Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW15: Edith Wharton

Robin M

This almost makes me want to start an IRL book club in my home...

How to Host a Successful Bookclub

Me too.  I just wish I had 6-9 friends IRL who actually read books!  :sad:

Thanks for sharing the link, Jenn.  It was a nice article.

If you both lived closer, I'd invite you to join my group.

Do you have a local independent book store?  That's a good place to ask if they know of any book groups that you might join.  You might also ask a librarian or, if possible, post a message at your library. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cartography and its Discontents by Brian Staveley

Thank you for this link!  It is very timely as I am revisiting Ken Jenning's book Maphead.  And, I am a lover of all maps, and spend lots of time pouring over maps in my epic fantasy novels.  I remember the most frustrating part of reading LoTR as a teen was not having a good sized map of Middle Earth. The tiny maps in my well worn paperbacks were too awful!!

As the noted in the comments section of this article, one of the problems with both kindle and audio versions of fantasy books is that you don't get the maps. I wish it was standard practice for audible in particular to offer an on-line link to graphics.

• Like 7

I am reading Gluten is My BitchI can't remember now how I came to hear about this book or her blog. However, I have to say I am happy to finally find someone who is willing to vent openly about how sucky it is to have celiac, and doesn't wax on about the glorious gf diet. She admits to gluten envy and talks about the deprivation of this forced lifestyle/diet. It's not all negative though. She complains in a humorous way, and does talk about a few things to be grateful for. However, her book/blog are like a breath of fresh, honest air about the feelings of being celiac. It's nice to not always read HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY WONDERFUL gf life. Cause sometimes you just aren't feeling so happy or grateful. Sometimes you feel ticked off. Sometimes (okay lots of times) you feel jealous that other people can eat all the yummy, stretchy, gooey, flaky, gluten-filled, goodies while you can't. Not even a little bit. Not even a tiny bite. Ever again. For the rest of your life. So, I appreciate an author willing to speak honestly and her sense of humor is a fun bonus. 

She keeps it real. Like admitting that yes, we should probably buy 15+ different flours like amaranth, millet, almond, coconut, teff, etc. and mix and match to make perfectly healthy and nutritious flour base for different recipes. Yet, let's face life. Sometimes you just want some freaking pancakes sans the science experiment so it's nice to just grab a lovely pre-made all purpose bag of gf flour to whip up a batch of non-nutritious carb discs.  

Plus, she's got some pretty yummy looking recipes in the book that I can't wait to try. I have this from the library, but I may need to buy this one. 

• Like 13

I don't usually give up on books but I have with Furiously Happy.  While Lawson can be hysterically funny one moment while stabbing you with poignancy the next, there is an unevenness to the essays in this book.  I read over two hundred pages but decided last night that I just don't have it in me to finish.  So back to the library it went.  I am wondering if I should pull Furiously Happy off the shelf on future library visits (assuming it is sitting there waiting for me) in order to read an essay or two, should I be in the mood.  I might consider this.

But I just could not sustain Lawson's voice for the long run. 

So it goes...

• Like 7

Last night I read the short romance Signing Bonus (Chicago Series Book 3) by Elizabeth Marx.  This was a pleasant read, but it didn't have the same oomph (how's that for a quantifiable characteristic?) as some of the author's other books.  I'm unlikely to re-read this.  (Adult content.)

"Chicago sports agent, Cyrus Fletcher is giving the full court press to an NBA rookie to sign with his agency by gifting him a weekend jaunt in Las Vegas. But the rookie wants to make it a couple's weekend and Fletch needs a date. Fletch has had his eye on a particular woman, but he hasn't found the right way to approach her until she cold calls his office looking for work. Fletch devises a plan that will net him the rookie, a rewarding weekend with the sexiest redhead he's ever seen, and a huge signing bonus.

Tricia is the Master of Many Trades, but her public relations business is tanking because she's used some of her start up cash to care for her ailing father. If Tricia doesn't book a big-time client soon, not only will she be evicted from her office building, she's going to lose every penny she's already invested. When Fletch makes her an offer to pose as his 'date' for the weekend, she can't refuse the money. Tricia's only problem is, Fletch doesn't believe she's in PR, he thinks she's a master of the oldest profession, but Tricia is savvy enough to seize the opportunity to save her company without giving 'it' up.

Sometimes what happens in Vegas doesn't end in Vegas."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

My dad is out of the hospital & he & my mom are back at the hotel. Mom says he is marching up & down the halls for his 15 minutes of walking & that he doesn't even look like someone who had surgery yesterday afternoon. He seems to be doing incredibly well. (I thought he was probably doing pretty well since he sent me a grinning hospital selfie at 10pm last night, lol.)

In book-related news, I have to say thanks to Kareni. When I mentioned my ds enjoying Ready Player One, Kareni provided a few links to book lists of similar suggested reading. Ds just finished a book from one of the lists & really enjoyed it (& is saying I have to read it): JPod by Douglas Coupland.

