Menu

S/O what would you eexpectif a dog damaged your vehicle?

moonsong

The other thread had me curious

I was working for a lady. When I drove into her driveway. Her dog jumped on my car leaving quite a few scratches. I told the owner and asked her to please keep the dog penned next time. I got an acknowledgement that the dog would be penned when I came but otherwise no apology or anything else. Wwyd if you were on either end of this?

Pet owners are responsible for damage caused by their pets.  She needs to offer to repair it.

I would feel badly and offer to take care of it.  If I, my children, or my pets damage someone else's property, I need to be responsible.

• Like 2

Well, if I were the dog owner, I'd willingly cover your costs for repair. BUT, if you worked for me, then I would either fire you or require that you not drive onto my property for future tasks/jobs. When I hire people to work for me, I expect them to make my life easier, and remembering to keep my dog penned up (assuming I didn't already do so) would be a PITA, and so I'd find someone easier to handle. I'd also be irritated at the request for coverage of what *I* consider very minor and "shit happens" sort of thing. I'd think it was petty and I'd be wary of future more serious liabilities of having someone on my property who appeared to be looking for a way to cash in. 

So, my advice is that if you like the job and want to continue, to park elsewhere and walk to her home . . . or take a bus . . . or get a ride . . . or else be willing to eat the costs of the repairs (or just live with the scratches). I would NOT say anything about it or her dog in the future -- because, IME as an employer, making your boss's life more difficult is an express pass to being let go. So, I'd either quit or I'd take the job for what it is -- and that includes a dog that may scratch up your car.

If you want to quit anyway, then I guess there is no harm is asking for her to pay for the damages. If you want to do that, then go get an estimate, and politely hand it to her next time you come to work. She should cheerfully pay for it . . . I would if that happened to me . . . But, then I'd fire you. :( 

If it were me and my car, I'd never ask someone to cover damage from something as commonplace as a dog jumping on the car a bit. If they smashed into my car causing $$$$ of damage with a tractor or something, then, of course, I'd need it fixed. But, scratches . . . meh . . . they happen. On a new car, it'd make me sad. But, eventually all cars get scratches, so I'd let it slide. 

• Like 7

Well, if I were the dog owner, I'd willingly cover your costs for repair. BUT, if you worked for me, then I would either fire you or require that you not drive onto my property for future tasks/jobs. When I hire people to work for me, I expect them to make my life easier, and remembering to keep my dog penned up (assuming I didn't already do so) would be a PITA, and so I'd find someone easier to handle. I'd also be irritated at the request for coverage of what *I* consider very minor and "shit happens" sort of thing. I'd think it was petty and I'd be wary of future more serious liabilities of having someone on my property who appeared to be looking for a way to cash in. 

So, my advice is that if you like the job and want to continue, to park elsewhere and walk to her home . . . or take a bus . . . or get a ride . . . or else be willing to eat the costs of the repairs (or just live with the scratches). I would NOT say anything about it or her dog in the future -- because, IME as an employer, making your boss's life more difficult is an express pass to being let go. So, I'd either quit or I'd take the job for what it is -- and that includes a dog that may scratch up your car.

If you want to quit anyway, then I guess there is no harm is asking for her to pay for the damages. If you want to do that, then go get an estimate, and politely hand it to her next time you come to work. She should cheerfully pay for it . . . I would if that happened to me . . . But, then I'd fire you. :(

If it were me and my car, I'd never ask someone to cover damage from something as commonplace as a dog jumping on the car a bit. If they smashed into my car causing $$$$ of damage with a tractor or something, then, of course, I'd need it fixed. But, scratches . . . meh . . . they happen. On a new car, it'd make me sad. But, eventually all cars get scratches, so I'd let it slide. 

Interesting perspective as an employer that I hadn't thought of.

Your basic idea is how I feel about the door dings thread.

• Like 1

I never asked for compensation nor would I accept had it been offered. This dog hurts me by jumping on me every time I come steals my supplies and runs off with them the jumping and scratching my car happened more than once. I usually do just deal but the dog was making it to where either they deal with it or I would have quit. I guess I don't think it's unreasonable to keep the dog penned once every two wks.
  • Like 6

I never asked for compensation nor would I accept had it been offered. This dog hurts me by jumping on me every time I come steals my supplies and runs off with them the jumping and scratching my car happened more than once. I usually do just deal but the dog was making it to where either they deal with it or I would have quit. I guess I don't think it's unreasonable to keep the dog penned once every two wks.

so, look for another job and let the owner know why. that is an ill mannered dog and if you've required medical care for the dog jumping on you, - give her the bill.

if this is just a super boisterous dog as opposed to an aggressive dog - you can try grabbing it's front paws as. soon. as. it. jumps. on you. then, don't let go.  tell it what a nice doggie it is (in a syrupy voice) for at least a minute.  that dog will be looking for way to get down within three seconds.   dogs don't' jump on me twice. . . . (still laugh at the akita who came bounding up to me all ready to jump on my shoulders - he was on his hind legs - and realized who I was.  he pivoted on his hind legs so he'd go down on the ground instead of me.  I was happy to pet him while he was on the ground.)

• Like 1

Well, if I were the dog owner, I'd willingly cover your costs for repair. BUT, if you worked for me, then I would either fire you or require that you not drive onto my property for future tasks/jobs. When I hire people to work for me, I expect them to make my life easier, and remembering to keep my dog penned up (assuming I didn't already do so) would be a PITA, and so I'd find someone easier to handle.  

This incident aside, you sound like someone I wouldn't want to work for anyway.  "My way or the highway" employers are the worst and not worth the effort.  I don't even care for them as friends personally.

Even your wording of "I'd find someone easier to handle" shows me extreme disrespect for the employee as a person.  They are merely a tool.  No thank you.  Do your job yourself.  Money isn't everything and I feel for those who have to stoop low enough to put up with such behavior in order to get money.  I hope they can find better jobs!

