Menu

2016 Nothing New/Mindful Spending

Ginevra

Okay, I was a bit uncertain about whether to call it Week One, which it technically isn't yet, or Week 52, which would be most proper, but seems wrong because it's 2016. :) Either way, here we are, some of us continuing our committments to spending more mindfully more of the time, some starting fresh. Personally, I have so much enjoyed the way this challenge helped me remember my committments throughout the year, rather than becoming one more paver on the road of Good Intentions. ;)

There is a complex synergy between economy, ecology, fair treatment of other beings, good stewardship and plain ol' human kindness. This challenge is meant to optimally explore all of those values, as much as possible. For some, one or two of those values may be uppermost, but efforts in one area ideally encompass the other areas. So here are the Guidelines I used last year and am continuing this year:

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new/unnecessary. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

I do have a remarkable thing to mention. I went to the Dollar store today (where everything costs a dollar). It was on a lark, because I was reading something from a frugal blogger where he scored tomatoe seeds at his dollar store for $1. Well, that is quite a bargain and I was near one, so I went in. YES, they have bargain seeds there...they were four packs for $1! I bought eight packages of seeds for $2.00, my friends. I also bought some clay posts (3/$1.00) and seed starting mix (though that was a small bag.) I also got a box of generic allergy tablets, 36 tablets for one dollar! Isn't that amazing? It would not be a bad idea to intentionally pop in there from time to time. I used to do that with the store Big Lots, until it closed down. I got a bottle of Banana Boat sunscreen there once for $2.50. It was quite the talk of the town once at our beach house because it had a red price sticker on it. My SIL picked it up and exclaimed, "Where in the world did you get this for $2.50?!" :D
  • Like 7

I went to GW's 50% day & got 2 shirts & a pair of jeans & quite a few Arcoroc glasses, it's the only brand I'll buy, not the sae pattern as ours, but they looked beand new & ours are 20 years old & dishwasher etched pretty badly.

We're stocked on most groceries for now, but I'll stock up on a few sale ites this week. I'm wanting to get my grocery down sightly, not sue how easy that will be.

• Like 3

We always go shopping between Christmas and New Year's to pick up half price calendars, stuff on sale, and to let the kids spend Christmas money. We didn't make it this year because  dd had to work, so we went yesterday. It annoyed me to start the year shopping but it was planned and I had a good day. 

I spent $8 at The Container Store and bought cheesecake slices from the Cheesecake Factory.  And we picked up pizza on our way home.  The rest of my family spent less than half what they normally do...and we decided this was the end of that tradition.  

Also this week I ordered a moleskine journal to document what's going on with dh's mom. Dementia, doctor visits, etc. We need to keep it together for reference and dh agreed that we want something we can drag to a doc visit. 

Goals for the upcoming week: 

Meal plan from the pantry and freezer first and only shop for things we need to round that out.  I told the family that we are going to Eat All The Food and they're on board.  I didn't cook lunch or dinner today- we ate leftovers. 

Work on my annual list of things I need to allocate funds for- stuff that is outside of regular monthly expenses.  I'm running behind- I should have had the list for 2016 ready a month ago. 

• Like 4

We went to a party tonight and brought a $9 bottle of wine as a hostess gift. It was fun :)

This coming week-----back to normal! One of my goals for this year is to be more mindful of where we spend our money, now that we don't have to be hyper-aware of every penny. I need to check local sources for chicken, eggs, and dairy (we have pork and beef in the freezer from this past farmers market season).

• Like 4

We are in the middle of moving so our budget is in chaos. I'm trying not to spend money on anything we don't actually need. Hopefully when the dust settles I can focus on paying down my credit card.

There are always so many unexpected expenses when you move- hope you get settled quickly so you can get back to normal!

• Like 3

Oh my goodness, Quill! Yes! Go to the dollar store! You  will be amazed at the things you will find there. I always try to check there first before I buy anywhere else. 

In fact, I went to one today. I needed a lot of small household items. I spent $30 on a cart full of stuff. 

My spending...

This is the hard part. 

We moved into the house on the 22nd. Our goal was to be in by Christmas, and we did that. e rented a moving truck, quoted at $60, total was $200. Sigh. 

The same day, we bought a used glass top stove. $50.

