Menu

Edmonds vs. Bremerton

HSMWB

This is in WA state - if these were your choice of where to live, which would you choose and why? For those who need more information:

-DH works in downtown Seattle, commute from E - 30 minute train, from B - 50 minute ferry. Note, ferry runs all day and most of night, train runs one way in morning, other in evening, miss the train, opps, he thinks he would spend night at parents house if this happens.

- our house is about the same in both locations. Closer to small park (that is dog friendly) in B town, further but much nicer park in E town but parks have huge 'no dog' signs all over them.

- library and town in general is more dog friendly in town B (we have a dog with serious anxiety issues kids refuse to consider re-homing her).

-DH likes the high schools in town E better (which might play into the future)

- in town E, basic life living things are slightly further away or more difficult.

Where would you want to live?? What to consider??

Edmonds is a really cute town, but it is a little hard to get in and out of.  But a nice little town.

I don't know much about Bremerton personally, but about a year ago, we saw a suh-weet house at a grrr-eat price and so we looked into it.  Check the crime statistics.  We don't live in Bremerton.

If you are taking a car on the ferry from Bremerton, beware that it can increase your commute longer than 50min. The line on/off the ferry can be so long in the tourist times, that you might have to wait out multiple Ferrys to get home.

This.  Ferrys can take a very long time to wait for, load, then unload.  So, that 50 min. can turn into 90 pretty quickly.  

But then, I want to live closer to the city and not rely on a Ferry.  I would choose Edmonds.

Are these your only two options?

I would look at the ease of getting to other places you might need/want to go.  Sounds like the grandparents are not on the west side of the Sound, so that would be ferry or bridge or long drive every time you want to visit (assuming you want to visit regularly).

Would you live walking distance to the ferry/train?  And is dh's office within walking distance from the downtown terminals?  Otherwise you are also looking at adding car/bus to the trip. 

Are Edmonds or Bremerton your only two options?

• Like 1

When we lived in Kitsap County we were in Poulsbo.  Very cute town, crime was lower, very walkable.  We didn't travel to Seattle that much, but the Bainbridge Island ferry was what we used...although BI ferry would also back up just like in Bremerton...pretty much at peak times, all ferry traffic will be a challenge. :/ I think you can bring your bicycle onto the ferry but I don't know how that works...would be great during summer, longer daylight hours with tourists clogging up vehicle traffic.  Bainbridge Island is pretty convenient to Seattle but not to the rest of Kitsap County, and it is $$$.  

Makes me miss WA, all this ferry talk :) Good luck!

The ferries are a way of life... I would prefer Edmonds for accessibility and just because I'm not island stock. Also, my biased impression of Bremerton is kind of company town. It's cute in parts but I'd choose Edmonds. Why those two? What about Mill Creek, Lynnwood, Issaquah, any other little suburb?

• Like 2

I grew up in B-town it was a pretty good place to grow up.  Can your DH walk onto the ferry it goes much faster/cheaper.  The schools were not awesome when I graduated but are supposed to be on a major upswing with much more  focus on college prep than when I was there.  

edmonds. it is a much, much, nicer area (Bremerton always feels very run down.  the business district feels depressed.  I've been through/there at least a few times in the last year.) - as well as having far better access (re: not ferry dependent) to many areas, not just seattle.

there is no contest for me.  (and yes, Edmonds is a bit of a challenge getting into and out of. I would also look at Millcreek, Bothell, Woodinville, Lynnwood, etc.)

• Like 2

Also - let's add in that laundry facilities in the two places are different - on-site laundry in B - have to go to a laundry mat in E town - and the closest one is 15 or so minutes away, by car.

I was going to say Edmonds, but I would rather have a laundry room in Bremerton!

One thing about the ferry vs. train for your husband...it seems like there are several times during the year when the train service between Seattle and Everett is cancelled because of mudslides.  Then he would be taking the bus. 

Edmonds. 1000x Edmonds.

Bremerton and that part of the pennisula have issues. Serious, serious issues. And I say this as someone who has lived, quite happily, in some the rougher areas of Seattle where people generally advise one not to live. I would not live in Bremerton. That is saying a lot as I would pretty much be willing to live anywhere else.