I've made good forward progress in Narconomics & hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow. I'm probably the last person on Earth who would choose to read an economics-based book, but this one has been very interesting, informative, & entertaining (given the author's dry British humor). A great addition to the cartel-reading I've done over the last year.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 14

I need some help!  Those of you who have read World War Z and seen the movie...does the book EVER connect with the movie!?!?  I really loved the movie and was looking forward to the book but I"m 100 pages in and it's nothing like the movie.  If none of the movie story line is in there, I think I'm ready to give it up.  

• Like 6

I've made good forward progress in Narconomics & hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow. I'm probably the last person on Earth who would choose to read an economics-based book, but this one has been very interesting, informative, & entertaining (given the author's dry British humor). A great addition to the cartel-reading I've done over the last year.

It's okay. We don't hold it (too much) against you. Says the person who reads neuroscience books for fun. 

Now it's my turn to ask for book suggestions. This is the best place for that. My 6th grader (but emotionally younger) and high reading ability is looking for what to read next. He wants something like Percy Jackson, Magnus Chase, The Menagerie, etc. He loves stories with animals....but happy stories. He is still mad at me for having him read Rascal and watch Old Yeller (although that was my dh who got him to watch that. I warned him) . He's reading the kids' version of James Herriot at the moment. He loved the book Young Fredle and has reread it several times. I'm drawing a blank because books tend deal with not so happy things as reading level increases. I want to continue to expand his vocabulary/reading skill while respecting his sensitivity. His leisure books should make him happy at this point in his life. 

• Like 5

Murder at the Vicarage is an old favorite that my mom gave to me when I was a kid. I have to ask her, because we never discussed the books and I'm not even sure she ever read any of them. But she is the one who would come home from yard sales and used bookstores with all the Agatha she could find.

My library doesn't have Spark Joy, but I did read the first book this year. What did you like better about Spark Joy? I don't even have any hope of ever getting truly tidied up but I did start folding my laundry and that made a huge difference since I, um, didn't before.

I love A Single Shard, too. My oldest read it recently and at first I didn't think it was going over well but in the end, it was well-love.

One of the biggest things I didn't like about first book is that there was lots of discussion like "be sure to thank your socks for good days work when you neatly fold them and put them away at night".  It was too much for me.  The sequel had less of that and seemed more down to earth.  Still pretty over the top but not as much as the first book. 

Yummy!  My favorite!

:scared:  :hurray:  Let's keep it that way shall we!

I was too sick to concentrate on reading over the weekend but  was able to listen to my audio book.  I finished Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings.  It was a comfort to listen to one of my favorite stories.  I was able to drift off to sleep without worrying about missing anything (though I still rewound it when I woke up).  I'm getting used to the reader's voice and just enjoying the story again.

Our April book theme (IRL book club) is Birds, a book with a bird in the title or a book about birds or a book with a bird as a character.  I chose one of my favorite Lori Wick books to revisit, The Hawk and the Jewel.  I started it last week before I got sick and was finally able to concentrate enough to finish it today.  Brandon Hawksbury has got to be one of my favorite heroes.  It has been quite a few years since I have read this, and though it is still one of my favorite stories, I did find the writing more simplistic than I remember.  It's kind of funny how that happens.  Like I said, still one of my favorites.  

Thanks for all the well wishes!  I'm still battling a cough and crazy fatigue but better than I was over the weekend.  I'm trying to rest up as the first round of Mary Poppins performances start Friday night.  

Hope you get feeling better!

Thank you for this link!  It is very timely as I am revisiting Ken Jenning's book Maphead.  And, I am a lover of all maps, and spend lots of time pouring over maps in my epic fantasy novels.  I remember the most frustrating part of reading LoTR as a teen was not having a good sized map of Middle Earth. The tiny maps in my well worn paperbacks were too awful!!

As the noted in the comments section of this article, one of the problems with both kindle and audio versions of fantasy books is that you don't get the maps. I wish it was standard practice for audible in particular to offer an on-line link to graphics.

YES!  I hate the lack of maps or family trees on audible.  Makes me crazy.  Do you recommend the Ken Jenning's book for someone who likes map but isn't obsessed? 

Before I got married I lived with my grandmother and we used to watch Jeopardy every night.  It was so much fun seeing Ken Jennings win and not knowing how long his streak would last. 

I am reading Gluten is My BitchI can't remember now how I came to hear about this book or her blog. However, I have to say I am happy to finally find someone who is willing to vent openly about how sucky it is to have celiac, and doesn't wax on about the glorious gf diet. She admits to gluten envy and talks about the deprivation of this forced lifestyle/diet. It's not all negative though. She complains in a humorous way, and does talk about a few things to be grateful for. However, her book/blog are like a breath of fresh, honest air about the feelings of being celiac. It's nice to not always read HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY WONDERFUL gf life. Cause sometimes you just aren't feeling so happy or grateful. Sometimes you feel ticked off. Sometimes (okay lots of times) you feel jealous that other people can eat all the yummy, stretchy, gooey, flaky, gluten-filled, goodies while you can't. Not even a little bit. Not even a tiny bite. Ever again. For the rest of your life. So, I appreciate an author willing to speak honestly and her sense of humor is a fun bonus. 

