Menu

Wearable Fitness trackers - please chime in!

frugalmamatx

I am trying to eat healthier and lose weight. I've got the eating part managed with MyFitnessPal and it is working great for me. But I'm terrible at figuring out how much activity I've done, calories from it, etc. I would like to get some type of wearable fitness device like a fitbit or jawbone or similar. I would like it to track sleep as well, as I have sleep issues that I think may be affecting my weight loss. Budget is pretty small but I'm okay waiting for a good sale or buying used. 

IF you have one and like it - please tell me!

DD has a Polar Loop

I have a Misfit.

We are both happy :)

Before buying one it is good to make a list what you are looking for an activity tracker.

Do you only walk / run or does it has to track cycling and swimming too.

Does it has to tell time, or only track the activities.

Do you want to synchronize with an apple device or a laptop.

Do you want to set your own goals, or do you want the tracker set your goals, challenging you more and more...

I've worn a Fitbit for years.  Currently I'm wearing a Charge HR and it works well for me. I like that it automatically detects activities- like I can hope on my bike and start riding and it recognizes I'm doing that and track accordingly.  It's pretty good with sleep tracking although I have to watch that because if I'm watching a movie it thinks I'm asleep. 

My biggest gripe is the battery- my old Fitbits would go at least ten days on a charge but this one is about three. It's super easy and fast to charge it but I just haven't found a good routine.  I need to work on that!

I've worn a Fitbit for years.  Currently I'm wearing a Charge HR and it works well for me. I like that it automatically detects activities- like I can hope on my bike and start riding and it recognizes I'm doing that and track accordingly.  It's pretty good with sleep tracking although I have to watch that because if I'm watching a movie it thinks I'm asleep. 

My biggest gripe is the battery- my old Fitbits would go at least ten days on a charge but this one is about three. It's super easy and fast to charge it but I just haven't found a good routine.  I need to work on that!

I put mine on to charge every other day while I'm taking a shower. By the time I'm done, dressed and dried my hair it's charged up enough to easily last another couple of days.

• Like 1

I've had really great support from Fitbit but I've needed it -- I had two charges die and one Alta. If your fitbit is having issues definitely contact support! :( But I love their app... my friends are on it so I get some great motivation from sharing with them. So I have an Alta on right now.

Piggybacking:

If anyone has a recommendation for one that specifically does NOT have to link with a phone (my flip phone is not linking with anything) I'd love to hear it.

You can synch a Fitbit to a laptop or to a kindle fire or other tablet

• Like 3

I have a Fitbit One. It tracks sleep, though I don't use that feature. I like that it is rechargeable. The charge lasts a week, or probably more. I don't have a phone, so mine is connected to my Mac desktop. I like the One because when I was researching, it seems to be agreed that trackers you wear on your torso, as opposed to the bracelet/watch kind, are more accurate. You can connect any of them with MyFitnessPal.

I had a Zip before, but they use watch batteries and the stupid battery kept dying. I think I killed the thing in the process of changing the battery one time. 

• Like 2

Ok - I've had a fitbit blaze for a couple months.  I mostly like it.  However, I partially chose a fitbit because I have many friends with fitbits and I thought the social challenge bit would be fun and helpful.  Fitbit challenges and what is shared with friends is all in STEPS.   Steps is the currency.  I recently got a new bike and have moved over to using the bike.  So I can use my fitbit in exercise mode and it will track my bike ride.  However, biking (or swimming, and other alternative NON stepping activities) do not count as STEPS.  There is a manual mode on the fitbit dashboard, so I started deleting my bike rides and putting in my bike rides as a slow walk at 3 miles/hr to be conservative.  Well, nothing added in manual mode will count toward your weekly total or be added as anything as your friends can see.   I know people who aren't getting accurate steps on a treadmill and were adding it in manually and now those steps won't count.  You forget to charge your fitbit and go for a walk of a known distance, that won't count either. 

I'm not sure why fitbit is so worried about "cheating".  I could attach the fitbit to my cat or my kids too and wouldn't that be cheating?  I actually wish the focus on fitbit was toward active minutes instead of steps maybe?  I do think fitbit has heart rate data and a bunch of walking data and could probably come up with a pretty good algorithm to translate an alternative work out to steps.   I think there are better trackers for people that do a bunch of activities and when my fitbit dies, I'll probably go in that direction.

Anyway - if you are doing more than walking/jogging and the social part of fitbit was interesting to you, you may find that part disappointing.  I do not wear mine while I sleep either so I think my resting heart rate runs high on it, but I have seen it come down 12 points since I got it which is a positive trend.

• Like 1

I have the garmin vivofit2.  It counts steps, sleep and exercise time and I sync it to the computer to track all the data. I do not need to charge it.  It usually runs about $50 on sale.  I got mine free as a hotel stay member perk.

Edited by jrn

I have the garmin vivofit2. It counts steps, sleep and exercise time and I sync it to the computer to track all the data. I do not need to charge it. It usually runs about $50 on sale. I got mine free as a hotel stay member perk.