Asking someone to keep an active dog penned up while they are working on your (generic your) property is a very simple request and one that is made OFTEN so that problems of any sort are avoided.  Dogs definitely cause damage and sometimes one ends up with "why I have no idea why they bit you!!!"  :glare:  Those events occur way too often.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 26

This incident aside, you sound like someone I wouldn't want to work for anyway.  "My way or the highway" employers are the worst and not worth the effort.  I don't even care for them as friends personally.

Even your wording of "I'd find someone easier to handle" shows me extreme disrespect for the employee as a person.  They are merely a tool.  No thank you.  Do your job yourself.  Money isn't everything and I feel for those who have to stoop low enough to put up with such behavior in order to get money.  I hope they can find better jobs!

Yes.  Personally, I don't think dog scratches on a car are a big deal - I live in the countryside and have to force my car into a hedge often in order to pass another car on a narrow lane, so scratches happen.  On the other hand, I find the kind of employer attitude described to be appalling.

• Like 17

Yes.  Personally, I don't think dog scratches on a car are a big deal - I live in the countryside and have to force my car into a hedge often in order to pass another car on a narrow lane, so scratches happen.  On the other hand, I find the kind of employer attitude described to be appalling.

Whether dog scratches (or dings) are a big deal or not totally depends upon the level of damage, the condition of the car, and where one lives.  I didn't comment on either thread because there is no single correct answer.

An old beat up clunker in the desert?  Definitely not an issue.  Brand new car with deep scratches going through the paint and in a wet area?  Very big deal.

The attitude that "I'm paying you so deal with my special snowflake who is really an untrained oaf," - a major "wow!"  But I know it happens often among those who feel their wealth should grant them anything they want. Nothing anyone else has or is concerned about matters.  It's all about them.  They control the money, after all, so "bow down!"  I just despise that attitude.  I prefer teams - not dictators - and teams tend to work the best for all IME.

• Like 17

I'm wondering if Stephanie's perspective is skewed because she works in an animal industry, (a vet? Spouse of a vet I think?) so for her world, dogs and their antics are an expected part of the job. Asking to not deal with animals while working in the vet industry WOULD be annoying. However, if you are a realtor or house painter, no, you should NOT have to put up with a dog jumping on you or your car. 

At the vet clinics I've worked at, I wouldn't think twice about having cat scratches on my arms, dog pee on my uniform, etc. However, that same stuff would not have been acceptable to me if I was say, looking at houses to buy or attending a childbirth class or whatever. (trying to think of reasons I personally would visit someone's home.)

• Like 8

Whether dog scratches (or dings) are a big deal or not totally depends upon the level of damage, the condition of the car, and where one lives. I didn't comment on either thread because there is no single correct answer.

An old beat up clunker in the desert? Definitely not an issue. Brand new car with deep scratches going through the paint and in a wet area? Very big deal.

The attitude that "I'm paying you so deal with my special snowflake who is really an untrained oaf," - a major "wow!" But I know it happens often among those who feel their wealth should grant them anything they want. Nothing anyone else has or is concerned about matters. It's all about them. They control the money, after all, so "bow down!" I just despise that attitude. I prefer teams - not dictators - and teams tend to work the best for all IME.

Ok. I've just had an epiphany about my privilege in this scenario. Which is hypothetical because I have never had an employee nor do I have a dog. I did "like" Stephanie's post because it did read "fair" to me. But I see now how that isn't fair. Thanks.

• Like 4

You'd fire someone because they're not OK with your poorly trained animal damaging their vehicle? As a dog owner, it is MY responsibility to train my dog appropriately. Jumping on people (which the OP mentions in a later post) and damaging property (even if you don't think the particular type of damage is a big deal) is not OK behavior.

ETA: You seem from your other posts to be a considerate employer. But if you didn't have a vet practice and were hiring people, I'd hope you'd make it known as a condition of employment that you wouldn't be responsible for damage caused by an unruly dog if they pulled into your driveway. Or at least that you were compensating them appropriately for the additional risk you were expecting them to take on a regular basis for the privilege of working for you. That only seems fair if you expect them not to be upset at having a vehicle for which they may well have paid tens of thousands of dollars damaged by your pet.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 6

I will ask this one question:  Did she expect you at that time?

I have a dog that bit the substitute postal worker's tires.  He popped them.

We had asked they NOT make deliveries.

They disregarded.

We felt bad.  We paid for the tires.  But there is a part of me that says - my dog obeys my electric line, he didn't come over it uninvited, and I specifically asked that you all STOP making deliveries - repeatedly.

So my question becomes: Did she know the time you were coming and expect you?  And did you have a dog in your vehicle?  (If so, did she know you had a dog?)

• Like 1

I will ask this one question:  Did she expect you at that time?

I have a dog that bit the substitute postal worker's tires.  He popped them.

We had asked they NOT make deliveries.

They disregarded.

We felt bad.  We paid for the tires.  But there is a part of me that says - my dog obeys my electric line, he didn't come over it uninvited, and I specifically asked that you all STOP making deliveries - repeatedly.

So my question becomes: Did she know the time you were coming and expect you?  And did you have a dog in your vehicle?  (If so, did she know you had a dog?)

That's really a different scenario. You warned them. They disregarded your request. That's kind of like volunteering for trouble on their part especially if the area was visibly posted. You were generous to pay for the tires even though in that case I wouldn't think you were obligated.

The OP's situation sounds different.Now if the employer warned her in advance that the dog was unruly and liked to jump on cars, then pulling into the driveway was done at the OP's risk. But I didn't read the situation that way.

• Like 3

To be honest, I am leaning towards agreeing with Stephanie. If it was me, I would decline to work for person with the dog if this is a continuing problem as you describe. The dog owner can choose to change or find someone else for the job.