She keeps it real. Like admitting that yes, we should probably buy 15+ different flours like amaranth, millet, almond, coconut, teff, etc. and mix and match to make perfectly healthy and nutritious flour base for different recipes. Yet, let's face life. Sometimes you just want some freaking pancakes sans the science experiment so it's nice to just grab a lovely pre-made all purpose bag of gf flour to whip up a batch of non-nutritious carb discs.  

Plus, she's got some pretty yummy looking recipes in the book that I can't wait to try. I have this from the library, but I may need to buy this one. 

A dear friend of mine that loves food was just diagnosed celiac.  I feel awful for her but she has the best attitude so far.  This book sounds like the perfect birthday gift for her. 

• Like 7

Now it's my turn to ask for book suggestions. This is the best place for that. My 6th grader (but emotionally younger) and high reading ability is looking for what to read next. He wants something like Percy Jackson, Magnus Chase, The Menagerie, etc. He loves stories with animals....but happy stories. He is still mad at me for having him read Rascal and watch Old Yeller (although that was my dh who got him to watch that. I warned him) . He's reading the kids' version of James Herriot at the moment. He loved the book Young Fredle and has reread it several times. I'm drawing a blank because books tend deal with not so happy things as reading level increases. I want to continue to expand his vocabulary/reading skill while respecting his sensitivity. His leisure books should make him happy at this point in his life. 

Maybe try the Children of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr? Not really animal based, but I'm suggesting this since you mention that he likes Percy Jackson.

• Like 5

Tonight was a re-read for me of a novella I read for the first time a couple of months ago.  I enjoyed it again.  (Adult content.)

His Road Home by Anna Richland

"Winner of Romance Writers of America's 2015 RITA® Award for Best Romance Novella "Richland packs a novel's worth of plot and characterization into this tantalizing novella. " —Publishers Weekly, starred review

Special Forces medic Rey Cruz needs to find a fiancée, fast, or he'll end up in a marriage orchestrated by an Afghan warlord. Finding a picture online of a girl he barely knew back home, he fakes an engagement photo, thinking no one else will see it. But when Rey loses both legs and the ability to speak while rescuing a local boy, the image goes viral.

Seattle marine biologist Grace Kim is shocked to find out she's engaged. When she's offered a plane ticket to visit her "fiancé," she takes it, looking for the answer to one question: Why did he lie? Touched by Rey's funny texts and the determination she sees in him, Grace offers her friendship—a big step for someone who prefers whales to most company.

And when Rey is finally sent home, Grace agrees to help him drive his classic car cross-country over Thanksgiving—a once-in-a-lifetime road trip that leads to what feels like real love. In front of his friends and family, she plays the caring fiance, but what place will Grace have in Rey's new life once he's ready to be on his own again?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

About animal books, my 6th grader is into the Redwall series. It is full of animals. However, even though the endings are somewhat happy, they have lots of battles.

Some other animal books he has enjoyed:

The Mouse and the Motorcycle books by Beverly Cleary

Ribsy

Marguerite Henry's horse books

Mr. Revere and I

Ben and Me

The Cricket in Times Square

The Great Turkey Walk

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Wind in the Willows

Not exactly an animal book, but he really liked the Phantom Tollbooth.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 9

It's okay. We don't hold it (too much) against you. Says the person who reads neuroscience books for fun. 

Has he read My Side of the Mountain and its sequels? It's not specifically about animals, but ds loved those books. 

I am reading Gluten is My BitchI can't remember now how I came to hear about this book or her blog. However, I have to say I am happy to finally find someone who is willing to vent openly about how sucky it is to have celiac, and doesn't wax on about the glorious gf diet. She admits to gluten envy and talks about the deprivation of this forced lifestyle/diet. It's not all negative though. She complains in a humorous way, and does talk about a few things to be grateful for. However, her book/blog are like a breath of fresh, honest air about the feelings of being celiac. It's nice to not always read HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY WONDERFUL gf life. 

I have one IRL friend who has celiac but several who don't eat gluten because they think that makes them healthier. I noticed it's the fashionably gluten-free who are HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY about gluten-free food. Glad you found an author who can commiserate.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 11

I have one IRL friend who has celiac but several who don't eat gluten because they think that makes them healthier. I noticed it's the fashionably gluten-free who are HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY about gluten free food. Glad you found an author who can commiserate.

This does seem to be true.  They can feel proud of themselves as they reject the "evil" gluten containing foods even though they'd be perfectly fine if they ate it while those of us with Celiac are forced to pass (or get really sick).  Just yesterday I was saying I'd really love a nice, crusty French bread.  Of course if I actually ate a nice, crusty French bread, I'd not be able to leave my house for the next week and would be sick for a month.  It's easy to pass knowing how sick it makes me, but it doesn't mean I'd love to eat stuff with gluten or go back to the pre-diagnosis convenience of not having to think ahead, make from scratch, and google to see if things are safe.

