Menu

Any great suggestions for getting rid of dog hair?

madteaparty

I know, everyone wants to have my problems, and I am in fact grateful for the problems I have and the ones I don't BUT:

White boxer, which breed I selected because I though they didn't shed (among other reasons). 

Besides her being sort of an underachiever dog and very few qualities to redeem her, her freaking little white hair are all over my clothes, sweaters and sweater dresses especially. Please deliver me someone. We have hardwoods but a large carpet in the living area. Yes she gets brushed outside most mornings and we have the sticky things but our socks and clothes collect so much. Any great products or tricks I am missing? I am hoping QVC had the answers to all my problems and I missed them because I don't get QVC. Anyone?

For short-haired single-coated dogs I like using a rubber curry glove (that are designed for use on horses).

Your hand slips in and you use it vigorously both with and against the grain. The curry glove does a great job lifting up the (about to be shed) hair.

At this point some of the hair will be on the ground, some trapped by the nubs on the glove (which can be brushed off), and some will still be on the dog (clumpy).

Then, I use a horse brush (wood handled brushes that look similar to what men used to use to polish shoes) to sweep away the lifted hair off the dog.

I've never found anything better for short-haired single-coated dogs. I doubt they'd be any good (at all) on a long-haired double-coated dogs. 

Curry gloves are very inexpensive. Like $5. But make sure it is 100% rubber. Some places have plastic ones. Do not get a plastic one. Call a horse place. They will have the horse brush too. Get a medium soft one. About $10.

Here is a picture of what a curry glove looks like:

http://www.bigdweb.com/Grooming-Mitt-Rubber/productinfo/19883/

Shhhh....this is one of my secrets.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4

I wish I knew. I have a Chesapeake bay/golden retriever mix who sheds more than my five indoor cats combined.

I really really wish I knew.

The curry brush I recommended for Madteaparty won't work for you. However, what you want is called a "Slicker Brush."

These have very fine wire (bent on the ends) packed tightly together. What they do is to dig down (through the overcoat) and catch onto the undercoat. It might take many passes, but it will "rake" out all the loose undercoat, while leaving the overcoat mostly alone (it will pull shedding hair).

A Slicker brush will not cut the guard hairs, like those dreadful "Furmimators" do (don't buy one of these if you don't want to spoil your dog's top coat, as they cut the top coat.

A little time with a "Slicker Brush" and it will look like you sheared a sheep. Ideally, use out of doors. 

Bill

• Like 4

To minimize it I'd look at diet.  You want her on the best food for her (whatever that is).

A good Omega 3 supplement (like salmon or fish oil) can help.

As MercyA said, frequent bathing.  It is especially helpful if the bathing is followed by drying with a forced air dryer.  And that is best done either outside (if weather permits) or while the dog is still in the tub.  The dryer will blow out so much loose fur there will probably be an unbelievable mess, especially the first time you do it.  The bad news is a good forced air dryer will set you back a few hundred dollars (skip the less expensive ones, they won't work as well).  Most people find taking their dog to a groomer for a regular deshedding treatment a better option than spending a lot of money on their own equipment.

I agree with Bill about Furminators being absolutely horrible.  Yes, they will cut down on shedding, but it will be at the expense of your dog's coat.

Contrary to what Bill said, though, I'm not a fan of slicker brushes for anything other than working tangles out of longer coated dogs.  It's quite easy to brush burn a dog with a slicker brush.  If you choose to use one make sure you get a softer one -- you can test it on the inside of your arm.  Some (I would say most) of them are very rough.  You definitely do NOT want to "dig" into the dog's coat with one.  Use a very light, gentle touch and use it as little as possible.  If I were going to use one regularly (I wouldn't) I would spend the money and get a Les Poochs.  They're top of the line and the only slicker brush I would consider ordering w/o being able to test it on my own arm before purchasing. But again -- slicker brushes are really meant for removing mats, a quick swipe over at the end of a groom to remove already loose hair laying on the coat, or for fluffing longer coated dogs.  None of them are meant to be used for marathon brushing sessions.

My preference for short coated dogs is a Zoom Groom.  IME even most dogs (and cats) who hate to be brushed will tolerate the Zoom Groom very well.  They're soft and gentle and most dogs seem to feel like they're enjoying a massage.  But it's best used outside. I do have one of the curry gloves like Bill linked to, but I find them too bulky and stiff to use effectively.  The Zoom Groom is essentially the same thing and works much better for me.  My preference for a Zoom Groom over a curry glove may be due more to the (lack of) size and (lack of) strength of my hands than the products themselves.  I particularly find the Zoom Groom easier to use on smaller dogs and cats.

