Menu

Crap. My computer updated to Windows 10.

Moxie

Quill, do I understand correctly that you are now running Quickbooks with Windows 10? If so, I am curious how that is going. I've heard dire things about the Quickbooks/Windows 10 interface and am wondering how much truth is in the warnings...

Anne

Not Quill here :001_smile: , but I can give you my experience, for what its worth.   I have been running Quickbooks with Windows 10 for months now and have absolutely no problems.

I have the PRO 2015 desktop version.  I didn't even realize there were supposed to be issues, it's been that trouble free.   :hurray:

So, maybe it depends on the version???

• Like 1

Not Quill here :001_smile: , but I can give you my experience, for what its worth. I have been running Quickbooks with Windows 10 for months now and have absolutely no problems.

I have the PRO 2015 desktop version. I didn't even realize there were supposed to be issues, it's been that trouble free. :hurray:

So, maybe it depends on the version???

Thanks, Anthem, that's very reassuring!!

Anne

• Like 1

Mine did this the other day. Whooaaaa I was mad. I'm adjusting. I got the printer hooked back up and adobe set up as my default pdf viewer again. Other than that it hasn't been too disruptive (that I've noticed yet!). I am not happy about the involuntary update but I don't know yet if I'll go through the hassle of trying to change it back. I'm afraid that'll be more of a screw up. I am seriously considering the Linux switch though! I need to download Linux (or some kind of OS) for a fried laptop so that'll give me a chance to test it out if I ever get around to actually doing it. If I like it enough this now Windows 10 desktop might get another update.

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot one of the main reasons I was super ticked off about the change.... I had a Windows 8 computer (new only about 2 yrs old now) AND .... a Windows phone. :( They were linked. No more now. Oh but can you believe the phone company has a newer version of my phone available with the Windows 10?  :banghead:   

* Just so you know I'm NOT getting the Windows 10 phone. Lumia and Cortana can kiss my phone because I'm going back Android when I get my next one. Ughhhhhhhhh

If you haven't updated yet and absolutely, positively KNOW that you will never want to The Never10 app is an easy solution.  I think it automatically runs the script that JanetC mentioned upthread.  Forbes did an article on it.  I just ran it on my system.  Quick and painless.  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/05/30/how-to-stop-windows-10-installing-automatically/#3a0bd7352a10

I feel for all of you that have already had to deal with this.  So frustrated at Microsoft right now.   :cursing:

THANK YOU! I just installed this and it took less than 1 minute. Hope I won't have to deal with unwanted upgrades.

• Like 1

Quill, do I understand correctly that you are now running Quickbooks with Windows 10? If so, I am curious how that is going. I've heard dire things about the Quickbooks/Windows 10 interface and am wondering how much truth is in the warnings...

Anne

Yes. I have had QB for a long, long time. So far any update to either system has worked just fine. I pray this remains the case.

• Like 1

Count me in as another. Mine upgraded automatically some time ago. The screen came up and when I declined it started the process anyway. I decided to go ahead and try it. I lived with it for about a week and didn't like it. I googled and found out which settings to go into to go back to my previous Windows 8.1 and haven't had any problems since then, except a little window that pops up in the lower right corner suggesting I upgrade. I just close it. I did turn off automatic updates though just in case. I don't know if I want to go back to it again. I can't remember what I didn't like about it. I just remember there was something specific that kept happening that I figured was a glitch but couldn't find a fix for. I wish I remembered.

I turned on the Dell Inspiron 660s Desktop this morning and in Windows Update I have it set only to do the Important Updates, which are for Security and Stability. It is a Windows 7 Home Premium OS.  There is an Icon in the lower right hand  corner of the screen, the rightmost icon. That has to do with the Windows 10 Upgrade, which I do not want to do.  I clicked on it, but none of the options seem to disable the Upgrade to Windows 10.  I got one Important update for Windows and am running the Anti Virus Scan now. After that finishes, I will make another "System Image" of the hard disk drive, with "Clonezilla Live".

Mentions of people who might want to convert their Windows boxes to Linux boxes here.  Many Linux Distributions have a "Live DVD".  You burn the .ISO file that you Download, to a DVD, and then you can boot from the DVD. Without changing anything on your hard disk drive, you can run that Distribution of Linux, see if you like it, and if you decide to install it, you can then install it onto your hard disk drive. I believe Linux Minit is the most popular Linux Distribution for Laptops/Desktops at this time.  

• Like 1

Count me as another unhappy customer who had her computer hijacked by Microsoft after repeatedly denying the annoying request to "upgrade" to Windows 10.  What part of the word "NO" does Microsoft not understand? :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :toetap05:

Thankfully, I was able to deny the "upgrade" after Windows 10 was installed and my computer was able to continue operating with Windows 7.

When our current laptops die, we will be switching over to  Apples even though I have never owned an Apple computer. 

Anne

I also am running QB and having no problems with Windows 10.

Well, after 30 minutes of trying to find things, I went into the setting and went back to Windows 7. There is a spot there where you can tell Microsoft why you don't like 10. I had fun filling that out. But, it is still asking me to update every 10 minutes so I have a suspicion thus will happen again.

Really, who sat in a meeting and though this was a great idea?!? DH blames Millenials.

