Menu

What activities have helped your teens find friends?

We are planning to move in October and my son will be in 10th grade. In my experience, some activities seem to have a better chance than others for leading to friendships. Things like theater or travel sports teams seem promising because you spend a lot of time together.

What activities have your teens participated in and found friends there? I want to give him some fresh ideas. We have been living overseas and the choices have been quite different.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

DS has found friends from attending summer camps, taking courses at Penn, and playing Magic at the local comic book store.  And, of course, from his Rubik's Cube world.

He has been traveling much of the summer, on his own - attending events and summer camps, but...three of his stops are visiting friends he has met at summer camps.

• Like 1

My younger daughter played sports at the local public high school and went to youth group. Most of her friends, including her boyfriend, attended the public school. Her closest friendships came from playing on the high school girls' rugby team.

With #1, I focused on trying to help her find friends in the homeschool community, but it just never really happened. All three of my older kids have had far more success in building meaningful friendships with students at the local public school than they have by attending homeschool teen groups, which really surprised me. The amount of drama among homeschool teens (and their parents) is just off the charts here, and I just don't have the patience for it.

• Like 4

With #1, I focused on trying to help her find friends in the homeschool community, but it just never really happened. All three of my older kids have had far more success in building meaningful friendships with students at the local public school than they have by attending homeschool teen groups, which really surprised me. The amount of drama among homeschool teens (and their parents) is just off the charts here, and I just don't have the patience for it.

The same rings true for my son.  His closest friends were made through the youth group at our church and skateboarding, not homeschooling events and teen groups.  He's also made friends through volunteering in the community.  

• Like 4

I think you're on the right track, theater and sport (horseback riding) have been where dd13 and formed her closest friendships.  There she has found like-minded kids who share, and get, her passions. We've had zero luck connecting with other homeschoolers.  Now if only I could find a group of fantasy/fiction writers for her! Then she'd be 3 for 3.  :)

• Like 3

Adding DD13 - friendships were formed at the dance studio, while she attended.  Now, friendships are forming at the barn where she rides.  Three of us on this thread have horse lovers - maybe your son can try riding!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

Great suggestions! Thank you :)

He is on a swim team here in Denmark, and I hope he will continue that in the USA. I think he might like theater - the language barrier was just too big of a hurdle for that here. He also does a lot of volunteering, so hopefully that will also help him meet some people.

I have moved teenagers before, but they were not homeschooled. 

Edited by Penguin

• 2 weeks later...

Library teen programs: card games, book club, etc. & at teen room, community theater company, homeschool grp for our county- in programs I organized in my students area of interest- and I follow up w/the mom if they hit it off- live near- and we do more of the stuff they both like & then we share resources and events-that come up, and summer camp/wkend programs in areas of interest held at local universities, e.g., computer science. I have experienced it is the moms and parents that keep friendships going, till the children hit 14 and then they start doing the calling and ask to be taken to their pal's. And yes, that means one would need to early on develop a working relationship with the mom- homeschool and not. if the children are good together- similar interests, and the other parent values their child's friendships and the parents values are similar- you work together for the children's happiness. I might take them to that Star Trek movie and she takes them to that book signing. We take them to a science lecture I found or to an aviation museum event they want to attend and it evolves and keeps going...  

• Like 2

Other youth at church (we don't have a youth group), sports, and to some extent local classes. My youngest takes a combined hist/lit class where they do a lot of friend-type activities outside of class, so that's been a great outlet. They're a very open group and never exclude anyone. My oldest didn't have that experience with local classes though.

• Like 1

Co-op (classes and activities), the local environmental education center (classes, camps, events, Envirothon teams), karate, Little League, and just hanging around the neighborhood.  Our libraries do have Teen Advisory meetings and activities, but we haven't been able to work them in regularly.  My 14yo has found a second home full of good people in our volunteer fire department.

• Like 1

He is on a swim team here in Denmark, and I hope he will continue that in the USA.

Swim is a great sport to make friends! There's a lot of down time at meets waiting for your particular group(s) and event(s) to run, so the kids hang out and get to know each other. Definitely check out your community's swim program(s) and see if you can find one that will be a good fit.

• Like 1

FIRST Robotics has been awesome for my teen son. Great kids, great mentors, great learning, and lots of opportunities to build meaningful friendships with an excellent peer group. So awesome that I'm certain to make sure my youngest daughter joins next year in 9th grade. 

If there is a FIRST team in your area that accepts homeschoolers, I *highly* recommend checking it out!

• Like 1

Civil Air Patrol. I think scouts can be good in the right troop, but ds was in the wrong one for years. It finally dissolved this year, which gave ds freedom to explore CAP. It is the perfect fit for him and I'm a little disappointed he wasn't involved sooner.  He's made stronger connections in 6 months of CAP than he did in years of scouts.