Menu

Simple at home lunches

Rachel

I need some new lunch ideas for my kids. What do your kids eat for lunch in the summer?

We get home from swim team close to lunch time so the two kids who have been swimming are ready to eat. I don't have as many leftovers in the summer which tends to be my go to for a quick lunch. One of my kids doesn't care for sandwiches of any type, so I try to limit those to once a week or days we take a picnic to the park.

I make a big quinoa salad for myself and it lasts several days. It usually includes spinach, uncut grape tomatoes, and cheese. I also love smoothies.

Sometimes when I know we'll be out I'll chop veggies, fruit and cheese and hardboil some eggs and they get a plate of ingredients.

• Like 1

My kids loved...and now my grandkids love what we call snack plates.  I keep all of these on hand for salads so it's easy- I have thick sliced deli turkey and I make it into cubes. Sliced brick, cheddar, or jack cheese on crackers, a hard boiled egg cut into fourths, some grape tomatoes and maybe black olives, and some cut up fruit. Finger food, super fast, and there are lots of possibilities.  

Their other favorite is cold baked chicken tenders. I coat them in a flour/parmesan/seasoned salt and bake, then eat them cold. Yum. 

• Like 6

Ravioli or tortellini with Alfredo or spaghetti sauce (premade sauce--can be jarred or homemade). I try to grill extra chicken and keep that in the fridge to add to pasta for quick meals.

Cobb or taco salad--chop all the ingredients ahead of time, assemble at lunchtime

Quesadillas

English muffin pizzas

• Like 1

Fried rice is a go to for us. Leftover rice, whatever veggies I have that I can toss in there, and I keep chopped up ham or turkey in the freezer portioned out to make fried rice.

We do breakfast for lunch a good bit as well. Eggs and fruit and toast.

• Like 2

Fried rice is a go to for us. Leftover rice, whatever veggies I have that I can toss in there, and I keep chopped up ham or turkey in the freezer portioned out to make fried rice.

How do you make fried rice without it sticking horribly to the pan?  We recently made some fried rice that was absolutely delicious, but that pan was probably the worst pan I've cleaned in a year.  And normally I don't have problems with the pan -- it's All Clad d5.  My DH and I were thinking that we probably have to use non-stick, but we were trying to move away from those…Any tips would be appreciated.

How do you make fried rice without it sticking horribly to the pan?  We recently made some fried rice that was absolutely delicious, but that pan was probably the worst pan I've cleaned in a year.  And normally I don't have problems with the pan -- it's All Clad d5.  My DH and I were thinking that we probably have to use non-stick, but we were trying to move away from those…Any tips would be appreciated.

Hmm... I don't have a recipe. I use a decent amount of coconut oil and cook the veggies and toss in the meat and an egg before I ever put the rice in. Then I just add in a teense of sesame oil and the soy sauce when I add the cooked rice and only cook the rice for a short time, stirring it all together. It's true that sometimes the pan gets a little crusted with the rice but usually it's not so bad. I have Tramontina, which is the All-Clad style knock off. I have had to soak it before, but usually I don't even have to do that. It doesn't taste like restaurant fried rice when I do it. But that's okay with me. It's its own thing.

• Like 2

Hmm... I don't have a recipe. I use a decent amount of coconut oil and cook the veggies and toss in the meat and an egg before I ever put the rice in. Then I just add in a teense of sesame oil and the soy sauce when I add the cooked rice and only cook the rice for a short time, stirring it all together. It's true that sometimes the pan gets a little crusted with the rice but usually it's not so bad. I have Tramontina, which is the All-Clad style knock off. I have had to soak it before, but usually I don't even have to do that. It doesn't taste like restaurant fried rice when I do it. But that's okay with me. It's its own thing.

Thank you.  I'm wondering if maybe we cooked the rice too long.  Also, it was freshly cooked rice, so I'm wondering if that was part of the problem. 

My kids always loved a "party plate". I would take a platter or two  and arrange fresh fruit, veggies, dip, crackers, chips, several sandwiches cut really small.  It was easier for me to do and they felt like they were at a party eating finger foods. That was especially good when I only had 2 or 3 peices of bread, a handful of crackers, one apple, etc. and 4 kids to feed.  One or two of 5 or 6 things was enough to feed everyone.

• Like 3

Leftover mashed potatoes inside a split lengthwise hotdog or sausage. Top with slice of cheese, broil.

English muffin pizza

Tuna or egg salad served on bread or inside a tomato

My mom told me once that when she was growing up there was always a bowl of hard boiled eggs and another one of boiled potatoes in their fridge. I have done that at times and it's a quick start to lunch.

Will your non sandwich eater eat open faced broiled sandwiches?

