Menu

Need Ideas to get a kid to stop chewing on his shirts

Butter

Ever since I had my surgery Adrian (7) has been chewing on the necks of his shirts. He's done that every so often his whole life when he is feeling anxious. He's down to two t-shirts and one of them is really too small for him. We've tried gum to keep his mouth occupied (which is a big deal because we do not usually allow the little two to chew gum and the big two can only have it if they keep it well hidden), but he is of the opinion that gum should be chewed only until the flavor is gone and no longer. Mostly he's been going around topless, but that's definitely not a permanent solution. I obviously made it through surgery just fine and am already doing better than I was before surgery, but chewing has become a habit (this kid has always been one to chew on anything and everything). I'm going to go get some t-shirts from the thrift store today since he'll surely ruin a few more while we are trying to get him to stop. So does anyone have any ideas on how to break this habit yet again?

My oldest did that for a while - would chew a hole right through the neck or near the cuff on long sleeved shirts.  I got him one of these chewie sticks http://www.nukbrush.com/nukbrush/chewy-tubes-oral-motor-tool.  I also started charging him for the shirts he ruined.  I think a few dollar a shirt, and it took only a few times to break the habit. 

Don't you hate it when they do that?! I had one shirt chewer. I always bought shirts second hand (get cheap ones you don't care about) and whenever I caught him chewing, I would tell him to go change his shirt. Never anything more than that. Just go change. He stopped chewing. I don't know if it was the fact that he started paying attention to what he was doing, or he didn't like stopping and going to change shirts, but he did stop.

I don't think his was anxiety, though.

My son is 17 and has been doing this off and on since he was 6. It's much worse when he is anxious. The holidays are especially bad for him. We've stopped trying to figure out how to stop it. He's already on medications for anxiety and we haven't been able to redirect the behaviour to something less destructive. If that's what he does when he is anxious or stressed, so be it. His main everyday shirts are fruit of the loom pocket tee shirts that we buy cheaply at Walmart or Target. If he is dressed nicely for something he changes back into his tees asap. I would estimate that I spend about $125 a year on tees for him, so when i thought of it that way I let it go.

I think keeping him topless, offering a substitute, investing in cheap shirts in the meantime are great solutions. I have a very anxious child, and recent life circumstances have exasperated it. I've really found The Opposite of Worry by Lawrence J. Cohen a very useful book in helping us work through some of the underlying cause. 

I have one who does this, who is a teenager these days.

We redirected to other things. When he was younger we bought rubbery dog chew toys (I didn't know about chewelry then) because they held up. We made a point to pick ones that looked alot like baby teething toys. Then as he got older we redirected to gum, which still works well to this day. We also have some chewelry on hand if he doesn't want gum or is distracted and doesn't notice to go get piece.

Rather than breaking the chewing habit, I would give him something that he is allowed to chew.  At various points, both my boys had chewy tubes that hung around their necks.  They weren't allowed to take them out of the house, but they used them when they needed to at home.  In the end they grew out of the habit.