Menu

A friend actually said to me...

that the biggest benefit she would see to homeschooling would be that her kids would be around during the day to help with the housekeeping chores. WHAT?!!! Btw, my 4 kids range in age from 2.5-13; she has two daughters, ages 9 and 13. I laughed, and said that if she could find me a house that is CLEANER at the end of the day with 4 kids in it all day long, getting schoolwork and projects in and out, than a comparable house where the 4 kids are at school from 8-3:30, and they just come in with a backpack of homework, that she should let me know.

I laughed, but truly, things like this irritate me to no end. What are people thinking?!! Really?!!! Does she think the kids are sitting patiently here all day, eagerly awaiting the next assignment which they diligently clean up when they are done, and hoping to be able to vacuum or dust something in their spare time?

Arrgghh!!!

\Does she think the kids are sitting patiently here all day, eagerly awaiting the next assignment which they diligently clean up when they are done, and hoping to be able to vacuum or dust something in their spare time?

Seriously? Your kids aren't :001_huh:?

:smilielol5:

Shoot, my kids help all day with the house, and yes, in between Math and Logic they switch the laundry around. If I sent my kids to PS I'd either spend all my time at the barn or in front of the tv. Since we homeschool I have to be organized, and the more I have to do the more organized I am and the better things run around here.

Each of our dds has taken on part of the house running around here, and on their own I might add. All summer the oldest did all the laundry for all seven of us, from gathering it up to putting it back. The other is a general picker-upper-straightener type. I do the kitchen and cooking.

One of the reasons we homeschool is so that all the children can learn how to do what we do. Whether it's cleaning the house, breaking a horse, feeding the cattle or building a corral. They get a better education, we get help, we spend time together and they learn skills on top of that.

So yep, I'd say once the kids are old enough, it's definitely a plus.

Shelly, I think you gave a good reponse to your friend. While some may be able to keep their house clean because their kids are at home and can help, there's plenty of us (myself included!) who find that the more of us that are home during the day, the messier the house is. Maybe this will make her start thinking, "hmmm...if not housekeeping, what is a good reason to homeschool?"

Shoot, my kids help all day with the house, and yes, in between Math and Logic they switch the laundry around.

One of the reasons we homeschool is so that all the children can learn how to do what we do.

So yep, I'd say once the kids are old enough, it's definitely a plus.

Same here. They have regular house keeping chores that they do between subjects, and at the same time they are learning photography, graphic design, printing and some of the basic management that comes along with owning a small business.

If they went to school I'd have to do most of this myself. :lol:

I only have 1 kid, but I have to say that the mess in my house is not because of him...I am the problem!! My house is a cluttered mess for 2 reasons:

1. We moved from a 3-bd (one room was an office) into a very small 2-bd with no storage space...without getting rid of anything! Most of the mess is due to the fact that we are in desperate need of another bookcase...There are book piles all over the place because my shelves are already full, and this is compounded by the fact that my husband is in law school and brings home a new pile of books every semester.:blink:

2. I never learned how to clean up after myself. How I managed to teach this to my son is anyone's guess, but I think it was part personality and part fear that he'd end up like me if I didn't start "training" him early. My 5yo puts away all dishes that belong within his reach, makes his own bed, takes out the garbage, and folds/puts away his own laundry. He also cleans up after every activity before starting the next, which is something we started doing as soon as he could walk while holding an object. :D

My daughter, in particular, is a BIG help around the house and has been for several years. I have fibromyalgia, and even though I have some medication and other things that help some, it still affects greatly the amount of housework I can accomplish.

Now that she's 19 and is working part-time and involved in other things she is not available to help out as much. I'm training my son to take over some things, and she still does as much as she can...but I'm feeling the difference.

Of course the house gets messier than if we were all gone all day every day! So you have the kids at home helping and you have them at home making a mess. But at the age your friend's kids are she might very well get a net gain of help from them. Especially since she doesn't have any younger ones to mess up after those two clean up.

Dh and I talk about this all the time. I have a housekeeper and sometimes we allocate her cost to marriage counseling and sometimes to educational expenses. I think the only thing better for house cleanliness would be for them to wear a uniform - even I could stay on top of the laundry when all I had to wash was white shirts and navy skorts!

Boys are so much messier than girls, it's truly amazing to me! Maybe that's my problem...

Seriously, I have 2 boys and 2 girls, and WOW is there a difference in the cleanliness, and just general hygiene and neatness. They are all expected (except the 2yo!) to make their own beds, fold and put away their own laundry, and generally keep up their rooms, but there is a significant difference in what gets done in Lego world v. what gets doll in American Girl/horse land!

Really, I think most of the chores I require I would require wherever they were in school, so I can't see that homeschooling does anything other than add to the number of times a kid tromps through the house with leaves on their shoes, dirty hands touching light switches, and the scraps of paper from craft project that *almost* all make it into the trashcan. :001_unsure:

I do have to admit, though, that the kids do the dog walking chore during the day, while I take the dark night walk, so that does save me some time!

Ooh! Ooh! I have a funny story along those lines.

We were due to move overseas, and my oldest DD needed a physical. I took her in, and the doc just mostly talked to her about stuff. When she mentioned school, and DD said she homeschooled, the doctor asked what that was like. My DD went on for 5 FULL MINUTES about doing laundry. I kid you not. I about died- I didn't want to interrupt, because I would seem defensive, so I just sort of sat there and gave a weak smile.

You see, just that week I decided the girls were old enough to learn to do laundry, and we had "laundry lessons" every day on how to sort, put in soap, dry, etc. The girls thought it was great fun. But couldn't she have mentioned all the trips to the Smithsonian museums?? The science projects?? Math??

Nope. Just laundry.

I can laugh about it now, but I came home and told DH that if CPS shows up, we'll know who sent them!!

:lol:

That, to me, is like all of the people who tell me it must be nice to have so much free time, and not have to follow a schedule, like with kids in school. Yes, we don't have that kind of a free schedule, but the way they say it, you would think we went skipping through a field of daisies everyday, with nothing to do!! (these must be the same people who say homeschooled kids get no socialization--probably because they are skipping through fields of daisies all day ;) )