On the other hand, if I was the dog owner, I probably would find some one else for the job.

• Like 2

I don't see how you having a poorly trained animal would be the fault of your employee.

• Like 9

We crate our dogs when anyone is coming to do work at our house. Most people ask before coming inside. We had an 11 year old dog who still looked intense but just wanted to sleep. I leashed her or kept her in another room when anyone was uncomfortable with dogs. One cable guy was terrified of her. We now have a hyperactive/anxious Golden who's nuts. I wouldn't expect someone coming to do anything other than dog-related services to deal with my crazy dog. Who enjoys being hurt by a dog or having their vehicles damaged? Please come clean my house in an armored vehicle and full body protective gear because good luck!

• Like 6

I don't see how you having a poorly trained animal would be the fault of your employee.

It's not the fault of the employee. It's simply that if I hired someone to come to my house, with all my crazy animals, then they'd need to be comfortable with the animals and not bring things on the property that would be damaged. 

I have quite a few employees that have been working for us very happily for many years. 10+ years  in several cases. We *very* rarely have folks leave for avoidable reasons. I have employees who come back years later (one returning next week) from far away or from time off to have babies or whatever . . . In fact, that returning employee who comes back next week has worked in the vet industry for 10-15 years, for many employers. She worked for us for 3-4 years, then went away out of state for her dh's job, and is now returning after 3 years out of state. We gleefully agreed to rehire her . . . and when I commented that hopefully she'd have some new tricks of the trade/skills/ideas to bring back to us (from her last 3 years at another practice), she replied that the only thing she was bringing back was a deep appreciation for how fantastic we are as employers and what a great team we have. I have several other former employees (out of state now) who lament frequently that they can't still work for us because of the positive work environment we have. We are incredibly responsive and flexible and kind to our staff. We appreciate them. We respect them. They respect us. 

I've also had many household hires mostly due to having to hire extensive in home help to assist with my mother when she had Alzheimer's. I've never had a problem with any of them not being happy as our employee. We've never damaged their stuff. When they broke our stuff and would be incredibly fearful and apologetic (due to, presumably, a long history of similar situations when employers were mean) and offering to pay for the new phone or whatever, we, without fail, said "no worries, it happens, no sweat!" We voluntarily paid THREE MONTHS severance to my mom's private duty aide when mom died, so she could take her time in finding just the right position. We had zero obligation to do that. We did it because it was the right thing to do. We are not assholes; we are, however, adults who take responsibility for our own stuff and don't go looking to cash in on any opportunity to get a few bucks from someone. 

I was giving my perspective as an employer (which I've gotten trashed for in other threads, whatever) because I think it's helpful to employees to understand the boss's perspective for their best interest. I've been an employee plenty of times. Worked FT summers from age 14. . . . I teach my kids what I learned as an employee and what I know to be true as an employer . . . Your #1 job is to make your boss's life easier. Unless it is unethical, immoral, etc, you do whatever you need to do to make their life easier. In fact, at our vet hospital, we teach our staff that our employers are actually our clients, so we all do whatever we can to make our clients' lives easier.

In life, lots of people get fired. It happens. IMHO, lots of the time, it's because folks don't get that concept of making life easier for the boss. Lots of people can assemble widgets. Fewer can do so while not whining about petty things or causing drama. Fewer still can assemble the widgets, be drama free, and cheerfully fix the broken handle on the cabinet or wipe down the client bathroom, etc as needed. Being willing to do whatever is (reasonably) needed to make your boss's life easier is a very valuable trait.

To me, making the boss's life easier would be the employee with the car with a really nice paint job choosing to park somewhere off the property instead of where the dogs are. (Or some other alternative transportation that doesn't require asking the boss to do something.)

As far as me firing an in home employee who asked for payment for minor, predictable damage that was caused by my dog . . . I've got 3 kids. I've got 3 dogs. Before Mom died, I used to have a flock of aides and my mom with dementia wandering around. And construction workers. If I hired someone to come clean the house . . . I most likely wouldn't be home when they were here. It is a major PITA to keep a dog locked up in a manner that you aren't used to, because any random kid, spouse, grandma, grandma's aide, the mail man, whoever, might un-do whatever effort I put into locking the dog up. Heck, we have a fully fenced yard, and still have issues with a kid leaving the gate open, etc. So, no, if my dogs were a problem for you, I wouldn't want you working at my house. I've got enough crap to keep track of, and I don't need more trouble. When we hired in home help over the years, everyone knew about the dogs, cats, etc. If they weren't comfortable, then they didn't take the job. Dealing with my pets and my kids and my crazy mom and my messes were part of the job. No one made them take the job. If they don't want the job, no problem. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 3

You'd fire someone because they're not OK with your poorly trained animal damaging their vehicle? As a dog owner, it is MY responsibility to train my dog appropriately. Jumping on people (which the OP mentions in a later post) and damaging property (even if you don't think the particular type of damage is a big deal) is not OK behavior.

ETA: You seem from your other posts to be a considerate employer. But if you didn't have a vet practice and were hiring people, I'd hope you'd make it known as a condition of employment that you wouldn't be responsible for damage caused by an unruly dog if they pulled into your driveway. Or at least that you were compensating them appropriately for the additional risk you were expecting them to take on a regular basis for the privilege of working for you. That only seems fair if you expect them not to be upset at having a vehicle for which they may well have paid tens of thousands of dollars damaged by your pet.