Our neighbor was giving away a dryer in need of minor repair, and a nice coffee table that opens up into a huge desk-type table, with a small crack. We loaded both of those for free. 

Also that day, we had a water heater installed. Our plumber was inexperienced. He got it working, but later it stopped. It was Christmas Eve and then Christmas, we didn't want to bother them, so not hot water for a few days. The boss came out to fix it. Yay! hot water. He's been out twice more fixing the incoming pipe, which is crumbling. It will need to be replaced. No water over night, now fixed. $1000 all together. 

As soon as the plumber left, the septic overflowed. Yikes. Icky. D called them out, they were there almost immediately. I was moving my van to let the truck in and hit the carport. I cried. Then D arrived, and I left to buy a drying rack. $300

Septic guys were awesome, cleared it, emptied it, put in an access pipe, showed us some ways to use our gray water to prevent tree roots from breaking our pipes (which also need to be replaced), and keep it out of our tank. #1 I wash my dishes in buckets and dump the water directly onto the trees. #2 we can drain the washer right into a garden. I have a pineapple top ready to go.  

The highs have been in the 40s. I bought a new drying rack, but it's a bit too cold and no wind. I have not yet managed to fix the dryer. After hunting around a bit, we did find a reasonable laundromat. I hope to not need it again. 

We are going to have to put off the roofer for a short time. Hopefully not too long. 

But the house is coming together beautifully. We have our basic needs met, a working kitchen, we got internet hooked up today. I have all but a couple of boxes unpacked. D fixed my bathroom today. We have snacks and wine. I treated myself to clearance bath products. I'm going to take a bath in my newly usable tub.

• Like 7

Oh my goodness, Quill! Yes! Go to the dollar store! You will be amazed at the things you will find there. I always try to check there first before I buy anywhere else.

In fact, I went to one today. I needed a lot of small household items. I spent $30 on a cart full of stuff.

My spending...

This is the hard part.

We moved into the house on the 22nd. Our goal was to be in by Christmas, and we did that. e rented a moving truck, quoted at $60, total was $200. Sigh.

The same day, we bought a used glass top stove. $50.

Our neighbor was giving away a dryer in need of minor repair, and a nice coffee table that opens up into a huge desk-type table, with a small crack. We loaded both of those for free.

Also that day, we had a water heater installed. Our plumber was inexperienced. He got it working, but later it stopped. It was Christmas Eve and then Christmas, we didn't want to bother them, so not hot water for a few days. The boss came out to fix it. Yay! hot water. He's been out twice more fixing the incoming pipe, which is crumbling. It will need to be replaced. No water over night, now fixed. $1000 all together.

As soon as the plumber left, the septic overflowed. Yikes. Icky. D called them out, they were there almost immediately. I was moving my van to let the truck in and hit the carport. I cried. Then D arrived, and I left to buy a drying rack. $300

Septic guys were awesome, cleared it, emptied it, put in an access pipe, showed us some ways to use our gray water to prevent tree roots from breaking our pipes (which also need to be replaced), and keep it out of our tank. #1 I wash my dishes in buckets and dump the water directly onto the trees. #2 we can drain the washer right into a garden. I have a pineapple top ready to go.

The highs have been in the 40s. I bought a new drying rack, but it's a bit too cold and no wind. I have not yet managed to fix the dryer. After hunting around a bit, we did find a reasonable laundromat. I hope to not need it again.

We are going to have to put off the roofer for a short time. Hopefully not too long.

But the house is coming together beautifully. We have our basic needs met, a working kitchen, we got internet hooked up today. I have all but a couple of boxes unpacked. D fixed my bathroom today. We have snacks and wine. I treated myself to clearance bath products. I'm going to take a bath in my newly usable tub.

A question and a comment:

Question: how does putting grey water on the trees stop them from breaking into the pipes? Does it kill the trees?

Comment: If you can't dry clothes outside, then get spring loaded shower curtain rods and put an extra one up in the shower (or two: I have two showers). Put the wet clothes on clothes hangers and hang the clothes from the rods. Con: the clothes will be wrinkly, so you might have to iron them. My DH loves to iron so it's not a problem here. Even if you use this idea for only things that you don't mind being a little wrinkly, you can save money from using the dryer. (Pjs, towels, rags, undershirts, etc.)