The Bremerton to Seattle ferry commute will be expensive. You could practically pay someone to come and wash and fold your laundry in Edmonds for what that ferry commute will set you back. Also, it's not 50 minutes once you tack on getting from the terminal to work downtown unless your husband works at the ferry terminal in that McDs or something. ;) you will see way less of your husband than you think with that ferry commute.

Edmonds has better:

Parks

Schools (including a great program for homeschoolers)

Businesses

Roads/streets

Closer proximity to regional assets and recreational opportunities

Tons of options for homescholers, religious and secular

Bremerton beats Edmonds on...number of skinheads and meth labs.

Edmonds. Just trust us on this one.

I'd pound my laundry clean with a rock before I gave up Edmonds for Bremerton.

I have no fewer than 7 friends who have moved to Bremerton and then moved back within 2 years in the last 7-8 years. The ferry commute, the crime, the schools, the crazy meth manufacturing neighbors all being cited as reasons.

• Like 9

I would not want to rely on the ferry. They break down, have delays, stop running with low tides etc. If the ferry doesn't run you are pretty much stuck. The Bremerton ferry is pretty straight forward, but.....

As for the the towns I'd live in Edmonds. Cute town, not too far from shopping etc. Bremerton, at least by the ferry is very military & touristy. I love going over there, but I wouldn't want to live there.

• Like 2

I believe Bremerton will be an excellent place to live in 10 years. If I could, I'd buy a house there, rent it out, and wait for housing prices to increase. 

However, I would never live there now. Meth is a problem. Property crime is a problem. (as it is all over the peninsula.) There is probably nothing that could make me live in Bremerton right now. Edmonds, on the other hand, I'd live in a heartbeat. 

Wow.  If Bremerton is the hellhole you're all describing, I don't understand why people have pitched a fit over the high school football coach saying a prayer after a few football games.  It sounds like the mayor and the police chief should be joining him on the field to pray for their community...they must need a come to Jesus moment over there, and the sooner the better!!!

Lol - I totlly agree - well kind of at least - we have been in Bremerton for the past few months and actually I kind of like it - I personally think it is really possibly on the up and coming. It feel a bit safer then Edmonds just hanging out during the day, although a little empty, but you can tell tons of money has been and is being poured into the area. There is an awesome spray park area right next to the ferry terminal with the 'navy submarine' theme.

And I am shocked that no one thinks the 'opps I ran late at work and now there is 'no' transportation home on the train so I am going to have to not come home to my family tonight' is not on anyone's list of why a longer but more predictable ferry commute might be better.

Also - let's add in that laundry facilities in the two places are different - on-site laundry in B - have to go to a laundry mat in E town - and the closest one is 15 or so minutes away, by car.

Ugh! And commute to Seattle for the other adult?

Why are these the only two options?

Bremerton isn't that crappy... I mean I come from another town that isn't far from a military post and that is a good 1 hr from Seattle so maybe I'm biased, but it's not nice, either.

The ferry is not that predictable. They break down, you miss them--you just never know. My boss rides the ferry. She is not a huge fan though she loves transport and boats. It's just the system that is very, very old.

I seriously would choose Edmonds.

But if there were any way I could live closer, I would. The commute is brutal and soul-killing. Perhaps less so on a train or boat.

• Like 1

' is not on anyone's list of why a longer but more predictable ferry commute might be better.

My parents have lived in the Seattle area for ~15 years.  They have many choice words for their ferry, but never has it resembled anything such as "predictable."  They consider the ferry system what they have to suffer through to live where they want to live.  ;)

I have other family who live on the Bremerton side, but they work on that side too.  They would never, ever choose to commute on the ferry, although they live just two blocks up from the ferry dock and could walk to it.

The whole area is gorgeous!! 

• Like 1

The ferry is not that predictable. They break down, you miss them--you just never know. My boss rides the ferry. She is not a huge fan though she loves transport and boats. It's just the system that is very, very old.

I seriously would choose Edmonds.

