Menu

Today's best grocery prices

Pegasus

DH and I ended up hitting 3 different grocery stores today.  Best prices included:

Bananas - $0.29/pound

Eggs - $1.59/dozen

Potatoes - $1.99 for 5 pound bag

Fresh salmon - $4.99/pound

How did you do?

Oh, and not groceries but gasoline, $1.64/gallon.

• Like 3

I didn't see any prices like that!  We must not live in the same area.

The best prices I got were "personalized" club card deals, but they weren't spectacular, just not as $$ as the rest of the groceries.

Is the salmon wild Pacific, or farm raised?

Gas is more here too, $2.30 is the cheapest I've seen.

I just got back from the store.  I now live in a town with a fairly strong grocery chain monopoly.

Bananas: .49/lb. (.64/lb. organic)

Eggs: $1.98/dozen for grade A eggs--least expensive brand; pasture raised/vegetarian fed eggs are $6.10/dozen

Potatoes: $2.47 for 5# of russets, organic medley of baby potatoes was $4ish for 1.5#

fresh salmon: $5.47/lb.

My best deal was 2 pints of blueberries (conventional) for $5.  I've been paying close to double that lately.

• Like 1

The only shopping I did this weekend was for the things on sale or that I can't buy at Aldi.

Zevia was $3.33/6-pack

Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breast was $1.77/lb

Pork Roast was $1.39/lb

Portobella Caps were $2.50/2-pack

Jalapeños $2.99/pkg

(Cauliflower was $3.99/head)

I walked out of the grocery store today $225 poorer. And I didn't buy any meats or cleaning products. Basically just veggies, fruit, some cheese, eggs, a bit of dark chocolate, peanuts, kimchi, coconut milk and some dried spices. This was at Stop and Shop not Whole Foods or anything.

Eta I did buy 2 heads of cauliflower at $5 a head. Ugh.

Store had no scallions for second week in a row, no baby spinach, Serrano chiles or tomatillos.

Edited by whitestavern

So this week I paid extra attention to the prices advertised.....

Boneless skinless (Tyson) Chicken Tenders reg. $3.99 on sale $2.49 but advertised in case at $1.99- I let them know and they gave all 3 packages to me at the lower price.

At a different store, (Birdseye?) Protein Blends (lunch for me) were under a sign for $1, so I got 5.  They rang up as $1.87- Cashier was happy to change the price. Side Note-I'm always nice about it and never insist on the lower prices.

Farm Eggs-Free from DH's co-worker who's trying to drum up business- $3.00 in future

Bolthouse juices half price,because I really don't like to EAT fruit.

Cauliflower $1.99 

Ground Beef 1.99 per pound (I bought 12 lbs which will do us for the next 2 months)

Sorry should have said I don't buy Salmon, white potatoes, or regular eggs (cage free brown are $3.48) and bananas were anywhere from .48-.53 per pound.  I'm not very good at this game.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

From my receipt yesterday:

bananas $.48/lb

potatoes $.38/lb (I think I saw the 5 lb bag for $.98 but I wanted to pick exactly what I needed for this week)

dozen eggs $1.88

I don't buy salmon, so my 4th item will be deli Healthy Ones honey ham for $3.98/lb!

Oh, and I noted cauliflower since that was brought up here this week--$3.98/lb. Have no idea what 1 head weighs--they looked smallish.

Edited by Ali in OR

We had a chain doing "super double coupons" this week. Coupons with a face value up to $2 were doubled. Between coupons and sales I saved 51% of my bill. 

Because I stock up on non-food items and some of the less perishable food items, such as cereal & pasta, I shop ahead. I don't think our grocery bill will be high for the rest of the month because we are currently eating out of our freezer (had some yummy beef stew tonight). We will have to buy milk and produce and maybe some fill in staples if we run out of something. 

The big deals for me were: 

Tropicana Orange Juice - $1

Silk Almond Milk - $1.50

Oral B toothbrushes - .49 each

General Mills Cereal - 1.50 each (I shopped earlier in the week, today I could have gotten them for $.97 each because they have a special email price today & tomorrow. Oh, well)

Old El Paso Stand & Stuff Taco Shells - FREE! 