We have done only semi-well this week. We popped into McDonald's a time or two when we were on the road and had to eat something. I bought some Christmas ornaments that I didn't need, but I really, really, really wanted. But they were 75% off, so it wasn't too bad. Only spent $8 on them.

I signed my son up for 4 2-hour classes at a local college. Not college level classes. Classes geared for middle schoolers at the college on the weekends. He loves them and I didn't want to spend money, but he loves them! There's not much about school that he *loves*, so I signed him up.

I had been using some V05 shampoo and condition in one stuff that I got for $0.75, but I had to stop using it. It is making my hair so dry and brittle. So instead I got a $2-something bottle of shampoo and conditioner for men because it seems that men's products cost less than women's. I'll use it tomorrow for the first time so I hope it's good. If it doesn't work, I'll have to move up to the $3 or 4-something Pert Plus.

ETA: Yes, Quill! Go to the dollar store! Some stuff is junk and some stuff is a treasure!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Question: how does putting grey water on the trees stop them from breaking into the pipes? Does it kill the trees?

Not at all! The trees break into the pipes in search of water. By pouring the water directly on the tree roots, they have no need to look for water. At least, that's the idea. 

Try skipping the shampoo completely and washing with conditioner only. 

• Like 2

I forgot my frugal fixes. 

Instead of hanging a towel bar in the bathroom (which is just a tub and a newly working toilet, no sink, light fixture, or anything), I bought 3 over-the-door hooks for $1 to hang our towels. I bought more hooks and may hang them later, but for now, this is working. Installation: 30 seconds and no more holes in the wall. 

I made curtains for my boys' room from a tension rod, curtain clips, and 4 gray satin pillowcases. I hung the rod a couple of inches lower than the window frame to let the morning light into their room to wake them. It looks so nice. Total cost: $13

The house already had a couple of sets of curtains up. I added a plain black curtain rod to existing holders, moved a curtain from a bedroom to the kitchen, and tah-dah! We have coverings on every window. $4

There were hideous cafe curtians in the kitchen. I like an nice open window in the kitchen, so I removed the curtain, moved the tension rod lower on the window, added s-hooks and hung up every utensil with a hole in the handle. Freed up most of an overflowing drawer (one of two drawers built into the kitchen), everything is handy, and it adds a modern flair. $6

We spent more money on food, conveniences, and necessities than I would have liked, but this is what it is just now. 

• Like 6

Desert Strawberry, you are a very positive person. I would have been a whiny mess if I'd had the week you had.  Congrats on the new place!

Yes. Well.

I left out the part about wearing the same yoga pants for three days running, and how I threw my husband out of the house and told him not to come back. Very seriously ended my marriage.

Also that I told off my MIL, deservedly, and now we have been disowned. 

There's also the TMI part where I started my period just before the plumber shut off my water, then very apologetically told me that it would be 14 hours before he could turn it back on. 

D came back. We are better now. 

So, yeah. I didn't handle it as gracefully as it sounds in a quick post. 

• Like 5

The New Year begins!  We received several very nice things for Christmas but the question of where we should store these objects led to some cupboard reorg.  A couple of days ago I went through the glass/plastic collection, tossing several lids that had no bottoms (how did that happen?) and made a feeble attempt to structure how these items fit.  That won't last!

Yesterday I filled the car with household tidbits that are no longer used like that massive Christmas serving bowl, weird salt and pepper shakers that my parents gave me years ago, coffee table books that collect dust, etc. There was a full crew at work at the charity shop so I must not have been alone in purging. What a great way to start the year! 

We attended a community theater production last night with dinner out and a stop at Target beforehand.  We left Target with a shower curtain liner--the only item on our list--And Nothing Else. We scrutinized the clearance racks but decided we didn't need anything even if it was cheap. 

I finished knitting a hat for a grand nephew, a late Christmas gift.  The yarn was a gift given to me the previous Christmas. I did buy a pom pom maker for the project though (using a coupon at Michaels), the one made by Clover. Nifty device!

• Like 4

The New Year begins! We received several very nice things for Christmas but the question of where we should store these objects led to some cupboard reorg. A couple of days ago I went through the glass/plastic collection, tossing several lids that had no bottoms (how did that happen?) and made a feeble attempt to structure how these items fit. That won't last!