But if there were any way I could live closer, I would. The commute is brutal and soul-killing. Perhaps less so on a train or boat.

There is also the issue of the ferry system is losing tons of money. Every now and then they talk about changing the fee structure dramatically. Knowing this area, it could very well happen, after all, it now costs $5, each way to cross the 520 bridge to/from Seattle.

People I know who ride the ferry plan their outings so they only have to come across to Seattle as minimally as possible, because trips add up.

• Like 2

People I know who ride the ferry plan their outings so they only have to come across to Seattle as minimally as possible, because trips add up.

Not to mention time spent/wasted waiting in ferry lines.

I know there's a new reservation system that is apparently being tested, but it sounds like it's only on certain routes. For my family, it's been a welcomed change.  And re the tolls adding up, they definitely plan their trips to include which vehicle to take, because of the cost difference between a smaller car and a larger truck.

And I am shocked that no one thinks the 'opps I ran late at work and now there is 'no' transportation home on the train so I am going to have to not come home to my family tonight' is not on anyone's list of why a longer but more predictable ferry commute might be better.

Well, you could take a bus if you miss the train.  It probably won't be as fast, and it might not go directly from your downtown office to the Edmonds train station, but it should get you somewhere reasonably close to your destination even if you do have to transfer or walk a bit.  Or maybe get a ride home from the park & ride.

I suspect both of these commute time estimates are from the train station or ferry dock to the first Seattle stop, and do not include getting from home to transit location, from transit to work, and back in both directions each day, plus waiting time.

Is your DH's job always going to be in downtown Seattle (very stable long term job in stable company)? Just a slight move can make a huge difference when you don't have a car to commute with. For example, if the company moves offices to a place that requires a bus transfer out of the downtown core, waiting and transfer times could easily add another half-hour to either of these already long, possibly underestimated, commutes. If the job becomes unworkable for another reason, then are other opportunities available within reasonable commute from either of these outlying locations?

• Like 2

I love Bremerton, especially the area around Mannette bridge, it's only the issue of the ferry/tourism that was difficult for a friend of mine. Also, Bremerton just lost their hospital, and there aren't a lot of shopping choices in Bremerton itself. Silverdale, which isn't far at all, has a hospital and several more stores, though.

I believe Bremerton will be an excellent place to live in 10 years. 

The thing is that, as someone who has been in this region nearly my entire life and lived on both sides of the sound, people have been saying that about Bremerton for 25 odd years.  It may actually arrive at some point.  Or it may be "always up and coming".  

To be fair, my dislike of the area is long standing and could be partially a holdover vendetta against the skinheads there.  Still, as I thought of it, I started counting up the people who have moved there...and moved back and I got to seven without cracking a sweat.  That's just who I personally know and all fairly recent.  One friend moved back after less than a year in September.  

It's not the worst place.  One could certainly live there but for me, not as a first to 17th choice and not when the job is in Seattle. Edmonds is way nicer and there are many other places in this region that are way nicer.  

Also, the Edmonds commute can be made fairly easily via bus or vanpool or car.  The train is one way to do it.  For a place like Bremerton, the ferry is the only way and the crossing time itself is 50 minutes so realistically that could be 1.5 hours or more EACH WAY on a good day.  

• Like 2

The people I know who have to have a back up place to stay when their commute falls apart?  As in, they know they have a couch in which they can crash on the Seattle side of the sound?  Those people are ferry commuters.  Trains are way more reliable and predictable in reputation than the ferries.  And there are MANY buses that will get to an Edmonds area P&R in a pinch.  There is no bus that crosses the sound, lol.  

• Like 1

a few months of super nice summer weather indicates you haven't lived here long enough to see the irony in the bolded.  it is no more dependable than any other commute.  boats break down and get pulled, weekenders crowd the lines, weather slows down crossings (and winter storms are coming).   are you driving, or walk-on?  what are you doing for the "other" side of the crossing to get to the final destination and how long will that take? what if you miss that connection?