• Like 10

This does seem to be true.  They can feel proud of themselves as they reject the "evil" gluten containing foods even though they'd be perfectly fine if they ate it while those of us with Celiac are forced to pass (or get really sick).  Just yesterday I was saying I'd really love a nice, crusty French bread.  Of course if I actually ate a nice, crusty French bread, I'd not be able to leave my house for the next week and would be sick for a month.  It's easy to pass knowing how sick it makes me, but it doesn't mean I'd love to eat stuff with gluten or go back to the pre-diagnosis convenience of not having to think ahead, make from scratch, and google to see if things are safe.

:grouphug:   I know a few people like that.   They don't seem to get that by making gluten-free a fad, they're making it harder for people who truly do have celiac.

My daughter was in a potluck line once and a kid in front of her asked his dad about a cake labeled "gluten free."  The dad said "oh, that's for people with fake gluten allergies."  My daughter has 2 friends with celiac, and she was so mad.  She didn't want to start something with an adult so said nothing, but I'm looking for an opportunity to educate the guy without ratting out my own kid. 

Of course I'm not sure what good it does to put a gluten free cake on a table covered with gluten containing items, and with people using any old knife they find to cut the cake.  

She has had experiences at camp with teen girls who don the gluten-free mantle without even knowing what it means.  One once turned down plain potatoes because of the gluten in them.  Oy.

• Like 7

About animal books, my 6th grader is into the Redwall series. It is full of animals. However, even though the endings are somewhat happy, they have lots of battles.

Some other animal books he has enjoyed:

The Mouse and the Motorcycle books by Beverly Cleary

Ribsy

Marguerite Henry's horse books

Mr. Revere and I

Ben and Me

The Cricket in Times Square

The Great Turkey Walk

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Wind in the Willows

Not exactly an animal book, but he really liked the Phantom Tollbooth.

Thanks for the list. He's read most of these but there are a few he hasn't. I tried him once with Redwall. He didn't take to it, however maybe he would now as he's a few years older. He loved all the Cleary books. He also loved the Black Stallion and some of the sequels so I'll check out the horse books above. 

Trumpet of the Swan is another one he really liked. 

Mom Ninja, We read the Children of the Lamp series also and enjoyed it.

The only animal book that came to mind is Kildee Househttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/334811.Kildee_House. It was qa read aloud that we all loved. I can't really remember but think it had a relatively happy ending.

I think I even have Kildee House on a shelf somewhere.....   sigh, I need to have a library system in my house. 

Maybe try the Children of the Lamp series by P.B. Kerr? Not really animal based, but I'm suggesting this since you mention that he likes Percy Jackson.

Thanks, I will check it out. 

Has he read My Side of the Mountain and its sequels? It's not specifically about animals, but ds loved those books. 

I have one IRL friend who has celiac but several who don't eat gluten because they think that makes them healthier. I noticed it's the fashionably gluten-free who are HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY about gluten-free food. Glad you found an author who can commiserate.

Yes, he just finished the series. 

As for the happy gf folks that is exactly what the author says. She says you can tell the difference between fad dieters vs people with real gluten issues by how they declare their gf status. The trendy dieter is proud of it and announces it with glee or superiority. The celiac or gluten intolerant only shares their gf status when needed and usually does so shamefaced and feeling like an idiot. She is absolutely spot on in regards to me. I always feel stupid and embarrassed if I have to tell someone I'm gf. Cause the vast majority of people roll their eyes and think I'm one of "those people."

:grouphug:   I know a few people like that.   They don't seem to get that by making gluten-free a fad, they're making it harder for people who truly do have celiac.

My daughter was in a potluck line once and a kid in front of her asked his dad about a cake labeled "gluten free."  The dad said "oh, that's for people with fake gluten allergies."  My daughter has 2 friends with celiac, and she was so mad.  She didn't want to start something with an adult so said nothing, but I'm looking for an opportunity to educate the guy without ratting out my own kid. 

Of course I'm not sure what good it does to put a gluten free cake on a table covered with gluten containing items, and with people using any old knife they find to cut the cake.  

She has had experiences at camp with teen girls who don the gluten-free mantle without even knowing what it means.  One once turned down plain potatoes because of the gluten in them.  Oy.

Actually, when I read this I took it the other way. I automatically thought the dad said the gf cake was for people who imagine they have gluten problems when really they don't and are just claiming gf to be cool. Because any person with a real gluten problem would not get anywhere near that cake. Personally that's how I can tell if someone has a true medical reason or not to be gf. Does the person happily and excitedly reach for the gf labeled food on communal buffet tables? Yes? Then they are not truly celiac or gluten intolerant. 

I went to a Bar Mitzvah a few months ago and there was gf challah. It was sitting on the same platter as the regular challah. It was cut with the same knife. And people looked at me with raised eyebrows and disdain when I politely declined the challah to partake in the blessing. I noticed that a few of the people there who were claiming gluten intolerance made a point of saying how wonderful it was that gf bread was there so that they would not feel excluded as they happily ate it and looked at me sideways with a sneer. Yep, go ahead and think I'm rude. I'm not the one who feels the need to jump on the latest hipster diet fad in order to be cool. I'm cool without the diva attention of fake food intolerance. :cool: One woman there was trying to commiserate with me about the evil gluten. She told me she got gassy from gluten so she totally knows what it's like to be celiac. Can you imagine something so awful? :001_rolleyes:  People, I get gassy from cauliflower. I don't go around announcing I am cauliflower intolerant and cauliflower is evil.  