Yesterday I filled the car with household tidbits that are no longer used like that massive Christmas serving bowl, weird salt and pepper shakers that my parents gave me years ago, coffee table books that collect dust, etc. There was a full crew at work at the charity shop so I must not have been alone in purging. What a great way to start the year!

We attended a community theater production last night with dinner out and a stop at Target beforehand. We left Target with a shower curtain liner--the only item on our list--And Nothing Else. We scrutinized the clearance racks but decided we didn't need anything even if it was cheap.

I finished knitting a hat for a grand nephew, a late Christmas gift. The yarn was a gift given to me the previous Christmas. I did buy a pom pom maker for the project though (using a coupon at Michaels), the one made by Clover. Nifty device!

I have a vague memory about my grandmother making pom-pims using a small piece of cardboard. She wrapped the yarn around it many times, then tied it off (or something?) and cut through the yarn on the other side of the cardboard. Is it like that?

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

I forgot my frugal fixes.

Instead of hanging a towel bar in the bathroom (which is just a tub and a newly working toilet, no sink, light fixture, or anything), I bought 3 over-the-door hooks for $1 to hang our towels. I bought more hooks and may hang them later, but for now, this is working. Installation: 30 seconds and no more holes in the wall.

I made curtains for my boys' room from a tension rod, curtain clips, and 4 gray satin pillowcases. I hung the rod a couple of inches lower than the window frame to let the morning light into their room to wake them. It looks so nice. Total cost: $13

The house already had a couple of sets of curtains up. I added a plain black curtain rod to existing holders, moved a curtain from a bedroom to the kitchen, and tah-dah! We have coverings on every window. $4

There were hideous cafe curtians in the kitchen. I like an nice open window in the kitchen, so I removed the curtain, moved the tension rod lower on the window, added s-hooks and hung up every utensil with a hole in the handle. Freed up most of an overflowing drawer (one of two drawers built into the kitchen), everything is handy, and it adds a modern flair. $6

We spent more money on food, conveniences, and necessities than I would have liked, but this is what it is just now.

Seriously, Desert Strawberry. If I gave out prizes for most creative frugal fixes, you would be the consistent winner.

• Like 3

On the gray water- check local laws as some have set rules against it. Also, there is a list online about what soaps/shampoos/etc have ingredients that are damaging to trees. For watering the garden this is really important to check out. If everything checks out, consider getting a container to have the washer empty in directly. You run the pipe outside into the container and it stays in it until you are ready to use it. Make sure the container has a screen on the outlet to catch the excess lint.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

On the gray water- check local laws as some have set rules against it. Also, there is a list online about what soaps/shampoos/etc have ingredients that are damaging to trees. For watering the garden this is really important to check out. If everything checks out, consider getting a container to have the washer empty in directly. You run the pipe outside into the container and it stays in it until you are ready to use it. Make sure the container has a screen on the outlet to catch the excess lint.

yes, they specifically said that it is legal here. 

I generally do use natural/eco-friendly detergents, but I will check to be sure. 

The container is a good idea. I was just going to build the garden directly under the drain, but a bucket with a tap would be better.

I have a vague memory about my grandmother making pom-pims using a small piece of cardboard. She wrapped the yarn around it many times, then tied it off (or something?) and cut through the yarn on the other side of the cardboard. Is it like that?

This was how I learned to make pompoms.  But there is definitely a knack to making them right so that they are full and don't lose the individual strands.

The pompom maker that I purchased is a plastic gizmo that holds the tension properly for the wraps, cutting and tying. I am impressed with the finished product.

Admittedly, I don't make a habit of making pompoms but I knitted an adorable wool hat with three corners on the top, each embellished with a pompom. I am envisioning making more hats like it so I was happy to add another piece of equipment to my knitting collection.

• Like 3

I want to join  :seeya:

Day 1 -- $0 -- we stayed home all day

Day 2 -- $60 maybe -- gas & food-- we went for a ride (just riding around looking at stuff) as a family and stopped at restaurant to eat.  Dh used his Christmas money for the meal so that didn't come out of our bill money

Day 3 -- $0 -- home all day

Our fridge is acting up, possibly going out.  Found out last night close to midnight.  We do have another fridge in the back of the house that I use for sale items.  I am so thankful for having the extra fridge.  

