Menu

Present dilemma....trying to decide for my husband

ktgrok

Should I get him the Fitbit Surge?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Get the surge, and have fewer presents? Or skip it and get more stuff?

• Buy the Surge. He has it on his list, and it will be good for him long term.
    • Get him other stuff, the Surge isn't fun/too expensive.
    • The fitbit Surge is garbage, no one should have one.
    • other

He has multiple "wish lists" on Amazon and elsewhere. Lately he's been very into security type stuff, including lock picks, etc as well as electronics like various mini computers. However, he's also very unhappy about his weight and talks about getting better about exercising several times a day every day. Keeping that in mind, my options are:

1. Buy him lots of electronics stuff, some lockpick stuff, and a few graphic tshirts I know he wants. 

Pros: Lots more stuff to open, and stuff he will find "fun". Cons: he might buy this stuff for himself anyway, and justify it as projects for work. And he has WAY too many t-shirts already. 

2. Buy him a Fitbit Surge, which IS on his amazon wishlist but not something he talks about much lately, and one electronics thing. The kids would get him a few inexpensive things from the lockpick site and maybe the teen would get him a shirt. Or lockpicks. 

Pros: He healthwise needs an incentive to exercise, and the Surge is on his list, so I can assume he wants it. I reminded him to take anything off the list he doesn't want, and he didn't take it off. It's a gadget, and he likes gadgets. He will never buy it for himself, ever. He just won't spend that much on himself. Cons: less to open at Christmas, he doesn't talk about it much so maybe he doesn't want it that much? I'd be going over budget, but as it is partly for health reasons I'm okay with that. We went under budget on some of the kids, so we can pull it off. 

If he really doesn't want it, he coudl take it back, I'll keep the receipt and Bed Bath and Beyond is good about returns. But I don't want him to not like a Christmas present, you know? But my teen son, who is on the same wavelength about gadgets as my husband says it is cool, and he will like it. I know he wants the Surge vs the Charge HR that I have because..hell I don't remember. Something about controlling the music on it, and it gets text messages, etc I think. I just know it's the one he wants. He's almost bought it a few times, but never would spend the money. So for that reason, I think its a good thing. But, he's used to getting a bunch of smaller presents, so I don't know if he'd be dissapointed not to have a lot to open. 

Although, I think he's getting me one bigger present this year, as well. Not sure what, but that's my impression. Last year it was a printer, so it's not like we don't do practical gifts, lol. (his gift to me). 

So, what says the hive?

I chose the Surge, because you said he wouldn't buy that for himself, and he would buy the other things.

And as long as he's already on board with being more fit, I think it's a great gift that ties into your surgery and what you are doing to be healthier.

IF you're wrong and he doesn't like it, it gets returned.  But if you choose the other option, he'll never have the CHOICE to like the Surge. 

:)

• Like 6

Some of the stuff I want the most I talk about the least because it just doesn't occur to me to go on and on about things.  Or, like Night Elf says, I figure it's out of reach and I don't want others to feel bad about not getting it. I vote for the Surge (although I'd never ever want one for myself, so don't anyone take that as a hint).

Edited by GailV

Buy the surge. Keep the receipt. Tell him it was the one thing on his list you didn't think he'd eventually get for himself, so you wanted to get him the one item that he'd never buy for himself.

If there is anything else you can think of to wrap, then wrap it, even if you normally wouldn't.

Or making the unwrapping of the Surge fun. Put it in a HUGE box, with a smaller box inside, and another smaller box...so that he has a good 6 boxes to unwrap to get to the surge.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Is it possible he doesn't talk about the Surge because he considers it too expensive? If he  didn't take it off his list, I'd say he still wants it. It could be a wonderful surprise for him.

You know, this is actually very possible. I hadn't thought of that. 

Thank you all! 

I do think I will get it. Budget be darned :)

He really won't buy it himself. And part of that is just when he wants something big he keeps hemming and hawing, looking for a better deal, better features, etc until 5 years go by and the thing is no longer available. It took him a year to buy a printer. And SEVERAL YEARs to buy a pair of khaki pants, lol. 

There is no perfect fitness tracker to do everything he would like one to do, he's researched it and I have. The Surge is the closest, and because myself, his aunt, some mutual friends, etc all have them there is the competition aspect, which can be motivating. 

• Like 3

I have several friends who weren't aware of how much they sit or how little they sleep until they got a fitbit or apple watch.  That number at the end of the day makes them inordinately happy.

Most of them went from mostly sedentary to much more active in the course of the last year.  One of them is now talking about doing a triathlon in the spring.

• Like 1

You solve that and go for the Apple Watch instead.  Didn't I just read Target is giving $100 gift cards when you buy an apple watch?  Can't afford to buy something else with that kind of deal.  :D

I'm just joking.  I've never looked at the Surge, but me I'd want an apple watch.  That was a pretty good deal too with the $100 gift card.

He definitely doesn't want the Apple Watch, but thank you. I found a deal at Brookstone, they have a 25% off one item code, and the shipping was low as well (oddly, the expedited shipping was less than the standard shipping!) So I ordered it. It won't ship until the 15th, but with expedited shipping we should still be okay. And he can return it anytime before Jan 31 to any Brookstone. (we have a few locally). 

Of course, I found this out from a friend AFTER buying one at Target, sigh. So tomorrow I have to go to target and return this one. 

• Like 1

I only see upsides to the FB.  Good for health, it's a gadget, he wouldn't buy it for himself, he hasn't been talking about it lately (which means he's not thinking as much about it, which means a REAL SURPRISE!), and it's not more "stuff" (you already said he has too many t-shirts).  I think it's perfect.

I vote obligatory other. I like having lots of things to open and variety on christmas, I'd hate getting a single item.

Is his birthday anytime soon? I would be more likely to buy the surge as a birthday present. For our family Christmas isn't really the time for huge single gifts.

But if it's not soon, or you don't exchange birthday gifts, I suppose go for the surge. 

I have to admit that we don't buy adults presents, and certainly not more than one--like we'd buy ONE special thing for Christmas--so I'm biased and I chose the Surge. One present seems to me to be plenty.

That said, we don't do the whole OMG look at all those presents under the tree thing so I'm not sure if I've given this the balanced perspective you're looking for.

I think a surge is a great gift idea though and if it's on his list, go for it. Lucky guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote obligatory other. I like having lots of things to open and varietyonchristmas, I'd hate getting a single item.

Is his birthday anytime soon? I would be more likely to buy the surge as a birthday present. For our family Christmas isn't really the time for huge single gifts.

But if it's not soon, or you don't exchange birthday gifts, I suppose go for the surge. 

I do feel bad about that, but the kids got him a few small things. and, even better, my mom needed suggestions on what to get him, so I steered her to his list and she got several of the smaller items! So now he'll have plenty to open up. 

And, I found out he got me one big gift too, so that helps. (sadly, it's no longer a surprise, but he thinks it is. I saw the mailing lablel and it was obvious where it came from.)

Even better, now my son wants a fitbit! So I got him the Charge HR like I have, and found a sale on it at Walmart.com. So now all three of us will have them, which will add some competition to it :) My son is underweight and thin, but NEEDS to exercise more. He's a gamer, plus has a part time job adminning a server, etc so sits way too much. Hoping this will help. 

• Like 1