Menu

Electric bills?

I was talking to a friend today who saw Oprah a few days ago. She said there was a woman on who unplugged everything they weren't using all the time and cut her electricity bills dramatically. Did anyone see that?

Does anyone here do that? Our electric bill was insane last month, we have to do something. But, I started looking around and to unplug everything would mean moving major furniture every single day several times a day. Given that we are home nearly all-day, everyday, can anyone offer me some practical tips?

Our stove and water heater are gas. I cannot dry clothes on a line because of two of my sons' severe allergies. I keep the a/c (it's still hot in FL) at 81 during the day and 83 at night. We had our ducts cleaned 2 years ago. I keep the blinds drawn when the sun is shining directly into the house.

BUT ... we have four boys who are constantly in and out. They're "pretty" good at shutting doors behind them, but toss in a few friends and ehhh not so much. We know we need new windows, but it's not in the budget right now.

How are you saving on your energy bills? :confused:

A couple of months ago, I'd heard talk (Crissy, maybe?) of unplugging stuff. I thought that sounded pretty painless, so we began implementing unplugging, but only easy-to-reach stuff such as straighteners, mixers, coffee makers, blenders and bedside lamps. I also made sure the annoying and difficult shower faucet got turned off all the way, every time. And I got a lot more anal about turning off the lights. We were pretty sloppy about the lights.

Let me say we made improvements, but we were not perfect in our execution.

We saved $75 on our power bill.

I couldn't believe it. I would now like to look at how we can start unplugging the more difficult things like the computer cabinet junk and some of the awkwardly placed living room lamps.

75 bucks doesn't make up for the enormous leap our grocery budget has taken, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye!

We have the opposite problem--keeping heat in and the cold out! But insulation is insulation and it works both ways.

I'm not sure blinds are enough to keep the heat out. They are a start--but can you look into something reflective? In the summer I use tin or aluminum foil on my daughter's west facing window.

Switch to CFC bulbs wherever it is practical. (You can't use them in fixtures with clip on shades--I have four like that. I could probably convert two of them to harps.) They are making smaller ones now that can fit into traditional light fixtures.

Any new appliances you pruchase should be Energy Star rated. The stand-by power in those is up to 50% less. (For a computer, it can be up to 70%!) The computer is a huge drain when it is on and not being used, too. I'm bad for that.

Try plugging all the entertainment devices into a power bar. The least you could do, then, is put it on a timer--and at a certain time each night it can switch everything to (truly) off...and then on again in the morning. I'm thinking of doing that.

Oh--and if you have any chargers "always" plugged in, unplug them until you need them. They apparently continure to draw power even when the thing being charged is full.

hth.

Edited by Alana in Canada

And it stinks not being able to use the sun to dry clothes. My dd would be a mass of hives if I put anything that touches her body on the clothesline.

We are about to seal the windows for the season with that plastic stuff. I get all claustrophobic when I can't open the windows but it is what it is. Our bow window is almost toast and we can not replace it anytime soon so it must be done with plastic or we may as well be outside.

I have tried unplugging stuff and turning the computer off and the printer. The best result I got was when I switched to using cold water for the washing machine.

but we're trying to keep the cold out and the heat in. Instead of that nice, clear, see-through stuff, this year I accidentally bought some really thick cloudy heavy plastic. It came in a roll, rather than pre-cut pieces, which was cheaper. It was of a heavier thickness, so I thought that would be good for holding more heat in. I dropped it off at home and went to run some errands. I got back home and DH has half the windows done, but now we can only see blurry images through them. So there's our 1st home improvement learning experience of the year. :D

I hear ya.... 70's single pane windows just don't cut it here. Especially after losing your afternoon shade trees in a tornado :glare:

We do about the same as you, except we have gas water heater and dryer. I have an ultra efficient w/d so i'm not really worried about that. I do need to go turn down the water heater and get DH to wrap it.

We have a 2nd fridge that makes my laundry an oven - i'd love to ditch it but DH thought i was nuts when i suggested it......

