Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW15: Edith Wharton

Robin M

Praying, Stacia.  My dad's first cancer was prostate.  He was diagnosed the day Adrian was born, almost 8 years ago.  He had it removed surgically 9/11/08.  He has two common side effects from the surgery, but he says he wouldn't chance a thing about how he chose to deal with it.

Heather, how are you doing? And how's your dad?

<snip>

My dad is having surgery for prostate cancer tomorrow, so any good thoughts or prayers you want to send his way would be most appreciated! 

My dad and I are both doing great!  I'm totally back to normal and better than I was before I prolapsed.  It is still weird not having periods.  I catch myself checking the toilet paper sometimes after I pee.  I don't know how long that will take to get used to.  My dad finished his chemo in February and has steadily been putting weight back on ever since.  He and my mom have been going on trips again (they love to travel - they never go far and usually just for a few days at a time).  He's no longer dizzy all the time so he can drive.  He couldn't for almost a year.  We still are just overwhelmed by the fact that he has beaten cancer twice and one of those is almost always a death sentence.  In among getting diagnosed with cancer, he was also diagnosed with Celiac (about a year after my daughter, youngest son, and I were we all realized my dad's lifelong digestive issues fit and sure enough he has it, too).  Honestly, the man has never been healthier!

My littlest has an almost 104* temperature right now :(  He's miserable.  We gave him Tylenol a little bit ago when we realized his temp was as high as it was - it was just over 101 earlier because he hurts.  That high is scary since he's my kid who has febrile seizures.  He happens to have a doctor's appointment already scheduled for tomorrow morning (weight/med check for his ADHD medication).

I tested my oldest son this afternoon and the results were surprising.  He's got dyslexia.  He's 14 and in 8th grade (birthday is just after the cutoff so he's on the "old" end for an 8th grader).  Last year his reading level was mid-6th grade.  This year it is late 9th grade!  That's an incredible gain (two years ago he was late 4th grade level).  He hates the immersion reading on his Fire, but I make him do his literature reading that way so he's hearing the audiobook and seeing the words highlighted as the audiobook is read to him.  Clearly, it is working for him.  He's always had amazing oral vocabulary and comprehension skills because he's my voracious listener.  He reads slowly, but the fact that he can read at the level he can now is something I hoped for but never expected.  He recently told us that he's interested in a career dealing with special ed kids, particularly autistic ones.  That would, honestly, be an excellent fit for him.

• Like 13

My dad is having surgery for prostate cancer tomorrow, so any good thoughts or prayers you want to send his way would be most appreciated! Thanks!

I wish your father a very successful surgery, Stacia, and a speedy recovery.

Kareni, how's your mom?

Thank you for asking.  I'd say that physically she's made strides since breaking her arm in January; however, she is still undergoing therapy.  She has other issues though that make her life challenging such as poor vision, forgetfulness, anxiety, and impatience.  I suspect that most of those are due to ageing.  I'll get to see her again next month when we visit for a family wedding, so that will be good.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Stacia, I hope your dad is ok. Prayers from here.

Butter, I hope your little one's fever breaks soon! I had one child who had a febrile seizure. He was eating a cookie at the time and turned blue. It was the most terrifying experience I have ever had. Fortunately he was fine when he came out of it.

The baby is fine so far. We are still kind of holding our breath, but she seems not to have gotten the news yet that she is supposed to be fragile. Her biggest frustration seems to be that she cannot yet sit up when she wants to. (At two months.)

I finished The Rosie Effect yesterday. I felt pretty yucky because of this cold and the day had not been going well. It was a good book for a day like that. I'm not sure if I want to read the sequel, though, because I've heard that it isn't as good.

--Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 11

Butter, I hope the fever breaks soon. If it's the flu (both dc's had the highest fevers they have ever had with it this year) I hope no one else comes down with it. :grouphug:

Stacia, My mom is pretty much the same. Looking forward to better weather I think.

I am almost done with the last CA Belmond Penny Nichols book.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10723355-a-rather-remarkable-homecoming. This is the first one that actually is a British Village Cozy. The others have all taken place in France for the most part. This one has it's mystery centered around William Shakespeare's life and where he actually lived. Not expecting them to really solve anything but fun in Cornwall. I have really enjoyed this series! Dd is actually reading them now.