Spent the day cleaning in the kitchen, mostly around, behind, under the fridge.  So if we have a repair person come out it will look better.

Also browned up a bunch of ground beef for the freezer.  I like to keep browned beef in the freezer for quick meals.

• Like 2

Yesterday I spent around $35 on decorations for our son's graduation in May.  He wants red and silver so I went to the after Christmas sales to buy red and silver decorations at 75% off.  I bought ribbon, tablecloth, decorative boxes, large balls to hang from the ceiling, and more.  He is very excited about what I found and I am thrilled with the price.  I also bought a Dremel Micro yesterday at our local Home Depot for $90.  I could have ordered it for a little less online but I really appreciated all of the help locally so decided to purchase here.  I also wasn't sure I wanted to wait for it to be delivered.  I am a 4H leader and will be teaching a class this month and wanted to use the Dremel Micro to teach some techniques.  My daughter also wants to use it for some 4H projects and will be giving a demonstration on the uses of a Dremel as well.  I was given Christmas money and decided to use some of it to purchase the Dremel.  We are also using it to personalize items for graduation. I am happy with what I got and ready to get to work on some projects.  Graduation is just over 4 months away and there is still much to get done.

• Like 7

Hi!  We're still on our trip for the next couple days.  We haven't spent too crazily if you accept the idea that a leisure trip can be mindful spending in the first place.  :P

I know you would agree that some of the greatest experiences are the low-budget ones.  The other day we stayed in the cutest hotel that was a renovated old palace.  I believe it was $40 for 5 of us including breakfast.  One of our best meals was at a truck stop diner.  Most of our favorite excursions are simple walks in interesting places.

My kid's birthday is this week.  Also this week is an annual get-together of kids from my kids' birth country, which is important to us, and which will take place at Kalahari.  Lucky me, because my kid wanted to go to Kalahari for her birthday anyway.  :)  She is a materialistic kid and has all sorts of "wants" for her birthday, but most of them are of the "experience" variety this year.  She wants to go to Build-a-Bear and to Hard Rock Cafe.  I also suggested the movies and a Barnes & Noble spending spree (because I think she will like those better than any gift I can think of right now).  And this is the first year she will be in school for her birthday, so I'll buy some mini cupcakes or something.  I thought it would be fun to give the class some foreign coins too (since it will be our first day back from vacation).  Would 4th graders find that dumb?

I also decided to buy a parakeet.  I don't know what that will cost.

I also told the girls they are going to start getting a regular allowance this year, but I haven't decided how much or how that is going to work.  I intended to start this some time ago, but then we had some issues with sugar and the free money was too much of a problem.  I hope we can make it work this time.  I think kids need to learn how to spend their own money sooner rather than later.

Another thing.  Did I mention this before?  My kids heard of the idea of adopting a rescue horse.  I am investigating the idea.  I am pretty sure it won't be cheap, and I will think about how the girls can contribute.

After this week, we will be pretty much back to normal.  I look forward to it.  :)

• Like 1

I'm joining this year!!!  DH and I just decided we needed to go back to a cash only budget.  Thankfully we haven't acquired big credit card balances, but we also haven't done a bit of savings this past year except for what was automatically going into the 401K.  That means we haven't had the money to do some house projects we would like.  We're also going to try to have weekly budget meetings, I'm very hopeful that will work out and we'll stay on the same page and make some progress.  My goal is to always have money left over every week that I can add to what we have already budgeted to save!  

The plan for this week is to go bowling as a family and get my two oldest girls a haircut.  I did go grocery shopping this afternoon and managed to not even walk through the Christmas clearance!

• Like 2

I did terribly at this by summer of last year. I'm aiming for better - $100 self imposed limit on personal spending (including food) each month. Carefully considering each purchase as to whether I need it and it brings me joy and doesn't clutter my life. We have so many expensive projects this year, they cannot get done if I don't scrimp on personal spending.

SKL, when I was young, I thought foreign/unusual/odd money was quite interesting, but I was kind of a weird kid. ;) I still have a cup full of odd or exceedingly old coins and foreign money. I like to look at it now and then.