(Edited to correct "him" to "her."  I hate it when I refer to a dog by the wrong pronoun. ;))

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I'm of the belief that anything you do is only going to have a minimal effect.  If you have a dog or other animal that sheds, that hair's going to come out in one place or another, and it isn't going to wait for a brushing session.  You'll obviously get more out during brushing than will fall randomly throughout the day, but you are doing that, and hair is always going to have its own life cycle.

Unless you spend a lot of time with people with incredibly sensitive animal allergies, I really don't think anyone is going to think anything of a few random hairs.  We've always kept extra sitcky rollers in the car in case an animal rubs up against us on our way out the door.

To minimize it I'd look at diet. You want him on the best food for him (whatever that is).

As MercyA said, frequent bathing. It is especially helpful if the bathing is followed by drying with a forced air dryer. And that is best done either outside (if weather permits) or while the dog is still in the tub. The dryer will blow out so much loose fur there will probably be an unbelievable mess, especially the first time you do it. The bad news is a good forced air dryer will set you back a few hundred dollars (skip the less expensive ones, they won't work as well). Most people find taking their dog to a groomer for a regular deshedding treatment a better option than spending a lot of money on their own equipment.

I agree with Bill about Furminators being absolutely horrible. Yes, they will cut down on shedding, but it will be at the expense of your dog's coat.

Contrary to what Bill said, though, I'm not a fan of slicker brushes for anything other than working tangles out of longer coated dogs. It's quite easy to brush burn a dog with a slicker brush. If you choose to use one make sure you get a softer one -- you can test it on the inside of your arm. Some (I would say most) of them are very rough. You definitely do NOT want to "dig" into the dog's coat with one. Use a very light, gentle touch and use it as little as possible. If I were going to use one regularly (I wouldn't) I would spend the money and get a Les Poochs. They're top of the line and the only slicker brush I would consider ordering w/o being able to test it on my own arm before purchasing. But again -- slicker brushes are really meant for removing mats, a quick swipe over at the end of a groom to remove already loose hair laying on the coat, or for fluffing longer coated dogs. None of them are meant to be used for marathon brushing sessions.

My preference for short coated dogs is a Zoom Groom. IME even most dogs (and cats) who hate to be brushed will tolerate the Zoom Groom very well. They're soft and gentle and most dogs seem to feel like they're enjoying a massage. But it's best used outside. I do have one of the curry gloves like Bill linked to, but I find them too bulky and stiff to use effectively. The Zoom Groom is essentially the same thing and works much better for me. My preference for a Zoom Groom over a curry glove may be due more to the (lack of) size and (lack of) strength of my hands than the products themselves. I particularly find the Zoom Groom easier to use on smaller dogs and cats.

When I said the Sticker bush will dig though to the undercoat, I by no means meant one should apply pressure to rub the brush against skin and "dig into the skin."

Yes, your correct about thet. Digging one into skin would be the wrong way to use a sticker brush. But for breeds with a dense thick undercoat (what I'd conjecture one would get with a Chessie-Golden cross, they are a very effective way to brush out the undercoat (especially on the undersides) while leaving the overcoat undamaged. One should use then gently and be mindful to not to irritate the skin. On the wooly breeds they are best for, the bush should barely touch the skin. And I would get a soft one.

The Zoom Groom, IMO, is better on short to medium double-coated dogs, but not as good as a curry glove on short-haired single-coated breeds.

The long nubs on the Zoom Groom are an advantage on dogs with an undercoat, but too long IMO for a dog with no undercoat. The very short nibs on the curry glove are well matched to single coated dog's fur, and works on them just like it works on horses.

Not sure how a curry glove could be bulky or stiff, they are made of thin flexible rubber, unless you got a plastic one (which are junk).

Bill

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  We have a white JRT that sheds her weight in hair every day.  I have not found a solution, and threaten to shave her every time I sweep.  

We just keep lint rollers all over the house.  Although, I'm ashamed to admit, I have found her hair on the pew we sit on at church (before we even sat down for the day).  It follows us.

When I said the Sticker bush will dig though to the undercoat, I by no means meant one should apply pressure to rub the brush against skin and "dig into the skin."