Campbell's Organic Soup Carton - .50 (food bank donation)

Zone Perfect Bars - $2.99

Old El Paso Refried Beans - .25 each (food bank donation)

Special K - .50

Progresso Soup - .60 each (food bank donation)

Coke  Products, 6 pk 20 oz bottles - $1.99 each (stocked up college boy)

Lysol Wipes, 35 ct - .66 each 

• Like 1

Well I'll tell you a "worst" price. I wanted to buy cauliflower. $5.99 for one.

*sigh* That's like a low carb staple!!!

I'm very bummed.

Gas was $2.10. Eggs were on sale $2.49 for 18 (that is about half price from a few weeks ago).

My grocery store hasn't even had cauliflower for the last few weeks

DH and I ended up hitting 3 different grocery stores today. Best prices included:

Bananas - $0.29/pound

Eggs - $1.59/dozen

Potatoes - $1.99 for 5 pound bag

Fresh salmon - $4.99/pound

How did you do?

Oh, and not groceries but gasoline, $1.64/gallon.

Wow, prices are cheap there.... with Canadian dollar (so would be more in US dollars)

Bananas are usually about $0.79 a pound

Eggs were $2.89 a dozen

Potatoes vary widely over the year, but around $6 for a 10 pound bag

Gas has been cheap for a while, about $0.90 per litre (so close to $4.00 a gallon....)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually shop the sales in any given week. Some of the things I picked up at the store the other day: 

Avocados 2/$1
Grapefruit 5/$1
Grassfed ground beef $3.99/lb. 
Pink Lady apples $0.99/lb
Organic chicken legs $1.79/lb. 
Breyer's ice cream $2.99/carton
Sushi grade tuna (we eat lots of it!) $5.99/lb
Whole pineapple $2
Bustelo coffee $3/can

Grocery store prices have felt almost cry-worthy around here lately.  My girls wanted OJ the other day.  A jug of OJ was $13 ($9 with the store card :glare:)!  Unless I wanted to go with "orange drink", then I could get it down to $4.

We have outrageous cauliflower here too.  Oh, and I paid $14 for two half full bags of grapes.

• Like 1

Grocery store prices have felt almost cry-worthy around here lately.  My girls wanted OJ the other day.  A jug of OJ was $13 ($9 with the store card :glare:)!  Unless I wanted to go with "orange drink", then I could get it down to $4.

We have outrageous cauliflower here too.  Oh, and I paid $14 for two half full bags of grapes.

My goodness! I know the orange industry is having some problems, but $13? What, are the jugs plated with gold!?

• Like 1

We went grocery shopping Friday.  Of things mentioned that we bought...

Potatoes - $3.54 for 10 pounds

Gas - It's expensive in the part of the city where we live.  We pay $1.75 right now.  I've seen it $1.69 a few miles away.  It's always a few cents cheaper than the cheapest at Costco, but that's quite a ways away.  The Costco by us doesn't have gas.  Something about the aquifer and requirements for gas stations where I live.

Cauliflower - $2.98 (I didn't buy it but I paid attention to the price because of that thread on here)

B/S Chicken Breast - $1.79/lb (that might be the normal price now... it was $1.99 but it's been $1.79 a couple weeks now with no indication it's a sale price)

Prices haven't changed all that much here over the last bit.  None of those are sale or coupon prices.

Going to the grocery can make me depressed. 

Eggs -- $3.08 for 18ct.

Bananas -- .57 lb

Avocados -- .98 each

Granny Smith apples --3lb bag -- $5

Carrots -- 2lb bag -- .99 (sale)

Potatoes -- 10lb bag -- small potatoes -- $2.68 (sale)

Spaghetti sauce - 24oz can -- .88 (sale)

Ketchup 24oz  --  .88 (sale) 

Coffee -- 31.1oz -- 6.49 (sale)

Ground beef  -- $1.98lb (sale)

Pork loin - whole -- $1.68lb (sale)

Gas is $1.77 gallon

Edited by Baseball mom

Our grocery stores seem to only have alcohol, cold medicine, and diet products (shakes, bars, frozen dinners) on sale.  

Only four produce items in the ad-  tomatoes, asparagus, grapefruit, and bagged lettuce.  

We live where it's cold in winter and it's always expensive to buy fresh food in winter but this year seems especially difficult- I wonder if all the rain in Florida has impacted prices.