Menu

Newbie question: 100 EZ, Phonics Pathways or OPGTR

MaryMak07

Hi Ladies,

I was planning on starting to teach reading when my son turns 5 this coming fall - but he's asking to learn now so I want to acknowledge that by starting something - even if we take it slowly.  

My son is definitely a cuddle up and read kind of kid.  He's only 4 but will listen to me read as long as I'll read to him.  He knows his letters and almost all of his letter sounds from puzzles etc.  

I am thinking I'd like to start with a simple book, open and go, not too expensive.  These are the 3 (100 EZ, PP, OPGTR) I'm considering.  What are your thoughts?  Pros and cons of ones you have used?

Input greatly appreciated!!

I used OPGTR to teach my now 8 year old boy.  I am using it again with my 4 year old boy.  I love it because the lessons are straightforward and include lots of practice.  For a time, my oldest son struggled reading directly from the book so I wrote the words letter by letter on a dry erase board.  Once he got the hang of blending, we moved much faster and he lost his reticence for reading directly from the book.  My 4 year has enjoyed everything about OPGTR but he was very excited to start reading and I think has a natural talent in this area.  I believe OPGTR is about as comprehensive as you can get for the money.  I don't regret choosing it at all.

• Like 1

I liked Phonics Pathways best of those three. (Its companion, Reading Pathways, is also good.) We did eventually need to take a break (and use some Logic of English Foundations) because there was enough on a page that DS got intimidated, even if we weren't doing a whole page in one day.

OPGTR is very similiar instructionally, but without the cute/fun parts that DS liked.

The markings in 100EZ seemed a little weird, but I actually did try that one first, figuring hey, it's a system and it works for some people. DS hated it.

• Like 2

I also recommended OPGTR. Short lessons, some "fun" games or other little things added in to make it interesting, and most important effective. I also own PP and while the words are bigger it doesn't have the fun little games sprinkled in.

I used 100EZ lessons and it was really good.  Lots of practice, taught blending, explicit instructions for the teacher.  I found that toward the back of the book the lessons got too long and I spread them over two days.

PP is more comprehensive, but I never could figure out quite how to use it.  I know others have used it very successfully, but I didn't personally click with it.

OPGTTR is supposed to be the best of both worlds, and I would suggest looking at it before you decide.  It wasn't available when I was teaching reading, so I have not seen it.

• Like 1

I just discovered Phonics Pathways and I love it. It is like Abeka's K-2nd grade curriculum in one easy open and go book. You could absolutely use it for a 4 year old, just slow down when you need to etc. I do write the words on a chalkboard for my dd because the pages are too busy for her. She does have some delays though, so it may just be that and not the actual pages.

• Like 2

100 EZL is my favorite of the 3. All but one of my kids have done really well with it. The blending lessons are great and I like that it includes stories and comprehension questions. It moves quickly, so many kids have to back up and redo lessons every so often. The speed has generally been a pro for my kids but one could not keep up with the pace, and had to move onto something else.

Another con is that 100 EZL may leave you needing more phonics. I like to get my kids reading with 100EZL then move on to Phonics Pathways and/or Explode the Code to solidify and expand on what they learned in 100EZL.

• Like 2

I've used 100EZ and PP - both good and work. I don't do the sound spelling portion of 100EZ.

OPGTR I'm sure is great, but it is visually sooooo dry that I couldn't use it.

The Reading Lesson is very similar to 100EZ without the funny marks, and more pictures.

The important thing isn't the book, it's the positive associations with reading (cuddling, encouragement, joy in successes, etc). Have fun!

Edited by Targhee

I'm a big fan of OPGTR. I've used it with two children so far (starting at 4yo), and am just now starting it again with my current 4yo. It is a simple, no-frills, get-er-done program, which is totally my speed, and I am very happy with its effectiveness and efficiency. It is a bit dry at times, but it never bothered my girls (they actually enjoyed most of the stories), and overall it wasn't a big deal for me, because most of the lessons are relatively short, and I just split up the ones that aren't. Also, I never used any of the supplemental activities which might have added the fun element that some people want. They weren't necessary for my girls to learn the concepts, so we just did the lesson and then we enjoyed reading real books together, which got more and more fun as they were able to read more of the words themselves.

I have OPGTR and tried 100EZ from the library.

100EZ was not for me. We used it for a few days but I didn't like it and returned it. Check your library, they may have it and you could test it out free.

I used OPGTR with DS when he was 4. It is effective. However it is not really fun, has no frills and after a while the child is reading sentences that can be odd. I have it as a back up as it is very complete.

At that age I found Bob books to be really effective because they have a short phonics lesson at the start of the book. We used both Bob books and OPGTR. My son could read simple CVC words at the start of K and a handful of sight words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

100 EZ is love it or hate it for most people.  We hated it.

Phonics Pathways is incredibly simple, thorough, and efficient. We used the Reading Pathways pyramid books with Phonics Pathways to build speed and fluency. (We used real books to teach the older two.) For kids who think there are too many words on the page, you can just use a blank sheet of paper to cover words the kid finds distracting.  There are a few games that are optional.  We skipped them.

My husband is using 100EZ right now with our son.  I think we'll probably pick up OPGTR after he is finished to continue on with phonics.  I believe 100EZ only takes you to about a second grade reading level.  I think OPGTR takes you to a fourth/fifth grade.  Maybe someone who knows more can comment more on this.