Yes, your correct about thet. Digging one into skin would be the wrong way to use a sticker brush. But for breeds with a dense thick undercoat (what I'd conjecture one would get with a Chessie-Golden cross, they are a very effective way to brush out the undercoat (especially on the undersides) while leaving the overcoat undamaged. One should use then gently and be mindful to not to irritate the skin. On the wooly breeds they are best for, the bush should barely touch the skin. And I would get a soft one.

The Zoom Groom, IMO, is better on short to medium double-coated dogs, but not as good as a curry glove on short-haired single-coated breeds.

The long nubs on the Zoom Groom are an advantage on dogs with an undercoat, but too long IMO for a dog with no undercoat. The very short nibs on the curry glove are well matched to single coated dog's fur, and works on them just like it works on horses.

Not sure how a curry glove could be bulky or stiff, they are made of thin flexible rubber, unless you got a plastic one (which are junk).

Bill

For such a dog I would try a Greyhound comb and

.  I teach my dogs to lie down on their side for line combing, but you can do it as in that video with the dog standing,  You can also line brush, but I find combing to be much more effective.  Depending on the dog's coat I'll follow it up with a quick brush for fluffing and straightening.

Our dog doesn't shed much at all, which is somehow ironic, as he's the only long-haired pet we have (he's half papillon, half pomeranian, but his hair texture is papillon - he doesn't have the double-coat of the pom).

BUT... we have two white, short-haired cats that I also thought wouldn't be big shedders when we got them.  I, and all my furniture, and my rugs, are pretty much constantly covered by white fur.  Brushing gets lots of fur out, but doesn't seem to lessen the amount left elsewhere.  I think there may be an infinite supply.  I don't think I'll ever get another white pet.  White is the worst. 

*sigh* reading this post with despair.  I am in love with Golden Retrievers and they seem to be the most shedding dog of all time.  I'm a freak about hair and not sure I can handle it.

My mom had huskies, that she groomed daily, sometimes twice a day, and still had hair all over the place.

ETA, I have a friend with a golden who vacuums twice a day and STILL has hair all around....

Edited by goldberry

I have the answer!!!

We have 3 indoor dogs and 4 indoor cats.

We have all wood or tile floors which are historically covered in dust bunnies, or in our case dust bobcats due to their size, despite daily vacuuming. Generally we have bunnies within a couple hours of vacuuming.

Before Christmas this year, I was fed up and desperate to get the hair under control before holiday house guests arrived.

We've never done professional grooming (too much hassle and I'm too cheap), just washing the dogs at home in a tub or shower a few times a year when they got stinky, or occasionally having staff at work (vet hospital) wash them there.

Well, I was desperate to cut down on the hair, so I brought home the turbo-super-duper hair dryer from work for a day. Washed all three and then blew them dry (while brushing them out) on the back deck. The hair dryer looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Commander-2-Speed-Dryer-Motor/dp/B00063KHPE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1455559283&sr=8-15&keywords=dog+hair+dryer They are about $200, and the one at work is at least 20+ years old and runs like a champ, so hopefully current ones last similarly. 

Anyway, the thing blows warm air SUPER hard. You brush or comb (a cheap human brush with wide space plastic bristles works great) while you are blow drying. Then at the end, you can use a "slicker" brush to catch remaining loose hairs. 

VOILA. AMAZING. After doing that, shedding dropped by at least 80%. I could vacuum once a day and the house would look TIDY all the time! 

I'm buying one for home use as soon as the snow thaws. You do NOT want to use that sort of hair blower in your house. Really, truly, don't do it unless you want to destroy your house, as you'll end up with dog hair embedded in every light fixture, ceiling fan, etc. 

If you don't wan to do it at home yourself, take your dog to a great professional groomer . . . but that'll be 100 each time. 

I do have one of those really harsh wire brushes that I brush her with and it does help but she has SO.MUCH.HAIR that my arm gets tired before we are done brushing. She loves it though-as soon as she sees the brush she goes nuts :). I guess I'll just keep on keepin' on with the hair. Maybe I should just take her to the groomer more often. The groomer absolutely loves her and only charges $35 for bath, trim, brush and nails.

How does the dog react to the vacuum?   I once had a cat that was a shedding machine.   He was begging for attention one day while I was vacuuming the drapes with the attachment.  So, I vacuumed him!    It was amazing.   He didn't shed for about 5 days.  I figure the vacuum pulled out all the fur that was thinking about falling out in the near future.  

Also, the dog doesn't like the vaccuum, you could look into a DIY dog grooming place near you.  They have those powerful hair dryer's mentioned in the previous post.   You do the work and prepay for time to make the machines work.   