I also finished Jenn McKinlay's Death of a Mad Hatterhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18667885-death-of-a-mad-hatter. I enjoyed her library cozy mysteries and was looking forward to this series set in London. While I really enjoyed the cozy parts, this one could have been plunked down anywhere. If I wasn't looking for authentic settings....If more of these become available I will probably read them but not expect authenticity!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

Lol. It's hardly a promotion. It's more like "Hey Susan, want some help with the Korean spam? I'm usually online when they hit." Maybe it's a demotion and 'moderator' is a polite word for 'dogsbody?'  :huh:

I've been mostly flat on my back since Friday, because I can't get to the chiropractor until this afternoon. I've had to swap my big, heavy, hardcover bee keeping book for more Terry Pratchett. I've not read 'Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents' before. It may not be his best ever, but it's fun. :)

Oh my gosh thank you so much for this! I am in pacific time zone so it starts pretty early here. A lot of times the night time is the only time I can get on but it's been getting so overrun with spam it's frustrating. I keep thinking there has to be a software or something to prevent it. 

• Like 12

My dad is having surgery for prostate cancer tomorrow, so any good thoughts or prayers you want to send his way would be most appreciated! Thanks!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'll be praying. My uncle who is like a second father to me has prostate cancer also. It is metastatic prostate cancer though because it was caught too late. It sucks because it's such a treatable cancer. He starts another round of radiation in a few weeks.  

• Like 8

Angela, hope you feel better quickly & that your wee one avoids illness altogether.

Maus, always good to see you when you pop in. Glad to hear there has been less time spent in dr. waiting rooms lately!

Mumto2, how's your mom?

Kareni, how's your mom?

VC, wishing you rattlesnake-free days in the desert. <shudder>.

Eliana & Pam, where are you??? Missing seeing you here & hoping all is well.

Huzzah for our BaW dogsbodies Ethel Mertz & Rosie. I guess we could make up some Korean spam since we don't have a "like" button for either of you. ;-)

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Stacia darlin' - Hugs and lots of love, good vibes and prayers heading your way for you, your dad and family!

• Like 9

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I'll be praying. My uncle who is like a second father to me has prostate cancer also. It is metastatic prostate cancer though because it was caught too late. It sucks because it's such a treatable cancer. He starts another round of radiation in a few weeks.

I just wanted to say the like was in support. :grouphug: Last fall my mom went through most of a round of chemo for reoccurring breast cancer. It was really hard on her and me. :grouphug:

• Like 9

Continuing to send good thoughts to our BaW members and their families.

The chapter that I read in The Beagle yesterday brought back a wonderful memory that led me to track down an old travel journal.  Darwin wrote about the magnificence of condors.  He was seeing the Andean condor which is even larger than the California condor--both have wing spans of around 3 meters!  About fifteen years ago, we visited the Grand Canyon.  There was a ranger program on condors that was held on the ledge of the South rim.  As people gathered so did the condors as if the message had gone out to rally them.  At that point in time, there were 70 California condors in the wild, 30 in Arizona.  We saw sixteen that day.  Even our ranger was stunned that so many had gathered on that fine afternoon for our viewing pleasure.

The travel journal also revealed a tidbit that should have clued us in on the dear Boy's destiny.  Our trip had begun with a flight to Phoenix. From there we drove north, stopping in the Verde Valley to see cliff dwellings.  The Boy, who was in elementary school at the time, insisted that we find petroglyphs so he asked a park ranger where the best ones were.  Off the beaten path, of course.  We followed a gravel road for four miles, then hiked down a path in a national forest.  Oh wow!  We not only saw a quantity of petroglyphs, we could get really close to see the detail.  At the more well known parks this is not the case.

My son was born an archaeologist. 

I loved your update Angela.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 12

:grouphug:   to everybody. My kids were sick for 10 days and we're having a really hard time getting back into the routine. Plus my big girl is really stressed about friend stuff, and it hurts my heart. I'm so busy and overwhelmed with work and school and second guessing myself and wondering if I'm ruining my kid's lives with homeschooling . . . but I realize that I have the problems of the fortunate and I appreciate the friendship and camaraderie of this group immensely. I hope things look up for everyone who needs it.  :grouphug:

• Like 13

I hope everyone and everyone's family gets healthy and stays healthy. 