I believe Linux Minit is the most popular Linux Distribution for Laptops/Desktops at this time.  

Popular is not always best. There are many security issues with Mint, although I guess it would be an improvement over running Windows with the critical updates turned off. Ubuntu-Mate seems to work well for recent Windows refugees who want proprietary programs such as Skype but Trisquel is more than adequate for the majority of users who don't even know what an OS is and are using their computers for document processing and web browsing.

• Like 2

I'm seriously contemplating a MacBook.  I hate Windows 10.  We had to get a new video card because Windows 10 couldn't play nice with the old one.  

Did you see my macbook thread?  This macbook and I?  Our relationship is getting pretty serious, pretty fast.  This might just need to be a long term commitment  :001_wub:   

• Like 3

Great. My up/down arrow keys have gone out on my keyboard. I'm trying not to blame this on Windows 10 until I get done tech checking but I'm pretty annoyed. As much as I type on the computer I need those keys! The keys aren't working on the on screen keyboard either so it isn't just my keyboard. Darn Windows  :glare:

• Like 1

Great. My up/down arrow keys have gone out on my keyboard. I'm trying not to blame this on Windows 10 until I get done tech checking but I'm pretty annoyed. As much as I type on the computer I need those keys! The keys aren't working on the on screen keyboard either so it isn't just my keyboard. Darn Windows  :glare:

Possibly, if you are very lucky, this has to do with a "Keymap".  Check in the Windows Control Panel for things like "Keyboard" and see if you can find a setting to tell the OS exactly what type of keyboard you have. If it happened immediately after the upgrade to Windows 10, it might be something in Windows 10 that hopefully is a setting you can correct. 

P.S. If it is a Desktop, you can try another Keyboard. If it is a Laptop, you can plug in a USB keyboard. Try to see whether the problem is Hardware or Software.  

• Like 1

I Googled for "how to prevent upgrade to windows 10" (without the quote marks) and this information is at the top of the SERPs:

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:
  1. Click Computer Configuration.
  2. Click Policies.
  3. Click Administrative Templates.
  4. Click Windows Components.
  5. Click Windows Update.
  6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
  7. Click Enable.

I'm not sure where you click to get into "Computer Configuration" (I need to Google that), but I am going to turn on our Dell Inspiron 660s and see if I can do what it shows above...  Today is June 2nd, which is the day it showed, a few days ago, that it was going to do the upgrade to Windows 10.

Follow on to my previous post about disabling the upgrade to a new Windows version.  The information I have, after googling, is that will not be possible on a Windows 7 Home Premium machine. Two of our boxes, including the Dell Inspiron 660s Desktop, have Windows 7 Home Premium OS.  The other 4 have Windows 7 Professional.  Apparently, it is possible to do that, on a Windows 7 Professional box.  

One of our Windows 7 machines is now Windows 10.  It was the 5 y.o. Dell Inspiron with the i5 processor and 8 GB ram for which Dell does not support Windows 10.  I had replaced the hard drive with a SSD successfully and (re)installed Windows 7 on it (thank you, Lanny!  I used the ebay disc).  Ds really wanted Windows 10 but I said no for a long time.  Luckily, I had updated the BIOS to A11 (if I recall the numbers correctly).  He went ahead and allowed it to update to Windows 10.  Works fine.

Our other Dell Inspirion, on which I reinstalled Windows 7, is still Windows 7.  I can't even remember whether I turned off the updates or not.  Dell does not support Windows 10 for either machine, so it would be weird if it updated itself.  It would probably explode or something (just kidding, but my understanding is that there needs to be a BIOS update for Windows 10 to work on these particular old laptops).

Is it bad of me that I marked as "spam" and "block[ed] all further messages from" Microsoft when I saw a "Welcome to Windows 10" email that I received in my inbox for some strange reason today?  :cursing:

Do they know something I don't? (I have auto updates off, but go in every week & update the ones that don't have the added Win10 bloatware in them.) Guess I'll never know since I blocked further emails.  :sneaky2:

Erm, no, Apple does not do this.

Thank goodness.

No it does not. My laptop is my first non-apple machine ever. What is with the enforced updating timeouts and constant virus scans? And adds everywhere? I feel bullied. I do everything I can on my ipad and use the computer when I HAVE to.

I get that things need updates. But, why must it be totally different in every possible way?? I can't find an effing thing!! Does Apple do this?? I'm tired of re-learning inferior versions of Windows.

Apple does not do this because they release things that work in the first place.

I have to say, "I don't have time for your crap today, Cortana!" Is the best.

Also, Windows 10, AFAIK, doesn't allow kids accounts without email. Screw that!!!

I got so fed-up with the constant Windows 10 prompts that I decided to switch over to GNU/Linux in the end, as of last night. It is wonderful!

Mentions of people who might want to convert their Windows boxes to Linux boxes here.  Many Linux Distributions have a "Live DVD".  You burn the .ISO file that you Download, to a DVD, and then you can boot from the DVD.

My kids laptops don't have DVD drive. They are having fun with Linux on their $35 raspberry pi 3 though.

Also, Windows 10, AFAIK, doesn't allow kids accounts without email.

That got me really annoyed as I could block Tanks Online and Helmet Heroes easily before Windows 10. Silly taking away a convenient parental control tool.