LOL, *my* dogs don't damage anyone's cars. They are loud, but not destructive. Household staff have always known about our loud, obnoxious, hairy pets. My dogs aren't allowed in the front where the driveway is. If I lived on lots of acreage and had loose dogs, though, then dealing with them would be part of any household job. I've never had to fire anyone because of this particular type of situation. I was just stating a general principle, and I have, for sure, fired plenty of people for creating drama (generally with other employees, not with myself). There are lots of little things that go into the "making life easier for the boss" thing . . . getting along with other staff, being cheerful, resourceful, reliable, flexible . . . Those sorts of "soft skills" are nearly impossible to train. We've learned to hire for those skills and train the technical skills. Works for us. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Stephanie's perspective is skewed because she works in an animal industry, (a vet? Spouse of a vet I think?) so for her world, dogs and their antics are an expected part of the job. Asking to not deal with animals while working in the vet industry WOULD be annoying. However, if you are a realtor or house painter, no, you should NOT have to put up with a dog jumping on you or your car. 

At the vet clinics I've worked at, I wouldn't think twice about having cat scratches on my arms, dog pee on my uniform, etc. However, that same stuff would not have been acceptable to me if I was say, looking at houses to buy or attending a childbirth class or whatever. (trying to think of reasons I personally would visit someone's home.)

Probably correct. I am an employer at a vet hospital, where staff all get hurt periodically as part of the trade (and we have insurance to cover their injuries and take all possible precautions to prevent). And then I've hired people to come to my house as household staff. And my house is loud, messy, full of animals, etc. If you can't handle the craziness of pets, then don't come here, lol.

Would the folks who'd ask for compensation for the dog damage also ask for compensation if a sap-filled tree oozed and dripped and wrecked your paint job (that happened to my mom once in her own driveway)? Personally, I would not. I would never ask for someone to cover any sort of "random" sort of damage like that unless there was such catastrophic damage that injured/killed or totaled a vehicle and that could not be reasonably covered on my own insurance or out of my own pocket.  I'm just not a litigious person, and I don't like the USA norm of so readily looking to cash in on random stuff that could have just as well happened to you at a park, your own house, your mom's house, wherever. Would you try to sue to park department if a loose dog scratched your car at the ball field? Ugh, not me. Stuff happens. Deal with it and move on is my general principle. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 4

I don't find expecting to be compensated or at least apologized to for damage to your own personal property "causing drama."

We had our car scratched badly by some close friend's dog.  We were parked in a lot at a park.  We had arrived first and were far away from the parking lot when they arrived.  They parked next to us and tied their dog to their car.  I have no idea why but the dog apparently jumped up on the side of our car enough and with enough force to create many deep scratches that could not be buffed out.  The car was far from brand new but the scratches were very noticeable and many were deep enough to become rusty.  I was pretty mad.  The friends did. not. get. it.  I did not expect to be compensated.  We live in a no fault state so our own insurance covered the bill.  But I was pretty ticked that they never apologized.  Their own car is 100% trashed from their dog and other neglect.  It is not a priority to them as they replace their cars frequently and have a lot more disposable income than we do.  To them, dog scratches are just part of normal wear and tear.  For us, a car has to last a really REALLY long time and we take very good care of them.  They are not jerks, they just cannot see it the way we do.

We now make sure to never be in that situation.  We refrain from parking our cars anywhere where their dog can get to them while visiting them and have asked them not to bring their dog near our cars (or anything else he might damage) when they are at our house or somewhere public.  They think we are nut jobs.  We think they are careless.  But we can still be friends:)

• Like 4

Would the folks who'd ask for compensation for the dog damage also ask for compensation if a sap-filled tree oozed and dripped and wrecked your paint job (that happened to my mom once in her own driveway)? Personally, I would not. I would never ask for someone to cover any sort of "random" sort of damage like that unless there was such catastrophic damage that injured/killed or totaled a vehicle and that could not be reasonably covered on my own insurance or out of my own pocket.  I'm just not a litigious person, and I don't like the USA norm of so readily looking to cash in on random stuff that could have just as well happened to you at a park, your own house, your mom's house, wherever. Would you try to sue to park department if a loose dog scratched your car at the ball field? Ugh, not me. Stuff happens. Deal with it and move on is my general principle. 

There is a difference between "an act of god" like sap drips, tree limbs falling, hail, sand damage, etc and poorly trained animal (or kid or adult or....) damage.  If your dog bit me on your property, you would likely feel that was your responsibility....or if not, you would be legally responsible.  If you backed into another person's car in your driveway, you would feel responsible.  I don't see the dog-scratches-car issue as any different except that it is likely (but not necessarily) less serious and may not require actual compensation and/or action.  But I do feel an apology would be in order unless there was specific communication before the car was brought onto the property that a dog may cause damage.  

And no, I would not go off and sue the park for dog scratches on a car any more than I would go after the park for hit-and-run damage to my car.  If it were serious enough that is required repair, I would call the police and file a report for my insurance company but that would not have anything to do with the park....unless they had camera footage that could aid the police in identifying the perpetrator.  

• Like 2

I don't find expecting to be compensated or at least apologized to for damage to your own personal property "causing drama."

We had our car scratched badly by some close friend's dog.  We were parked in a lot at a park.  We had arrived first and were far away from the parking lot when they arrived.  They parked next to us and tied their dog to their car.  I have no idea why but the dog apparently jumped up on the side of our car enough and with enough force to create many deep scratches that could not be buffed out.  The car was far from brand new but the scratches were very noticeable and many were deep enough to become rusty.  I was pretty mad.  The friends did. not. get. it.  I did not expect to be compensated.  We live in a no fault state so our own insurance covered the bill.  But I was pretty ticked that they never apologized.  Their own car is 100% trashed from their dog and other neglect.  It is not a priority to them as they replace their cars frequently and have a lot more disposable income than we do.  To them, dog scratches are just part of normal wear and tear.  For us, a car has to last a really REALLY long time and we take very good care of them.  They are not jerks, they just cannot see it the way we do.

We now make sure to never be in that situation.  We refrain from parking our cars anywhere where their dog can get to them while visiting them and have asked them not to bring their dog near our cars (or anything else he might damage) when they are at our house or somewhere public.  They think we are nut jobs.  We think they are careless.  But we can still be friends:)

I would probably not want to see those friends much given how inconsiderate they are.