So, I can see myself totally saying what that dad said. The cake is there for people with fake gluten allergies. 

• Like 7

<snip>

Actually, when I read this I took it the other way. I automatically thought the dad said the gf cake was for people who imagine they have gluten problems when really they don't and are just claiming gf to be cool. Because any person with a real gluten problem would not get anywhere near that cake. Personally that's how I can tell if someone has a true medical reason or not to be gf. Does the person happily and excitedly reach for the gf labeled food on communal buffet tables? Yes? Then they are not truly celiac or gluten intolerant. 

I went to a Bar Mitzvah a few months ago and there was gf challah. It was sitting on the same platter as the regular challah. It was cut with the same knife. And people looked at me with raised eyebrows and disdain when I politely declined the challah to partake in the blessing. I noticed that a few of the people there who were claiming gluten intolerance made a point of saying how wonderful it was that gf bread was there so that they would not feel excluded as they happily ate it and looked at me sideways with a sneer. Yep, go ahead and think I'm rude. I'm not the one who feels the need to jump on the latest hipster diet fad in order to be cool. I'm cool without the diva attention of fake food intolerance. :cool: One woman there was trying to commiserate with me about the evil gluten. She told me she got gassy from gluten so she totally knows what it's like to be celiac. Can you imagine something so awful? :001_rolleyes:  People, I get gassy from cauliflower. I don't go around announcing I am cauliflower intolerant and cauliflower is evil.  

So, I can see myself totally saying what that dad said. The cake is there for people with fake gluten allergies. 

Huh, I didn't think of it that way.  You may be right. Knowing the guy, I could see it either way.  I will be careful in my judgments, though.  Thanks for the perspective! 

• Like 5

Morgan seems to have very similar tastes to your ds.  A couple of things she had *loved* that I haven't seen mentioned:

Mr. and Mrs. Bunny, Detectives Extraordinaire - Polly Horvath (and the sequel, Lord and Lady Bunny)  - I know "Bunny" may sound weird for a 6th grade boy, but these bunnies aren't the cute and fluffy kind, they are witty, sarcastic, and hilarious! Morgan has read both of these multiple times plus listened to the audiobook read by the author so many times that she can practically quote it. It's a book I even have fun listening to, so great for car trips.

Another series she adores is the Nanny Piggins series. 

She likes animal stories and sarcastic, snarky voices like Percy.  These series seem to combine both. And they are funny/happy stories. Some dangerous situations for our heroes, but never anything that actually alarms you.

• Like 8

For the life of me, I can't remember how many of these I already posted. In the last week, I finished reading - 

1.     The Secret of the Swamp King and The Way of the Wilderking  by Jonathan Rogers. Pre-read for DS. We both enjoyed this series.

2.      The Wild Muir: Twenty-Two of John Muir’s Greatest Adventures - finished this book as a Morning Time read aloud and I can't remember whether or not I already posted this. 

3.      All the Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr and I vaguely remember mentioning this. Loved this book.

4.      The Eagle Tree – Ned Hayes. This was a free Amazon Prime book for the month of April. Highly recommend. Written from the perspective of a teen with ASD and his obsessive focus on trees (especially on climbing them).

5.      Murder on Warbler Weekend (Bob White Birder Mystery #2) – Jan Dunlap. Second in the series. Gripping plot and a fun read.

6.      Keep Your Courage – Carter Heyward. A collection of theological essays.

7.      Tippy Toe Murder (Lucy Stone Mystery #2) - Leslie Meier. I am enjoying this series of mysteries. Trigger warning: domestic violence and childhood sexual abuse, neither described in graphic detail. Spoiler Alert.

The ending is empowering to women.

One of the books I am now reading is Susan Hill's Howards End is on the Landing. She  writes about her year reading the books she already owns or borrows from the library (which is exactly what I am doing this year. Here's a quote from the early pages:

"The start of the journey also coincided with my decision to curtail my use of the internet, which can have an insidious, corrosive effect. Too much internet usage fragments the brain and dissipates concentration so that after a while, one's ability to spend long, focused hours immersed in a single subject becomes blunted. Informations comes pre-digested in small pieces, one grazes on endless ready-meals and snacks of the mind, and the result is mental malnutrition.... Rationing it (internet usage) strictly gave me back more than time. Within a few days, my attention span increased again, my butterfly-brain settled down and I was able to spend longer periods concentrating on single topics, difficult long books, subjects requiring my full focus. It was like diving into a deep, cool ocean after flitting about in the shallows, Slow Reading as against Gobbling-up."

Now it's my turn to ask for book suggestions. 

Bunnicula!!  It was a huge favorite in our household when our boys were late elementary to early middle school age. Other favorites included Babe by Dick King Smith (we love the movie, too) and I, Houdini about a pet hamster who is a master escape artist. That last one might be a little young for your ds, mom-ninja, but it was a huge favorite.  I believe Dick King Smith has several other animal books.  Each of the books, along with the Harry Potter series, are books my now young adult sons turn to when they are sick!