• Like 2

It is a walk on walk off ferry connection. There are no busses at all. No cars at all. It does not matter if it is a ferry or a train - no car is available to be a part of the commute either in B or in E. No car on either end, no bus on either end, he can walk both to the house and to the job in either commute. The job is as stable as any job can possibly be. I can not even imagine them moving the offices from where they are located, they are not going out of business.

And I appreciate all the Seattle love. I'm just wondering when does making daily life more difficult (and expensive) for me in E balance with the commute for DH in B? At what point would it tip for 'you'?

And no, don't worry, our family will make the decision that works for us. I am just curious what others think and want to make sure that we are considering all the different angles.

It is a walk on walk off ferry connection. There are no busses at all. No cars at all. It does not matter if it is a ferry or a train - no car is available to be a part of the commute either in B or in E.

And I appreciate all the Seattle love. I'm just wondering when does making daily life more difficult (and expensive) for me in E balance with the commute for DH in B? At what point would it tip for 'you'?

It is a walk-on walk-off connection, but walking is not a Star Trek transporter. It takes time even if there are no rush hour traffic jams on the sidewalks. Walking 10 minutes from home to train/ferry and 10 from train/ferry to work is over 1.5 hours per week of additional commuting time. And, the train or ferry schedule may not match exactly with your DH's work schedule, meaning he has to leave home earlier or leave Seattle later due to the mismatch. And, you can't show up at 6:59 for a 7:00 boarding time for a train or a ferry. You have to leave time to swipe your pass or whatever. Even if you time it to be ready to board at exactly 7:00 with the bare minimum wasted time, trains and ferries get off schedule. Especially the ferries - storms, tides, etc. can wreak havoc at certain times of the year. Again, lost time. Right now the WSDOT site says the typical crossing time Bremerton to Seattle tonight, even before any allowances for anything else, is 60 minutes not 50, so I will stand by my guess that you are underestimating your door-to-door commute times.

Both of these commutes will be hard on your family. Whether his stress in Bremerton is worse than your stress in Edmonds is something for you to guys to determine yourselves, but you should really be looking for a place that isn't chronically stressful for either of you if there are any other options.

Is your current living situation unworkable and you're trying to find something in a hurry? How much time have you spent in these towns that you have to ask what they are like? If it's been hard to spend much time visiting because you don't have a car, I think that's all the more reason to go through the hassle of getting around there without the car, because that's the life you're signing up for. I also think if you spend time hanging out in each place, you'd find they each have different "vibes."

• Like 2

you sound like you want to chose bremerton.  makes me wonder why you asked.

She said why - she wants to make sure she's considered all the angles.  It's pretty normal to lean one way or the other. I posted a similar thread recently, looking for opinions on something.  I did feel a favoring for one over the other option, but wanted to see if there was something I hadn't considered and I did get some good feedback with one particular point that made a difference in my decision. 

And I just find the debate interesting. I posted to another Internet group of women - and they favor Bremerton to Edmonds at about the same rate that you guys favor Edmonds. Lol

Was this other internet group featuring people from the area who actually understand the commute, or were they just random folks who were basing their answers on how you described the two commutes and locales? I live in the Puget Sound area, and I would never choose Bremerton over Edmonds unless my husband worked over there. For a job in downtown Seattle, no way, never, which is pretty much what every other person on this board who actually lives in this area has said.

It's clear that you prefer Bremerton. Just be sure before you move there that you will really prefer it in when the ferry isn't running because of a bomb scare or a mechanical issue or high winds. Be sure you'll really prefer it when it consistently adds an hour and a half to his work day on both ends. That extra three hours a day is a big deal to a lot of people, yet you seem to want your husband to spend it commuting so that you don't have to go to a laundromat. Take some of the money you save by not taking the ferry all the time and buy a washer if it's that big of a deal.

You seem to really believe that if he misses his train, he won't be able to come home, but that's absolutely ridiculous. As others have said, buses do run to Edmonds. It's actually not that far of a drive anyway, so if I lived in Edmonds and my husband worked in downtown Seattle and he missed the train, I'd just drive down and get him. No big deal. Or he could take the bus to a park and ride up north. Again, no big deal.

I know I sound harsh, but I'm really absolutely boggled that you seem that set on Bremerton, of all places.