Rose, I convince myself that I'm ruining my kids all the time. Usually when it's the middle of the night. But not homeschooling is not something that is an option for us really. Eh, I figure everyone messes up their kids in some way, and I just try to do the least amount of messing up. Then I drink wine and stuff chocolate in my face. 

• Like 12

Oops, books...

I finally got Brave New World back from the library and finished reading it to my oldest. Overall I liked it. Lots of great themes to discuss with my budding rhetoric ds. He was also proud of himself because he recognized the many Shakespeare quotes and allusions in the book. 

And drum roll please......huge reading achievement for me: I finished the Bible. The whole thing! Cover to cover! I even read the Apocrypha which is included in the Bible I have. This was a very difficult goal to reach, but I stuck with it. I did it! I am done! I deserve a prize? I shall buy myself something! What shall it be? 

• Like 17

And drum roll please......huge reading achievement for me: I finished the Bible. The whole thing! Cover to cover! I even read the Apocrypha which is included in the Bible I have. This was a very difficult goal to reach, but I stuck with it. I did it! I am done! I deserve a prize? I shall buy myself something! What shall it be? 

A good book, a pint of Haagen Dazs, and 2 hours of peace and quiet to enjoy them!

• Like 10

and Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book - 5 Stars - I bought this book when I first visited the U.S. twenty-nine years ago. At the time, the places that I happened to visit didn’t have any Ben & Jerry’s stores and I didn’t see their ice cream anywhere. Seeing this ice cream recipe book was the first time I heard about them. I read this cover-to-cover back then and had so much fun with my mom trying out many recipes in the few months that I had with my parents before returning to the U.S. to start college.

My husband just got me a fabulous new ice cream maker. So I dug this book out once again. It was pure nostalgia and fun to re-read, especially to see my notes. I haven’t yet had time to try the recipes again. I plan on doing so very soon. I remember loving every one that we tried out. The recipes are great and the book is pure pleasure and enjoyment.

I was looking for a book to give a friend and then read your post.  How timely.  It will be perfect.  It's possible I also picked up a copy for myself.  :)

I also make notes in my cookbooks.  I have an old weight watchers recipe book with comments like "edible but mostly nasty" and "could eat this everyday".

*no rattlesnake encounters this year, so far

Whew.  The "r" word makes my skin crawl. 

Yes! I haven't watched it yet, though. I'm afraid I'll pay the $2 to rent it, then just fall asleep, as I pretty much always do when I try to watch a movie at home. Maybe if I get myself sugared up first...

I have this problem too.  I blame Hollywood ... I never fell asleep to movies in the 80's or 90's.

I finished Sue Grafton's X, the first title in her series where the letter isn't followed by "is for _________".  Yet another good entry in the series, and it is still set the late 1980s with telephone books, and microfiche, and card catalogs, and answering machines with a few people starting to have home computers.  I love her private detective, love that the books aren't formulaic murder whodunnits, but run the gamut of insurance fraud and missing persons and sometimes murder, with each entry sprinkled with a great cast of criminal characters.

I haven't read any of her books in so long but used to love them.  Any ideas on what she'll do when she hits Z?

Prayers.  Hope all is going well. 

"My son was born an archaeologist." What fun! My oldest son was born an accountant. 😊 At least he helps us with our taxes.

What cool kids!

*Standing ovation*

• Like 9

I've started watching Rozencrantz and Guildenstern. It is far more amusing than when read and has a bit of the feel of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure.

I'm almost finished The Book of Speculation. It turned out to be magical realism, which I hadn't expected. The magic is not charming as in Sarah Addison Allen's books, but rather disquieting and relentless. The story makes me feel hung over whenever I put the book down, but I should finish it today.

• Like 6

Angela, hope you feel better quickly & that your wee one avoids illness altogether.

Maus, always good to see you when you pop in. Glad to hear there has been less time spent in dr. waiting rooms lately!

Mumto2, how's your mom?

Kareni, how's your mom?

VC, wishing you rattlesnake-free days in the desert. <shudder>.

Eliana & Pam, where are you??? Missing seeing you here & hoping all is well.

Huzzah for our BaW dogsbodies Ethel Mertz & Rosie. I guess we could make up some Korean spam since we don't have a "like" button for either of you. ;-)

Good heavens, what a list. Hugs to each and every one of you, and please send updates as you can.