One caveat about the allowance, just as a BTDT. Think carefully about what the amount will be, when it will increase, and what they will need to buy with "their" money. It is hard to change these parameters later. I used a *small*! allowance for my kids. It was tiny. I didn't go with that dollar-per-year of their age guideline, because I think $10/week for a 10yo is too generous. It doesn't limit them enough to have to really make some more challenging decisions, such as, "Should I buy this cheap doo-hickey today, or should I wait a few weeks and get something I care about more?" My rules on what their allowance was for included their own pets (though not vet care, for example), birthday gifts if they went to friend's party, plus any toy or special thing I did not normally provide. I don't buy much "just because" stuff for my kids, so if they wanted a deck of Pokemon cards, or a stuffed animal or hatever, they had to save/use their allowance money. Later, when my son had a candy-selling business, he had to use his allowance money to buy his inventory. :) Also, it worked well for me to give allowance once a month, just so I wouldn't have to have small bills available every week. (Probably not a good stratgy for children with poor impulse control, though.)

YMMV, of course. :)

• Like 1

Dd20 is headed to Greece for study-abroad and needed hiking boots/shoes. Her feet are a half size larger than mine, so my boots did not fit. Nothing fit properly at DSW, which is a bummer because I had $20 in rewards plus a triple-point coupon to use. We walked down the row to the new REI to find clearanced hiking shoes (low top). She added two pair of the thin wool socks I like (same price as amazon) and a cute knitted beanie with a bobble :)

Tomorrow we have to get odds and ends from the drug store or Target, some undies, and another pair of jeans.

• Like 4

I would like to join! I have decided that 2016 HAS to be the year that I get control of our budget. We have lingering credit card debt that must be paid off this year. But my first goal is to beef up savings. Dh works in the oil and gas industry, so obviously we are holding our breath about his job right now. I am trying to put extra in savings and then focus on debt. To get this done, I really need to cut out unnecessary spending.

Looking forward to reading this thread and hopefully learning a thing or two!

• Like 4

Okay, joining in with you ladies.  

January is a bigger spending month for us since we take advantage of sales and specials.  We did make a couple of changes this year to save more money.  I made a list and then shopped online to avoid buying more than we needed,  Shoes are my weakness!  I'm proud to say that I bought absolutely no new shoes .  We also decided to buy a few decorative boxes instead of more wrapping paper.  I'll use the boxes for immediate family so I can re-use them.  All in all I think we're off to a good start.  Looking forward to checking in with you ladies this year...

• Like 5

Welcome to all our new mindful spenders! I hope you get a lot out of checking in with this thread throughout the year. I surprised myself in how helpful it was to keep my ideals in front of myself throughout the year. It is so easy to want to do "better" in a new year, but also easy to sorta forget what you meant to do when suddenly another year has come to a close.

• Like 6

I would like to join! I have decided that 2016 HAS to be the year that I get control of our budget. We have lingering credit card debt that must be paid off this year. But my first goal is to beef up savings. Dh works in the oil and gas industry, so obviously we are holding our breath about his job right now. I am trying to put extra in savings and then focus on debt. To get this done, I really need to cut out unnecessary spending.

Looking forward to reading this thread and hopefully learning a thing or two!

Isn't this backwards? I plan on paying down my credit card then I'll start building savings. Because of interest.

• Like 1

Here's something I'm curious about - has anyone else seen this? A friend on FB had a chart posted on her FB, that shows amounts you should save each week to save $5000 by year's end. The chart is odd to me, because it is a different ammount each week with no apparent rhyme or reason. So, it says something like, "1. $26 2. $82 3. $135 4. $35..." I commented on my friend's page, but I haven't seen a response yet. I wondered why this weird plan should be better than, say, saving $97/week all year long. Besides which, if you set up a regular amount every week or month, you can set it on automatic deposit, which has always been the best way for me, personally. If I had to look up the chart every week and put in some amount that may or may not *feel* like a lot of money that week, it is harder to stick with my goal.

What do you think? Does anyone know this chart I'm talking about?

Yeah I have seen that- the one I saw was to save $5000 for a house. A downpayment, I guess. But the numbers were crazy and all over the place.  When we were living on a tight budget that method would have NEVER worked.  I mean, some weeks listed saving $25 and another week was $195. That's like a whole year of budget catastrophes....a broken toilet, a flat tire, replacing a lost library book, a high heat bill, a doc visit. 

No way does that appeal to me. I clicked on the link and there was no explanation...just the chart. 