For such a dog I would try a Greyhound comb and line combing. I teach my dogs to lie down on their side for line combing, but you can do it as in that video with the dog standing, You can also line brush, but I find combing to be much more effective. Depending on the dog's coat I'll follow it up with a quick brush for fluffing and straightening.

Would you recommend that comb for curly hair?? Chelsie has the curliness and texture of a Chessie but the long hair of a Golden.

ETA: I think it's that combination of hair types that makes her hair matt up like crazy. That and maybe rolling in the dirt at every chance.

Edited by WendyAndMilo

Would you recommend that comb for curly hair?? Chelsie has the curliness and texture of a Chessie but the long hair of a Golden.

ETA: I think it's that combination of hair types that makes her hair matt up like crazy. That and maybe rolling in the dirt at every chance.

Yes, absolutely.

What happens with curly and wavy hair is that some of the shed hair gets caught in the coat instead of falling off on the floor and furniture like it does with slick/smooth coated dogs.  It's the caught-in-the-coat shed hair that leads to tangling and matting (and rolling around in the dirt or even on a floor sure doesn't help).  Using a comb and a line combing technique is the best thing to grab that shed hair.  It will also separate the curly hair and make her look fluffier.  If you want to really do it right lightly mist her coat with detangling spray, highly diluted conditioner (some of your own is fine) or even plain water before combing.  There's a saying that "the best brush for most dogs is a good comb."  And for all but the shortest haired dogs I think that's true.

For such a dog I would try a Greyhound comb and

.  I teach my dogs to lie down on their side for line combing, but you can do it as in that video with the dog standing,  You can also line brush, but I find combing to be much more effective.  Depending on the dog's coat I'll follow it up with a quick brush for fluffing and straightening.

That looks like an interesting tool for wooly breeds :)

Bill

• Like 1

To minimize it I'd look at diet. You want her on the best food for her (whatever that is).

As MercyA said, frequent bathing. It is especially helpful if the bathing is followed by drying with a forced air dryer. And that is best done either outside (if weather permits) or while the dog is still in the tub. The dryer will blow out so much loose fur there will probably be an unbelievable mess, especially the first time you do it. The bad news is a good forced air dryer will set you back a few hundred dollars (skip the less expensive ones, they won't work as well). Most people find taking their dog to a groomer for a regular deshedding treatment a better option than spending a lot of money on their own equipment.

I agree with Bill about Furminators being absolutely horrible. Yes, they will cut down on shedding, but it will be at the expense of your dog's coat.

Contrary to what Bill said, though, I'm not a fan of slicker brushes for anything other than working tangles out of longer coated dogs. It's quite easy to brush burn a dog with a slicker brush. If you choose to use one make sure you get a softer one -- you can test it on the inside of your arm. Some (I would say most) of them are very rough. You definitely do NOT want to "dig" into the dog's coat with one. Use a very light, gentle touch and use it as little as possible. If I were going to use one regularly (I wouldn't) I would spend the money and get a Les Poochs. They're top of the line and the only slicker brush I would consider ordering w/o being able to test it on my own arm before purchasing. But again -- slicker brushes are really meant for removing mats, a quick swipe over at the end of a groom to remove already loose hair laying on the coat, or for fluffing longer coated dogs. None of them are meant to be used for marathon brushing sessions.

My preference for short coated dogs is a Zoom Groom. IME even most dogs (and cats) who hate to be brushed will tolerate the Zoom Groom very well. They're soft and gentle and most dogs seem to feel like they're enjoying a massage. But it's best used outside. I do have one of the curry gloves like Bill linked to, but I find them too bulky and stiff to use effectively. The Zoom Groom is essentially the same thing and works much better for me. My preference for a Zoom Groom over a curry glove may be due more to the (lack of) size and (lack of) strength of my hands than the products themselves. I particularly find the Zoom Groom easier to use on smaller dogs and cats.

(Edited to correct "him" to "her." I hate it when I refer to a dog by the wrong pronoun. ;))

I agree about the Zoom Groom. It works very well on my short haired dog's coat, and he loves it because it feels more like a massage.

• Like 1

Isn't it totally weird they're called Greyhound combs? :huh:

I never have figured that one out.

Yes weird. In fact when I read your post and saw "dogs such as these" and Greyhound comb I wondered if you'd lost your mind? :D

Then I watched the video, and all was right in the world.

Bill (who likes dealing with a smooth-coated Vizsla)

• Like 1