Have you looked at all about reading? It is a great program with fun reading and games. I know it's not on your list but I had to recommend it since its been so great. A year ago DS couldn't read even simple CVC blends and now he's reading everything in sight.

I also think Memoria Press First Start Reading is a nice simple intro to blends and reading comprehension.

I have used Phonics Pathways and OPGTR, but not 100EZ. I looked into 100EZ but I didnt like how it used those weird marks above the letters. We used PP for a month or so but like the others said, I found the pages too confusing and messy. I didnt like how there weren't lessons, you just do the next thing. Well, that overwhelmed my daughter. We started OPGTR about 4 months ago and I love it. There are about 240 lessons, one on each page (sometimes 2 pages, but not usually), and it takes about 5 mins per lesson. My daughter has improved a lot with her reading from it and I plan on using it with my next kiddo soon. 

Edited by calihil

If you are willing to do a little reading on how to conduct a lesson, you can use the Ultimate Phonics Words and Sentence list as a free alternative to a paid reading manual. The UP Words and Sentences lists is every bit as comprehensive as OPGtTR or PP. It is broken down into lessons, like OPGtTR, and you can break each lesson up into 2+ sessions if you need to.

My favorite, commercial, all-in-one reading program is The Reading Lesson, which is similar to 100EZ. It teaches letter sounds as needed and you learn to read with just a handful of sounds at a time, gradually introducing more and more words. It uses a less-obtrusive special orthography than 100EZ, and I like TRL better than 100EZ on a whole. The lay out is more attractive, cleaner formatting, self contained..

It has 20 chapters in it and I've used it several times over with a wide variety of kids, each time with success.

Edited by mom2bee
  • Like 1

Hi Ladies,

I was planning on starting to teach reading when my son turns 5 this coming fall - but he's asking to learn now so I want to acknowledge that by starting something - even if we take it slowly.  

My son is definitely a cuddle up and read kind of kid.  He's only 4 but will listen to me read as long as I'll read to him.  He knows his letters and almost all of his letter sounds from puzzles etc.  

I am thinking I'd like to start with a simple book, open and go, not too expensive.  These are the 3 (100 EZ, PP, OPGTR) I'm considering.  What are your thoughts?  Pros and cons of ones you have used?

Input greatly appreciated!!

100 EZ Lessons is particularly well suited to young children who really want to read but don't have the physical maturity yet to do some other methods which require the fine-motor skills and hand-to-eye coordination to do the writing usually involved.

I haven't used  OPGTR; perhaps it is similar in that regard.

We are using OPGTR with DD right now. I had previously used All About Reading Pre Reading, but once she started blending we looked into an actual reading program. Since I didn't want to invest in an expensive program (AAR is more than I wanted to pay at the time), I got out both OPGTR and 100EL from the library. I didn't care for the special markings in 100EL and OPGTR takes them to a higher level. We have had to add in some fun games, but it wasn't hard to do. DD has done well with OPGTR and is on lesson 50 now and reading fairly well. We also use BOB books, progressive phonics, Nora Gaydons readers, and some various phonics readers from the library. 

If you are willing to do a little reading on how to conduct a lesson, you can use the Ultimate Phonics Words and Sentence list as a free alternative to a paid reading manual. The UP Words and Sentences lists is every bit as comprehensive as OPGtTR or PP. It is broken down into lessons, like OPGtTR, and you can break each lesson up into 2+ sessions if you need to.

My favorite, commercial, all-in-one reading program is The Reading Lesson, which is similar to 100EZ. It teaches letter sounds as needed and you learn to read with just a handful of sounds at a time, gradually introducing more and more words. It uses a less-obtrusive special orthography than 100EZ, and I like TRL better than 100EZ on a whole. The lay out is more attractive, cleaner formatting, self contained..

It has 20 chapters in it and I've used it several times over with a wide variety of kids, each time with success.

Thanks for sharing.  I had not seen this before.  I think this is definitely something Hunter would be interested in.  She loves lists.

We tried 100EZ and my son would cry. We tried OPGTR and my son would cry.

We didn't know about PP.

I'm telling you this because I wish (wish, wish, wish) that I had stopped using 100EZ and OPGTR a lot earlier than I did. If your little one is crying over the lessons, then find something else. I didn't know any better and thought that we just had to push through. It was just terrible for us both.

If you buy something and your little one doesn't respond to it and gets angry or cries, then either wait about 5 months and try again, or find a new curriculum. Some kids adore 100EZ and OPGTR and some kids hate them, even if you wait 5 months for them to mature a little. And I can't speak to PP since we never used it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I have 100 EZ...just looking at it makes me want to cry. One minute of looking through it was enough to pretty much guarantee I don't use it. (A friend passed it on to me when she finished with it.)

I haven't tried the others. 

We've just started formal phonics with our 5 and almost 4 yo. We are using Webster's Syllabary. They both love it so far.

• Like 1

I have 100 EZ...just looking at it makes me want to cry. One minute of looking through it was enough to pretty much guarantee I don't use it. (A friend passed it on to me when she finished with it.)

I haven't tried the others. 

We've just started formal phonics with our 5 and almost 4 yo. We are using Webster's Syllabary. They both love it so far.

That is how I felt about it as well.  My husband and son are enjoying it so I've just let it happen.  HWT also makes me emotional.  I also have Webster's Syllabary.  Hopefully we'll come back to that at some point for review.