I do much better by working a month ahead and then transferring any $ I came in under budget to my savings account. I came in under budget on our heat bill by $40 this month- so I transferred that extra to my savings. It's out of my household budget account and available for me to allocate to another use. 

• Like 1

Quill, the only chart I've seen counts up one dollar each week. Week 1- $1, Week 2 -$2 and so on. The idea is that it's a small amount, and you don't notice it because every week, it's just one more dollar. 

I'm having a tough time with not spending. I am SO TEMPTED to buy cute stuff for my house. Colorful baskets, Shiny duct tape to make a backsplash in my kitchen, Contact paper to cover my fridge, new hampers for laundry. Just small things, but they add up. We have imperative  needs like a roof and I don;t have time or space to be doing craft projects. I still have a few more boxes to unpack. I just finished cleaning the old house so we can turn over the keys. I need to clean and tidy this house. And paint. 
Oh, but I want those colorful baskets instead of the cardboard boxes that are doing a fine job! 

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 2

I agree about the savings, it's weird to gradually increase, If you can save hundreds of dollars at the end, why not save it at the beginning?

Yes, but the chart I saw wasn't even like that. It was literally no discernable logic as to the amount for any given week. I even specifically commented because the last week of the year was $200. I haven't ever been flush with cash the last week of the year, LOL!

Yes, but the chart I saw wasn't even like that. It was literally no discernable logic as to the amount for any given week. I even specifically commented because the last week of the year was $200. I haven't ever been flush with cash the last week of the year, LOL!

Look at it again- there does appear to be a pattern of sorts. It's a 4 week pattern with week 1 the lowest and 4 the highest. So after that awful week 4, week 5 is low again. But of course every 4 week rotation increases by 5 or 10 dollars. So the first 4 weeks you save a total of $225. But the last four weeks of the year- yikes! They have you saving more than $500! 

Here's the pattern...cut back your eating in January and get used to it because by December you're not going to be able to afford food OR gas. g

• Like 3

Yesterday I hit some sales at the grocery store and got 2 Silk Cashew milk & 3 gallons regular milk, 5 Kraft 24 oz salad dressing, sale of $1.49 if you bought 8 items on the sale list & had  4.75 off coupons, 3 Kraft Mayo $1.99 with the buy 8 sale and had .55 coupons.  Bob's Red Mill potato starch sale of $3.41 and had $1 coupon (I contacted BRM and they sent me 6 $1 off any coupons) 1 Lindt chocolate bar (the only kind that I can eat 85% cocoa, splurge there and I had $4 in Mperks for previous spending, so I spent $21.38 oop.  The dressings should last most of the year, I am big believer in stocking up when prices are low. 

Today I need to hit Aldi and Dollar Tree, I'll already be out since I work today.

• Like 2

(Theme for this year is shopping locally whenever possible.)

Yesterday's grocery shopping was done at the locally-owned Shoprite (the same family owns and operates 5 grocery stores in our county) and at the local natural foods store (which we joined 22 years ago this month when it was co-op only; last year it moved to a huge location within walking distance of our home and is wonderfully busy all the time).

• Like 3

Is this continuing into the new year?  If so I'd love to join you all.

I've been very mindful so far, but there is a J Crew coat on sale that I'm eyeing.  My current coat is only 4 years old, but it's feeling small.  When I drive the wrists go half way up my fore arms.  :laugh:   It's also short, and the sale coat is long, which I would prefer due to wearing lots of forgiving tunics these days. ;)

I'm sitting on it for a day or two as to not be impulsive, maybe it will sell out before I talk myself into it.

• Like 1

I had several things that we needed,

Dollat Tree-2 large containers of bkeach, 2 pkg rubber gloves, 2 pcks taco shells, 1 pkg Brilli sponges,1 can cooking spray, 1 plastic storage basket. $9.42 oop.

Walmart-1 pair jeans for dh & clearance candles for .12 each (4) $21.38 oop.

Aldi- 1 pkg rice cakes, 2 bags flour, 1 bag onions, 1 large container clearance sprinkles (will keep for next Christmas) .79 $6.35 oop.

I also got an 8 pck of various sized Christmas bags for .59 at CVS.

