Menu

What makes a basement a bedroom?

Night Elf

Zillow calls my house a 4 BR 2 BA home with a partial basement. It's a split level home. Upstairs is 3 BR and in the partial basement we have the 4th BR that has a closet that extends under the stairs. There is no bathroom down there. I just thought I had a 3 BR house with a partial finished basement. Can I really call my house a 4 BR?

Here's another article from an Atlanta realtor about what constitutes a "modern" bedroom. Excerpt:

It is reasonable to expect the following in “modern†bedrooms:

• a closet
  • a window
  • a ceiling height of 7’ or more
  • a dedicated, securable entry with no “thru†traffic
  • area enough to accommodate a small bedroom set

Zillow calls my house a 4 BR 2 BA home with a partial basement. It's a split level home. Upstairs is 3 BR and in the partial basement we have the 4th BR that has a closet that extends under the stairs. There is no bathroom down there. I just thought I had a 3 BR house with a partial finished basement. Can I really call my house a 4 BR?

you might want to check regulations for where you live.  here - a bedroom must have a closet, and a window large enough for egress in an emergency.

btw: zillow is NOT reliable. 

That's not just "reasonable" where we are.  It's city code.  At least for rentals.

For selling a house, you may be able to call it whatever you want, but a realtor may have good knowledge about what will draw in the buyers that are most interested in your house.  "Four bedroom" may imply a house that's got 4 bedrooms upstairs.  Putting that in the description may bring in a lot of potential buyers who expect that, and who then wouldn't be interested in buying.  Meanwhile, it may put off people who really are interested in a 3 bedroom place.  At the price your house would be valued at, a 4 bedroom listing might seem like a lot of house, and therefore probably not in good shape or the price wouldn't be so low.  So people looking for 3 bedrooms might skip it.

But, it being zillow, you can edit.  If you really want.  It is possible that your tax assessment is based on 3 bedrooms so you might not want word getting out that you've got 4.  (If any assessors look at zillow...)

A bedroom has to have an exit (door or window to outside that a person can use if necessary).

In my area a bedroom is also supposed to have a closet (so a real estate agent told me).

The bathroom can be anywhere in the house, but I wouldn't rent out a room that didn't have a full bath on the same floor (either shared or unshared) and I would think not having that would seriously reduce the rent.

Well, according to that article my downstairs room is definitely a bedroom. I just wish there was a bathroom. Poor dd18. She has to come upstairs every time she needs to use the facilities.

Around here where most houses had to have bathrooms added after indoor plumbing because a "thing," almost every house only has one bathroom and it is often not on the same floor as some or all of the bedrooms.  Anytime I think to worry about that, I remember how lucky we are to not have to go outside to use the bathroom!

• Like 2

Here, it must have a window and I'd thought it needed a closet, but maybe not. Our house is a 5 BR, according the RE agents, and our paperwork. It has large picture window, built in bookshelves but no built in closet. It does have a large armoire that conveyed.

I work for the Board of Health in my town and we have the final say on what is a bedroom and what isn't.

We consider a room a bedroom if it:

- is at least 70 sq. feet

- has two exits

- has electricity

- has privacy

Closets do not matter, nor does it matter what "you" use it for. If it meets those criteria its a bedroom. When people want to add a room that they want to use as a study and not have it be considered a bedroom the easiest thing to do is to widen the door opening so that a standard door will not fit it.

I work for the Board of Health in my town and we have the final say on what is a bedroom and what isn't.

We consider a room a bedroom if it:

- is at least 70 sq. feet

- has two exits

- has electricity

- has privacy

Closets do not matter, nor does it matter what "you" use it for. If it meets those criteria its a bedroom. When people want to add a room that they want to use as a study and not have it be considered a bedroom the easiest thing to do is to widen the door opening so that a standard door will not fit it.

Ah. This room doesn't have a standard door. Right now it's an accordion door.

Before I bought my first house, I read the textbook to get your Real Estate Appraisers License in Texas.  One thing it had, but which was news to every agent I talked to, the room must be at least 8'x8'.   At the time, many new tract home McMansions were claiming 5 or 6 bedrooms when three of them were 6'x8'. 

Local codes are going to vary, as do the tax implications.

When we were looking into building, many of the floor plans for "3 bedrooms" included a second floor space with a mostly open wall that could easily convert to a wall with door... after the tax assessment was done.  Wink, wink implied.

That's not just "reasonable" where we are.  It's city code.  At least for rentals.

For selling a house, you may be able to call it whatever you want, but a realtor may have good knowledge about what will draw in the buyers that are most interested in your house.  "Four bedroom" may imply a house that's got 4 bedrooms upstairs.  Putting that in the description may bring in a lot of potential buyers who expect that, and who then wouldn't be interested in buying.  Meanwhile, it may put off people who really are interested in a 3 bedroom place.  At the price your house would be valued at, a 4 bedroom listing might seem like a lot of house, and therefore probably not in good shape or the price wouldn't be so low.  So people looking for 3 bedrooms might skip it.

But, it being zillow, you can edit.  If you really want.  It is possible that your tax assessment is based on 3 bedrooms so you might not want word getting out that you've got 4.  (If any assessors look at zillow...)

dd and dsil were looking at a house listed as five bedrooms.  one of those was what was *supposed* to be the office *next to the front door*.  sorry - that is NOT a bedroom.  I think another was really a bonus room.

depending upon your area - redfin is better.  I had far better luck looking at their site than zillow. 

Closets, by the way, are not required by city code where we live.

In my area it's not a code thing but a real estate thing.  When it comes to listing, numerous realtors have mentioned that is how they determine - if it has a closet and fire egress.