Another good fantasy series with a very sarcastic and funny main character, an ancient djinn, is the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. 

And, for a change of pace, how about a beautifully drawn graphic novel series?  Mouse Guard looks like it is a rip off of Redwall, but the artist actually developed the series long before he ever heard of those books. There is even an RPG/ tabletop game based the series.  You can check out some of the artwork by clicking on "preview gallery" here.

• Like 9

If anybody wants to try something a little different from Wharton, I discovered this last year: The Ghost Feeler, a set of really good spooky/occult short stories.  Sort of cozy horror stories, if that makes sense.

Many, if not all, of these stories were also printed under different titles. I have an old copy of The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton. I need to go through the contents to see if the The Ghost Feeler has any different stories. If it does, I might order it.  I'm glad you mentioned it. Thanks!

I love what she says in the preface of The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton:

No, I don't believe in ghosts, but I'm afraid of them. 

She says much more, but that wording has always stuck with me. 

Ethan Frome and Summer are two other titles I'm not sure were mentioned in this thread. My dd read the ghost stories first, so she presumed Ethan Frome was a ghost story.  :laugh:  Um, no.  :lol:   She finished it anyway, and we had a good discussion about it. I vividly remember my first time reading it, so it was interesting to compare notes.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 7

I need some help!  Those of you who have read World War Z and seen the movie...does the book EVER connect with the movie!?!?  I really loved the movie and was looking forward to the book but I"m 100 pages in and it's nothing like the movie.  If none of the movie story line is in there, I think I'm ready to give it up.  

It doesn't really ever follow the story line. I haven't read it, but my daughter has. She said she was surprised how little it was like the movie. She enjoyed both, though.

• Like 6

I finished a book!

Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel by Tom Wainwright was an interesting & informative look at the business of illegal (& some legal) drugs through an economist's eyes. Dare I even say it was also funny in a few places (because of the author's dry British wit)? I'm not the usual type who would read an economics-based book, yet this was a fascinating, quick, easy-to-read overview of the drug trade. Since the drug industry is international in scope, he tackles it from the angles an economist would use to assess any global business, including supply chain, mergers, people/personnel, PR, offshoring, franchising, R&D, online sales, diversification, & laws. Wainwright's analysis looks also at the current war on drugs (which obviously isn't working as he points out, "the 'all-out war' approach has failed to cut the number of consumers, while it has driven up the price of a few cheap agricultural commodities to create a hideously violent, $300-billion global industry") & provides some suggestions of better ways to try approaching the "war on drugs". Fits-in perfectly with other cartel-related reading I've done in the past year. Recommended.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 14

I just finished another title for book club, of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan. Definitely of the magical realism genre... though it seems to me the genre should be called magical surrealism.
While I did like the way these fantastical events revealed truths about parent-child, husband-wife relationships, the spirit world was sometimes a little much for this 21st century reader. I don't know if it's too much reading of BaW threads or if I was unduly influenced by the author info on the book cover, but I was wondering if some of the elements could have been inspired by traditional tales from China or Indonesia. Like a fairytale, the main characters and events were a bit predictable. Overall it was a quick read that sucked me into an interesting world.

• Like 8

Gosh, I haven't posted on one of these threads for a very long time. Last year was very stressful for a number of reasons, and I didn't find much time to read. In the last couple of months I have *finally* gotten back to my reading habit. So glad to be posting here again!!

Here's what I've read so far this year:

1. Illuminae - Kaufman. A unique YA sci-fi story that unfolds as you read through a file full of documents: interviews, maps, memos, online messages, etc. Interesting format but a bit overly dramatic storyline.

2. The Bone Season - Shannon (re-read).

3. The Mime Order (second in series). I am enjoying these and looking forward to the next installment.

4. The Welsh Fairy Book - published by Forgotten Books. My girls and I loved reading through this compilation of old Welsh fairy tales over the last year.

5. The Queen of the Tearling - Johansen (re-read).

6. The Invasion of the Tearling (second in series). I enjoyed the first book, but the second got a bit too dark for my taste.

7. A Darker Shade of Magic - Schwab and

8. A Gathering of Shadows (second in series). These two are my favorites of the year. So fun, magic-filled, and with well-written characters.

Next I am re-reading the first three books of Valente's Fairyland series before continuing with books four and five. I'm hoping to convince dd11 to read them after she finishes her current (third) re-read of the Harry Potter series. ;)

Edited by lovelearnandlive
  • Like 8

Back from the desert to my lovely humid home, and finished Challenge by Vita Sackville-West. This was supposedly a controversial book, written by Sackville-West during (and in part reflective of) her scandalous absconding with childhood friend Violet Keppel in 1919. Sackville-West was convinced by their husbands (who came to get them) that it was probably best left unpublished; and after reading it, I have to agree. Scandalous it may have been; but the writing is overwrought, the improbable plot sluggish for the first half, the ending predictable ... and the hero Julian is possibly the most annoying Mary Sue in literary history.

