Menu

returning disposable container

school17777

I gave my neighbor some frozen soup in a disposable container that I had in the freezer when she was sick a couple of weeks ago. She just came over with a new pack of containers because someone throw the container away. I laughed and told her it was disposable for a reason and I didn't expect it to be returned! These containers proliferate like crazy! I sure wish my glass ones did the same!

I think that was very thoughtful of her. I keep very few non- glass containers, so if one went missing I would definitely notice. I'm weirdly frugal about stuff like that and would probably just go inconvenienced than buy another one. It wouldn't occur to me to not return someone else's container. Especially after such a nice gesture!

• Like 1

I also would give food in a disposable container and not expect it to be returned. When I give food it's usually because the person has so much going on--illness, new baby, just moved--that (in my mind) they don't need the extra worry of keeping track and returning containers.

• Like 3

I don't expect to get back disposable containers - especially from my constantly replenished supply of pint and quart containers.

otoh: I do expect my kids to return my glad/rubbermaid containers . . . . I don't expect other people to return them.

I also would give food in a disposable container and not expect it to be returned. When I give food it's usually because the person has so much going on--illness, new baby, just moved--that (in my mind) they don't need the extra worry of keeping track and returning containers.

I agree.

If you live close and are able to return the container, that's great, but I certainly don't expect it.

When my mom died, one of her friends brought over a cake (I guess, none of us remember). Two months later when we were all there cleaning out her house the friend came and was asking for her "plastic cake pan". None of us knew what she was talking about and didn't find it in the kitchen. She was a bit put out.

I never want to put a burden like that on someone when they're going through a difficult time.

• Like 3

I purposely give food in disposable containers so that the recipient doesn't need to worry about returning it.  Usually I will vocalize that as well when giving the food, something like "keep the container". 

When I give home-canned foods pretty much everyone knows by now that if they'd like more in the future, they need to return my canning jars.  I really do remember who returns them and who doesn't!  Though, if I know someone does canning themselves, they get a pass on returning them, because I know they will be using them. 

• Like 2

I think that was very thoughtful of her. I keep very few non- glass containers, so if one went missing I would definitely notice. I'm weirdly frugal about stuff like that and would probably just go inconvenienced than buy another one. It wouldn't occur to me to not return someone else's container. Especially after such a nice gesture!

I specifically give food in disposable containers to prevent the person feeling obligated to return!

• Like 2

I agree.

If you live close and are able to return the container, that's great, but I certainly don't expect it.

When my mom died, one of her friends brought over a cake (I guess, none of us remember). Two months later when we were all there cleaning out her house the friend came and was asking for her "plastic cake pan". None of us knew what she was talking about and didn't find it in the kitchen. She was a bit put out.

I never want to put a burden like that on someone when they're going through a difficult time.

That's awful. 

I don't expect containers back either.  But I tend to take them back when I can.  I try to follow the suggestion of not returning a container empty... sometimes. :-)

When our church meal coordinator sends out an appeal for meals, she always tells people to use disposable containers and tells the recipient not to worry about returning anything. 

• Like 1

I specifically give food in disposable containers to prevent the person feeling obligated to return!

Yeah, I wouldn't want anyone to feel obligated, but I'd be surprised I guess. It kind of seems like there might be different opinions on " disposable containers"; to me that means expensive Rubbermaid type containers, the kind with a really long shelf life. I don't save take out containers or whatever else might accumulate, but those I wouldn't think twice about.

Also, like I said, I'm weird about stuff like that so I don't tend to buy them. Almost everything in my house or to share goes in mason jars or glass. If I buy plastic, it's really good quality plastic.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of throwing away things that are perfectly re-usable, even if they are meant to be disposed of after one use. I'm in the zero waste direction. So yes, I always attempt to return people's containers unless they told me not to. If they say the container is disposable and they don't want it back, I'm still most probably reusing it for a while, just to avoid the waste. :)

ETA: i should add this P.S. -- When I was in a bad situation and had many meal gifts for several weeks, I did not worry about the dishes unless they were obviously somone's nice baking dish or whatever. So, yes - given certain dire circumstances, it is true I would not clean and save every plastic or foil pan someone gave to me with food inside. But if it were just a given day when I was sick, yes, I'm going to attempt to return that pan or dish.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

To me, the purpose of disposable containers is so they don't have to be returned. It would never occur to me to return one when someone gives me something in one. And I'd find it bizarre if someone returned one to me.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of throwing away things that are perfectly re-usable, even if they are meant to be disposed of after one use. I'm in the zero waste direction. So yes, I always attempt to return people's containers unless they told me not to. If they say the container is disposable and they don't want it back, I'm still most probably reusing it for a while, just to avoid the waste. :)

I don't throw them away when someone gives me one....... I save it for when I'm giving someone something.

• Like 3

I put food in disposable containers when I give it just so it doesn't have to be returned. Sometimes those containers are plastic and sometimes I use an aluminum pan. Either way, I never want the person to have to worry about getting it back to me. I do always voice that when I drop off, "nothing needs to be returned". 

That said, I reuse disposable containers many times. They do not accumulate for me. I buy them in multipacks use them repeatedly and give them away as the opportunity arises. I just keep replenishing. I almost never throw one away.

• Like 1

I always give food in disposable containers. Those are usually repurposed plastic ice cream boxes - I don't purchase disposable containers, since so many foods are packaged in containers that can be reused perfectly well. 

People usually return them anyway. I guess my friends are all environmentally minded.

I always give food in disposable containers. Those are usually repurposed plastic ice cream boxes - I don't purchase disposable containers, since so many foods are packaged in containers that can be reused perfectly well. 

People usually return them anyway. I guess my friends are all environmentally minded.

Wait-- Your ice cream comes in plastic?!

• Like 1

I read a suggestion one time that I thought was great, but I haven't followed up on it much:

Keep an eye out for casserole dishes and such at yard sales, and use those when taking mercy meals to someone. Be sure to tell them to keep the dish or pass it along.

If people go out of their way to return disposable containers, they will most likely will insist upon returning a casserole dish despite the suggestion to keep it or pass it along. I wouldn't be too keen on receiving a casserole dish to find a place for until I had the opportunity to pass it on. My kitchen cabinets are pretty full.

• Like 1