. . . but I realize that I have the problems of the fortunate and I appreciate the friendship and camaraderie of this group immensely. I hope things look up for everyone who needs it.  :grouphug:

That is a good way of labeling my own recent challenges, "the problems of the fortunate".  This place remains a lovely quiet haven that I most deeply appreciate.  And thanks to our steadfast moderators Ethel Mertz and Rosie for protecting our little haven from spambot interlopers!

Oh my gosh thank you so much for this! I am in pacific time zone so it starts pretty early here. A lot of times the night time is the only time I can get on but it's been getting so overrun with spam it's frustrating. I keep thinking there has to be a software or something to prevent it. 

Right? When I get home late from my gigs the forum is often off line (though maybe only for a short time??) when I can get on, is full of Korean or Chinese thread topics!

• Like 9

I finished a few books since last checking in:

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie - This is the first of the Miss Marple books and I have no idea why I put off reading it for so long.  I expected to not like it because someone told me it was much darker than her later books.  It wasn't.  It was just delightful.  I loved it! 

Spark Joy by Marie Kondo - It was better than the first book but still completely unrealistic for how real people live.  Also I don't care if my TP under the sink is organized in a way to spark joy.  It's utilitarian. 

The Cake Mix Doctor Cookbook by Anne Byrn - This was recommended to me and I was a bit skeptical.  Possibly a bit snobbish too.   "La dee da.  I only bake from scratch."  *said with an upturned nose and scorn*  This book has been wonderful though.  Everything I've made has turned out fantastic and the kids are loving having cake multiple times a week because it's easy and fun.  On a related note I need to start running again. 

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park - Read aloud with DD.  Lovely story. 

DD (soon to be 12 yo) is flying through Agatha Christie books.  It makes me so happy.  She's read five in the last week.  Such a happy mama moment!

When DD was a little kid we could read 20 read alouds together a year but now because the books are longer and sometimes she just wants to read on her own we do much less - about six books a year now.  I figured out that from now until she's off to college we'll only be able to do about 40 more read alouds so I made a list of the ones I absolutely wanted to do and bought them used off Amazon.  I started a shelf with them all lined up and it's so bittersweet.  We have lots of fun books in front of us to read but it's also a graphic reminder that time is quickly passing. 

• Like 14

DD (soon to be 12 yo) is flying through Agatha Christie books.  It makes me so happy.  She's read five in the last week.  Such a happy mama moment!

When DD was a little kid we could read 20 read alouds together a year but now because the books are longer and sometimes she just wants to read on her own we do much less - about six books a year now.  I figured out that from now until she's off to college we'll only be able to do about 40 more read alouds so I made a list of the ones I absolutely wanted to do and bought them used off Amazon.  I started a shelf with them all lined up and it's so bittersweet.  We have lots of fun books in front of us to read but it's also a graphic reminder that time is quickly passing. 

Ohhh, I loved A Single Shard!

And your bookcase of planned read alouds is so wonderful and sweet. I hope you get to most if not all of them. High school can be such a crazy busy time, but I loved still reading aloud to my teens, putting life on pause to spend a few quiet minutes sharing a book. (Although there were times when I had to ignore some serious eye rolling and groaning  :laugh:) Take a picture or share your list of titles!

You asked about Sue Grafton's plans after Z.  I just found this recent interview that asks the same question!

• Like 8

I love reading to my teen, too, though our reading life has changed this year.  With evening rehearsals, we aren't dong bedtime reading any more, which is bittersweet. Mostly I read aloud nonfiction to her in the afternoons, science or history things that I know will have meaty stuff for discussion.  We do enjoy it and Jenn, you are one who has inspired me to continue this in high school! I appreciate that.

ETA: sharing favorite authors and books is one of the pleasures of parenting a growing kid, isn't it? Shannon has read Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, and David Eddings. It's so fun to share these books with her!

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 9

ETA: sharing favorite authors and books is one of the pleasures of parenting a growing kid, isn't it? Shannon has read Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, and David Eddings. It's so fun to share these books with her!