Sloppy joes, pulled pork or even chili over mashed potatoes

Sausage gravy over bisquits

Eggs in a hole ( eggs cooked in a hole cut out of toast)

Make pancakes or waffles ahead of time and have that Costco sized bag of pre cooked bacon on hand

Asian beef in lettuce wraps

• Like 1

Pizza buns......spread pizza sauce on hamburger or hot dog buns or English muffins, tortillas, etc and top with cheese and any toppings you want.

Another favorite is a pound of burger fried and drained and the mixed with a jar of pizza sauce and topped with cheese and baked for a few minutes.

• Like 1

Pasta salad

BBQ -- I make in crock pot then put in meal portions in freezer.  Only takes a few minutes to heat in microwave

Fried rice -- but I make a ton one day and they eat on it for a few days "baked" in microwave -- or a bunch done in crockpot

Mac & cheese -- with or without hotdogs

Quesadillas -- any little bit of meat with cheese on a tortilla and heated in a pan 

Quiet a few times I just make a bunch of their favorite foods (fried rice, pasta salad, mac & cheese, beans & cornbread, baked potatoes etc. ) and let them reheat in microwave

• Like 1

My kids love "mommy lunchables". This came about since I won't let them eat a store bought lunchables. It's just some sort of deli meat cut into bit size pieces, sliced cheese, whatever crackers I have in the house, either cherry tomatoes or some other veggie, and a fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Snack plate is a big favorite around here: cheese, deli meat, pepperoni, olives, nuts, fruit, veggies, whatever we have around.

Mine like mac and cheese in any form, any time.  One of my kids like chicken noodle soup, preferably homemade, any time of the year.

They eat a lot of lunchmeat or PBJ sandwiches.

Hard-boiled eggs, deviled or made into egg salad.

Tuna salad, or tuna casserole -- one of my kids likes tuna a lot.

Gnocchi from Aldi.

Smoothies

Yogurt -- I buy the individual cups when they're on big sales.

Grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas.

Bean burritos/nachos.

• Like 1

My kids aren't huge sandwich fans either....unless I call it Homeway (like Subway) and provide sub rolls, pickles, olives, all the fixins... ;)

We eat canned soup or Ramen.

Party platters (meat, veggies, fruit, crackers/pretzels)

Quesadillas (esp. Pizzadillas, which are mini-pepperoni and mozzarella-filled)

Cottage cheese (my oldest will choose cottage cheese over most anything)

Hardboiled eggs

• Like 1

DD15 has never been a sandwich person.   Lunches around here can be:

Ramen noodles

Cheese and summer sausage with crackers

quesadillas (tortillas and cheese in the microwave when she doesn't feel like cooking)

Pizza bagels (bagel, spaghetti sauce and cheese)

scrambled eggs

• Like 1

What stuff do your kids hate? I don't want to suggest a bunch of stuff they'd hate.

One kid hates tomatoes in any form. One hates eggs. My oldest will eat just about anything. I still eat those and will often find a substitute on days we have those. Overall they are decent eaters, my boys are very willing to try new things, my daughter not so much. She is getting better about trying new things, but still isn't great.

We do "snack" plates regularly but you guys gave me a few new ideas.

Breakfast is good, I haven't done pancakes in awhile and they are so easy.

In cooler months we eat a lot of soup, I think I need to make another big pot, I just don't think about it when I'm hot.

I'm going to try fried rice. I have never made it but I think my kids would really like it.

Thank you. I'm wondering if maybe we cooked the rice too long. Also, it was freshly cooked rice, so I'm wondering if that was part of the problem.

You want day old rice that's dried out a bit in the fridge. If you have to make it fresh, I'd shove it in the freezer for a while to dry it out. Otherwise, I'd just do a stir fry over the fresh rice and skip frying the rice.

• Like 1

I've done burritos for lunch. Use a rice cooker and toss some rice in, but add some salsa, seasoning, and any leftover meat, vegetables, or cooked beans you want. It all warms up while the rice steams and you can just serve it in flour tortillas with a bit of cheese.

We do a lot of the things mentioned. In addition quesadillas are very popular here. Also "Popcorn lunch" which isn't always popcorn but sometimes is, plus cheese and apples and eaten while watching a movie. :) 

My kids also like it when they do "Chopped" lunch. I'll get out three ingredients and they have to make lunch for themselves using that plus they can pick three more ingredients from the fridge or pantry. My 6 yr old and 9 yr old will be the competitors and typically I assign the 12 year old to be the minion for the 6 yr old and help her with chopping and the stove. 

• Like 2

Thank you.  I'm wondering if maybe we cooked the rice too long.  Also, it was freshly cooked rice, so I'm wondering if that was part of the problem. 

Ah!  You used freshly cooked rice.  You have to use cold (preferably day old) rice, never fresh (hot) rice.