• Like 2

I purchased some groceries for $32 at Aldi, and am getting set to got online and buy some wire shelves for my office. The shelves will be paid for out of my Swagbucks earnings.  I use the Swagbucks $$ for furniture and household items mostly and sometimes homeschool books.  Learning to save up the pennies and delayed gratification has been really good for me.  I'm writing everything down this year that I am spending, and trying to seal up any cracks where money might sneak thru. It feels so easy to waste money, and while I don't want money to be my life focus, being mindful is something I need more of in my life.

I've been pushing not wasting food or leaving lights on with the kids.  My 6 year old came down very hard on my husband, who threw out the milk from his cereal bowl.  "Daddy, you just wasted money that you worked so hard for!!"   Oops...

• Like 4

Hmm....so unexpected purchase of 3 books for school because they were so cheap.  We do have a set amount of money that goes into an account for education expenses, so it will come from there and won't mess with the rest of our budget.  I think I'm just a little bit irritated that with my first real temptation I couldn't resist.  :cursing:  I have also been working on DH to help him understand me more.  We are so different when it comes to money.  He's very matter of face and I need to play mind games.  I explained that I'm actually trying to NOT spend all that we have budgeted each week and he just doesn't understand why we don't just lower the budget and put the difference in savings.  I told him that then I would feel stifled and and burdened by "only" having so much to spend.  BUT, if I make it a game to spend less, it works for me.  Also, I know that there will be some months where we just won't be able to spend less, and when we go over our budget I feel like a complete failure.  Does it show that I was never taught anything good about money by my parents?

Edited by ksr5377
  • Like 1

I am trying to be more mindful this year which for me means overcoming my natural tendency to put off buying anything ever and making do with really unsuitable stop gaps so....yesterday after 20 years I replaced the ugly pink emesis containers from the hospital that I keep my socks, underwear and camis in with a couple cloth storage bins. It looks like a grown up closet now and only cost $11.00. What was I waiting for? I got hit by a guilt wave about it so posted here so I could see how stupid that sounds. $11.00 won't take food from my kids' mouths. Here's to mindful spending 2016.

• Like 8

So, our Durango's transmission is at critical, so we are faced with either:

1. Taking it to a transmission repair shop and having it fixed.

2. Replacing the vehicle with

a. a vehicle from a private seller or 

b. a vehicle from a dealer that's comparable but about $1K more (would require using DH's Paypal line of credit, which has zero interest for 12 months then demands your firstborn child if it's not paid off).

Any repair over $2K would put us in buying making more sense, but the vehicle options in the 2-3K price range are pretty limited. DH is particularly concerned with the likelihood of having another large repair bill within the year--more likely/unknown with the private seller than with the dealer.

I am trying to be more mindful this year which for me means overcoming my natural tendency to put off buying anything ever and making do with really unsuitable stop gaps so....yesterday after 20 years I replaced the ugly pink emesis containers from the hospital that I keep my socks, underwear and camis in with a couple cloth storage bins. It looks like a grown up closet now and only cost $11.00. What was I waiting for? I got hit by a guilt wave about it so posted here so I could see how stupid that sounds. $11.00 won't take food from my kids' mouths. Here's to mindful spending 201

I hear ya, sister. 

I showed up at a laundry mat with my clothes in shredded plastic bags. I'm sure everyone there thought we must be truly destitute. It was oddly ridiculous. I need to buy some laundry baskets. 

• Like 4

So, our Durango's transmission is at critical, so we are faced with either:

1. Taking it to a transmission repair shop and having it fixed.

2. Replacing the vehicle with

a. a vehicle from a private seller or

b. a vehicle from a dealer that's comparable but about $1K more (would require using DH's Paypal line of credit, which has zero interest for 12 months then demands your firstborn child if it's not paid off).

Any repair over $2K would put us in buying making more sense, but the vehicle options in the 2-3K price range are pretty limited. DH is particularly concerned with the likelihood of having another large repair bill within the year--more likely/unknown with the private seller than with the dealer.

Ravin, we had the same situation last year. We decided to go with repair because this is not an optimal time for us to be in a car loan again. It worked out for us in a very fortunate way because the transmission was actually only leaking fluid. (I'm not suggesting that surely yours is also just leaking fluid and low on fluid; just sharing that I'm glad we decided to investigate repairing instead of replacing.)

It ends up being a bit of a gamble no matter how you handle it.

• Like 2