Menu

Contigo Coffee Cup

RkyMtnMom

I am wanting to get DH a coffee cup for Christmas. I have heard great things about Contigo and wanted to get your opinions on the two most popular ones.

Can anyone help me choose between the two?

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-Autoseal-Stainless-Travel-16-Ounce/dp/B00HZI5WXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449867350&sr=8-1&keywords=contigo+coffee+travel+mug

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-SnapSeal-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-20-Ounce/dp/B00IR77HG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449867350&sr=8-3&keywords=contigo+coffee+travel+mug

Thanks!

I have the first one you linked. It's a great mug and has held up well for me since I received it as a gift last Christmas. The lid is dishwasher safe, but the body is hand wash only. It keeps coffee hot, and I even use it for keeping water super-cold in the summer. Its only con for me is that it doesn't fit under my keurig. Since I mostly use it to-go, this is quite inconvenient as I have to brew my coffee into a cup first, then pour into my Contigo. Of course, this is a non-issue if you don't have a keurig. :) I can't compare though, because I don't have the other one you linked.

Good luck!

I have the first one. They had a 2 pack at Costco last year. I like it a lot for hot drinks. It keeps my tea super hot. I usually need to put an ice cube in it because it takes too long to cool on its own.

Costco has a different set of Contigo cups right now. It's a great deal but the mouth setup wouldn't be good for hot drinks. The hole is below a large lip and it gets a bit messy.

We have the first one, too. DH uses it at home, but found out that the coffee stayed too hot to drink on the way to work, and since he can't bring metal containers into work, he ended up wasting the coffee. I put it all in the dishwasher, even though you aren't supposed to, shhh.

Why doesn't he just add some cold water to top it off so it is drinkable on the way to work?

We have the first one and like it. It does keep things super hot for a long time. I usually put an ice cube in or leave the lid off for 5-10 minutes. Mine (160z) fits my keurig, but DH's (20oz) does not. I would choose the first one over the 2nd because of the lid- it looks like the second would be more difficult to clean. 

Mine was put in the dishwasher a couple of times-not by me!- and the colored part started to peel off. 

I have had two. They aren't my favorite. I don't like that you have to push the button to drink and there is something about the lid I don't like.

My favorite to go cup is a stainless by Hydro Flask.

Bingo. We've had several of these, both types linked, and the lid isn't great. But we are picky here, about coffee. To me, the lid adds its own, ummm, flavor. Ick.

I'm going to try the Hydro Flask.

• Like 1

We have two of the first kind. Great for keeping coffee hot, and pretty sturdy (not tippy or anything).

The problem is that with this great sealing lid, the mouthpiece starts to smell or get mildewy or something. I can't quite figure it out, but normal washing doesn't clean it. I don't know if there's an assembly inside that stays kind of wet, or what. I don't drink from mine anymore because even with extra cleaning, I can taste something funky. Maybe I should try cleaning with vinegar, but that might stay in there too and get even grosser.

Dh uses his and doesn't notice, but I'm a bit more observant about that sort of thing.

• Like 1

We have two of the first kind. Great for keeping coffee hot, and pretty sturdy (not tippy or anything).

The problem is that with this great sealing lid, the mouthpiece starts to smell or get mildewy or something. I can't quite figure it out, but normal washing doesn't clean it. I don't know if there's an assembly inside that stays kind of wet, or what. I don't drink from mine anymore because even with extra cleaning, I can taste something funky. Maybe I should try cleaning with vinegar, but that might stay in there too and get even grosser.

Dh uses his and doesn't notice, but I'm a bit more observant about that sort of thing.

My cup is a few years old and I think it has the lid that many people report having a problem cleaning. But I've never had any trouble with mine. I use a toothpick daily to swipe around inside the drinking hole (while holding the button in the open position). Once every week or two I let the cup soak in bleach or a Polident tablet, then I put the lid on and turn the cup upside down, let a little of the liquid run through the drinking hole and then let it soak upside down for a few more minutes. It takes ten minutes and keeps it very clean.

