Menu

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Susan in TN!

ScoutTN

Pssst...is a hornline instructor for a marching band? I see it in your signature, that your son does it.

Yes. He played trombone and baritone in the marching band for 5 years. He also played solo and ensemble for several years. He still plays in the pep band at home basketball games. At the beginning of the marching band season, the band director asked him if he would help instruct. He accepted the offer. He just told me the other day that he plans to continue helping as long as they want him. He said the music really helps with stress relief, and he really enjoys it.

This is probably more than you wanted to know. However, we just finished a really excellent marching season this year.:)

• Like 2

Especially since it has been all I have talked about the last two months. :D Now that the season is over, it will take a bit to regroup.;)

I know. Sometimes I get a little obsessed about something and when it's over I'm like "What was I supposed to be doing again? Didn't I have hobbies or responsibilities or something?"

• Like 3

Yes. He played trombone and baritone in the marching band for 5 years. He also played solo and ensemble for several years. He still plays in the pep band at home basketball games. At the beginning of the marching band season, the band director asked him if he would help instruct. He accepted the offer. He just told me the other day that he plans to continue helping as long as they want him. He said the music really helps with stress relief, and he really enjoys it.

This is probably more than you wanted to know. However, we just finished a really excellent marching season this year.:)

Thanks! It sounds great!

My boys played trombone. It didn't turn out as good for them. Older DS got talked into it by the band director and played 3 years but never fell in love with it.

Younger DS also played trombone in concert and jazz band for 2 years and did really well. But his goal was to play guitar in Jazz band. He needed to be in concert band and have an instrument in there so that's why he played trombone. Unfortunately, the director never even let DS audition/play guitar for him bc the director insisted he "needed DS on 'bone."

At the end of the second year, DS asked once more to audition and was told no so DS left concert and jazz band. I think it really broke his heart. He had spent years playing guitar and wanted so badly to play in that jazz band.

• Like 2

Thanks! It sounds great!

My boys played trombone. It didn't turn out as good for them. Older DS got talked into it by the band director and played 3 years but never fell in love with it.

Younger DS also played trombone in concert and jazz band for 2 years and did really well. But his goal was to play guitar in Jazz band. He needed to be in concert band and have an instrument in there so that's why he played trombone. Unfortunately, the director never even let DS audition/play guitar for him bc the director insisted he "needed DS on 'bone."

At the end of the second year, DS asked once more to audition and was told no so DS left concert and jazz band. I think it really broke his heart. He had spent years playing guitar and wanted so badly to play in that jazz band.

Oh, no! I am so sorry to hear this.:( It is so sad when adults squash the dreams of our children.

I hope and pray he has another, better opportunity come to him.