Menu

Handmade gifts ( think sewing) for toddler boys

KatieJ

My kids love, love, love the pillowcases that I made with fabric chosen specifically for them.  I actually make them like a decorative pillow with the flap in the middle so that the pillow does not slide out the side.  Or you could get one of those huge body-length sized pillows and cover that.

• Like 1

I second the cape idea. Or a hat/mittens. There are some cool winter hat patterns out there (dinosaur/mohawk spikes come to mind.)

And of course, consider the kinds of things- themes, characters, etc. he is interested in. You could easily adjust the pattern for a bean bag game, or a hat or shirt or jacket to be minion themed, or cheetah themed or whatever.

I made explorer bags for my boys when around that age. Sized down the measurements to make it easy for them to handle, they loved them! I didn't fill them, just made the bags. They turned out so adorable, I used a really fun lining fabric. http://chezbeeperbebe.blogspot.com/2011/06/make-this-nature-explorer-bag.html

Also, how my boys loved their capes! They wore them everywhere every day.

• Like 2

I made a super hero pillowcase and fleece blanket for my youngest last year. I made a mini messenger style bag for a three year old several years ago. I have also done Montessori aprons (I got the pattern on-line for free). I am thinking of making a train case from here http://shop.gingercake.org/for my youngest this year. She has some great patterns, reasonably priced. I find they are very easy to work with and have loved everything I have made from her. (I have done the Crayon Art Folio, Sleep Over Tote, Lola Owl pillow as a bag (instructions included with the pillow pattern), On the Go Organizer and Make Your Own Getaway Duffle, made for 3/4 of my kids). Check out her site because the rest of my suggestions would probably be from there.  :001_smile:

My boys liked costumes and various bags.

I made them Winnie the pooh costumes (a Pooh, a Piglet, and a Kanga) by adapting this pattern  They were really into Winne at the time.  Those costumes got so much wear! 

They wore them to tatters.

They also really liked this discoverer's utility belt, and mini messenger bag.

I made them each a "money purse" (small zippered pouch) that snapped into the messenger bags.  Big hit.

ETA:  I forgot about thier penguin costumes.  At ages 6 and 7, they still wear them.  Super easy:  Sewed fabric eyes (circles) and fabric beak (orange tirangle) to existing black fleece toque.  Sewed a white fabric panel to the front of an thrifted adult black t-shirt sized to come to child's knees or so, sewed some black fleece triangle flaps to the sleeve.  Almost instant pengui.  They wear these with their long-johns, which happen to be black. Occasionally they will stuff a pillow down the shirt to be extra funny. 

The Sewing For Boys book has treasure pocket pants. They are basically elastic banded pants with super long pockets that go down the side (not sure how deep since I haven't made them). My 3 year old would love something like that.

If you like more detailed work you could make a roll up pouch for small cars or crayons.

My SIL made all the kids fleece blankets at about that age. I don't sew but I don't think they were complicated. She chose patterns that were unique to each of them and they still (the oldest just turned 12) have them on their beds. Last year or the year before she made them all robes out of fleece, also a big hit.