• Like 5

She said why - she wants to make sure she's considered all the angles.  It's pretty normal to lean one way or the other. I posted a similar thread recently, looking for opinions on something.  I did feel a favoring for one over the other option, but wanted to see if there was something I hadn't considered and I did get some good feedback with one particular point that made a difference in my decision. 

she did say why - and then she expressed surprise that so many are down on bremerton, and boohoos anyone else's objections to b-town.  she's also asked on another site where most people supported b-town.  she sounds like she wants support for choosing b-town.

eta: sun asks an *excellent* question - do those on that other site who think b-town sounds good actually LIVE IN the PS area?  (and are familiar with both towns.)

Was this other internet group featuring people from the area who actually understand the commute, or were they just random folks who were basing their answers on how you described the two commutes and locales? I live in the Puget Sound area, and I would never choose Bremerton over Edmonds unless my husband worked over there. For a job in downtown Seattle, no way, never, which is pretty much what every other person on this board who actually lives in this area has said.

It's clear that you prefer Bremerton. Just be sure before you move there that you will really prefer it in when the ferry isn't running because of a bomb scare or a mechanical issue or high winds. Be sure you'll really prefer it when it consistently adds an hour and a half to his work day on both ends. That extra three hours a day is a big deal to a lot of people, yet you seem to want your husband to spend it commuting so that you don't have to go to a laundromat. Take some of the money you save by not taking the ferry all the time and buy a washer if it's that big of a deal.

You seem to really believe that if he misses his train, he won't be able to come home, but that's absolutely ridiculous. As others have said, buses do run to Edmonds. It's actually not that far of a drive anyway, so if I lived in Edmonds and my husband worked in downtown Seattle and he missed the train, I'd just drive down and get him. No big deal. Or he could take the bus to a park and ride up north. Again, no big deal.

I know I sound harsh, but I'm really absolutely boggled that you seem that set on Bremerton, of all places.

bingo.

I live about 15 minutes by car from the Edmonds ferry terminal.  It's hard to believe there aren't laundromats closer than that.  But if that is true, then I would choose someplace that has washing facilities closer.  That is something you would have to do weekly at a minimum, and taking your children along would be a hassle.  When I was single, I bought a used washer/dryer that fit in my one bedroom apartment even though there were washing facilities in my complex.  That might be an option for you.

Every year I hear about mudslides that interrupt the train traveling, but I don't know if they bring buses in to accommodate the people in those cases.  

I know some people find Bremerton a nice place to live, but if I had even one car available, I would choose Edmonds so that I could travel to all the other lovely places more easily in the Puget Sound region.  I wasn't quite sure if your family would have a car at all.  Traveling on the ferry is fun when exploring the area, but on a daily basis I think it would get old. There are nice homeschooling opportunities near the Edmonds area too.  I don't know about Bremerton for that.  

• Like 2

Every year I hear about mudslides that interrupt the train traveling, but I don't know if they bring buses in to accommodate the people in those cases.

The do bring in busses.

This was just in the news today.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/traffic/2015/11/10/ferry-captain-shortage-wsdot-service/75509038/

Every year it seems it's something. One year it was a work slowdown by employees that canceled boats, another year it was drunk captains. Unlike Edmonds, if the boats don't run you are not getting into Seattle without a loooong car ride.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input and ideas - I really appreciate it. 

Note - it looks like training for a Ferry Boat captain might be a good job opportunity for some younger adults in the area. 

Well... yeah, but the training takes years and the salaries only go so high. A lot of people get started in that field and then leave before hitting anything near captain. There's a reason.

Traveling on the ferry is fun when exploring the area, but on a daily basis I think it would get old.

This, so much. I know people who commute by ferry. None of them commutes fewer than three hours per day to and from downtown Seattle. Three hours is a long time. I get the idea of living in a cute, tiny community but this just can't be understated.

The football coach thing is just small town politicking and the hippies vs. hicks that goes on all over the Northwest. Edmonds won't have nearly as much of that, but for entertainment small town drama can't be beat! :D

• Like 2