Menu

Help - need dinner recipe for tonight using ground beef

sheryl

PLEASE help my sanity.  LOL! 

I'm tired, as is my family, with the same ground beef recipes.

I have ground beef to use, fried.    Please send me your recipes...

In the kitchen, I have:  cabbage, winter, acorn and butternut, zucchini, roma tomatoes, potatoes, onion, carrots, parsnips, maybe more.  Also, I have various Campbell's condensed soups, sour cream and the like, rice, pasta...

Would like a casserole idea (not burger on a bun).

I want something really different.  My dh and dd don't like foods that are too spicy.  I do but if I make something that is meant to be that way, I'll back off on the heat a bit.

OK, you have your orders, now march to it.   :)   PLEASE!

So, I have a recipe called a Copenhagen Cabbage casserole.  As far as I know, totally not authentic.

It is pretty simple.  You fry your ground beef and onion.  If yours is fried, just add fried onion.  Then you want to add some tomato sauce.  Just enough to make it slightly saucy, but it should be mostly beef and onion. (I often use leftover spaghetti sauce, but a little watered down tomato paste or something else could work too.)  Add a little ground clove and nutmeg to taste.

Use some sort of casserole dish with a lid.

Slice the cabbage up.

Put a layer of cabbage in the dish, then a layer of the beef mix.  Carry on for two or three more layers, ending with the beef on top.

Cook covered in a 350 degree oven for about 35 min.

I like to serve it with buttered noodles or boiled potatoes (with sour cream maybe) and carrots.

• Like 1

I've made beef stroganoff using ground beef.  That works well.  http://www.food.com/recipe/ground-beef-stroganoff-123503

We do basically like an unstuffed pepper thing.  This uses left over rice (brown or white).  In one pan, you put up sliced bell peppers (I usually buy a bag of the red, yellow, orange mini ones) in olive oil with salt and pepper until caramelized.  In another pan, cook ground beef with chopped onion, salt and pepper.  Once cooked, add in one can of tomato sauce (14 oz), onion powder, and about 2 T of worcestershire sauce.   Cook for a few minutes, then add in leftover rice and peppers.  Cook again for 3-5 minutes and adjust seasoning and serve.  

• Like 1

We like Bev's Meatballs (Bev was a sweet lady in my church growing up, so you can just name these after whoever you'd like.) 
ETA: NOT a casserole, obviously. But, still yummy. 

1lb hamburger

2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed

8 crackers, crushed to a powder (we use saltines)

1 egg

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 can water

Mix meat, egg, crackers, and bouillon. Form into balls. Place into skillet and brown on each side over medium-low/medium heat until thoroughly cooked. 

Remove meatballs, drain grease. 

Mix together soup and water in skillet, scraping up any bits of meatball still in pan. Add meatballs and warm soup/gravy mixture until a low boil. 
Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.

(Rice was always my favorite. Loved the combo of the meatballs, gravy, and rice.) 

• Like 1

This is not particularly exciting, but tonight we are making spaghetti and meatballs, made with hamburger.  Easy! My dd is making the meatballs now!

I'm thinking of Zuppa Toscana (like olive garden) for tomorrow. http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298 You can add sausage seasoning to your ground beef.  And you could use cabbage in place of the kale. Yummy!

• Like 1

Mmm, love shepherd's pie. A friend recently shared some Korean beef - it is good.

Hamburger soup, lasagna, ground beef turnovers (time consuming), lazy cabbage roll casserole, Salisbury steaks with oven baked veggies, Hamburger Goulash American (a homemade hamburger helper type of meal).

• Like 1

Cheeseburger Soup

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheeseburger-soup

It's served on a bun, but my kids love this BBQ recipe, which is different than the traditional BBQ:

BBQ

3 lb lean hamburger.......browned and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Combine and heat....serve and enjoy. Feeds 15

• Like 1

She needs to be looking for cottage pie recipes if she has beef: shepherd's pie is lamb.

Technically yes, but I don't know anyone around here who actually uses lamb for anything as it is very expensive (double if not triple the cost of ground beef).  It's a pretty uncommon meat in my area.  On the other hand, shepherd's pie is a common name used around here. I have never even heard of cottage pie until coming to the well trained mind boards.  And the recipe's I've seen called shepherd's pie do call for ground beef (which I realize isn't technically correct but does seem to be the prevelant term)

• Like 3

Technically yes, but I don't know anyone around here who actually uses lamb for anything as it is very expensive (double if not triple the cost of ground beef).  It's a pretty uncommon meat in my area.  On the other hand, shepherd's pie is a common name used around here. I have never even heard of cottage pie until coming to the well trained mind boards.  And the recipe's I've seen called shepherd's pie do call for ground beef (which I realize isn't technically correct but does seem to be the prevelant term)

That seems so odd.  Shepherds after all....

• Like 4

Once it was pointed out to me, yeah I would have to agree with that (like I said I spent my whole life eating shepherd's pie and never gave it a thought because no one ever ate lamb).  But at the same time, I'm not sure cottage equates to ground beef any better, unless I'm missing some connection (which is a complete possibility).  But hey this is American afterall, we do a lot of things that don't make sense to anyone elsewhere.

She needs to be looking for cottage pie recipes if she has beef: shepherd's pie is lamb.

Not in the US, where we* don't eat much lamb. We even have vegetarian shepherd's pie! And really, the recipes are pretty much the same, aren't they? Just sub out whichever meat or meat substitute and call it a day.

Oh, these are vegetarian shepherds. They keep the sheep for their wool and milk, and would never, ever slaughter one of their beloved pets!

* Well, I eat lamb pretty much every week. My family loves lamb! But if I want to get ground lamb I have to ask at the butcher's counter for it specially, and it costs way more than ground beef, turkey, chicken, or pork.

• Like 1

I made sausage rolls today with minced beef.

ingredients

1 packed of pre-rolled puff pastry ( 6 sheets)

1 kg minced beef

1 onion

2 carrots

pepper

parsley

1/3 cup bread crumbs

defrost pastry sheets

grate carrots and onions

mix all ingredients  with your hand

cut pastry sheets in half , place meat mix like sausages along the long side of pastry, roll up, cut into shortish lengths, baste with milk put on oven trays and bake in hot oven 210 oC

serve with salad

• Like 1

OK, thanks everyone!   These sound amazing. 

After I posted this, I was not able to return to it for an hour or two.  Well, TWC would NOT let me back on.  Here I was trying to get to these recipes to make one and I couldn't.  Why isn't there an alternative to TWC?   Stay a monopoly but deliver a better product.   I'm knocked off the computer several times in a 30 minute window.  Needless to say, when I need to spend more time, I don't because in my frustration I just call it a day and try the next. 

Here it is the next day and saying thanks a little late.

I had to make hamburger patties again.  I'll try one of these soon!