Menu

Kitchen/Cooking gifts for Christmas?

1bassoon

I got dh silicon baking mits (yes - he cooks, and destorys his cheap oven mits)  they were about $8 each with a 20% off coupon from bed bath & beyond

a pastry scraper.  dh was VERY skeptical.  dd bought it when she lived here. we used it all the time - she gave one to dh when she moved out.

a santoku chef knief.  a decent quality one - I absolutely love it, and use it more than a normal chef knief.

eta:

candy thermometer

scale (I got a great digital one from amazon for around $12. it has  tare function (resets to zero with an item on the scale), switches between oz and grams, and goes up to 11lbs.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

oh, and nice cookbooks, of course!

Yes, here are some:

Nourishing Traditions

Fire and Ice (Scandinavian dishes)

"Ladled" by Kimberly Harris

"Salads for all Seasons" by Kimberly Harris

OR some less common items:

Bees Paper (instead of plastic wrap) and other fun stuff:

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2015/12/12-kitchen-gifts-or-stocking-stuffers-10-or-under.html

• Like 1

If she has room, Williams-Sonoma has a great set of glass bowls that come in a great range of sizes. They are at your price limit but they have free shipping right now.

I have this kitchen spatula and I love it. It also comes in a larger set. I like that it's all silicone and can handle high heat and that I can leave it in the sink to soak, unlike a spatula with a wooden handle. It's very high quality and solid.

• Like 1

If she is eating a lot more salads, the very best thing I can suggest is the Pampered Chef salad spinner.  It is absolutely the best one around.  It spins very fast and really easily, and it has two net bowls--a big one for greens and a small one for berries.  It also has a snap on cover, so after making the salad, you can dump it into the bowl of the spinner and snap the lid on and keep it in the fridge til you're ready to dress and serve it.

• Like 2

I love my ceramic blade knife. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is easier on my hands and works better than any other knife I could afford, and probably a lot I couldn't afford. And it's colorful :)

This set is cute, although in honesty I didn't think the peeler lasted very well. But I'm tough on stuff and wash both the knife and the peeler in the dishwasher all the time. http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Advanced-Ceramic-Revolution-4-5-inch/dp/B001DD99XC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450183586&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=ceramic+blade+knife+santoku+ming

Kyocera is the brand I use, and I've loved it. You can find more options on this website: http://www.mingspantry.com/erplhakn.html

If I have to cook a lot, I like pretty/cute/sassy equipment, lol. But seriously, if my big pink ceramic knife is dirty I'll eitehr not cut stuff or will wash it so I can have that particular knife. And I hate washing things. But it never needs to be sharpened, vs the fancy knives that are dull in my house because no one ever gets around to sharpening them. 

• Like 1

Does she have the new Trim Healthy Mama cookbook?   I think the recipes look so good, and I'm not even on THM.  I've looked through it at friends' houses.  It looks like it's really discounted right now. 

ETA: And I just noticed that the 25% off any book coupon is still good for today.  I keep pushing off using it, so this is good news to me. :hurray:

Edited by wonderfilled
  • Like 1

My most used THM items are... blender (hoping to get a stick blender for Christmas, food processor, silicone muffin liners, silicone baking mats, thm specialty products ( baking blend, gentle sweet, gluccie...) and cute ramekins. I love the orange silk hydrating cream too- definitely the new cookbook, maybe a gifting of the new membership site?

Edited by Free Indeed