It is indeed!  My daughter shared my pleasure with The Scarlet Pimpernel (in fact, she went on to read the half dozen sequels), Giovanni Guareschi's Don Camillo books (making these three generation books in my family), and my half dozen favorite Star Trek original series novels.  Oh, and she also read and loved all of our Calvin and Hobbes collection, so that's a second generation hit on both the maternal and paternal side.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Yesterday I re-read Ilona Andrew's Steel's Edge which is the fourth and final book in The Edge series.  I read books one through three in the not too distant past (but for some reason cannot find those posts when I search); this one had an advantage over books two and three as it contained decidedly less icky subject matter.  I enjoyed revisiting it.  While this could stand alone, I think you'd do better to read this series in order. 

"The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is a fairy tale—and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny…

Charlotte de Ney is as noble as they come, a blueblood straight out of the Weird. But even though she possesses rare magical healing abilities, her life has brought her nothing but pain. After her marriage crumbles, she flees to the Edge to build a new home for herself. Until Richard Mar is brought to her for treatment, and Charlotte’s life is turned upside down once again.

Richard is a swordsman without peer, future head of his large and rambunctious Edger clan—and he’s on a clandestine quest to wipe out slavers trafficking humans in the Weird. So when his presence leads his very dangerous enemies to Charlotte, she vows to help Richard destroy them. The slavers’ operation, however, goes deeper than Richard knows, and even working together, Charlotte and Richard may not survive..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

You asked about Sue Grafton's plans after Z.  I just found this recent interview that asks the same question!

Thanks for sharing that interview.  I read the first two books when they were released; they made a nice change of scene from the lab in graduate school.  I read the series until it hit about I or J then did not continue for whatever reason.  I think I'd enjoy revisiting them at some point.  When I initially (HA, a pun!) read them, they were contemporary books; now they'd be nostalgic.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Adrian's fever broke some time during the night and didn't come back this morning.  It looks like he just has the cold I had last week and for whatever reason his body just reacted by raising his temperature a lot.  He's just back to a runny nose today.  He told me that is the first time he's ever been sick *and* felt bad lol

• Like 10

Ohhh, I loved A Single Shard!

And your bookcase of planned read alouds is so wonderful and sweet. I hope you get to most if not all of them. High school can be such a crazy busy time, but I loved still reading aloud to my teens, putting life on pause to spend a few quiet minutes sharing a book. (Although there were times when I had to ignore some serious eye rolling and groaning  :laugh:) Take a picture or share your list of titles!

I will post a picture just as soon as I get the shelf finished.  I think the BaW crowd will recognize a lot of the titles. 

It is indeed!  My daughter shared my pleasure with The Scarlet Pimpernel (in fact, she went on to read the half dozen sequels), Giovanni Guareschi's Don Camillo books (making these three generation books in my family), and my half dozen favorite Star Trek original series novels.  Oh, and she also read and loved all of our Calvin and Hobbes collection, so that's a second generation hit on both the maternal and paternal side.

Regards,

Kareni

Funny story.  When DH and I got married and combined bookshelves he talked me into getting rid of all my Calvin and Hobbes books from when I was a kid.  I remind him of that everytime DD puts "Calvin and Hobbes books" on her birthday/Christmas wishlist.  We now own all the ones we owned before. 

• Like 8

A good book, a pint of Haagen Dazs, and 2 hours of peace and quiet to enjoy them!

Great idea. However, I will replace the Haagen Dazs with a pint of Ben & Jerry. I don't know why but every time I eat Haagen Dazs I just don't think it's as good as B&J. Which is unfortunate as I can get a lot more gf HD flavors in my store. 

• Like 6

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie - This is the first of the Miss Marple books and I have no idea why I put off reading it for so long.  I expected to not like it because someone told me it was much darker than her later books.  It wasn't.  It was just delightful.  I loved it! 

Spark Joy by Marie Kondo - It was better than the first book but still completely unrealistic for how real people live.  Also I don't care if my TP under the sink is organized in a way to spark joy.  It's utilitarian. 

The Cake Mix Doctor Cookbook by Anne Byrn - This was recommended to me and I was a bit skeptical.  Possibly a bit snobbish too.   "La dee da.  I only bake from scratch."  *said with an upturned nose and scorn*  This book has been wonderful though.  Everything I've made has turned out fantastic and the kids are loving having cake multiple times a week because it's easy and fun.  On a related note I need to start running again. 