This is the one I am looking at. It can also be used in water, right? My question is, will it track activity if I use my stationary bike?

Moov Now has an ankle strap.

I was just coming here to say that Moov looked interesting but I have not purchased it. The price is right, the reviews are good. It does more than step-counting.

So I will wait here to read feedback.

I am quite sure my Fitbit HR is dead.

I have had it plugged in for hours and it isn't charging.

This is my 2nd one to die.

I am quite frustrated.

There is a way to reset it, try that. (would have to google, but I Think it is just holding down the button for a long time to see if it resets.

I had a Jawbone Up. I really liked it until the button popped off. They replaced it with a different version which was fine. The problem we have with them (my DH had one too) was the syncing with the app. If their system was down you would lose your data because it couldn't upload. There was no way to tell how close you were to your step totals without the app.

We replaced those with the Garmin Vivosmart HR a couple of months ago. I like that all the info is on the device so I don't have to look at the app on my phone to see my status. I also love that it is a watch! I think you can sync with a computer so don't need a phone but look that up to make sure. It can sync with MyFitnessPal and other apps if you're looking for the social aspect of it. 

This is the one I am looking at. It can also be used in water, right? My question is, will it track activity if I use my stationary bike?

I don't know about using it in water.

When I go on the stationary bike I just hook it to my shoe. It came with 2 sizes of wrist straps and the biggest one doesn't quite fit on my ankle. 

I have noticed if I am at work and doing short bursts of movement it doesn't always count the steps. -I clean so the vacuuming/mopping movement doesn't always count up.

DH has a Fitbit Charge, my mom has a Fitbit that she clips on her bra (not sure which one, sorry) that she syncs via computer (also has a flip phone lol).  My 17, 18, and myself have Garmin Vivofits, purchased June 2015, and we wear them 24/7...shower, swimming, whatever.

DH and my mom love their Fitbits.  The boys and I like our Garmins.  Ours don't sync nicely and take a lot of fiddling to make them sync.

Anyway, Woot has refurb Fitbits for good prices today:  http://www.woot.com/offers/your-choice-fitbit-13?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_wobtn

I have an Alta, and it's helped me lose 10 lbs! For some reason, I have risen to the challenge of the steps. Dd had a Charge but she hasn't been wearing it lately. I think she found it depressing to see how much she walks working for the county. 2nd dd had some sort of Fitbit, but it went bananas when she was flying her helo! It counted all her takeoffs and landings as going up stairs! Pretty funny, actually. She has a Leaf now.

Ha! Today she climbed 1,234,567 flights 😀
  • Like 1

I LOVE my Fitbit One.  I like that it clips to my pocket or bra and I don't have to think about it.  The wrist ones calculated too many steps while knitting and not enough while shopping. ;)  (My friend wears hers on her ankle since she's always pushing a stroller.)  It counts flights of stairs too.  I'm trying to convince the hubby to get one too. It doesn't work in the pool, nor while biking or on the elliptical.  (But I enter those manually into MFP, and all is well.)

I have the Garmin Vivofit 2.  It does go in water.  I've had people freak out at me when in the pool that I still have my tracker on!  Sometimes it doesn't count my movement if my arm is stationary but other times I get credit for things that aren't actually me moving (like the other day I got points during monopoly every time I rolled the dice!).  BUT I wear my tracker on my dominant hand so that probably confuses it.   I've never tried to track on a stationary bike so I don't know...I'd guess if you strapped it to your foot it would track.  

• Like 1

I was just coming here to say that Moov looked interesting but I have not purchased it. The price is right, the reviews are good. It does more than step-counting.

So I will wait here to read feedback.

Apparently you're not getting any. I started a thread on here about it and got no responses. I decided against it because it's not really a fitness tracker, it's a personal trainer. I still want the Moov and I'll get it when I'm ready to start running again, but it doesn't replace the Fitbit/Jawbone/Garmin wearable. It tracks activity, not steps, is really only cool for the 5 built in workouts (running, swimming, biking, boxing, body weight) and doesn't have a dietary element in the app which is important to me. I watched a few YouTube videos on it, mostly RizKnows and JimsReviewRoom, and decided on a Garmin Vivofit 2 with a Spark People or MFP account.

• Like 1

Apparently you're not getting any. I started a thread on here about it and got no responses. I decided against it because it's not really a fitness tracker, it's a personal trainer. I still want the Moov and I'll get it when I'm ready to start running again, but it doesn't replace the Fitbit/Jawbone/Garmin wearable. It tracks activity, not steps, is really only cool for the 5 built in workouts (running, swimming, biking, boxing, body weight) and doesn't have a dietary element in the app which is important to me. I watched a few YouTube videos on it, mostly RizKnows and JimsReviewRoom, and decided on a Garmin Vivofit 2 with a Spark People or MFP account.

Thank you!