I wish i could figure out how to do more - hey, the 2 hour power outage the other day helped right??

The best result I got was when I switched to using cold water for the washing machine.

:iagree:

Switching to cold water wash (for almost everything except for kitchen cloths/towels) his REALLY reduced our power consumption.

We have also switched to CFLs as light bulbs burn out, even CFL pot lights which we realized were huge energy consumers (DH's bald little head could feel all the heat!).

Our most recent energy bill dropped by 1/3 over the same two month period last year.

Older windows can be resealed and caulked to reduce heat or cool air loss. Check with your electric company, a local glass company, on-line or a big store like Home Depot or Lowes. The clear, blow-dryer shrinking plastic window covering are used a lot in our neck of the woods.

I'm really looking at winterizing the house this year to save on the heating bills, and I'm hoping for a mild winter. The summer cooling bills were bad enough.

I feel for you. We have allergies here too and it makes cutting some simple things out difficult.

(I put insulator foam inserts inside all our outlets this fall and I'm sealing up lots of cold spots around the bathroom pipes to prevent cold air leaking in.)

PS...I'm going to discuss the unplugging idea as a science fair project idea. It would be interesting to have someone collect some real data on it.;)

Edited by Tammyla

Several years ago, I called our electric company to see what they suggested I do to cut costs...they were actually very helpful...and unplugging unused/little used items was one of their suggestions. Apparently, AC/DC still has small amounts of current flowing even when the item is off. So, we've done this for years.

Also, they told me to make sure and keep all doors to rooms open (I had been closing off rooms we were not using), and lower the thermostat slightly instead. The air circulating between rooms actually helps keep it warmer (in the winter....not sure how that would work for AC in FL??). Also, never vary the therm. more than 4 degrees either way at night vs. day. We were turning our heat down to 50 degrees at night and then up to 64 during the day. The extra energy it takes to heat the house back up 14 degrees is far more than it takes to keep it in a constant 4-degree zone.

Since doing all these things, our electric has def. gone down. Not sure which is making the most impact, however.

BTW, we also have an extra refridgerator (we are part of a co-op and on delivery months, we have to have the extra space) and they said as long as it was newer than 5 years old, they are so efficient that the amount of electricity they use is negligible. However, if older than that, they suggested it would be better to buy a newer model as the older ones are not efficient and very costly energy-wise over years. (Although this was a few years ago so maybe models older than 10 years would be more accurate now).

At the hardware store you can get those little switches that can be spliced into the power cord so you can click the power on and off w/o unplugging the entire cord. We use that for the living room lamps which, of course, plug into the wall behind a sofa or bookcase.

The computer stuff is all directed into a surge suppressor that IS accessible. We can turn everything off at the suppressor.

Older windows can be resealed and caulked to reduce heat or cool air loss. Check with your electric company, a local glass company, on-line or a big store like Home Depot or Lowes. The clear, blow-dryer shrinking plastic window covering are used a lot in our neck of the woods.

There is no way i "would" do the plastic on the windows. OUr temperature varies wayyyy too much during the year. It's nothing for it to be 80 during the day in january. I need to be able to open windows to not have to run the AC! LOL!!

NOw i would like the 3M window tint film that reduces heat greatly....

I haven't actually tried these myself, but I have seen them online and IRL. The SmartStrip is a power strip that is designed to shut down peripherals when it senses that you are no longer using the computer, and stop current leakage on transformers. Won't work for every application, but can make a big difference in office/PC, tv, home stereo applications, etc.

Another forum I am on did a co-op on these not too long ago. I am pretty sure that they are available at Bed, Bath and Beyond, just be sure to use your 20% off coupon (even expired ones) ;).

As for plastic on the window, how about sealing some and leaving a few uncovered so they can still be opened to let in some fresh air or for those temp fluctuations? Those leaky windows can make such a huge difference in utility bills and how drafty it feels. When I can feel the drafts, I feel like I need to up the heat a bit.

Oh, and programmable thermostats are our friends!