Murder at the Vicarage is an old favorite that my mom gave to me when I was a kid. I have to ask her, because we never discussed the books and I'm not even sure she ever read any of them. But she is the one who would come home from yard sales and used bookstores with all the Agatha she could find.

My library doesn't have Spark Joy, but I did read the first book this year. What did you like better about Spark Joy? I don't even have any hope of ever getting truly tidied up but I did start folding my laundry and that made a huge difference since I, um, didn't before.

I love A Single Shard, too. My oldest read it recently and at first I didn't think it was going over well but in the end, it was well-love.

• Like 8

:grouphug:   to everybody. My kids were sick for 10 days and we're having a really hard time getting back into the routine. Plus my big girl is really stressed about friend stuff, and it hurts my heart. I'm so busy and overwhelmed with work and school and second guessing myself and wondering if I'm ruining my kid's lives with homeschooling . . . but I realize that I have the problems of the fortunate and I appreciate the friendship and camaraderie of this group immensely. I hope things look up for everyone who needs it.  :grouphug:

Ugh, I know that feeling, One of mine was sick for over a week with high temps, had an allergic reaction to a medication, and today is our first day with us all fever-free. I feel like I'm never getting back into a routine! Being so thrown off track, I was second guessing myself all day yesterday. Hope things turn around for you. I have read a lot of your posts over the years here and gotten so much from them.

Hugs to all those with sick kiddos and other issues. (Hugs and good thoughts to Stacia for your dad, too!)

I only started posting on these threads this year and I was nervous about joining but it's been wonderful and I appreciate it so much.

Edited by CaladwenEleniel
  • Like 9

I too love A Single Shard in part because when I hung out in a pottery studio I often used a celadon glaze.

Interesting too that the book A Single Shard was also the start of a relationship that I have with a BaWer although the relationship began before this book thread was born.  It is a good vibe book.

• Like 7

Stacia, I hope it went well with your dad today.

I liked Jane's idea of one chapter a dY so much that I decided to apply it to leave of my current non-fiction books. I now have four because I addition to the ones I was already reading, our next book club book is Behind the Beautiful Forevers. I'm not far into it yet but so far it's quite powerful. I haven't figured out how to add a link to text when on my tablet so

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18615464-behind-the-beautiful-forevers

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

My dad's surgery was this afternoon. It went well & looks like the cancer had not spread. He's now out of recovery & in a room. My mom says he has his iPhone back (his last question before going under apparently; it's like another limb for him :tongue_smilie: ) & is great. He will stay in the hospital overnight. (He chose a doctor that was out of state, so they will stay in a hotel a few days afterward, then fly back this weekend, assuming all is well.) Thanks for the prayers & well-wishes.

Hugs & hang in there to all those with sick kiddos! :grouphug:

ETA:

... And now I can definitely tell he has his phone back as I'm starting to get texts from him, lol. :thumbup1:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 19

I should be reading, but instead I'm reading all your posts ( :001_wub: ) while sipping a small glass of red wine & eating a dark chocolate salted caramel candy that my sister got me at a wonderful French chocolate shop. I'm at about my peak of functioning right now. :lol:

Yummy!  My favorite!

*no rattlesnake encounters this year, so far

:scared:  :hurray:  Let's keep it that way shall we!

I was too sick to concentrate on reading over the weekend but  was able to listen to my audio book.  I finished Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings.  It was a comfort to listen to one of my favorite stories.  I was able to drift off to sleep without worrying about missing anything (though I still rewound it when I woke up).  I'm getting used to the reader's voice and just enjoying the story again.

Our April book theme (IRL book club) is Birds, a book with a bird in the title or a book about birds or a book with a bird as a character.  I chose one of my favorite Lori Wick books to revisit, The Hawk and the Jewel.  I started it last week before I got sick and was finally able to concentrate enough to finish it today.  Brandon Hawksbury has got to be one of my favorite heroes.  It has been quite a few years since I have read this, and though it is still one of my favorite stories, I did find the writing more simplistic than I remember.  It's kind of funny how that happens.  Like I said, still one of my favorites.  

Thanks for all the well wishes!  I'm still battling a cough and crazy fatigue but better than I was over the weekend.  I'm trying to rest up as the first round of Mary Poppins performances start Friday night.  