'Freedom, Julian! Romance! The world before us, to roam at will; fairs to dance at; strange people to consort with, to see the smile in their eyes, and the tolerant "Lovers!" forming on their lips. To tweak the nose of Propriety, to snatch away the chair on which she would sit down! Who in their senses would harness the divine courser to a mail-cart?"

She seemed to him lit by an inner radiance, that shone through her eyes and glowed richly in her smile.

'Vagabond!' he said, 'Is life to be one long carnival?'

'And one long honesty. I'll own you before the world--and court its disapproval. I'll release you--no, I'll leave you--when you tire of me. I wouldn't clip love's golden wings. I wouldn't irk you with promises, blackmail you into perjury, wring from you an oath we both should know was made only to be broken. We'll leave that to middle-age. Middle-age--I have been told there is such a thing? Sometimes it is fat, sometimes it is wan, surely it is always dreary! It may be wise and successful and contented. Sometimes, I'm told, it even loves. We are young. Youth!' she said, sinking her voice, 'the winged and the divine.'

I have Sackville-West's Joan of Arc, but now I have to seriously reconsider my plans to read it. Back to Trollope and Newman for a while I think.

• Like 9

Another quote from Susan Hill's Howards End is on the Landing (Note the British spellings):

'I'll tidy your books for you,' a so-called friend said, coming to the house and declaring that she did not know how I stood it. 'I'll categorise them and re-organise them so that you'll never lose one again.'

How can she not understand that if I let her do such a terrible thing as organise my books, I would never find what I was looking for again? Worse, there would never be any wonderful surprises, as I look for X and Y but, mirabile dictu, find Z, which I thought I had lost years ago. Never the marvellous juxtaposition of a biography of Marilyn Monroe next to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

You've gotten some really good suggestions and I wanted to add to them. :)

My kids have really enjoyed the Freddy the Pig series  - Freddy Goes to Florida -is the first in the series.

The Hero's Guide to Saving the Kingdom is delightful (even my 16yo enjoyed it) although we did listen to it on audio (Bronson Pinchot narrated and did a fabulous job!). It's the first in a series of three, I believe.

• Like 6

I finished Childhood's End and have started on The Mad Woman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell. It is a new release and first book by this author. I'm loving it. The narrator is is a twenty year old young American woman who was homeschooled for 10 years by her eccentric writer father until he died. (It could be slightly unflattering to homeschoolers, but is by no means stereotypical. ) She is a freshman studying English literature at Oxford, and also happens to be the last surviving relative of the Bronte family, much to her chagrin. Her unique background makes her cynical and sarcastic in a very American way, which amusingly contrasts with the Very British atmosphere in which she finds herself. There may or may not be a cryptic mystery in the background.

• Like 10

A series of distractions have gotten in the way of my reading, so I have failed to maintain a chapter a day with Darwin.  I also found Chapter 11 on the Strait of Magellan and Climate of the South Coast to be sleep inducing.  Not the first half!  In the second he offers climate analysis of what species thrive in what latitude (north and south), a litany of things Darwin finds to be interesting but is not surprising to the modern mind because of our knowledge of ocean currents. 

In the mail yesterday I received a new Archipelago title, Absolute Solitude, selected poems by Cuban writer Dulce Maria Loynaz.  I was immediately drawn into a Rilke-esque space of peace and beauty that this poet creates.

Muchas cosas me dieron en el mundo:  sólo es mía la pura soledad.

The world gave me many things, but the only thing I ever kept was absolute solitude.

• Like 6

I finished Childhood's End and have started on The Mad Woman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell. It is a new release and first book by this author. I'm loving it. The narrator is is a twenty year old young American woman who was homeschooled for 10 years by her eccentric writer father until he died. (It could be slightly unflattering to homeschoolers, but is by no means stereotypical. ) She is a freshman studying English literature at Oxford, and also happens to be the last surviving relative of the Bronte family, much to her chagrin. Her unique background makes her cynical and sarcastic in a very American way, which amusingly contrasts with the Very British atmosphere in which she finds herself. There may or may not be a cryptic mystery in the background.

This sounds great! I am now on a wait list for it. While I was at it I put Jane Steele on hold and a book called Reader, I married him.

The Goodreads list I was working from also had thishttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23845799-plottedbook of maps from books. Looks fun. I thought some of our map people might enjoy it.

• Like 4

Good thoughts and prayers going out to all (and family members) dealing with health problems right now.  

I read a fluff book this week:  And Only to Deceive.  It was OK, really just served as a distraction from real life.  Our dog suddenly got quite sick this week and we are having to have him euthanized today.  My daughter was afraid of dogs when this guy came into our lives; now she loves all dogs. (If she wasn't so anti-science she would make a great vet or vet tech. Pet photographer, maybe!)  Maxie started out as my son's dog really; he'd wanted one for years and it took us a long time to be in a place where we could have one, and the dog helped him through a lot of sadness caused by our cross-country move.  So, lots of tears all around today.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 6

Good thoughts and prayers going out to all (and family members) dealing with health problems right now.  