~Staci

Help me out here... how does unplugging a lamp when it is not turned on save electricity? Appliances that have clock displays or are operated by remote control still use electricity because they go into a passive mode. Things like lamps don't. So how does a lamp draw electricity when not in use?

During the hot months when we run the a/c a lot, we've been leaving the door to the air return open (if you can keep your kids out of it). It made a huge difference. The air could flow more freely and we could cool our home down much more quickly--so the a/c didn't run as often. It doesn't look very pretty, but I would just close the door if company came over or something. This one thing really made a difference for us (we live in the hot south). Also, I've been trying to be more aware of my electricity usage--just little things like not turning the light on in the closets, laundry room, etc. everytime I opened the door. I realized a lot of this was just habit. So I try to ask myself if I really need the light to do what I need to in there. Its very small and probably doesn't make a big difference, but it was more about changing my habits--and I have found so many little areas where I could do without the electricity (or do with less). So hopefully all of it combined helps a little.

Edited by Amie

These are great tips! I am going to try unplugging things when not in use, and using power strips. During Sept., Oct., and Nov., our apartment is so well-insulted that we don't need to use any heat at all... and our electric bill is still always well over $100! I have always thought this was ridiculous, so maybe unplugging will help.

Erica

Help me out here... how does unplugging a lamp when it is not turned on save electricity? Appliances that have clock displays or are operated by remote control still use electricity because they go into a passive mode. Things like lamps don't. So how does a lamp draw electricity when not in use?

Electrician hubby says lamps don't. He says only things with a built in transformer (whatever that is) do. ( I thought a transformer was one of those things out there on top of the telephone poles. )

Here's a site that may help with the science fair project!

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/

And definitely, get a new fridge if you can't part with having a second one!

The biggest energy suckers: A/C, the dryer, and the fridge--oh, and lights!:D

If you do have a furnace--checking into a more efficient fan may be worthwhile, too.

Here's a site that may help with the science fair project!

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/

And definitely, get a new fridge if you can't part with having a second one!

The biggest energy suckers: A/C, the dryer, and the fridge--oh, and lights!:D

If you do have a furnace--checking into a more efficient fan may be worthwhile, too.

Excellent site! Dh agrees with everything we've read there so far.:001_smile:

I watched that Oprah and the key words that were glossed over were "stopped using A/C."

Her bill was $268 in March. By Sept it was $68 or something like that. She said that she started unplugging everything and stopping using A/C.

I have 3 Smart Strips (one for the desktop and one each for the two TV/DVD/Satellite areas.

I also just finished a book that talked about cutting back on electricity usage. I bought a Kill-a-watt but I haven't started playing around with it. But, in this book, they did list the things that drew phantom power. He didn't mention lights. Unplugging the microwave would help. TV, VCR, DVD, satellite, stereo systems. Unplug chargers (phone, laptop, etc) when not in use. Turn off the computer at bedtime. Desktops use more power than laptops.

Hints that I gleaned from the book:

1. Insulate the hot water pipes coming from the hot water heater plus the first few feet of the cold water pipes as heat will wick from the heater. You will have hot water faster if it doesn't cool off so quickly. Less water to heat and use.

2. Turn off water heater and drain once a year, especially if you have sediment issues. The filament doesn't work as well if covered in gunk.

3. A blanket for the water heater will also keep in heat. Then you can probably turn down the temperature.

4. Cold water wash.

5. Evaluate older appliances. Calculate savings of replacing with Energy Star ones.

6. Ceiling fans cool people, not air. So, if there isn't anyone in the room, turn it off. I don't know how that translate to the reverse blade in the winter, though.

7. Dehumidifiers draw a lot of power. Don't overdo its usage when you don't need to.

8. Rule: One light, one person. If you are done in that room and nobody is there, turn it off. I did happen to change all of my bulbs over to CFLs and it did save a significant amount on my bill. But then the company decided to hit everybody with a 29% increase.

I also bought towel racks that attach to the door hinges so that everyone can hang their towels to dry. That save at least 3 loads of laundry a week.