• Like 9

Glad you liked it! I just started reading Agatha Christie a couple of months ago. My mother loved her work (along with various other mystery writers). My mother died over two years ago at the ripe old age of 89 and one of the things I'm doing to feel close to her is reading some of the books she loved. Gladys Taber and May Sarton anyone?

... And now I can definitely tell he has his phone back as I'm starting to get texts from him, lol. :thumbup1:

That's wonderful news, Stacia. I hope that his recovery goes smoothly.

My mother died over two years ago at the ripe old age of 89 and one of the things I'm doing to feel close to her is reading some of the books she loved.

What a lovely idea, Ethel Mertz; I hope you enjoy your choices.

If I were to do the same thing with my father in mind, I'd have to read Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series, Winston Churchill's six volume The Second World War series, or books on how to better my bridge game.  Sorry, Daddy.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Earlier I finished The Strongest Steel which is a contemporary romance by Scarlett Cole.  It was an enjoyable read but not a book I'm likely to revisit.  (Adult content.)

"In Scarlett Cole's The Strongest Steel, Harper Connelly never expected to find herself outside of a tattoo parlor at one in the morning. The scars that decorate her back are just one more reminder of things she'd rather forget, the past she wants to leave far behind her, but before she can move on, she needs him.

Trent Andrews has his own reasons for specializing in inking over scars. And there's no way in hell he's going to turn Harper away. Not when a swirling mix of tenderness and desire slams into him every time he sees her. Being with Harper is like going ten rounds in the ring—exhilarating, powerful, and dangerous. She stirs feelings in him he thought were long gone... if he can only get past her carefully constructed defenses.

Running was the only thing that saved Harper last time, but each session at Second Circle Tattoos brings her closer and closer to Trent. His lingering touches seduce her, making her believe in a life without fear, where she can be happy, whole, in love. But when cryptic messages start appearing on Harper's phone, strange deliveries arrive at her door, and Second Circle is vandalized, Harper is convinced that her ex-boyfriend has tracked her down, and worse, that he knows about Trent. She ran from her past once before; this time will she have the strength to fight back?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished Jane Steele tonight.  I loved it, I absolutely loved it. I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a long time. I have appreciated books, but not enjoyed one like this since I don't know when. It's a sort-of homage to Jane Eyre, though JS is a grittier, tougher, and more ruthless version.  But such a fantastic heroine, and such a great story. 

"I hope that the epitaph of the human race when the world ends will be: Here perished a species which lived to tell stories.

We tell stories to strangers to ingratiate ourselves, stories to lovers to better adhere us skin to skin, stories in our heads to banish the demons. When we tell the truth, often we are callous; when we tell lies, often we are kind. Through it all, we tell stories, and we own an uncanny knack for the task. In Jane Eyre, the wise author writes, 'Reserved people often really need the frank discussion of their sentiments and griefs more than the expansive.' I have lived this--should we neglect the task of expressing our passions, our species should perish upon the vine, desiccated and desolate."

• Like 9

This evening I finished a re-read of a book that I recently won ~ Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.  I'd describe this as a very strong collection of stories and a novella.  While the stories can stand alone, I feel they will be most appreciated by those who have read related works by the author, Patricia Briggs.  On the other hand, the stories could give a reader a taste of the author's work and a desire to read more.  I enjoyed revisiting this collection.

"A collection of all-new and previously published short stories featuring Mercy Thompson, “one of the best heroines in the urban fantasy genre today†(Fiction Vixen Book Reviews), and the characters she calls friends…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

#37: Shelled and Shucked by Paisley Ray.  It's the third Rachael O'Brien Chronicles.  Total mind vacation sort of books.  It was pretty good.  Not as good as the first two, but still fine.  I follow the author on Twitter so now I've managed to get the fourth and fifth books for 99 cents each so that's a bonus.  They're cute books, but not really worth the full $5.

• Like 7

I've finished watching Rozencrantz and Guildenstern. So witty! So existential! Hamlet inception, lol. As I was driving around yesterday, I found myself wondering about the lives of the people in the cars I passed. Do they really exist in separate story lines that just happen to intersect with mine? How strange that my story is the only one I can fully see. People pop in and out of it like magic. What do they do off stage?

I also finished The Book of Speculation and have started Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. "The sky is full of ships."

• Like 11