I read a fluff book this week:  And Only to Deceive.  It was OK, really just served as a distraction from real life.  Our dog suddenly got quite sick this week and we are having to have him euthanized today.  My daughter was afraid of dogs when this guy came into our lives; now she loves all dogs. (If she wasn't so anti-science she would make a great vet or vet tech. Pet photographer, maybe!)  Maxie started out as my son's dog really; he'd wanted one for years and it took us a long time to be in a place where we could have one, and the dog helped him through a lot of sadness caused by our cross-country move.  So, lots of tears all around today.  

:grouphug: to all. It is so hard when our four-footed family members die.

Oh, marbel  :grouphug: . Ours was elderly and had been sick for months and even though we knew it was coming we had a hard time dealing with it. I can't imagine having a pet suddenly get sick and having to euthanize (well yes I can, it happened to a cat we had when I was young). It's so hard to lose our furry friends.

I read And Only to Deceive because I had heard they were THE historical mysteries, but like you thought it was just okay. I read one or two more in the series and decided it just wasn't for me. If you like historical mysteries, try the Captain Lacey series or the Nell Sweeney mysteries.

• Like 7

:grouphug: It's a double whammy, I think, losing a loved family pet because you have your own grief in addition to helping your children cope with their grief. I am so sorry. Sounds like a wonderful, special dog.

If you have a Kindle, the first books are currently free:

The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 1)

and

Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series Book 1)

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni and Kathy, you both rock! I've had the words "Captain Lacey" on my ever-growing book list for, well, I don't know how long. I didn't even know exactly what it was after all this time! My kindle library could use some good historical mystery fluff, and these fit the bill.  

• Like 7

:grouphug: Marbel

I finished the Revisionary this morning. It is the fourth book in the Ex Libris series by Jim Hines.https://www.goodreads.com/series/67567-magic-ex-libris. I didn't like this one quite as well but my memory of the series isn't the best. Much action with people from past books popping up constantly is work! I loved the books at the start of the serie so much I think they made my favourites list.

Noseinabook, you would probably like these. :)

The Captain Lacey books....out of curiosity does anyone's library actually carry them? I look periodically and never find them. I even looked through bf's library once.

• Like 5

<snip>

The Captain Lacey books....out of curiosity does anyone's library actually carry them? I look periodically and never find them. I even looked through bf's library once.

I just checked.  My library has numbers 3 and 4 in the series!   That's it.  Weird.

Thanks for all the hugs and well-wishes about the dog.  A further complication for me is that I have a feeling of relief mixed in with grief.  I did love the dog, but his worsening anxiety complicated our lives a good bit - made it hard to travel or even have certain kinds of company (large groups, small children), despite medication, a thunder shirt, etc. I admit that I am ready to be pet-free for a while.  (This is probably the only place I can admit it - hope it is OK to admit this here - don't kick me out, OK? Maybe I'm not the only one who has ever felt that way.)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 9

A couple of quick reads, to help me catch up.  (Only one behind now.)

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.  DH and I have been watching the TV series on Netflix, and I've read one of Ms. Greenwood's Corinna stories, so I thought I'd give it a go.  Deep and meaningful it was not, but a nice diversion.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams.  True story of how Mr. Williams was able to forgive the drunk teenager who t-boned them in Salt Lake City, killing his pregnant wife and two of their children.  This story was recently turned into a movie called "Just Let Go." but I haven't seen it yet.

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 8

I just checked. My library has numbers 3 and 4 in the series! That's it. Weird.

Thanks for all the hugs and well-wishes about the dog. A further complication for me is that I have a feeling of relief mixed in with grief. I did love the dog, but his worsening anxiety complicated our lives a good bit - made it hard to travel or even have certain kinds of company (large groups, small children), despite medication, a thunder shirt, etc. I admit that I am ready to be pet-free for a while. (This is probably the only place I can admit it - hope it is OK to admit this here - don't kick me out, OK? Maybe I'm not the only one who has ever felt that way.)

Virtual hugs. Of course you're not the only one who's felt that way. I loved my grandmother more than any other member of my family besides my husband and child, and it was an immense relief to me when she died and was freed of her worsening paranoid dementia into God's grace. I loved my cat Phil (aka Best Cat Ever) immensely but putting him down meant no more cleaning the messes from a cat with a failing digestive system, and I was really glad about that.

Some part of that relief is relief on behalf of the sufferer. Your dear pet's anxiety was a burden on him as well as on you and your family. But it was only a burden on you, and therefore a relief when it was over, because you're a loving owner: an owner who didn't care would have just had him put down or abandoned him when he started to be inconvenient, and would have had nothing to feel relieved about.

• Like 8

My local library has them all because they bought them at my suggestion.  I started by recommending the first two to see if I'd like them and then recommended more.  The last few they've purchased (once again at my suggestion) as they were released.

The library in the nearby bigger city only has book seven (go figure!). 

Thanks for all the hugs and well-wishes about the dog.  A further complication for me is that I have a feeling of relief mixed in with grief. 

You're by no means the only person to have such feelings.  I think that many feel likewise when the death of a suffering person or animal occurs.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5