Menu

Roll call, please? Who has a student taking the PSAT next week?

My 16yo is taking it as a Junior. She is not stressing and neither am I. We are not 'teaching to the test' and she is going in cold. However she does is what she does. No problem.

She will be taking it Wed. also "for real."

She did really well last year for practice and has taken one practice test at home so far again this fall. She plans to also take the practice one just sent to us by the test administrators where she'll be taking it.

It really is good to prep. Have your children sit down with a practice SAT book (some of them have PSATs in them, but if not, it's ok, just use SAT).

It makes a world of difference.

Have them time themselves, the whole nine yards. It makes a difference.

My son is. He is a junior, I didn't realize he could have done a pracitice one last year. When he registered, they gave a booklet. In the booklet, there were practice questions. He has been going over them. He feels fairly confident he can do well, but he is a good test-taker.

DS took the PSAT last year for practice, no prep work at all. This year he has prepped a little. He's read through the two PSAT prep books I purchased, done a few of their practice tests, and has gotten into the habit of visiting Number2.com for about 15min a day for the past several weeks.

If he is worried or concerned about next Wednesday he isn't letting on about it. He is really, really busy with his other courses so that might be it too. He's also taken the SAT several times through JH-CTY, done quite well so that might be helping him not be too worried. Or he just might not be sharing

Carole

dd taking it as a junior, we moved over the summer and the local ps has been so accommodating. We've already discussed doing AP there in May, the asst. principal gave us a student guide, and they've told us exactly what to do, what to bring, etc. for next Wed. Such a breath of fresh air - last year wasn't as bad as some here, but the school had never had requests from hs'ers according to the gc:glare:

my 12 yo is taking it.

She is quite comfortable taking the reading writing portions. There is no stress and I just looking for an increase from year to year. I have a goal that i would like to see her hit but I havent even let her know that number. I want her to relax and not stress.

She didn't care for the prep books, so at this point I have her use a weekly online vocab game.

How's this...I can't decide! My 16-yr old, a junior, has already taken the SATs (last spring). I know, based on the past few years' scores, that he won't be a Merit finalist. He could easily be a commended scholar, like his older siblings, but honestly, that meant nothing in terms of college scholarships. If colleges give scholarships it will be based on the SAT, not the PSAT. Money is tight, the economy is bad...I just don't know that taking the PSAT would do anything.

I think we'll probably skip the PSATs and have him retake the SATs in the next few months.

Ria

My three daughters -- freshman, soph, and junior -- are all taking it. My junior has done some fairly serious study as she was close to the TX cutoff as a sophomore. The other two are just taking the test for the experience.

Best wishes to all of your students!

Yvonne

Ds is in public high school where PSAT was offerered to freshmen last year, so he went ahead and took it after I verified that he had however many chances to take it and each time his score would only go up, not down. Ds is a terrible test-taker, so the more chances he gets, the better.

He just took it for the second time last week as a sophomore. Our ps offers it free to all sophomores and maybe juniors and seniors, too. I'm not sure.