When we were in Texas we had a lot of windows in the back of the house where the sun beat in all day long. I put in the Gila film I found at Home Depot. I don't know how it affected the electric bill, but it dramactically helped keep the rooms cooler. And you can still see through it. It doesn't help with AC or heat being lost around the edges of old windows, but makes a huge difference in heat beating in through the windows. Even with blinds or curtains, the rooms were still hot. The film made great difference. You can find it online too. Check under gilafilm.com

As for unplugging things, on Planet Green, Ed Begley's show Living with Ed, show this great thing. He was mounting the contol near the door they always go out. On teh way out the door, you hit this button, and it turns off the power at all the outlets you've set to it. You can tell it which outlets to turn off and which to leave on. So your fridge and answering machine don't get turned off when you are out. But your phone charger sitting on the end table plugged in behind the sofa (along with random lamps left on!) get turned off while you are out of the house.

Last week on Oprah there was a show about saving money. One lady said that she started unplugging appliances and saved a bunch of money on her utility bill. She also cut back on AC. Her bill went from $260 to $60 (if memory serves me).

I have heard that it is hard on appliances to unplug them.

Any WT tightwads out there that would care to comment on this idea?

Thanks!

I don't know if it's an urban legend or what, but I once read that if everyone in the US unplugged their TVs when not in use, the energy saved would be equal to what a small African country requires. TVs tend to draw a lot of electricity for the automatic on. I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but when I was a kid, when you turned on the tube it took a good minute to "warm up."

I'm suspicious of the Oprah woman's numbers, but I bet unplugging saves a lot.

I also heard to use power strips so it's easy to turn off and on.

I don't know about saving $200 though. She must have cut off her A/C and unplugged everything in the house.

I have never had my bill $60 in the summer with the a/c running.

Also, with us being home all the time we do use more electricity, than if we were not here during the day.

Ok, I have few pet peeves in life...wet socks being the biggest and paying my light bill! I cringe every month. Six years ago my bill ran $75 dollars in the summer and the summer of 07 it was in the $200 dollar range. So this summer I said no way. I decided to try a little experiment. I already had the energy conserving bulbs all over the house so that didn't change. I put everything except the stove, microwave, fridge, and washer and dryer on power strips so I could turn them off. Oh, and dh's alarm clock. Every night I would turn off everything.

I became obsessive about the temp on the AC and kept it around 80 degrees. Yes dh complained and would turn it down when he came home and I would turn it off when I went to bed and put a fan on him!

Now, for the month of July and August I did something really radical for me, because, well, I'm lazy. I actually did not use my clothes dryer for those months and hung my laundry on the line outside. I was actually embarrassed! LOL! I am glad I had a privacy fence.

I should say I live in Texas and we had many days over or near the 100 mark in July and August, our house is well insulated and in the shade. My light bill for June was $132 and for July and August it

was only $9 -$10 more each month and I also did some canning during those months on my electric stove. I felt like I had conquered the light company!

UUGGHH, I need to get a life!!

As silly as this may sound I felt a little sad taking my old friend the clothes line down last month. I almost miss hanging my clothes out...I really do need to get a life! LOL!!

Well, just wanted to share my experiment. I did save money...not as much as the lady on Oprah, but it did work!

You can invest some money in a device that measures electricity use in order to determine the what could be turned off for greatest savings. The kids could be placed in charge of monitoring power usage with a Kill-A-Watt or similar device. You'll find a review of one such product here.

I know of one public library system that purchased monitors for patrons to borrow. Maybe I'll ask our Extension Service to consider such a service as well.

Anyway, I think that putting the kids in charge of utility monitoring is the way to go. Back in middle school I had my son analyze all of the power and water bills for a few years and graph the data. Ever since that time, he is the one who will complain if a light is left on!

We have several TV's, and two of them I unplug. The other two I can't unplug because they have to reset when they are plugged back in. I also unplug my other smaller appliances and flip the power strip switch on the computers. I'm obsessive about turning off lights and keeping heat or AC turn down. I can't give you a dollar amount that it saves; I hope it's worth my time.

Janet