• Like 2

There is a difference between "an act of god" like sap drips, tree limbs falling, hail, sand damage, etc and poorly trained animal (or kid or adult or....) damage.  If your dog bit me on your property, you would likely feel that was your responsibility....or if not, you would be legally responsible.  If you backed into another person's car in your driveway, you would feel responsible.  I don't see the dog-scratches-car issue as any different except that it is likely (but not necessarily) less serious and may not require actual compensation and/or action.  But I do feel an apology would be in order unless there was specific communication before the car was brought onto the property that a dog may cause damage.  

And no, I would not go off and sue the park for dog scratches on a car any more than I would go after the park for hit-and-run damage to my car.  If it were serious enough that is required repair, I would call the police and file a report for my insurance company but that would not have anything to do with the park....unless they had camera footage that could aid the police in identifying the perpetrator.  

I do generally look at dogs and kids and old ladies as Acts of God, lol. 

• Like 2

This is so weird to me. 

I hang around with dog people but I guess they're different dog people. 

In my world, it's more likely someone would call out & ask you to do some weird thing (like "please stand still and ignore the dog and don't talk at all")  while they worked on some training session.  That happens quite a lot. Suddenly someone realizes hey, great training opportunity. "excuse me, can you just go and slam your car door again? And again? Just a sec. Now again?"  LOL 

I see dogs jump up on cars when they're doing vehicle search in nosework games (especially shorter dogs lol) but the idea that someone would let their dog jump up on a visiting car is just totally alien. It would be like saying "their toddler runs out with scissors in the driveway and stands there drawing in the dust on my car and sometimes using the scissors on it too" 

I don't know what I'd do. I put up with a lot of mess from my dogs & I organize large chunks of my life around them & spend lots of money on them,  but I would be ticked if someone else's out of control dog scratched my car because they didn't recall it or control it. Once, I could understand. More than that & I'd not be visiting any more. 

• Like 4

I did seasonal work for UPS back in the day.  VERY FEW people but still some refused to keep their animals under control.  So they got put on notice and had to come get their packages from UPS Central (which back in the day tended NOT to be convenient).  UPS decided that their employees' well being was more important than losing the business of these customers.  I was very thankful for that.  

If I were a dog owner and didn't want to bear responsibility for my dog's actions, I would tell people to park in the street and to let me know when they were ready to come in so I could control the dog.  And if I were a dog owner, I'd make darned sure my dog wasn't a menace or PITB in the first place.  

But then again, I would have quit working for the OP's employer a long time ago, based on the dog being a PITB for a long time already.

LOL, *my* dogs don't damage anyone's cars. They are loud, but not destructive. Household staff have always known about our loud, obnoxious, hairy pets. My dogs aren't allowed in the front where the driveway is. If I lived on lots of acreage and had loose dogs, though, then dealing with them would be part of any household job. I've never had to fire anyone because of this particular type of situation. I was just stating a general principle, and I have, for sure, fired plenty of people for creating drama (generally with other employees, not with myself). There are lots of little things that go into the "making life easier for the boss" thing . . . getting along with other staff, being cheerful, resourceful, reliable, flexible . . . Those sorts of "soft skills" are nearly impossible to train. We've learned to hire for those skills and train the technical skills. Works for us. 

And hopefully your staff are well aware of any risks they may be taking with their personal property while on your premises. If everyone's cool with it, great. There's no problem.

However, I was stating a general principle, too, with regard to animals causing damage. Not sure what the other stuff you mentioned has to do with that.

If you (general you) have animals that can't be trusted not to jump on and scratch people's vehicles, it is as a matter of common decency to let those who come to your home or business know before an incident happens that they shouldn't park their vehicle in your driveway. If you have an otherwise well-behaved dog that does something uncharacteristic and causes damage, most peope would (I hope) take responsibility, apologize, and offer to repair the damage even if it's to an employee's property. That has nothing to do with having the skills needed to make the boss's life easier. It has everything to do with being a responsible pet owner.

ETA: I do realize you said you'd pay for the damage. However, you also said you'd fire the person for daring to ask. If the incident should not reasonably have been anticipated (i.e. the employee was warned ahead of time to park at her own risk), that comes across as retaliatory. But that's just my opinion. I understand it's not one you share.

• Like 5

I could almost see asking for compensation if the dog was an unknown problem. However, it has been established that this loose dog is part of this job scenario and the situation was foreseeable. It seems that to continue with this situation, you have to cope with a jumpy dog and park elsewhere, learn to dodge, chase down supplies etc. This is just a bad match and I'm not sure if it's worth it in the grand scheme of things. Is this lady your sole income source?

• Like 1

Yeah, not expecting to have to shell out hundreds of dollars to repair damage your boss causes doesn't = bad employee. 

If the boss backs into the employee's car, would the employee get fired for expecting the damage be taken care of? It's the boss's fault, not the employee. Firing employees for the bosses errors or mistakes or bad judgement makes no sense to me. 

• Like 11

When we hired in home help over the years, everyone knew about the dogs, cats, etc. If they weren't comfortable, then they didn't take the job. Dealing with my pets and my kids and my crazy mom and my messes were part of the job. No one made them take the job. If they don't want the job, no problem. 

This would be super important to avoid issues.  If hiring a housekeeper (or whatever) and refusing to control active, aggressive dogs, (or dogs who jump on and scratch cars as in the OP), it's important that anyone considering the job know AHEAD of time so they can decide if they're ok with it.

Win-win in that situation.

It doesn't seem to be the OP's situation though, nor how you said you'd respond to that one.

Again, the situation you are describing is not the OP's situation.  The rest of us are responding to that.  The OP is certainly not "creating drama" by asking that a jumpy, damage-causing, dog be controlled while she is there.  That's 100% normal and done by oodles and oodles of companies and individuals.