We have a few of the first ones, because like others, we bought them at Costco.  Dh and DD use them on a sail boat since you never know when you are going to spill.  Dh uses the other ones daily for his coffee and likes them just fine.  He isn't a fussy guy, so as long as it doesn't dribble on his work shirt, he is pretty happy.  I think he makes his coffee and pours his cup to go....then gets in the shower.  He doesn't put a lid on, until he is ready to leave. That way it cools down a bit before he leaves the house.  

We wash all cups in the dishwasher.  I don't buy anything that has to be babied.  LOL 

We have a few of the first ones, because like others, we bought them at Costco.  Dh and DD use them on a sail boat since you never know when you are going to spill.  Dh uses the other ones daily for his coffee and likes them just fine.  He isn't a fussy guy, so as long as it doesn't dribble on his work shirt, he is pretty happy.  I think he makes his coffee and pours his cup to go....then gets in the shower.  He doesn't put a lid on, until he is ready to leave. That way it cools down a bit before he leaves the house.  

We wash all cups in the dishwasher.  I don't buy anything that has to be babied.  LOL 

I do have several things that need to be hand washed and I don't mind a quick hand wash, but no way am I soaking it in tablets or using a toothpick to run through it......I will forget.....I am not an "extras" person.  I am a big picture, get 'er done type.

• Like 1

My cup is a few years old and I think it has the lid that many people report having a problem cleaning. But I've never had any trouble with mine. I use a toothpick daily to swipe around inside the drinking hole (while holding the button in the open position). Once every week or two I let the cup soak in bleach or a Polident tablet, then I put the lid on and turn the cup upside down, let a little of the liquid run through the drinking hole and then let it soak upside down for a few more minutes. It takes ten minutes and keeps it very clean.

Mine have the easy clean lid. It kind of pops open, so the drinking hole is fully exposed and gets clean when it runs through the dishwasher.

• Like 1

I am wanting to get DH a coffee cup for Christmas. I have heard great things about Contigo and wanted to get your opinions on the two most popular ones.

Can anyone help me choose between the two?

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-Autoseal-Stainless-Travel-16-Ounce/dp/B00HZI5WXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449867350&sr=8-1&keywords=contigo+coffee+travel+mug

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-SnapSeal-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-20-Ounce/dp/B00IR77HG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449867350&sr=8-3&keywords=contigo+coffee+travel+mug

Thanks!

I have one like the first one.  (If you have a Costco membership they sell a pair pretty inexpensively!) I love them... However, my husband does NOT.  They are too small for him.  He carries  one like this:  http://shop.dutchbros.com/products/dutch-holiday-mug

So I would definitely go with the second, 20 oz, mug.

I agree.

DH has had two versions of the first one. The original and the easy clean lid.

He drinks cream in his coffee and they both got nasty. He rinses the cup as soon as he's done with his coffee and I would wash it every night. But there are nooks and crannies in the lid, especially around the hinges (the new one is better but still had problems).

He eventually stopped using them because we couldn't keep them clean.

He now uses a ceramic cup with a simple silicone lid. Not at all spill proof but works ok for dh.

Costco has a two pack of Contigo coffee mugs. We love them! In the spring/summer, they have a Contigo set for cold drinks. The ones now are definitely travel hot mugs. I like having to push the button because I'm a klutz and have little kids. :) They keep coffee hot forever! I keep one mug for tea only. The plastic lid eventually gets a perms-coffee taste to it, but I have coffee in mine 12 hrs a day... ;)

ETA: sorry, I forgot to say they are the first version you linked. We've gotten them annually for 10? years. I give my parents a box each year, and we rotate out a couple of ours. (See also klutz--dropping them on the driveway repeatedly, running lid through garbage disposal, etc.)

Edited by zoobie

I have the 2nd one linked and its been great so far. I have had it for over a year. I throw all of it in the dishwasher and haven't had an issue.

Have you looked at the Yeti cups. My parents and sisters adore theirs. They actually gush about them. But I think they can't go in the dishwasher which is why I haven't tried one yet.