at their curriculum guides? Maybe there would be things she could and check off on her own like a lit study.

EvanMoore books

BrainQuest

Comprehensive Curriculum

Mr. Q Science, aside from the labs

Pandia Press's History Odyssey is easily done independently. If you can take half an hour to go through it once and cross out stuff you don't want them to do, they can complete it on their own. That's what I do, and it works well.

I am loving CLE math. Wish I would have gone this route sooner.

We like rod and staff spelling. Ditto above.

We are also liking English lessons through literature and with the workbooks especially is independent enough for our tastes and still thorough.

Don't feel like using a resource like this is less than creating your own thing. I tried for years more than a decade actually and now that we are using the above I see what my older kids really were missing from my hodge lodge that I thought was better than the dreaded workbooks. There is a reason these curriculums are highly regarded. They are good and get the job done. And many are designed for a one room schoolhouse type situation which is basically a homeschool. So use them and feel good about giving your child a great, solid education.

• Like 4

I think you might consider the ACE curriculum. It is not one that I would generally use or recommend but with the specifications of what you were looking for this definitely something I would consider.

I would also suggest the CLE program.

I hope things work out for you and that you find what you need.

Sorry things are difficult right now. Hope it gets better quickly.

One thought is to also have a basket of supplemental activities that the student can enjoy as some variety to workbooks -- art supplies for exploring with; science kits; math manipulatives and booklets; history sticker books or hands-on items; audiobooks to listen to; access to DVDs or online streaming of science and history shows...

Here are 2 complete, workbook-based programs: Rod and Staff  Christian Light Education. And here are some individual subject workbooks that are worth a look:

Grammar

- Growing with Grammar, level 2

Writing

- 4 Square Writing

Math

- Horizons, grade 2 or grade 3

Science

- Exploration Science: Elementary -- done solo by the student; computer CD lesson, followed by worksheets and hands-on

- Magic School Bus kits -- plus, watch episodes via DVD or streaming

- Complete Book of Science, grade 2 or grade 3

History

- Abeka History/Geography, grade 2 -- textbook written to the student; have a basket of supplements for hands-on, and watch Liberty's Kids (or other US History-related videos) from DVD or streaming -- I would NOT worry about having written output

Geography

- MCP Maps, Charts & Graphs level B and level C

- Complete Book of Maps & Geography (gr. 3-6) -- may want to wait until next year for this one

Logic/Critical Thinking

- games, mazes, word searches, etc.

- Puzzlemania

- Critical Thinking Activities in Patterns, Imagery, Logic

- Logic Safari

Art

- to keep down the "workbook-y-ness", I'd go with a basket of art supplies, some art kits, and some crafts that DD can do all on her own that are hands-on, rather than drawing (which is a lot like writing in a workbook)

- Big Yellow Drawing Book

- Mark Kistler Draw Squad

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I am having a very hard time dealing with it, but the fact is, I am needing an open-and-go, independent workbook style curriculum, at least for a while.  Life is changing again, and our time factor has gone to almost zilch.  My 8-yr-old dd can read really well independently, and follow written directions, and I'm looking for something for her (2nd-3rd grade levels) that she can do on her own. 

The only curriculum I can think of off the top of my head is AO Lifepacs.  Are there any others?  THANKS!!!

mousebandit

ACE, Christian Light, and Alpha Omega are all similar in format.

Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling, and Winning with Writing are all meant to be done independently (except for spelling tests). Wordly Wise is good for vocabulary and also has a read-and-answer-the-questions exercise each week, We've used Evan-More and Scholastic workbooks to fill in gaps, and Evan More has workboosk that address some history/science topics. For history, if your child likes to read they could use SOTW and add to a timeline (writing on hole-punched index cards would let you make your own 'world history').

• 2 weeks later...

As I have watched things change over the years, and the revisions and such, for a complete curriculum, I'd have to recommend Alpha-Omega above CLE and ACE, most of the time.

For individual subjects, probably the Amish Climbing to Good English and Study Time math, Evan Moore Daily Science, Evan Moore Geography, and I'm not sure what for history and reading/lit if it must be workbooks. Personally I would just let the kid read if they were doing workbooks for everythng else, to break it up.

Like Hunter said. She is 8. How about workbooks/computer based for maths and language arts plus a basket of books and several times set aside for reading. She could narrate something she liked to you or just talk to you about her reading in the car or at meals etc.

TT for math (so mom doesn't even have to grade, just check progress), CLE for other stuff. Or, even easier for the student, is Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling, etc. CLE gets pretty intense. Then just have her read for social studies and literature (pick some books from the Sonligt/bookshark lists) and watch documentaries for science. Curiosity.com streaming is about $5 a month and all documentaries, or netflix has a lot. 

• Like 1

Zaner Bloser Grammar Usage Mechanics (GUM), a good math workbook like Kumon, Spectrum, etc.  You could even use Horizon or Teaching Textbooks possibly.  SOTW on audio cd would be ok or a booklist she can read through independently, some science kits from Magic School Bus or just some good library books and dvds.  You may look at some co-op type classes too.  The key thing at this age is to make sure she sticks with reading every day and does math.  Get some good literature more than tons of workbooks.