Her request is "saving drama" by avoiding damage and/or other issues.

We live on a farm.  We currently have cats, chickens, and ponies.  In the past we've had dogs (trained dogs - no damage - ever).  Whenever anyone is coming over (church, friends, etc) we always let them know ahead of time that we had animals - checking for things like allergies, etc.  We've never had problems at all, but again, that's not the OP's situation.

• Like 4

Like a car?

Well, at my house, we have cars in the driveway and dogs in the back yard or house. 

If I lived on property where the dogs roamed to the driving area, yep, I wouldn't want someone coming there if the normal-for-my-dogs behavior would harm their car. 

I'm not sure what's so difficult about this issue. An employment agreement requires that it work well for both the employer and the employee. Otherwise, the boss fires or the employee quits. And, yes, if I had animals that roamed, then that'd be part of the job.

My mom once drove a rental car to visit old, dear friends who lived off-the-grid on lots of lots acreage in CO. While she was in the house visiting, their horses CHEWED on her rental car, causing lots of damage. Mom drove off, cheerfully, and either her insurance or her pocket paid for the damages to the rental car. I am 100% certain it never occurred to her to ask her old friends to pay for the damage. It never occurred to me, either. Not once in the dozens of times the funny story came up over the years, did anyone think of that . . . I guess my circles just don't run that way. It was a funny story, not one to get worked up about. Animals are nuts. Things happen. 

I guess many folks are just much more comfortable expecting others to pay for random acts of damage to their stuff. I'd just say that I'd rather not have friends (or employees) like that. I avoid it. I wouldn't hire or befriend someone I knew was greedy/litigious in that way. And if I discovered they were, I'd protect myself by avoiding further interaction (by firing or unfriending them).

And, yes, we have insurance to cover these things, but, one or two claims can lose you your policy or double your rates . . . I have insurance to protect ME against crazy things and to protect my finances from devastation from some unpredictable unfortunate event . . .  And one of the more avoidable unfortunate events is having a person on your property who is looking to make a buck off a random accident/incident. 

Edited by StephanieZ

Again, the situation you are describing is not the OP's situation.  The rest of us are responding to that.  The OP is certainly not "creating drama" by asking that a jumpy, damage-causing, dog be controlled while she is there.  That's 100% normal and done by oodles and oodles of companies and individuals.

Her request is "saving drama" by avoiding damage and/or other issues.

We live on a farm.  We currently have cats, chickens, and ponies.  In the past we've had dogs (trained dogs - no damage - ever).  Whenever anyone is coming over (church, friends, etc) we always let them know ahead of time that we had animals - checking for things like allergies, etc.  We've never had problems at all, but again, that's not the OP's situation.

All I knew from the OP was a general concept of her going to the person's house to work.

My personal experience has included having household employees here 7 days a week, for up to 24 hours a day, multiple shifts, multiple staff. (Caring for end stage Alzheimer's at home is a staff intensive endeavor.) So, in MY experience, just locking up my dogs wouldn't have worked. 

From the OP, I have no idea if the home owner/employer has staff coming 7 days a week or this is a once a month thing or what. None of us (other than maybe OP) knows how frequently that employer has employees at their home. 

Let me tell you, when you have employees in your home nearly 24/7, just their presence is incredibly stressful, let alone whatever the terrible reason is that you have employees. When I had staff around that much, I was nearly panicked with just the stress of having all these semi-strangers in my space. Not a happy thing for an introvert. When Mom died, and I no longer required lots of help, I was THRILLED to no longer have cleaning help, as I would MUCH rather clean this huge house by myself than have someone around even weekly, as I hated it. Maybe folks think "household help" and think we're Hiltons or Trumps, but, no, we're regular people who just happened to spend most of our inheritance giving my mom a dignified end of life in our home. So, nope, I would not have anyone hired in my house that needed me to do anything different from my normal routine. If MY routine didn't work for the person, then they shouldn't take the job. Period.

(At our work place, we are more adaptable, because we can LEAVE work at the end of the day, but at home, nope, it is totally my way or the highway for anyone I hire. This is my refuge, and I'm not paying someone to make hassles for me. I'm paying them to reduce my hassles. )

My mom once drove a rental car to visit old, dear friends who lived off-the-grid on lots of lots acreage in CO. While she was in the house visiting, their horses CHEWED on her rental car, causing lots of damage. Mom drove off, cheerfully, and either her insurance or her pocket paid for the damages to the rental car.

oh LOL, this reminded me of a similar story but it was goats & they got into the car that someone had left with windows down and chewed up the upholstery.....   :D 

• Like 1

Yeah, not expecting to have to shell out hundreds of dollars to repair damage your boss causes doesn't = bad employee. 

If the boss backs into the employee's car, would the employee get fired for expecting the damage be taken care of? It's the boss's fault, not the employee. Firing employees for the bosses errors or mistakes or bad judgement makes no sense to me. 

I guess the difference is that you are looking at the crazy dogs as the boss's oversight/misbehavior. I'm looking at it as "this family has crazy dogs and likes it that way and has made it obvious since the OP has previously encountered this similar problem."

*I* wouldn't want to have dogs that damaged cars, because i like my cars undamaged and I wouldn't want my friends (or employees) to have their vehicles damaged, either. But, I am not the boss in the OP's post. Sounds to me like the boss is fine with the crazy dogs. So, that means the boss might be a little crazy. That's fine. You can work for crazy, or you can work around crazy, but trying to change crazy, let alone trying to change crazy in your employer, is even more crazy than the boss who is fine with her dogs habitually damaging vehicles. 

So, to me, that means the OP should choose to quit or adjust her own travel/parking plans. I just do not think it's reasonable to expect your employer to change their lifestyle/habits/family/whatever to adapt to your needs. I'd assume that the boss is just fine with her crazy dogs. So, that'd leave me with the choice to deal with it or quit. 

