Menu

Would this be weird?

AnnE-girl

We're three and a half weeks from closing on our home sale and purchase! I'm fairly certain that our buyers are first time homeowners and they looked pretty young when I saw them briefly while leaving on the day of their inspection. I was thinking of leaving them a potted plant for the front porch and an inexpensive bottle of Trader Joe's champagne as a little gift. Is that weird? They bought our house the day it was listed, so I like them as much as you can like strangers who saved you from keeping your house ready to show with three kids for months at a time. :-)

• Like 7

Very nice! I have left a "directory" of sorts with helpful info for the neighborhood and area. When trash day is, that the police like to hide behind the shrubs at the next to last stop sign and ticket rolling stoppers, takeout menus, etc. I also happened to have a bottle of wine that didn't fit in the moving box, so that got left too. I added a cheap corkscrew. ;)

• Like 2

When we bought our house, the seller left a personalized bottle of wine and a nice, handwritten note, telling us they hoped we would have as many good memories raising our kids here as she did.

They also left us a nice Pampered Chef bowl in the dishwasher, but I don't think that was intentional. ;-)

• Like 5

It is thoughtful of you to think of doing something nice, but if it were me I wouldn't appreciate it.  Well, I would appreciate the gesture, but not having to deal with the stuff.  DH and I do not drink alcohol, nor do we have friends that drink.  We would have no use for it and no one to give it to.  I am also not big on potted plants. I am horrible about watering them and keeping them alive.  I would feel obligated to keep it alive and feel bad when it inevitably failed.

We left a potted plant and a note on the kitchen counter when we sold our house a few years ago.

On the other side, the people who sold us our new house left us a note -- and their cats. :huh: :glare:

Cats?! I'm dying. How awful :lol:

We're also nondrinkers, and giving me a plant would be unfair to the plant. ;) But I would find the gesture nice, even though they're not things I would use myself. 

And it's a significantly better gift than what our sellers left here. We knew they were leaving the spare refrigerator in the garage. We didn't know there would be a human eye inside.

(The wife worked for an optometrist and used it for demonstrations or something like that. We got in touch and returned it to them. But still!)

• Like 5

They also left us a nice Pampered Chef bowl in the dishwasher, but I don't think that was intentional. ;-)

Ah, we found mildewed laundry in the washing machine.  I don't think that was intentional either.

And it's a significantly better gift than what our sellers left here. We knew they were leaving the spare refrigerator in the garage. We didn't know there would be a human eye inside.

(The wife worked for an optometrist and used it for demonstrations or something like that. We got in touch and returned it to them. But still!)

If there is a prize post in this thread, you win!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I do worry a little bit that they might not be drinkers. The plant would be annuals to brighten the porch because I'm not planting any in the flower beds before we move, and there isn't a lot of color in front of the house otherwise.

The house will be as clean as possible and our pets our definitely coming with us. Those poor kitties that got left behind!

• Like 1

Our last seller when we bought this house left us a tray of homemade chocolate chip cookies and a list of all the utility companies and their phone numbers. It made switching everything over very easy. I think your idea is very nice. If you're afraid to leave alcohol, leave a bottle of white grape juice or something that even kids can have.

I really like the idea to leave the bathroom(s) usable (pack of toilet paper, new hand soap, hand towels) and a pizza gift card!

Kleenex sells disposable hand towels in a box that is design to sit on a towel rack. Also, if doing a pizza card one could leave a pack of cute plates and napkins.

• Like 1