Menu

Do I want a macbook?

Ann.without.an.e

yup. :-) I'm a bit biased though. Our first family computer was an apple 2 back in the 80's and I've had them pretty much ever since. Everything is better on a Mac and they last a long time. I have a laptop from 2006 that DH found at the dump a few years ago. My dad cleaned it up and fixed it up a bit for me and aside from buying an occasional replacement battery, it still works well. 

• Like 3

You know, I didn't see that you said to convince you. I've not had good experiences with PCs, ever. No PC that I've ever owned has lasted more than three years. When Dell was at the height of their reputation, we owned two Dells, both of which died rapid, ugly deaths, and Dell wouldn't touch us with a 10-foot pole. Right now I own a Dell for work. My dad, a tech guy, did a ton of research and came up with this Dell for what seemed like a great deal. My dad was so convinced, my DH bought one too. Still cr@p. I have a couple of bugs in mine, and for the most awful one, I have to change a setting. Can't find it--it's not where it's supposed to be. Do more research. Finally find it, change the setting. No change in the problem. Oh, before I can do that, I have to download some patch. But that patch is old and incompatible with my current OS. So... Then there are the viruses and the constant maintenance for the PCs. My dad has had PCs last a longer time, but he's constantly doing some kind of maintenance or work on them. 

I have literally never done any of that on any of the Macs I've owned--no maintenance, virus scans, patches, upgrades. (Though I upgrade the operating systems as each one comes out.) I had one Mac laptop that lasted for nearly 7 years. It took a toddler spilling water on it repeatedly to finally do damage to it. And it still runs, but the keyboard and screen won't work. I can hook up some peripherals and still use it. The laptop I had after that lasted so long that all the software and the Internet finally got so far advanced beyond it that to upgrade it to be usable would have cost almost as much as a new one given the discounts available to me. So I bought the new one instead! This one is four years old and going strong. I do nothing to it. I've dropped it repeatedly. It just works. 

So that's my testimonial. I love Macs, and given my experience, I think they are absolutely worth the money. I'm not into trendy for trendy's sake. I don't have an iPhone. I have an iPad that I barely use (received as a gift). I will never not have a Mac.

Hope that helps you!

ETA: Just to be clear, I don't mean that iPhones or iPads are trendy for trendy's sake. I just mean that some people think that's why others like to own Apple products--because they're trendy. But that's not me. I invest in what works, and here, MacBooks are what works. They'll have to bury me with my Macbook and my HTC phone :lol:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 7

I love my MacBook Pro.

That said, if you really want a windows system, after a lot of research I recently bought this one for some of my kids (to share!) (rats!  Amazon price is now fifty bucks cheaper than when I bought it six weeks ago).  What is best will depend on your personal requirements, of course.  For the kids, I didn't want the same old Dells - we have had several which are still alive but bulky and not really hearty enough to be all that mobile.  I wanted the durability of the MacBook but without the price.  I got the 15" for dd's photo editing, so it's roughly halfway in price between the same old Dell and the MBP.

Oh, and somewhere along the way I decided I'd never buy a spinning hard drive again.  Solid state only.

• Like 1

Ehhh . . . I'm in the market for a new laptop and considered a Mac.  I'd really like to have one just because I like the simplicity of iOS (love my iPhone and iPad), but given my light usage I just can't justify the price.  Plus both of our current laptops are almost seven years old and have been trouble (and virus) free.  So I don't find the arguments for Macs in that regard to be compelling.

• Like 1

I'm listening to the responses because I'm in a similar boat. When I mentioned that I was considering a Mac to my dh, he reminded me that I despise my kids iTouches - I don't find them user friendly at.all. Plus, we run a business on Quickbooks, so I believe I would need to purchase that again, plus a few other programs...I don't know that I am sold... I am also pretty easy on my computers, every one I have replaced has just been due to old age, none have actually died on me.

I switched about 10 years ago. Scared I would not be able to move files to the Mac. Everything went smoothly, and I never looked back. We ave been an all Mac house for some time.

Apple stuff just works. Life is too short to spend time worrying about a computer. I never want to see a PC again, but I do feel compassion for those who have them, lol.

• Like 2

I adore my Mac. It starts up instantly. It works flawlessly. I can use it for forever and a day before recharging. I own no other apple products, but my macbook is amazing. 

My husband HATED apple products for forever. HATES them. Couldn't even work iTunes, despite (or because of ) being in IT as a career. But he got his hands on my macbook and was a convert. Has one himself now, and will never go back. He spends too much time at work fixing IT stuff to want to deal with it at home. 

Plus the retina display is SO easy on old eyes!

• Like 2

I'm definitely a Mac geek. I switched to Mac because my PC crashed repeatedly due to viruses, and I was sick of it. Bought an eMac then iMac and I've been hooked. My daughter had a MacBook Pro (though she did wind up selling it and getting an iMac) and loved it.

• Like 1

I'm an ecumenical here. I love Mac computers, but I prefer Windows / Android phones. For touch screen I think PCs are leading the way with the dual capability computers / touch screens.

Do you enjoy troubleshooting viruses, customizing your computer with specific memory capabilities and applications that would otherwise be forced on you with a Mac? Do you enjoy the refreshing feeling of restarting your computer repeatedly? Do you like surprises, such as the knowledge that Windows 10 only lets you create a children's account attached to an e-mail address that is NOT the e-mail address of the person with admin capabilities (so exciting!)?

If so, you'll definitely want to stick with a PC.

Otherwise, if you like boring old computers with minimal repair and investment in application support, never dealing with viruses, and a wide variety of Apps available for the phone, macbook, and iPad, you might want to consider paying a premium for a MacBook. I know I do, but hey, we also have a PC that we got to share with the kids.

And then we found out that they can't have a separate account. And then it got some random virus. But we fixed it. Windows 10 has a lot of perks, I won't deny it, and the one thing a PC will get you now is that you can have the power of a notebook computer and the fun of a touch screen. Apple opposed this for a long time and still opposes it. Drives me insane. That's why we got the PC.

But it's still a PC. Sigh.

• Like 1

I love my MacBook, a few years ago switched from a regular MacBook (which the kids use now) to a MacBook Air. Love love love it, but I've also been using Macs since they first came out. 

I also have a PC laptop that I use for gaming. I only use it for gaming, nothing else, because I just don't like the OS interface. 

• Like 1

I had a very bad experience with a MacBook. I've got 1000x more hours on the PCs we have had over the years than I have on a Mac with the same number of hardwre failures.

I mention it because Macs are not perfect. They do fail. That said...

If anything ever happens to my dh I am going to go all Apple. From what I can foresee I will always be an iPhone user and I would love to have the vertical integration. And for what I do, the software is better.

My dh is a MacFoe and I am not willing to operate in a mixed technology environment. And I've had very good success with Lenovo laptops (for me) and ASUS laptops (for my son). My dh uses our cast offs for laptop use or builds his own for desktop use. And I'm talking cast offs that are 6+ years old. We still have and use for some purposes a Dell we got in...about 2004.

ETA. Get the biggest screen you can.

Anyway, go all Mac and have fun! But they do have issues, too, from time to time.