My mom once drove a rental car to visit old, dear friends who lived off-the-grid on lots of lots acreage in CO. While she was in the house visiting, their horses CHEWED on her rental car, causing lots of damage. Mom drove off, cheerfully, and either her insurance or her pocket paid for the damages to the rental car. I am 100% certain it never occurred to her to ask her old friends to pay for the damage. It never occurred to me, either. Not once in the dozens of times the funny story came up over the years, did anyone think of that . . . I guess my circles just don't run that way. It was a funny story, not one to get worked up about. Animals are nuts. Things happen. 

A friend is a different thing.  I would swallow the cost of a friend's dog, horse, etc. causing damage, or if I hurt myself at their house helping out with DIY, or whatever.  

That's not the same relationship as between an employee and an employer: the latter is business, a contract.  If the employer's inappropriate furniture caused me a repetitive strain injury, or the employer expected me to use a rickety ladder and I fell and hurt myself, I would certainly expect the employer to pay.  

ETA: included in my household insurance is liability for injury to any employee - and that is at it should be.  It wouldn't cover the car, but I'd do that out of pocket.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Well, at my house, we have cars in the driveway and dogs in the back yard or house. 

If I lived on property where the dogs roamed to the driving area, yep, I wouldn't want someone coming there if the normal-for-my-dogs behavior would harm their car. 

I'm not sure what's so difficult about this issue. An employment agreement requires that it work well for both the employer and the employee. Otherwise, the boss fires or the employee quits. And, yes, if I had animals that roamed, then that'd be part of the job.

I guess many folks are just much more comfortable expecting others to pay for random acts of damage to their stuff. I'd just say that I'd rather not have friends (or employees) like that. I avoid it. I wouldn't hire or befriend someone I knew was greedy/litigious in that way. And if I discovered they were, I'd protect myself by avoiding further interaction (by firing or unfriending them).

And, yes, we have insurance to cover these things, but, one or two claims can lose you your policy or double your rates . . . I have insurance to protect ME against crazy things and to protect my finances from devastation from some unpredictable unfortunate event . . .  And one of the more avoidable unfortunate events is having a person on your property who is looking to make a buck off a random accident/incident. 

You said you weren't sure what's so difficult about this issue. Well, I'm feeling the same way. And that's OK because I suspect we'll never agree, so this will be my last comment. Just because an accident is "random" by one person's definition doesn't mean we're still not responsible for fixing it. If my kid is at the park and accidently hits a baseball astray into someone's window, it's an accident but I'm still responsible. The homeowner wanting the window fixed isn't being greedy/litigious. If my dog escapes my fenced yard and digs up a neighbor's landscaping, I'm responsible for replacing/repairing it. If one of my kids careens on his bike and damages someone's parked car, I'm responsible. People wanting damage repaired--or at the very least a measly apology--does not make them people "looking to make a buck off a random accident/incident." Sheesh.

ETA: Fixed misspelling.

• Like 7

Legend has jumped on cars twice.  Once was one a gal came to our house, wanted to meet the dogs and she had a big GS male in her vehicle.  I had *no* idea he jumped on vehicles at the time.  When we let Legend out, he immediately went paws up on the vehicle and got immediately crated for it. :(  It was not good.  I had zero expectation he was going to do this and apologized. We didn't see any damage.

The second time was last week!  He has NEVER jumped on Grandpa and Grandma's vehicles - but he knows the truck, not the car, and his Abigail was calling to him out the window.  Sigh.  We were not happy.

Generally speaking we make sure he is put away when we are expecting someone because he barks and runs in circles and, in general, acts like a pain.

But, I guess the two scenarios are what made me think it could be very unexpected for the owner - if you had a dog in your vehicle OR if she knew her dog was a royal pain but always puts him away and just didn't expect you.  I admit I am annoyed when people randomly stop by - I like my dogs put away for company and I do not keep them put away - it's the reason we underground fenced our acreage, so that they could play and run and be dogs all day long.

BUT, if she knew her dog was likely to do this and she knew that you were coming and you didn't randomly stop by?  Yeah, she's on the hook.  I believe if she knew she is culpable and if she didn't know you were coming... Well, I'm not sure how one keeps one's dogs put away all the time just in case someone stops, kwim?  So my answer really depends....

I guess the difference is that you are looking at the crazy dogs as the boss's oversight/misbehavior. I'm looking at it as "this family has crazy dogs and likes it that way and has made it obvious since the OP has previously encountered this similar problem."

*I* wouldn't want to have dogs that damaged cars, because i like my cars undamaged and I wouldn't want my friends (or employees) to have their vehicles damaged, either. But, I am not the boss in the OP's post. Sounds to me like the boss is fine with the crazy dogs. So, that means the boss might be a little crazy. That's fine. You can work for crazy, or you can work around crazy, but trying to change crazy, let alone trying to change crazy in your employer, is even more crazy than the boss who is fine with her dogs habitually damaging vehicles. 

So, to me, that means the OP should choose to quit or adjust her own travel/parking plans. I just do not think it's reasonable to expect your employer to change their lifestyle/habits/family/whatever to adapt to your needs. I'd assume that the boss is just fine with her crazy dogs. So, that'd leave me with the choice to deal with it or quit. 

The OP says (in the OP) that she's received acknowledgement that the dog will be penned in the future.  If true, that eliminates that problem. ;)

Asking was not inappropriate given the situation.  Quitting wouldn't have been either (esp if the request was refused).

Firing someone because a critter one owns damages someone else's things is where it crosses the line to being out of line, as is calling someone else's thing "not important."  Granted, it may not be important to you (generic you), but it could easily be important to them.  It could be quite costly to them, or just have sentimental value.  You don't get to decide.

Talking the situation over and coming to the conclusion that the employee/employer situation is not a good match (due, in this case, to being unwilling to control the dog if that were true) would be an acceptable solution.

• Like 1

You said you weren't sure what's so difficult about this issue. Well, I'm feeling the same way. And that's OK because I suspect we'll never agree, so this will be my last comment. Just because an accident is "random" by one person's definition doesn't mean we're still not responsible for fixing it. If my kid is at the park and accidently hits a baseball astray into someone's window, it's an accident but I'm still responsible. The homeowner wanting the window fixed isn't being greedy/litigious. If my dog escapes my fenced yard and digs up a neighbor's landscaping, I'm responsible for replacing/repairing it. If one of my kids careens on his bike and damages someone's parked car, I'm responsible. People wanting damage repaired--or at the very least a measly apology--does not make them people "looking to make a buck off a random accident/incident." Sheesh.

ETA: Fixed misspelling.

Yes, I agree that it's good to take responsibility for our accidents. I do. Every time. When my kids (!!!!) hit someone's car, I'm eager and ready to pay the bill. When my kids break something, we replace it. I offer. I pay. 

I know I've already said that I would pay for the damages if asked or if I saw them occur. 

But, I would not ask or expect for someone to pay for damages on MY car. I think it's petty. And greedy. Just not nice. I wouldn't do it. I'd think poorly of someone who did.

The only times I've sought compensation from someone for things have been major car accidents and then that time when some medical staff killed my dad. All the other lumps, bumps, screwups, accidents, etc that we've encountered over the years we've just handled ourselves. Life happens. It's messy. I just don't think it is a good way to live to focus on who should pay for these sorts of things. If it happens to my stuff, I pay for it.

If something happens to someone else's stuff and it's my fault through recklessness, then I'd want to pay for the damage. So far as I recall, this has only been for car accidents in which I (or my kid) was at fault.

I choose not to associate with people who are looking to find fault and find someone to pay for random stuff. It's just annoying and, IMHO, in poor character. Not classy. Whatever, I just don't like it. 

• Like 1

But, I would not ask or expect for someone to pay for damages on MY car. I think it's petty. And greedy. Just not nice. I wouldn't do it. I'd think poorly of someone who did.

The only times I've sought compensation from someone for things have been major car accidents and then that time when some medical staff killed my dad. All the other lumps, bumps, screwups, accidents, etc that we've encountered over the years we've just handled ourselves. Life happens. It's messy. I just don't think it is a good way to live to focus on who should pay for these sorts of things. If it happens to my stuff, I pay for it.

I choose not to associate with people who are looking to find fault and find someone to pay for random stuff. It's just annoying and, IMHO, in poor character. Not classy. Whatever, I just don't like it. 

Did it ever occur to you that there are plenty of people in this world, including our country, who can't "just pay for it?"

Have you ever seen the stats/numbers of those living paycheck to paycheck (or worse)?

Did you ever think that someone doing some of these "menial" jobs just might be in that category and can't afford to have their things destroyed or damaged and "just fix it?"

We can handle "accidents."  Many can't - and no - it isn't necessarily their fault.  They are often working to try to make ends meet.  They don't need clueless employers whose dogs do damage.

• Like 11

Yes, I agree that it's good to take responsibility for our accidents. I do. Every time. When my kids (!!!!) hit someone's car, I'm eager and ready to pay the bill. When my kids break something, we replace it. I offer. I pay. 

I know I've already said that I would pay for the damages if asked or if I saw them occur. 

If something happens to someone else's stuff and it's my fault through recklessness, then I'd want to pay for the damage. So far as I recall, this has only been for car accidents in which I (or my kid) was at fault.

Interesting.  I feel the same about those who either willfully or negligently damage the property of others and don't give two ****s about it.

• Like 9

Just for the record I am their only employee. They got the dog after I started working for them. I only said something after this went on for several months and the dog had done damage to both my vehicles. Again I don't ask for compensation nor would I accept if the owners would have offered. Parking off property isn't doable. I understand not making my problems my employer's which is why I put up with a raccoon in the house following my every move for almost a year and the same family having a loose pigeon in their back porch. If I want the job I deal with the surroundings,but with the dog I couldn't stand having my property damaged and being injured every time I went there. That's why I asked them too keep it penned. If they declined I would have quit. Thankfully they seemed fine with my request. I guess I was surprised by the lack of apology,but as I very well know I am just employee and I don't matter to the employer other than getting the job done that I'm getting paid to do.W which is fine.

• Like 1

Just for the record I am their only employee. They got the dog after I started working for them. I only said something after this went on for several months and the dog had done damage to both my vehicles. Again I don't ask for compensation nor would I accept if the owners would have offered. Parking off property isn't doable. I understand not making my problems my employer's which is why I put up with a raccoon in the house following my every move for almost a year and the same family having a loose pigeon in their back porch. If I want the job I deal with the surroundings,but with the dog I couldn't stand having my property damaged and being injured every time I went there. That's why I asked them too keep it penned. If they declined I would have quit. Thankfully they seemed fine with my request. I guess I was surprised by the lack of apology,but as I very well know I am just employee and I don't matter to the employer other than getting the job done that I'm getting paid to do.W which is fine.

And FTR, you wouldn't be out of line asking them to reimburse you for the things their dog has destroyed.

But yes, there are some ****** employers out there who would fire you over that (very reasonable) request.  Employees have had to put up with everything from jerks to sweatshops over the years because they need the money and know they'll be fired if they dare ask for what is decent and right.

Unfortunately, many people who have money have no concept of what it's like to not be able to fix things.  I'm pretty glad I had the background I've had to be able to see and understand both worlds.

I'm glad the future at this place seems like it will work out as I'm presuming finding another job isn't that easy.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 6

So wait, you'd offer to pay for the damage, but then be upset they actually accepted the payment? 

If you dented their car with your car, same thing? If your kid hit a baseball into their window? 

Yes, letting your dogs damage other people's property is negligence. Period. My dogs, my responsibility. 

• Like 9